Need help with floor speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 2 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need help with floor speakers

I’ve moved my equipment into a bigger room within my house. I’ll try to attach a picture, however, I’ll try to describe it. Below are the options I’m looking for:

- shelving at least 7 inches wide to put my Yamaha receiver
- within that shelving at least one slot 7 inches tall to put my speaker
- alternatively those tall floor or tower speakers for the front of 5.1 to eliminate the need for the shelving
- If towers are the way to go then what would is recommended Onkyo, Pioneer, Polk?

I currently have mid level Onkyo theatre in a box 5.1 speakers. The Onkyo receiver went out so I purchased a Yamaha RX-A760 receiver for HDR10 capabilities. I was searching and Onkyo has a speaker package which the fronts are towers for I think like 550? I’m not trying to spend thousands I’m not enough of a enthusiast for that but does anyone have any suggestions?

The top of my tv is about 6ft of the floor if that helps. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Bump......Someone help
post #3 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked: 3247
If you can post a picture it would help .... there are some budget friendly towers that can keep from adding shelving, as 7 inches tall for a bookshelf speaker is too low for a decent speaker ... also the statement, shelving at least 7 inches wide to put my Yamaha receiver seems to be wrong, as receivers tend to be 17 inches wide and need some air space around them. ... What is your estimate for a max budget, as a decent subwoofer would be beneficial.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 03:34 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 765
You may want to consider using the best two speakers you currently own as surrounds and find some very good front three speakers, either towers or bookshelf speakers on stands. Placing speakers in a cubbyhole space isn't the best for sound quality. There have been some excellent speaker sales of late. You might want to look over the sub-forum Great Found Deals for some awesome gear for cheap. Especially speakers. Check out the Polk sale, it is current.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7684 Post(s)
Liked: 5841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt12 View Post
I was searching and Onkyo has a speaker package which the fronts are towers for I think like 550? I’m not trying to spend thousands I’m not enough of a enthusiast for that but does anyone have any suggestions?
$550 for a package that includes towers is very likely to be awful.

$550 for a package consisting of bookshelves, that would be doable assuming you have realistic expectations.

And gods help you if that $550 includes a subwoofer too, that would really be god awful.

If you insist on spending that little for all 5.1 including towers then I might look into this:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-709

If you are patient the Sony Core bookshelves go on sale a few times a year for $80/pair...I'd just get 3 pairs, use the 5th speaker as the center, sell or store the 6th speaker.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
You may want to consider using the best two speakers you currently own as surrounds and find some very good front three speakers, either towers or bookshelf speakers on stands. Placing speakers in a cubbyhole space isn't the best for sound quality. There have been some excellent speaker sales of late. You might want to look over the sub-forum Great Found Deals for some awesome gear for cheap. Especially speakers. Check out the Polk sale, it is current.
I was actually just looking at their sale they have going on. On their Amazon page they have a package (2) T50 Tower Speakers, T30 center channel, (2) T15 surround speakers for 445 or add their PSW110 for 556. Do you think this is a good deal? I've read tons of very good reviews on this package. I'm a little iffy on getting the sub only because I do not think my receiver can take the sub. My current sub uses a preout I believe and Polk's uses either L/R IN or what looks like L/R Speaker Cable wiring
post #7 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
$550 for a package that includes towers is very likely to be awful.

$550 for a package consisting of bookshelves, that would be doable assuming you have realistic expectations.

And gods help you if that $550 includes a subwoofer too, that would really be god awful.

If you insist on spending that little for all 5.1 including towers then I might look into this:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-709

If you are patient the Sony Core bookshelves go on sale a few times a year for $80/pair...I'd just get 3 pairs, use the 5th speaker as the center, sell or store the 6th speaker.
When you say god awful why would it be that bad at that price point? Isn't a speaker's performance largely based on the receiver you have powering it and the room in which it is performing?
post #8 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 08:32 AM

I would easily take this deal over the Polk system and they would not be bad, the sonic sound signature would really be good -- do not let the price fool you as they are on clearance (move-out) pricing.

DCM TP260 -- sold by the pair
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...0AAOSwSBddcosb

DCM TP160C center
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...wAAOSw6ZVdcU0I

For surrounds -- DCM TP160S
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...oAAOSwh0ldcRTR

Now what can you spend for a decent subwoofer? -- the sub pre-out on your receiver will connect to a powered subwoofer

----------------
Who AM I
post #9 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
When you say god awful why would it be that bad at that price point? Isn't a speaker's performance largely based on the receiver you have powering it and the room in which it is performing?
No, unless the speaker is low impedance/sensitivity the receiver actually makes very little difference. The room acoustics of course play a big role with ANY speakers' perceived tonal quality.

The reason that say, a $300 pair of towers (not towers that are simply being deeply discounted or clearanced at that price) is almost certain to sound like crap compared to a $300 pair of bookshelves is, that money is being spread very thin to pay for extra drivers and a bigger cabinet....result being you're likely to get bottom of the barrel cheapest of the cheap drivers and flimsy, highly resonant cabinets with little or no internal bracing.
Ryan Statz likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 3023
Quote:
I was actually just looking at their sale they have going on. On their Amazon page they have a package (2) T50 Tower Speakers, T30 center channel, (2) T15 surround speakers for 445 or add their PSW110 for 556. Do you think this is a good deal? I've read tons of very good reviews on this package. I'm a little iffy on getting the sub only because I do not think my receiver can take the sub. My current sub uses a preout I believe and Polk's uses either L/R IN or what looks like L/R Speaker Cable wiring
Those Polk T-series speakers are at the absolute bottom of their lineup and sound dreadful. You're better off starting with 2 good bookshelf speakers and sub then build up as funds become available.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 306
check out the Jamo studio series which is available on Amazon.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
No not at all. The receiver is just sending power to the speakers, some eq depending on the room correction suite. The speakers performance is based on design and xo. A Sony Core bookshelf speaker will sound the same on a $200 AVR as it would on a $2500 AVR. The AVR or Amp should only be providing power it is not supposed to "color" the sound, unless you add EQ. You are better with a better speaker and a cheaper AVR. you have to consider unless you are dealing with a very inefficient speaker or in a large room and want loud sound, the AVR is sending very little power to the speaker, maybe as few as 8 or 10 watts. Honestly the Dayton Audio set that Zorba pointed you to are quite nice for the price. When I first built my 5.1 in the living room I used a similar set up. Their speakers sound pretty good for the price and if you MUST 5.1 from the start and don't have much money it's a hard deal to beat. You can always upgrade a piece at a time later on which is what I did. I started with this set https://www.parts-express.com/t652-5...oofer--300-699 paired with a Denon 2200 AVR. I upgraded the sub, which should be your first next upgrade, to a Rythmik LVX12 subwoofer, which was a night and day difference compared to the Dayton Sub1200. Next I upgraded my Left and Right with JBL Studio 590's which I got on one of their many half off sales, and finally I upgraded to an Emotiva C2 center channel. I am still using the surrounds from the Dayton set up. If your not super discerning that Dayton Audio will do you fine for some time. You could always add a matching sub later since they are only like $140.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
T series are Polk's worst, and their PSW subs ditto.

You'd be better off starting with a pair of their S15 or S20 bookshelves paired with a decent sub.
Ryan Statz and liffie420 like this.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 10:36 AM

This right here can rock for you -- this will meet a tight budget

The DCM bookshelf -- pretty much a no brainer -- get a second pair for surrounds
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...o/193084846113

DCM center
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...H/174020666999

On sale -- Elac 3010 sub
https://www.amazon.com/Debut-SUB3010...0466557&sr=8-1

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 10-07-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I started with this set https://www.parts-express.com/t652-5...oofer--300-699 paired with a Denon 2200 AVR. I upgraded the sub, which should be your first next upgrade, to a Rythmik LVX12 subwoofer, which was a night and day difference compared to the Dayton Sub1200. Next I upgraded my Left and Right with JBL Studio 590's which I got on one of their many half off sales, and finally I upgraded to an Emotiva C2 center channel. I am still using the surrounds from the Dayton set up. If your not super discerning that Dayton Audio will do you fine for some time. You could always add a matching sub later since they are only like $140.
I started on a similar path. Dayton B652-Air L/R, HTIB small Center/Surrounds and Dayton Sub1000. I first upgraded the small center to Emotiva C2's. That made a huge difference. I had planned to upgrade the sub next but found a great deal on T1's. T1's should be here shortly... then I'll move the B652's to surround duty.

How are you liking the LVX12? How big is your room? I am considering (2) of those or (1) FVX15 for now.

Slowly building/upgrading the HT
Projector, Marantz NR1607, Emotiva T1/C2, B652-AIR, SUB-1000
*coming soon* NX3000D, DIY: (2) 20hz VBSS
post #16 of 16 Old 10-07-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by elusiveis View Post
I started on a similar path. Dayton B652-Air L/R, HTIB small Center/Surrounds and Dayton Sub1000. I first upgraded the small center to Emotiva C2's. That made a huge difference. I had planned to upgrade the sub next but found a great deal on T1's. T1's should be here shortly... then I'll move the B652's to surround duty.

How are you liking the LVX12? How big is your room? I am considering (2) of those or (1) FVX15 for now.
It's a semi large living room. I want to say 20 some odd feet wide by about 12 feet, I haven't measured since I installed everything, but its open to an office area and kitchen, and more often than not hallway. My house is small over all only about 1100 sqft but it performs wonderfully. I am on pier and beam, i.e. suspended floor, so I get a good bit of room gain, but I haven't hit a point where I need more, I mean sure I WANT more lmao, but there is no need. its a very old house, built in the 1940's, and I would rather not get the neighbors called lol. That C2 is a beast, its a huge center, it "almost" fit under my tv haha. It blocks about a 1/4 of the bottom bezel which makes hitting the ir eye a pain depending on where your sitting lol. I still have my B652's for surround duty and they work just fine. They are not bad speakers for the price at all. I recommend them all day long if you just can't spend much. 2 LVX12's would net you a more even response room wide, and give you a little headroom, depending on how loud you like it. The FVX15 has double the spl at 20 hz that the LVX12 does, but for less money. If you were going to go with 2 LVX12's unless you just REALLY want to even out room respons for the same money give or take a few bucks you could get the F25 dual sealed 15's $1599 or the F18 which is about $1650. The F25 is nice because it's only 19" wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page