Buying pricey speakers without hearing them! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #1 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Buying pricey speakers without hearing them!

My mind is incessantly telling me that a certain 4000 dollar pair of speakers is the best thing money can buy! I have no way to audit them. I live in the middle of a damn farm! What's the max price you'd go for in a pair of speakers without hearing them? Yes, unfortunately the vendor won't take them back (if i don't like them) unless they're defective.

What do i do fellas? What do i do?

P.S
Yes, 4k is a big chunk for me. It may be a small chunk for others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Buying pricey speakers without hearing them!

How is the re-sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stereo: Buchardt S400, Van Alstine Vision SET 400 & Transcendence 10RB, Schiit Bifrost.
Home Theater: Ascend Sierra 2 EX for LRC, Sierra Luna’s for rear, HTM-200s for front and top Atmos. Dual PSA 15S subs. Denon X6400 with Parasound HCA-1500A driving mains.
post #3 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2118 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Abraham View Post
My mind is incessantly telling me that a certain 4000 dollar pair of speakers is the best thing money can buy! I have no way to audit them. I live in the middle of a damn farm! What's the max price you'd go for in a pair of speakers without hearing them? Yes, unfortunately the vendor won't take them back (if i don't like them) unless they're defective.

P.S
honestly i would find some return friendly options for purchase .. for instance kef ls 50's from amazon or jbl's or basically anything with free shipping & returns.. the extra few dollars of sales price involved in those kind of deals might be well offset by the peace of mind you get ...
psuKinger likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW1982 View Post
How is the re-sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re-sale value doesn't look too good. Most folks in my rural area will NEVER buy in this price range if i put it on craigslist. Of course, I will be losing money on ebay.
EM3 likes this.

2 Channel Music Home Use: Yamaha NS-F901 floorstanders, Yamaha A-S2100 amp, Yamaha A-S801 amp
2.1 Channel Shop use: JBL Loft 50 floorstanders, HSU VTF2 MK5 Sub, Pioneer Elite LX-102
post #5 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
honestly i would find some return friendly options for purchase .. for instance kef ls 50's from amazon or jbl's or basically anything with free shipping & returns.. the extra few dollars of sales price involved in those kind of deals might be well offset by the peace of mind you get ...
Yeah, i see your point...But, yeah, gambling is stressful.
Lp85253 likes this.

2 Channel Music Home Use: Yamaha NS-F901 floorstanders, Yamaha A-S2100 amp, Yamaha A-S801 amp
2.1 Channel Shop use: JBL Loft 50 floorstanders, HSU VTF2 MK5 Sub, Pioneer Elite LX-102
post #6 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2118 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
Quote:
Yeah, i see your point...But, yeah, gambling is stressful.
i get the curiosity factor of "great"speakers.. but you may be better off finding something that won't be a pia to return... best of luck , i hope you end up with great speakers..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #7 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Be nice if you let us know what speakers they are and maybe some have them and can tell you all about em.
Lp85253 and TEA FOR ONE like this.
post #8 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
I can only speak for me -- but I would buy any of these

Revel Performa3 F206 -- sold each
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265F20...ss-Walnut.html

Revel PerformaBe M126 -- sold each
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...maBe_M126.html

Canton Vento Reference 3 -- sold each (AC4L) .... however if one desires, you can pay about $4,500 each at Sound Approach
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...urchase/1.html

Canton Vento Reference 9.2 -- sold each -- or pay more at Sound Approach
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ry-pair/1.html

But good speakers can also come cheaper

Ascend Sierra Tower -- sold by the pair
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/SRT/srt.html

Salk Song3 -- sold by the pair
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Song3

Salk Veracity HT1 -- by the pair
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity%20HT1

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-22-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #9 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
No way I would spend 4G on a speaker I cannot return...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #10 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 596
I live in the middle of a "damn farm" also. What does that have to do with anything? What is being grown on this "damn farm"? I wouldn't buy a $100 set of garage speakers without hearing them, or being ok with the owner regarding a return.
SuperFist likes this.
post #11 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
My mind is incessantly telling me that a certain 4000 dollar pair of speakers is the best thing money can buy! I have no way to audit them.
If someone is on a tight budget, and if someone owns a set of speakers like something from the JBL Loft series -- then no need to spend close to $4000 to cleanly beat them ...... and a place like Crutchfield has $10 returns on bookshelves and $75 on towers if one does not like a set of speakers they buy.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 09-22-2019 at 08:05 PM.
post #12 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 4136
I bought JBL M2s without hearing them and just recently bought Revel 228be without hearing them. I subscribe to the philosophy that neutral speakers with measurements sound good. I also have been a Harman customer for years and have never gotten a lemon yet. I was not disappointed with the M2 and I am sure I will like the Revels when they arrive.
bear123 and Rex Anderson like this.
post #13 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

P.S
IMO, you need to listen to them, as what might sound good to others may sound different to you. I went to a HIFI AV store that many speakers, I tried B&W speakers and in my budget but I went with a different brand.
Good luck.
Newbie789 likes this.
post #14 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=William Abraham;58594172]My mind is incessantly telling me that a certain 4000 dollar pair of speakers is the best thing money can buy! I have no way to audit them. I live in the middle of a damn farm! What's the max price you'd go for in a pair of speakers without hearing them? Yes, unfortunately the vendor won't take them back (if i don't like them) unless they're defective.

Leave the damn farm for the South side of Chicago. I am sure there are plenty of reputable A/V dealers left who will accommodate you.
post #15 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7236 Post(s)
Liked: 5552
Quote:

P.S
First off, what speakers do you currently own and have owned, if any?

Are you primarily a music listener, or an HT user?

If you are a newbie, you may well find yourself absolutely thrilled with a well chosen $400 pair of speakers, especially if you're coming from say, HTIB speakers or (gods help you) Bose jewel cubes. Particularly if you are mainly a TV/movies/gaming user rather than music.

So, a bit more info please.

And remember that every damn two-bit salesperson or promotional ad copy is going to love to use the "you get what you pay for" bread-and-butter sales pitch. If you assume that high price always means high quality/performance, you are every salesperson's wet dream.
suprolla, Matt2026 and leecreek like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

P.S

Short answer is I wouldn't invest unless I'd heard them, but I recently bought some JBLs at that price point without hearing them and it worked out. I'm fairly familiar with JBL so was confident about what I was getting into.
post #17 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:

P.S
OK, Bill.
First of all, you don't have your location under your Avatar.
2nd, the Internet, this forum & others are your friends.

Don't be impatient. Guessing your background, you want the best price\value ratio you feel comfortable with.
Hang around for 6 months.
Take it from me, I've been here since the late 90's regardless of what my sig says.
This forum is the single best resource directly or indirectly, for most everything A/V related because of the members.

Read, read, read.
Use your common sense and reach out to members that you become comfortable with here.
Most everyone here is willing to share more than you want or need in opinions
HTH
Cal68, suprolla and Matt2026 like this.

post #18 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
If someone is on a tight budget, and if someone owns a set of speakers like something from the JBL Loft series -- then no need to spend close to $4000 to cleanly beat them ...... and a place like Crutchfield has $10 returns on bookshelves and $75 on towers if one does not like a set of speakers they buy.
Yes, yes, i run a pair of JBL lofts in my shop. They're pretty good actually! You should try em. My more recent acquisition for my mancave at home was a pair of SVS pinnacles . I bought them without auditing of course and I paid a li'l less than 2k for these. But, i'm not all that happy with them. Hence, i was planning to donate the SVS's to a younger sibling of mine and upgrade to a 4000 dollar pair. Now, you see why i'm a bit nervous.

post #19 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Yes, yes, i run a pair of JBL lofts in my shop. They're pretty good actually! You should try em. My more recent acquisition for my mancave at home was a pair of SVS pinnacles . I bought them without auditing of course and I paid a li'l less than 2k for these. But, i'm not all that happy with them. Hence, i was planning to donate the SVS's to a younger sibling of mine and upgrade to a 4000 dollar pair. Now, you see why i'm a bit nervous.
What are the speakers that you're going to pay $4k for?

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #20 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
First off, what speakers do you currently own and have owned, if any?

Are you primarily a music listener, or an HT user?

If you are a newbie, you may well find yourself absolutely thrilled with a well chosen $400 pair of speakers, especially if you're coming from say, HTIB speakers or (gods help you) Bose jewel cubes. Particularly if you are mainly a TV/movies/gaming user rather than music.

So, a bit more info please.

And remember that every damn two-bit salesperson or promotional ad copy is going to love to use the "you get what you pay for" bread-and-butter sales pitch. If you assume that high price always means high quality/performance, you are every salesperson's wet dream.
Music only. I don't watch TV or do that HT thing anymore. I own a pair of SVS pinnacles now and they didn't cut it for my eclectic music collection man (heavy metal, house, trance, classic rock, bluegrass, etc, etc)
psuKinger likes this.
post #21 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
What are the speakers that you're going to pay $4k for?
Focal 936 (aria)

post #22 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It's fine as long as this speaker engineering goals (and their completion by manufacturer) match with your needs and you are hundred percent sure those are what you need and are the only option on the market.
post #23 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Be nice if you let us know what speakers they are and maybe some have them and can tell you all about em.
Focal aria 936,

post #24 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Focal 936 (aria)
If only you knew that you would really like them -- then you would save $1000 from AC4L

----------------
Who AM I
post #25 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If only you knew that you would really like them -- then you would save $1000 from AC4L
Pondered the idea very much. It's a scam site though. I assume you're talking about accessories4less

post #26 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 10:50 PM

But you can save $1200 from World Wide Stereo and free shipping -- 60 day returns, but you pay return shipping

----------------
Who AM I
post #27 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But you can save $1200 from World Wide Stereo and free shipping -- 60 day returns, but you pay return shipping
Holy sht....Upon verification, it does indeed have a 30% discount all of a sudden on this website. 60 day returns/return shipping ( i suppose i could eat that return shipping). Man....You're startin to become my favorite guy on this forum. Thank you! Focal, here i come.

post #28 of 96 Old 09-22-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
When you live in a ~100 personnel town like me, it's hard to find a store that will let you audit high end audio. Now, that's what i was referring to. So calm yourself down. Your farm is great and so is mine. But, there are pros and cons to every place. South side of Chicago eh? Well, when i was deployed back in the days, I served with a guy from the south side of Chicago. It's a small world i suppose. I've been there a coupla times actually and had a very good time. Hmmm, you don't think the south side of Chicago is all that reputable huh? Where'd you hear that? Cos i thought it felt very reputable and amicable.

1. if you're going to think about spending $4,000 on a pair of speakers you should shell out $300 to buy a plane ticket and take a weekend off to go listen to them.

2. Is the $4,000 price RETAIL MSRP? Or is this a significant discount from the MSRP?
mlknez, Cal68, Newbie789 and 2 others like this.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
post #29 of 96 Old 09-23-2019, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
1. if you're going to think about spending $4,000 on a pair of speakers you should shell out $300 to buy a plane ticket and take a weekend off to go listen to them.

2. Is the $4,000 price RETAIL MSRP? Or is this a significant discount from the MSRP?
I think that's the full retail.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #30 of 96 Old 09-23-2019, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pondered the idea very much. It's a scam site though. I assume you're talking about accessories4less

Scam site? Seriously? Based on what? I have a couple pieces that will prove that not to be true.
SuperFist and Soulburner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page