2.0 Setup for A Tiny Bedroom --Wall Mounting Ported Bookshelves?... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By qirex
  • 1 Post By capo4u
  • 1 Post By capo4u
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By head_unit
  • 1 Post By Soulburner

post #1 of 14 Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
2.0 Setup for A Tiny Bedroom --Wall Mounting Ported Bookshelves?...

First check pro graphic at bottom!

I have a small bedroom--something like 10x10. The idea was I would have nothing but a queen-sized bed, a medium-length armoire, and a small closet in it. Zero distractions, zero light, heavily insulated, and it's been great to sleep in.

Unfortunately, now health issues are piling up and I find myself in bed outside of sleeping hours quite a bit. It's depressing, and bringing music to the room would help that--I can only listen to headphones for so long due to tensor tympani spasms, something more severe as of late, so I need to set up proper speakers.

My PC/HT/guitar/etc setup is in another room with a pair of (EQ'd) ELAC UF5s, pair of UB5s (I have four UB5s in all, two unused), and a cheap Dayton 12". For headphones, I have DT 1990 Pros. None of this stuff is reference, but I think I have decent standards and, while the new setup doesn't have to sound like my main setup, I can't let it sound significantly worse.

I have to put speakers on/against the wall, or hang them from the ceiling at an angle. They can only go at the foot of the bed (there's about 2 inches clearance from the foot of the bed to the wall. The wall at the foot of the bed is an exterior wall, so I can't embed speakers in it without gutting insulation, and there are probably other issues with that approach anyway.)

I'd love to be able to make use of my currently unused pair of UB5s, but they're ported and should have at least a foot clearance from the wall. I could stuff the ports, but I doubt I'm going to have a powerful EQ on whatever amp I end up powering the stereo set with, so if making the UB5s sound decent stuffed is even a possibility (I have no idea), I won't be in a position to try it.

That leaves suspension. What would a ported bookshelf 3-way the UB5 sound like suspended a foot or two from the ceiling, angled down toward the head of the bed? Where the ceiling meets the wall is probably an acoustic nightmare...

What do you think? Is adapting the ELACs to this restrictive setup folly? Should I be looking at small satellites instead? I'm afraid of what small speakers comparable in quality to the ELACs might cost, but I'd be happy to explore options.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.png
Views:	21
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2626056  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-09-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2630
Instead of suspending them, get yourself a pair of articulating TV wall mounts. This approach allows you some leeway in width and depth (although height would be fixed). You can place them at near ear height away from the ceiling and side walls, while giving the rear ports some room to breathe.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Mon...688893&sr=8-84

Be sure the mount is rated for at least double the weight of the speaker, so there are no reliability issues.
galneon likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-09-2019 at 11:31 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-09-2019, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, great idea. I will look into this. I'd have to figure out some way to mount the speakers to them (or similar arms, without drilling the speakers), but I'm sure it can be done. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I did some measurements and I'm just not going to be able to make the UB5s work... The biggest bookshelf mounts don't come out far enough to accomodate the ports, and if they did, the bulk of it all (including a homebaked solution with a VESA arm) would cause other issues.

On-wall speakers are mostly marketed as surrounds for 'bringing out effects'... I don't know if that's just marketing (my surrounds have always been bookshelves), or if I should avoid them for a stereo set.

I haven't been in such a constrained position before. Should I look at mounting satellites? Is there a pair that could satisfy me (in conjunction with a sub) as a stereo set? Or are there decent on-walls? Passive/wired--I'll to put a 2.0/2.1 amp on top of the armoire.

In the age of ignorant recommendation listicles with Amazon referral links dominating search engine results and Google deprioritizing forum results, it's hard to find trustworthy information of this sort, or past discussions of similar conundrums. :/

post #5 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Polk S15s have keyhole slots on the back as part of their flared port thing, easy to hang.
galneon likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Would you be able to put in some small shelves for front-ported bookshelf speakers?
galneon likes this.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
post #7 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, or swivel mounts as rear clearance wouldn't be as much an issue. I'm thinking bookshelves would get me the best sound for my money versus more specialized solutions...

post #8 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by galneon View Post
Yep, or swivel mounts as rear clearance wouldn't be as much an issue. I'm thinking bookshelves would get me the best sound for my money versus more specialized solutions...

The thread below might help, though it is a couple years old. It's talking about the best front-ported bookshelf speakers for less than $500.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...okshelf-s.html
galneon likes this.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
post #9 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7157 Post(s)
Liked: 5467
Quote:
My PC/HT/guitar/etc setup is in another room with a pair of (EQ'd) ELAC UF5s, pair of UB5s (I have four UB5s in all, two unused), and a cheap Dayton 12". For headphones, I have DT 1990 Pros. None of this stuff is reference, but I think I have decent standards and, while the new setup doesn't have to sound like my main setup, I can't let it sound significantly worse.
I would try a down-ported speaker like the Wharfedale 220 or 225...the 225 should allow you to skip the sub.

You can probably get the best prices from Music Direct's website, but crutchfield does have a nice $10 flat rate return shipping policy for extra peace of mind:
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...ir=FFCategory|[rank11999]Home%20Speakers&price=180-500
galneon likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

After reading that thread, I'm feeling pretty tempted to grab some refurb Aria 906s... They might blow away my UF5s, though. If I was in the market at the time of that thread, I could have just bought some Q300s or similar when KEF was clearing out their old front-ported designs on the cheap. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I would try a down-ported speaker like the Wharfedale 220 or 225...the 225 should allow you to skip the sub.

You can probably get the best prices from Music Direct's website, but crutchfield does have a nice $10 flat rate return shipping policy for extra peace of mind:
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...ir=FFCategory|[rank11999]Home%20Speakers&price=180-500
Trying the 225s first seems prudent. How does a down port design play with typical wall mounts like these, though?: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Univers...-search&sr=8-7

post #11 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7157 Post(s)
Liked: 5467
Quote:
Trying the 225s first seems prudent. How does a down port design play with typical wall mounts like these, though?
I would expect them to be fine, but I have no personal experience with them...that's what that flat rate return shipping policy is for, though!
galneon likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #12 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Unfortunately, now health issues are piling up...
...The wall at the foot of the bed is an exterior wall, so I can't embed speakers in it without gutting insulation, and there are probably other issues with that approach anyway.)
...I'd love to be able to make use of my currently unused pair of UB5s, but they're ported and should have at least a foot clearance from the wall.
- First off, sorry about your health issues! Crossing my fingers for you.
- Second, you can embed speakers in an exterior wall, the insulation is actually good for them, it absorbs rear wave and makes the cavity act larger than its physical size. Yes, you would have to take out *some* insulation so it wouldn't hit the woofers.
- Third, I cannot conceive your ELAC ports need a literal foot behind them. What diameter are those ports? A fellow loudspeaker engineer changed to Harman/JBL and among other things they were researching ports. IIRC you need 2-3 times the port diameter rear clearance. OK, maybe that is 6"? But now you could angle the speakers some, that will blast the air along the wall and the flow won't get restricted significantly. People worry about this way too much, it is only a possible problem at the highest volumes. Some inches of clearance plus toe-in, and it should be fine, don't worry about it. You could also stuff the speakers which would lower the port tuning and airflow speed. Or if you want to play REALLY loud you need a subwoofer!
- I'd try those ELACs right next to the bed, at the foot of the bed, a few inches out from the wall and then I'd play with the toe-in. Since you already have them, it costs you nothing but a little time to try this.
- Congrats on getting the Uni-Fi, I like the concept and the sound. Andrew is a very talented speaker engineer.
galneon likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
- First off, sorry about your health issues! Crossing my fingers for you.
- Second, you can embed speakers in an exterior wall, the insulation is actually good for them, it absorbs rear wave and makes the cavity act larger than its physical size. Yes, you would have to take out *some* insulation so it wouldn't hit the woofers.
- Third, I cannot conceive your ELAC ports need a literal foot behind them. What diameter are those ports? A fellow loudspeaker engineer changed to Harman/JBL and among other things they were researching ports. IIRC you need 2-3 times the port diameter rear clearance. OK, maybe that is 6"? But now you could angle the speakers some, that will blast the air along the wall and the flow won't get restricted significantly. People worry about this way too much, it is only a possible problem at the highest volumes. Some inches of clearance plus toe-in, and it should be fine, don't worry about it. You could also stuff the speakers which would lower the port tuning and airflow speed. Or if you want to play REALLY loud you need a subwoofer!
- I'd try those ELACs right next to the bed, at the foot of the bed, a few inches out from the wall and then I'd play with the toe-in. Since you already have them, it costs you nothing but a little time to try this.
- Congrats on getting the Uni-Fi, I like the concept and the sound. Andrew is a very talented speaker engineer.
Thanks for the well-wishes! I turned 34 and the issues just started piling up... 35 will be better.

Good to know in-wall isn't verboten for exterior walls. I just measured the UB5 ports at about 2", depending on what part of the flare you measure. I think you're probably right, though, in that I should first try the path of least resistance--I only wish someone made mounts that come out a couple inches farther. I could cut and finish blocks from a 2x4 or sheets of MDF to mount the speaker mounts to, but this wouldn't change the distance of the centered port from the part of the speaker mount that screws into the wall... But like you said, it's probably not that big of a deal for this application, and toeing in will help.

To be honest, one of my surround UB5s in my main HT setup has about 2" from the wall. It sounds different from the opposing surround in tests, but not significantly, and if both of the UB5s I wall-mount sound 'different', they will still be more or less in sync with one another. Worst case scenario, I need to do some EQing.

I adore the Uni-Fi's, especially with a little help from Equalizer APO. I initially ordered B6s but was underwhelmed by the highs. For some reason, I took a chance on the Uni-Fis instead of exploring brands known for brightness, and I'm still very happy with them.

I'll try the UB5s. If they totally don't work, I'll try 225s and perhaps eventually Aria 906s...

post #14 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
Quote:
In the age of ignorant recommendation listicles with Amazon referral links dominating search engine results and Google deprioritizing forum results, it's hard to find trustworthy information of this sort, or past discussions of similar conundrums. :/
I lamented when Google removed the forum filter from their search engine. Recently, I found that there is a "Discussions button for Google Search" add-on for Chrome.

I think the PSB Alpha P3 should work well on the wall, of course no one here has tried.
galneon likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page