Which channel benefits most from "better" speakers - Atmos or Surround? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryan Statz
  • 1 Post By Gyroscopics
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By vavan

post #1 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which channel benefits most from "better" speakers - Atmos or Surround?

I'm adding 2 ceiling Atmos speakers to go from 5.2.0 to 5.2.2 with my Denon AVR-X3600H.

Due to room setup (open family room with no back wall), I currently have 2 Polk RC80i ceiling speakers serving as Surrounds - above and slightly behind primary listening row (I know, not ideal, but no easy way to have these on floor - not to mention disapproval of wife).

I'll keep those RC80is and likely purchase (what I assume are) better quality Ceiling speakers to add height / Atmos. Considering the RSL C34E or Sonance MAG8R from Bestbuy Magnolia.

My question is...
Where would the new "better" speakers be most beneficial (in Atmos role or Surround role)?
In other words, should I move the current RC80i to work as Atmos speakers (new holes further forward) and then place, new (better) ceiling speakers in (current hole and) role of Surround?

Thanks for your help!
Brad

Current setup:
Denon AVR-X3600H
DefTech BP 7006 (Front L/R)
DefTech CS9040 (Center)
Polk RC80i (Surround L/R)
?? To be determined for Atmos height ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 313
The general order of importance for HT is Centre/Subwoofer > Front LR > Surrounds > Rear Surrounds > Atmos

I may be wrong, but that’s the order I would place them. So it would probably be more beneficial for you to have the “better” speakers as your surrounds. Atmos is more or less only for atmospheric texturing, so they don’t typically have to be high-end speakers.
Brad Phillips and dowop like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 278
If you listen to a lot of multi-ch music (DVD-Audio/SACD) then matching side surrounds matter more than atmos or surround back speakers. If you watch a lot of content with Atmos sound track or if you "force" height speakers in your receiver even for non-Atmos (or non-Auro) content, then Atmos speakers are as relevant as side surrounds, with surround back still having the least impact.
Brad Phillips likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
IMO for HT or any type of listening- Mains>Sub(s)>Center>Surrounds>Atmos
Brad Phillips likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another use case: if you are a gamer, then rear surrounds would be equally as important as side surrounds to ensure a uniform sound quality for all 360 degrees. For gaming, you'd benefit far more from a 7.1.0 than a 5.1.2. Atmos isn't a factor in gaming yet, except for a few Xbox One titles.

AVR: Denon X4400H 7.1.4; 80% gaming, 20% movies, <1% music
Speakers: Klipsch RP-450C; L/R Klipsch RP-250F; Side & Rear: Klipsch R-51M; Height: JBL 2.5" satellites; SVS PC-4000;
Platform: Xbox One X on LG E8 55" OLED
Room from hell: 16x16x18' open loft, thin walls, hard surfaces, lots of street noise
post #6 of 7 Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroscopics View Post
If you listen to a lot of multi-ch music (DVD-Audio/SACD) then matching side surrounds matter more than atmos or surround back speakers. If you watch a lot of content with Atmos sound track or if you "force" height speakers in your receiver even for non-Atmos (or non-Auro) content, then Atmos speakers are as relevant as side surrounds, with surround back still having the least impact.
when listening to stereo tracks upscaled via DSU in my pioneer avr I can hear much more coming from FH than from surrounds so I believe in such scenario improving height speakers might bring more added value
yanks1 likes this.

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202, Takstar HF 580
post #7 of 7 Old 10-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 158
You may want to consider the hole size needed for the new ceiling speakers. If the Polks are larger than the new ceiling speakers that could be the deciding factor for you. The RC80i have that bezel or trim ring around the grill while a lot of others ceiling speakers don’t. So if the new ceiling speakers are slightly smaller you could have a visible gap around the speakers. Check the dimensions is all I’m saying.
As far speaker placement use the better speakers as surrounds and I say that since your rear surrounds will probably see more content than the ATMOS speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page