Auralex Products Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Auralex Products Questions

My klipsch center channel sat on top of an rack mountable ups that sits on a cheap tv stand. Its a little low so i angled it up with some rubber door stops which seemed to do the trick. Noticed that one of the door stops was caving in so i went with my original idea which was the Auralex Mopad XL. Set it up a few days ago and didnt think much about it. When i went to watch last night there was a very noticeable difference in the sound. Definitely clearer and somewhat harsher. Also perceived it to be louder. So my question is, whats up with that? I was pretty surprised as i never considered, and didnt expect any change in the sound.

Also, wondering if there would benefit to do some isolation on the subwoofers. They sit on carpet on a concrete floor.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
dwander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
jcr159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NE Ohio (Go Steelers!)
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 93
you are benefiting likely from reduction in resonances in the surface you couple the speaker to. It will likely give you improvements to the subs as well by reducing resonance in the structure of your room.. it's just a decoupling benefit, but can be real...

you don't need an Auralex solution though...

anything squishy does the trick... mousepads are a cheap solution that work, and you can stack them if you need to or cut them... SVS has soundpath isolation feet that are resonably priced for subs that work well as well, but still more expensive than mousepads...

good trick to figure out if they will help with subs, get a thick heavy comforter and fold it up thick and set the sub on it... it does enough most of the time (unless you have a couple hundred pound sub, then it compresses too much) to demonstrate if you'll hear a difference...

but.... mousepads...

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
jcr159 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
you are benefiting likely from reduction in resonances in the surface you couple the speaker to. It will likely give you improvements to the subs as well by reducing resonance in the structure of your room.. it's just a decoupling benefit, but can be real...

you don't need an Auralex solution though...

anything squishy does the trick... mousepads are a cheap solution that work, and you can stack them if you need to or cut them... SVS has soundpath isolation feet that are resonably priced for subs that work well as well, but still more expensive than mousepads...

good trick to figure out if they will help with subs, get a thick heavy comforter and fold it up thick and set the sub on it... it does enough most of the time (unless you have a couple hundred pound sub, then it compresses too much) to demonstrate if you'll hear a difference...

but.... mousepads...
I would have just thought that the foam and the door stop would have the same effect. But obviously the foam is a better source of isolation.

I want to try something with the subs. i dont have mouse pads but i do have a set of those thick rubber anti vibration pads meant for washing machines. I also have those furniture feet cups from home depot. As well as some rubber feet from Buttkicker. I could try one of those and see if it does anything.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
dwander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
jcr159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NE Ohio (Go Steelers!)
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
I would have just thought that the foam and the door stop would have the same effect. But obviously the foam is a better source of isolation.

I want to try something with the subs. i dont have mouse pads but i do have a set of those thick rubber anti vibration pads meant for washing machines. I also have those furniture feet cups from home depot. As well as some rubber feet from Buttkicker. I could try one of those and see if it does anything.

Worth a try, the cost is right!

I have the isolators for my washing machine too... they are pretty dense rubber though... curious to hear your results though! Good luck!

Maybe some cheap pads on amazon are worth a shot too just to experiment....
jcr159 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,072
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
My klipsch center channel sat on top of an rack mountable ups that sits on a cheap tv stand. Its a little low so i angled it up with some rubber door stops which seemed to do the trick. Noticed that one of the door stops was caving in so i went with my original idea which was the Auralex Mopad XL. Set it up a few days ago and didnt think much about it. When i went to watch last night there was a very noticeable difference in the sound. Definitely clearer and somewhat harsher. Also perceived it to be louder. So my question is, whats up with that? I was pretty surprised as i never considered, and didnt expect any change in the sound.



Also, wondering if there would benefit to do some isolation on the subwoofers. They sit on carpet on a concrete floor.
100% agree with this. I needed something to lift my bookshelf left and right speakers just a tad so they were ear level so I get Auralex foam pads. I didn't think anything about improving the sound but just to lift them up a tad. To my surprise I found they did indeed improve the sound. I have very sturdy metal speaker stands so they definitely killed any resonance.
I also needed something to angle my center speaker which is an identical bookshelf and used Auralex foam wedges and that too improved things. I'm a believer even though they are expensive.
Hetfieldjames is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
My klipsch center channel sat on top of an rack mountable ups that sits on a cheap tv stand. Its a little low so i angled it up with some rubber door stops which seemed to do the trick. Noticed that one of the door stops was caving in so i went with my original idea which was the Auralex Mopad XL. Set it up a few days ago and didnt think much about it. When i went to watch last night there was a very noticeable difference in the sound. Definitely clearer and somewhat harsher. Also perceived it to be louder. So my question is, whats up with that? I was pretty surprised as i never considered, and didnt expect any change in the sound.



Also, wondering if there would benefit to do some isolation on the subwoofers. They sit on carpet on a concrete floor.
100% agree with this. I needed something to lift my bookshelf left and right speakers just a tad so they were ear level so I get Auralex foam pads. I didn't think anything about improving the sound but just to lift them up a tad. To my surprise I found they did indeed improve the sound. I have very sturdy metal speaker stands so they definitely killed any resonance.
I also needed something to angle my center speaker which is an identical bookshelf and used Auralex foam wedges and that too improved things. I'm a believer even though they are expensive.
So not just me then. It’s a pretty cool surprise. They are a little expensive compared to other brands though. I don’t know if there’s a difference in the quality or if its just paying for a name brand. But definitely got me thinking to try something on the subwoofers. The big sub dude looks cool but it’s like $75. Multiply by 4 and that adds up. Even the svs soundpath which has similar reviews of better sound is $50 per. So I think I’m gonna try the previous posters suggestion of trying something I already have and see if there’s a difference and go from there.

Marantz SR7011 | Marantz MM7025 | Outlaw 5000 | Klipsch RP 8000 | Klipsch RP 504C | Klipsch RP 502S | Klipsch RP 5000 | Klipsch CDT 5650 | Polk V60 | Klipsch SPL 120 (2)|
HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Eaton 5PX 1500|

JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16x9| Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450
dwander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off