Horizontal L/C/R options? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My home theater room setup with projector screen leaves me with about 30" from the floor to the bottom of the projector screen, and my projector takes up the entire wall so I do not have room for tower speakers on either side of the screen. I can run bookshelf L/R speakers but would have to run 10-12" speaker stands for them to sit on to keep me under 30" tall. Another option would be to run 3 speakers horizontally for L/R/C. Anyone running horizontal L/C/R? What are some good options for speakers to go this route and would there be any degradation to go this route vs bookshelf speakers on short stands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked: 3055
What is your budget?

----------------
Who AM I
post #3 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 188
You should be okay, just avoid MTM designs. There are some "bookshelves" that go mighty loud though, how far away are you seating positions? Also budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
What is your budget?
Budget is flexible, but would like to stay $3K for all 3 speakers up front or less.
post #5 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
You should be okay, just avoid MTM designs. There are some "bookshelves" that go mighty loud though, how far away are you seating positions? Also budget?
$3K budget for the front 3 speakers or less. My seating position is 11 feet for the first row of chairs and about 15' second row.
post #6 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
$3K budget for the front 3 speakers or less. My seating position is 11 feet for the first row of chairs and about 15' second row.
Triad has a lot of options in different configurations. The reason I like their center is the tweeter isn't right smack in the middle of the woofers, it's placed higher to reduce lobbing
https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...bronze-center/
Maybe @Dawn Gordon can chime in with other Triad options. I wish I could price check Triads easier for you, but I'm pretty certain those are well within your budget.

If you want more efficiency you could look at Power Sound Audio:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...oducts/mt-110c

I'm a bit worried for the second row because the speakers would fire into the front row. Is the second row used a lot?
post #7 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
My home theater room setup with projector screen leaves me with about 30" from the floor to the bottom of the projector screen, and my projector takes up the entire wall so I do not have room for tower speakers on either side of the screen. I can run bookshelf L/R speakers but would have to run 10-12" speaker stands for them to sit on to keep me under 30" tall. Another option would be to run 3 speakers horizontally for L/R/C. Anyone running horizontal L/C/R? What are some good options for speakers to go this route and would there be any degradation to go this route vs bookshelf speakers on short stands?
RSL CG23 & CG25 can be used in a triple horizontal configuration. You didn't list your budget so here's both, pick one:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/

EDIT: Just saw you said you budget was 3k$, in that case, definitely go for the CG25 x 3. These don't fill up your budget, but they aren't very many that I personally know of that work fine in a horizontal config.

Last edited by jvorn33; 09-22-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #8 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Triad has a lot of options in different configurations. The reason I like their center is the tweeter isn't right smack in the middle of the woofers, it's placed higher to reduce lobbing
https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...bronze-center/
Maybe @Dawn Gordon can chime in with other Triad options. I wish I could price check Triads easier for you, but I'm pretty certain those are well within your budget.

If you want more efficiency you could look at Power Sound Audio:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...oducts/mt-110c

I'm a bit worried for the second row because the speakers would fire into the front row. Is the second row used a lot?
The second row will be used about 50% of the time. I wondered if using 3 horizontal speakers with them angled up towards the listening area would be best. One option Inam considering are the Chane a2.4 all horizontal but will consider all options.
post #9 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorn33 View Post
Quote:
RSL CG23 & CG25 can be used in a triple horizontal configuration. You didn't list your budget so here's both, pick one:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...enter-channel/

EDIT: Just saw you said you budget was 3k$, in that case, definitely go for the CG25 x 3. These don't fill up your budget, but they aren't very many that I personally know of that work fine in a horizontal config.
Thanks! Would you recommend the CG5 bookshelves for the rear surrounds?
post #10 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
The second row will be used about 50% of the time. I wondered if using 3 horizontal speakers with them angled up towards the listening area would be best. One option Inam considering are the Chane a2.4 all horizontal but will consider all options.
I'm not familiar with Chane. You just need to make sure your second row has a clear light of sight to the front LCRs, if the front row is blocking them that's a problem.
post #11 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
They are great and would for sure work for that!

EDIT: You could get this bundle:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...heater-system/

But their Subwoofer is sold out until October. You might want a different/bigger sub anyways. I did design a theater for my dad that had 2 of their subs and it does sound amazing, but being a 10" it juuuuust doesn't quite dig as deep as you'd want if you are a bass head (my dad isn't). That being said, it's probably one of the very best 10" subs you can get and is amazing for the price.

Rumor has it they have either a 12" or 15" on the way but nothing concrete yet.

Last edited by jvorn33; 09-22-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #12 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorn33 View Post
Quote:
They are great and would for sure work for that!

EDIT: You could get this bundle:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...heater-system/

But their Subwoofer is sold out until October. You might want a different/bigger sub anyways. I did design a theater for my dad that had 2 of their subs and it does sound amazing, but being a 10" it juuuuust doesn't quite dig as deep as you'd want if you are a bass head (my dad isn't). That being said, it's probably one of the very best 10" subs you can get and is amazing for the price.

Rumor has it they have either a 12" or 15" on the way but nothing concrete yet.
Thanks, think I have decided on the Rythmik F18 for the sub so got that covered.
post #13 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Before suggesting a Triad LCR solution I'm going to need to know the dimensions of your room (WDH).

I highly recommend going vertical rather than horizontal if possible. Also, Triad is well-known for its InWall speaker implementations, so you might wish to consider this as well.

[email protected]
post #14 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Before suggesting a Triad LCR solution I'm going to need to know the dimensions of your room (WDH).

I highly recommend going vertical rather than horizontal if possible. Also, Triad is well-known for its InWall speaker implementations, so you might wish to consider this as well.

[email protected]
post #15 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Quote:

My room is 12x22, 8' ceilings. The front of the room only has a 94" wide wall (other 4' of width is hallway) to put my projector screen and my screen takes up the entire wall so I do not have room to put speakers on either side of the screen so whatever I do has to go under the screen. I do not have a lot of room to raise my screen any higher without making the viewing angle uncomfortable so need a solution no higher than 30" tall if that makes sense.
post #16 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1670
And now for something completely different: three Hsu CCB-8s. http://hsuresearch.com/products/ccbspkrpkg.html

They're coaxial speakers, with the advantages and problems of those. One of the advantages is that there is no "beaming" in any orientation.

Hsu recommends a large toe-in for LR. That disturbs some people.

I'm using CCB-8s for my fronts, and HB-1 Mk2s for the additional 4 base speakers.
post #17 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
And now for something completely different: three Hsu CCB-8s. http://hsuresearch.com/products/ccbspkrpkg.html

They're coaxial speakers, with the advantages and problems of those. One of the advantages is that there is no "beaming" in any orientation.

Hsu recommends a large toe-in for LR. That disturbs some people.

I'm using CCB-8s for my fronts, and HB-1 Mk2s for the additional 4 base speakers.
Do they come with a grille?

Last edited by flyinrazrback; 09-22-2019 at 10:06 AM.
post #18 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
My room is 12x22, 8' ceilings. The front of the room only has a 94" wide wall (other 4' of width is hallway) to put my projector screen and my screen takes up the entire wall so I do not have room to put speakers on either side of the screen so whatever I do has to go under the screen. I do not have a lot of room to raise my screen any higher without making the viewing angle uncomfortable so need a solution no higher than 30" tall if that makes sense.
Why not frame out the wall and go acoustically transparent? Sounds expensive but it's literally 2x4s, below and above the screen you can just use clothe rather than drywall (and put insulation behind there for treatment).
post #19 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 1670
Quote:
Do they come with a grille?
Yes. A rigid one.

It's not full sized; it just covers the drivers.

The yellow woofer cone shows through it to some degree.
post #20 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Why not frame out the wall and go acoustically transparent? Sounds expensive but it's literally 2x4s, below and above the screen you can just use clothe rather than drywall (and put insulation behind there for treatment).
If I didn't already have my screen I would consider it
post #21 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ascend Acoustics recently launched the Luna Duo. They’re not on their website yet, but you can call or email to place your order. Someone posted a couple of pictures from the first production run here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...nitor!/page107

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stereo: Buchardt S400, Van Alstine Vision SET 400 & Transcendence 10RB, Schiit Bifrost.
Home Theater: Ascend Sierra 2 EX for LRC, Sierra Luna’s for rear, HTM-200s for front and top Atmos. Dual PSA 15S subs. Denon X6400 with Parasound HCA-1500A driving mains.
post #22 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW1982 View Post
Ascend Acoustics recently launched the Luna Duo. They’re not on their website yet, but you can call or email to place your order. Someone posted a couple of pictures from the first production run here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...nitor!/page107

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boggles my mind why manufacturers don't just update their website. It's really not that hard, even on Dave's 1990s-tier website.

I'd be more likely to recommend the MTs rather than the MTMs, and then have the tweeters in the inside, so prevent lobbing. Honestly I think the Triads would work better for this application if he goes MTM since the Triad's have accounted for the lobbing by moving the tweeter up. Just a hunch, and if he can't find measurements to compare, I'd say the Triads would be safer. The Ascends are great speakers but I think he is intending those to be just a center channel.
post #23 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 2635
Is there room above the screen? Given you have two rows, the front row will block the sound if the speakers are so low to the ground.
craig john likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #24 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have about a foot above the screen but could lower the screen a bit if needed. If I did anything up top would want some in wall speakers for a cleaner look.
post #25 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 3139 Post(s)
Liked: 3055
DCM TP160 towers -- they are priced to move from former discount pricing -- 30-1/2 inches tall -- buy 3 and use one as a center -- DCM has good dynamics for movies and can take some power
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCM-MTX-Aud...item2cf4db09a7

Cherry finish is cheaper
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-T...item2cf593b426

----------------
Who AM I
post #26 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I have about a foot above the screen but could lower the screen a bit if needed. If I did anything up top would want some in wall speakers for a cleaner look.
I guess you could do angled in ceilings or something, but really you should probably just get an acoustically transparent screen and put some inwalls behind it.
RayGuy likes this.
post #27 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Chane A2.4 is a fantastic speaker. I'd have no problem running three of them horizontally up front.
BufordTJustice likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #28 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If I were considering 3 horizontal LCR's, I'd want something with good horizontal dispersion. The person sitting in the left seat has to listen to the right speaker after all (and vice versa). I'd probably look for something with the type of configuration of the Polk LSiM 706c. A 3-way speaker with the mid and tweeter aligned vertically should have better (more consistent) horizontal dispersion because the crossover from the mid to the woofers can be pushed low enough that the woofers work as one, rather than creating interference patterns.

Of course, configuration isn't everything... there's also implementation.
post #29 of 47 Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 712
I agree with the previous poster, if you absolutely have to go horizontal, grab 3 centers like the Polk 704, 706, Revel C208 or alternatively get 3 KEF centers, the UniQ midrange has even dispersion in all directions, this will really be your best option. KEF R2c are 1199 but I'd bet if you bought 3 a local KEF dealer may give them to you for 3k for all 3. Whatever you decide, make sure to place them on short stands that put them as close to your screen as possible.
post #30 of 47 Old 09-23-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, based on your room size you would be just fine with Triad Bronze LCRs which are less expensive and smaller than Silver LCRs. If you want to see the Triad Room size guide I would be happy to email it to you.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page