RSL C34E's as mains for surround? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By yanks1
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By Dawn Gordon
  • 1 Post By anjunadeep
  • 1 Post By Dawn Gordon
  • 1 Post By anjunadeep

post #1 of 14 Old 10-07-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RSL C34E's as mains for surround?

Hello,
I am currently in construction for a remodel and researching the set-up for a home theater setup in my living room. Because of architectural challenges, I'm limited to in-ceiling surround speakers in my 11' ceilings. I will have a 120" in-ceiling screen approx. 14-15 feet from the viewing area, a sofa against the back wall. I know, I know... in-ceilings aren't anyone's preference.

That said, it seems there are some options, and not all of them have to drain my bank account. Someone recommended the RSL C34e's. The owner of RSL has been very helpful in answering questions and assures we they'd be great, particularly because of my high ceilings. However, I'm skeptical. Does anyone have experience using these as mains? How did they sound? The angle is only 15 degrees, so the mains would be fairly close to the viewing area, about halfway between viewer/screen. But when positioned properly, did the speakers sound still feel as if it was coming from the screen/tv?

I've also been pointed to the ELAC Debute IC-DT61's. Looks like they would require a mounting box? The RSL's do not.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-07-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I have 4 of them, but only use for Atmos effect.

But wanted to reply I did test run a pair for few weeks as left & right speakers. They hold up to smaller bookshelf’s in my view. That gave me the confidence to purchase 4 for my Atmos speakers

Good luck
gajCA and jw131313 like this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #3 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm actually more concerned about placement and the limitations of the 15 degree angle, even if they dispersee sound broadly. I'm considering the ELACs now or maybe Triad, but they're a bit pricier than I was hoping to spend.
Any other ideas for great, not too costly, in-ceiling speakers that would work for a 5.1 surround system, especially speakers that are angled and would work well as mains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
I would at least look at the DCM TFE speakers -- they also have the 15 degree angle, and also a pivoting tweeter -- they also have a boundary (bass) control switch, plus a tweeter level switch .... and the woofers are 6.5 inch .... do not let the prices fool you as they are on clearance pricing ... price is for 4 speakers

The are voiced to match the TFE series speakers -- I own the bookshelf speakers, and the sound is good
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-Angled-...cAAOSwTfNco6~5

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I would at least look at the DCM TFE speakers -- they also have the 15 degree angle, and also a pivoting tweeter -- they also have a boundary (bass) control switch, plus a tweeter level switch .... and the woofers are 6.5 inch .... do not let the prices fool you as they are on clearance pricing ... price is for 4 speakers

The are voiced to match the TFE series speakers -- I own the bookshelf speakers, and the sound is good
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-Angled-...cAAOSwTfNco6~5
That’s a great deal!
I should clarify though... the 15 degrees isn’t enough for me as put the speakers almost directly over head. I feel like I need something 30 degrees+
post #6 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Maybe something like Paradigm Ci Home H65-A In-Ceiling 6.5 inch 30 degree Angled Speaker

----------------
Who AM I
post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Golden Ear 7000 series is said to be excellent at making the sound seem to come from the screen, not the ceiling. The AMT tweeter has a very narrow vertical dispersion pattern which limits reflections off the ceiling, making them less localizable. That said, the limited vertical dispersion needs to be a factor in placement, so you get proper coverage of the seating area. I believe they have a 30 degree rake, but you'll have to verify that, as well as proper placement in the 11 ft ceiling.

Also:

Quote:
I should clarify though... the 15 degrees isn’t enough for me as put the speakers almost directly over head.
Since most all speakers have good dispersion up to 30 degrees off axis, you can safely place them at 30 degrees + the angle of the speaker. That means a 15 degree speaker can be placed up to 45 degrees from the listener with good results. If you choose a 30 degree speaker, you have 60 degrees to play with. A 45 degree speaker gives you 75 degrees, so placement can be a good distance from the listener. This assumes that all the drivers in the speaker are angled, not just the tweeter.
jw131313 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-18-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

Since most all speakers have good dispersion up to 30 degrees off axis, you can safely place them at 30 degrees + the angle of the speaker. That means a 15 degree speaker can be placed up to 45 degrees from the listener with good results. If you choose a 30 degree speaker, you have 60 degrees to play with. A 45 degree speaker gives you 75 degrees, so placement can be a good distance from the listener. This assumes that all the drivers in the speaker are angled, not just the tweeter.
This is one of the most concise and coherent descriptions I’ve read about speaker placement and angles! Thank you!

So an 11.5 foot ceiling and assuming an average viewing height of 40”, means the speakers would be 98” overhead. Using your angle suggestions and trigonometry, that would mean a 15 degree speaker could be up to 101” away from the viewer. A 30 degree speaker could be up to 170” away from the viewer...
post #9 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
I'm actually more concerned about placement and the limitations of the 15 degree angle, even if they dispersee sound broadly. I'm considering the ELACs now or maybe Triad, but they're a bit pricier than I was hoping to spend.
Any other ideas for great, not too costly, in-ceiling speakers that would work for a 5.1 surround system, especially speakers that are angled and would work well as mains?
I'm almost always going to recommend Triad because of their superior build-quality. You might get lucky and find Triad sales from time to time.
jw131313 likes this.

[email protected]
post #10 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I use the C34Es as Atmos speakers as well, and tested them as LCRs for a short while just for kicks because I installed them in my ceiling with Dynamat backer boxes (so I just put them in the backer box and used them as bookshelves for a few hours to play with them). They are surprisingly powerful speakers, and would be just fine for the majority of listeners, but if you like it really loud and crunchy - they are not up for the task as LCRs. If you like moderate volumes, they'll be just fine.

My suggestion would be to get the angled Triad Silver inwalls/inceiling if they are within your budget. I recently heard the regular silver LCRs and they were fantastic. Triads edge, in my opinion, is that they offer a lot of different options for particular installations. I.e. if you have to mount ceilings on your ceiling and don't want them to just reflect off the floor, you have limited options. I don't remember what the Silver LCRs cost or know what the inwalls are though, what is retail on those and typical discount, @Dawn Gordon ?

If the Triads are out of budget, you might also consider angling some drywall at 45 degrees at the top of your ceiling for the speakers, but the extra work to do that might be the same as the triads. Does the screen come down in front of a window? You can't do acoustically transparent because of a similar limitation I imagine?
jw131313 likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Triad Silver LCRs (all models) $1000 MSRP each
Triad Bronze LCRs (al models) $650 MSRP each

Discounted pricing depends on your dealer.
jw131313 likes this.

[email protected]
post #12 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
I use the C34Es as Atmos speakers as well, and tested them as LCRs for a short while just for kicks because I installed them in my ceiling with Dynamat backer boxes (so I just put them in the backer box and used them as bookshelves for a few hours to play with them). They are surprisingly powerful speakers, and would be just fine for the majority of listeners, but if you like it really loud and crunchy - they are not up for the task as LCRs. If you like moderate volumes, they'll be just fine.

My suggestion would be to get the angled Triad Silver inwalls/inceiling if they are within your budget. I recently heard the regular silver LCRs and they were fantastic. Triads edge, in my opinion, is that they offer a lot of different options for particular installations. I.e. if you have to mount ceilings on your ceiling and don't want them to just reflect off the floor, you have limited options. I don't remember what the Silver LCRs cost or know what the inwalls are though, what is retail on those and typical discount, @Dawn Gordon ?

If the Triads are out of budget, you might also consider angling some drywall at 45 degrees at the top of your ceiling for the speakers, but the extra work to do that might be the same as the triads. Does the screen come down in front of a window? You can't do acoustically transparent because of a similar limitation I imagine?
Thanks for this. It clarifies my concern with the RSL's as mains. And yes, because of a window I'm unable to do an AT screen. The other consideration is that the screen will have a 40-45" drop, so the angle of the speakers will be vital in creating sense the sound is coming from the source/screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
I'm almost always going to recommend Triad because of their superior build-quality. You might get lucky and find Triad sales from time to time.
Hi Dawn, we actually exchanged some emails. I'd love to use the Triads, but they're slightly out of my budget. But please let me know if there's a sale - or is there a site/place I should keep an eye out for future sales?
post #13 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw131313 View Post
Thanks for this. It clarifies my concern with the RSL's as mains. And yes, because of a window I'm unable to do an AT screen. The other consideration is that the screen will have a 40-45" drop, so the angle of the speakers will be vital in creating sense the sound is coming from the source/screen.
What is your per speaker budget for the LCRs?

I hate to be *that guy* on AVS that is pressuring you into spending more money than you want to, but with inceiling speakers you are going to have them a very long time. You want to do it right the first time, because any money you save you'll pay a lot more if you have to swap them later.

Do you normally watch with a large group? Another consideration would be to use a phantom center and have some towers on either side of the window. With a wide dispersion speaker you could perhaps serve your SO and yourself pretty well if you sit centered, but three wide would be for sure a no go.
jw131313 likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-19-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
What is your per speaker budget for the LCRs?

I hate to be *that guy* on AVS that is pressuring you into spending more money than you want to, but with inceiling speakers you are going to have them a very long time. You want to do it right the first time, because any money you save you'll pay a lot more if you have to swap them later.

Do you normally watch with a large group? Another consideration would be to use a phantom center and have some towers on either side of the window. With a wide dispersion speaker you could perhaps serve your SO and yourself pretty well if you sit centered, but three wide would be for sure a no go.
Ha! Of course, I'd love for it to be as cheap as possible. But your note about commitment is well noted and something I'm taking into serious consideration. I was hoping to spend under 250, but as often happens... research can make the budget shift.

And I also had considered the phantom center, but it won't really work for our setup and needs. After much consideration, and trying to avoid it, in-ceiling has become the best option for our setup, which I know is not ideal. Fortunately, it seems lots of new speaker technology has made it a better option that it once was...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page