New speaker recommendations - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #31 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMlover View Post
I definitely agree with this. As well as all of the above. I guess this is where I look a the point of diminishing returns. Will a $2000 speaker be 4 times better than a $500 speaker? At what point is it just excessive? I have heard $300,000 Wilson audio speakers and thought they were awesome. Heard Focal Utopia walking away unimpressed. I know all of this is subject to opinion. I see reviews all over the internet that say this speaker is incredible "for the money". Does that mean its not incredible? Some of the best steaks I have had were under $15. Not just for the money. A little roadside diner in Texas farm country served me a fillet that would put Ruth's Chris to shame. At 1/6 the price. I am pretty sure the diner was next to the farm that cow came from. Maybe I am looking at speakers all wrong. I have no problem putting $2000 into a pair of speakers just like I don't have a problem with a $100 steak. I am however pissed off at that $100 steak when I got one that was better for less money.
100% in agreement with your entire post..value / waste is personal , and sometimes just flat ol' common sense in regard to one's means
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3204 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
[quote=Zorba922;58680616]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Funny, I find that EQ works really well on headphones/earbuds and not so much with speakers. My JBL earbuds that I use at the gym had a monstrous smiley shaped EQ curve (exaggerated bass & treble) out of the box, which I had to flatten out with a frown-shaped EQ curve using an EQ app, and they magically transformed from horrible to very good!

I guess with speakers the room acoustics make all the difference, whereas with phones/buds they are left entirely out of the equation.
It is rare that I will EQ a speaker above 200 hz -- and I use no receiver automatic set-ups

----------------
Who AM I
post #33 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree with this. As well as all of the above. I guess this is where I look a the point of diminishing returns. Will a $2000 speaker be 4 times better than a $500 speaker?
Not really -- and I have owned many, many speakers -- you end up paying a lot for the cabinet finish -- and there can be speakers with that lavish or so-called beautiful finish, but can have lesser quality drivers, or lesser quality crossover work. Plus there can be speakers with good quality drivers, but a lesser quality cabinet to save on overseas shipping cost. I am currently enjoying a set of speakers that I paid less than $220 for, that will hold their own and more against some of the popular more expensive speakers currently going around.

I have owned some expensive speakers that their sound quality was not on par with the price, due to the expense of the cabinet finish and marketing. -- and some companies out there will do a more fancy finish on the cabinet, or will do more bracing or cabinet treatment, but do not improve the quality of the driver, but add much more to the price --- it is an interesting audio world.

My overall best deals have been for close-out sales, or a rare Craiglist/Facebook marketplace find
Ryan Statz and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 10-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Not really -- and I have owned many, many speakers -- you end up paying a lot for the cabinet finish -- and there can be speakers with that lavish or so-called beautiful finish, but can have lesser quality drivers, or lesser quality crossover work. Plus there can be speakers with good quality drivers, but a lesser quality cabinet to save on overseas shipping cost. I am currently enjoying a set of speakers that I paid less than $220 for, that will hold their own and more against some of the popular more expensive speakers currently going around.

I have owned some expensive speakers that their sound quality was not on par with the price, due to the expense of the cabinet finish and marketing. -- and some companies out there will do a more fancy finish on the cabinet, or will do more bracing or cabinet treatment, but do not improve the quality of the driver, but add much more to the price --- it is an interesting audio world.

My overall best deals have been for close-out sales, or a rare Craiglist/Facebook marketplace find
So to me, cabinet finish isn't too important. Not so say that I don't want a nice looking speaker. That is mostly the whole point of this. I just want to hit that sweet spot of price/performance without over spending.
post #35 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7271 Post(s)
Liked: 5570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i am coming to the conclusion that there isn't any one set of speaker type that is best , even for the individual.. since my ears have adjusted to the cbm 170's (it sure wasn't "speaker break in " as they were well used when purchased), i noticed they are vastly superior to the b1's and 10.1s when it comes to accurate recreation of instruments, however as you say they aren't the greatest for long term listening and certain types of music tends to be a bit more enjoyable on the warmer speakers.. i tend, as this point ,to value accuracy as opposed to ease of listening , that is a change from before and may change back again.. luckily for me i get plenty of what i want from the 170's(as opposed to the need to "upgrade ") .. i am very exited at the idea of the modified b1's having a mid range that might be close to the 170's , that could be pretty great for me.. i still have thoughts of sierra 1's and reva's(maybe both) as long term solutions ...
Well, the insurmountable problem that I came up with the Ascends is that they are quite unforgiving of less than pristine sources. "Revealing" is the term often used. If all music came from a massive library of redbook CDs, I would probably still have them, because well recorded CDs did sound amazing on them. But most of my listening is lossy MP3 and streaming sources, so I appreciate a more forgiving speaker.

The Evos do intrigue the hell out of me though. Am tempted to order a pair of the 4.2 but feel a bit guilty knowing that I have no intention of buying them, making a very nice small company like Crutchfield foot the bill.
DCMlover and Lp85253 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #36 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
So to me, cabinet finish isn't too important. Not so say that I don't want a nice looking speaker. That is mostly the whole point of this. I just want to hit that sweet spot of price/performance without over spending.
Only way to do that is to invest the time, legwork and some small change in return shipping to try out 2-3 pairs of speakers. Hell, if you home audition 3 pairs and end up keeping the $500 pair, even with the $200-300 return shipping on the other 2 pairs you send back, you'd still come out richer than blowing $2K on a pair that may or may not live up to its hype and pricetag.
DCMlover likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #37 of 93 Old 10-13-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, the insurmountable problem that I came up with the Ascends is that they are quite unforgiving of less than pristine sources. "Revealing" is the term often used. If all music came from a massive library of redbook CDs, I would probably still have them, because well recorded CDs did sound amazing on them. But most of my listening is lossy MP3 and streaming sources, so I appreciate a more forgiving speaker.

The Evos do intrigue the hell out of me though. Am tempted to order a pair of the 4.2 but feel a bit guilty knowing that I have no intention of buying them, making a very nice small company like Crutchfield foot the bill.
maybe give the evo's a chance to oust the 10.1s... or maybe think about creating a use if you like them..just a thought .....as to the 170's, i agree, they can be crappy on bad recordings(not their fault , imo), luckily for me a bunch of the music i like is recorded fairly well (steely dan, dire straights for example) and a small bit of eq helps some too..i find that they eq better / easier than other speakers (i think it's because they are so flat in response) , but it's just a theory
DCMlover and Zorba922 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 10-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.
post #38 of 93 Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9241 Post(s)
Liked: 6348
Quote:

Well, there is another way to look at it and that is if you get them and compare them to your BMRs and they come very very close your review might help them sell a bunch of them!

If I was looking to replace my LX16s today that is the first set of speakers I'd order, no question.

They seem, on the face of it, to be a bargain at full msrp unlike Martin Logan.

Geoff A. J., California
post #39 of 93 Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Well, there is another way to look at it and that is if you get them and compare them to your BMRs and they come very very close your review might help them sell a bunch of them!

If I was looking to replace my LX16s today that is the first set of speakers I'd order, no question.

I have been eying the EVO's myself. After listening to some FLAC files on my Emotiva desktop speakers today I realize these AMT drivers sound really nice.
gajCA and Lp85253 like this.
post #40 of 93 Old 10-28-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have been eying the EVO's myself. After listening to some FLAC files on my Emotiva desktop speakers today I realize these AMT drivers sound really nice.
So, with all these things considered...

At what dollar amount do you guys feel like you typically hit the point of diminishing returns? Do you grab new models for value or an older clearance model?
post #41 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

At what dollar amount do you guys feel like you typically hit the point of diminishing returns? Do you grab new models for value or an older clearance model?
It's different for everyone. I'm more of a value guy - give me the older clearance model with substantially the same capabilities over the shiny, new model for additional dollars. I probably can't hear the difference, anyway.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
post #42 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:

For good speakers, i like the clearance value
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #43 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
In that case I wouldn't hesitate to get the Concept 40s as they are said, (and this review points out), to be better than the excellent Concept 20s which were every bit as good as my Martin Logan LX16s and MILES ahead of the crapola KLH Albany's I tested against my LX16s.

See page 25 for comments and measurements.

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview/6
How would you rate Concept 20 against the Wharfedale Reva 2 for music?
post #44 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
No, but I'd expect the Evo to be more refined, which you'll mainly notice during critical music listening. For HT/TV I doubt you'd hear a big difference.
Do you have a pair of Wharfies now that you like and if so, which? I'm really interested in the Evo 4.2 from your comments on other threads. I wonder if the Evo 4.4 or 4.3 will give me any advantage over Evo 4.2 if I have a sub? I think not, because Evo 4.2 seems to have the same drivers except less one woofer and smaller cabinet. But the 4.2 will be easier to position and lug around.
post #45 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
Do you have a pair of Wharfies now that you like and if so, which? I'm really interested in the Evo 4.2 from your comments on other threads. I wonder if the Evo 4.4 or 4.3 will give me any advantage over Evo 4.2 if I have a sub? I think not, because Evo 4.2 seems to have the same drivers except less one woofer and smaller cabinet. But the 4.2 will be easier to position and lug around.
Yes if you already have a good sub then I'd stick with the 4.2 unless you plan to do a lot of critical music listening in stereo with the sub off.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 that I use as nearfield desktop speakers, love them. I'd expect the Evo to have more treble detail, dynamics and extension because of the AMT tweeter, and play lower due to the larger cabinet.

post #46 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yes if you already have a good sub then I'd stick with the 4.2 unless you plan to do a lot of critical music listening in stereo with the sub off.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 that I use as nearfield desktop speakers, love them. I'd expect the Evo to have more treble detail, dynamics and extension because of the AMT tweeter, and play lower due to the larger cabinet.
Ah that sounds good. One thing I'm concerned about is will the Evo have less clarity because I've read Wharfdales are warm and not revealing. So will the Evo be less clear?

On the other hand hand, your comments all over AVS say Wharfies are more forgiving of bad sources that I listen to, so maybe they are the right choice.
post #47 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:

What makes you say "If I was looking to replace my LX16s today that is the first set of speakers I'd order, no question. They seem, on the face of it, to be a bargain at full msrp unlike Martin Logan."? I find there are many many bookshelf pairs for $1000 that I'm having trouble selecting between. (Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, ML, ELAC, B&W, etc)
post #48 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:

My dollar amount for diminishing returns is $1000 for a bookshelf pair and $1500 for a tower pair.
post #49 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
One thing I'm concerned about is will the Evo have less clarity because I've read Wharfdales are warm and not revealing.
That's usually referring to the Diamond series, the 10.x and previous in particular. The upper tier lines like the Evo and Reva are usually regarded as more neutral, with just a touch of warmth.

post #50 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
That's usually referring to the Diamond series, the 10.x and previous in particular. The upper tier lines like the Evo and Reva are usually regarded as more neutral, with just a touch of warmth.
That sounds good. I think of warm as meaning "a bump in the midrange" like the RSL CG5 measurements. Hoping the Evo 4.2 still has that even if it is more neutral since I listen to jazz and blues. While not the same music you listen to, it's still slow and midrange/vocals heavy.
post #51 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
That sounds good. I think of warm as meaning "a bump in the midrange" like the RSL CG5 measurements. Hoping the Evo 4.2 still has that even if it is more neutral since I listen to jazz and blues. While not the same music you listen to, it's still slow and midrange/vocals heavy.
It's a good bet you'll like them...and if not, Crutchfield's $10 return shipping policy will take care of it.

post #52 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Some folks want eq baked into their speakers...elevated treble, elevated bass, recessed mid, whatever. And that's fine, to each their own. My personal preference is for the speaker to be as neutral and accurate as possible, which sounds like what you are looking for. Also important is for the off axis sound to very closely match the neutral on axis response so that reflected sound matches the direct sound. This type of speaker is preferred for sound quality by the vast majority of all listeners with accurate testing(not demos at Best Buy).

The right measurements will steer you towards the right speaker.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...nce-shows.html
+1. I will add that the aforementioned curve will be preferred at lower volumes, whereas a flat or neutral sounding speaker will be preferred at medium to high volumes due to the nature of human hearing.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #53 of 93 Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Quote:
I definitely agree with this. As well as all of the above. I guess this is where I look a the point of diminishing returns. Will a $2000 speaker be 4 times better than a $500 speaker? At what point is it just excessive? I have heard $300,000 Wilson audio speakers and thought they were awesome. Heard Focal Utopia walking away unimpressed. I know all of this is subject to opinion. I see reviews all over the internet that say this speaker is incredible "for the money". Does that mean its not incredible? Some of the best steaks I have had were under $15. Not just for the money. A little roadside diner in Texas farm country served me a fillet that would put Ruth's Chris to shame. At 1/6 the price. I am pretty sure the diner was next to the farm that cow came from. Maybe I am looking at speakers all wrong. I have no problem putting $2000 into a pair of speakers just like I don't have a problem with a $100 steak. I am however pissed off at that $100 steak when I got one that was better for less money.
I have been compiling a list of speakers under $2k that give more expensive speakers a run for their money. In no particular order:

Wharfedale LINTON Heritage
Buchardt S400
Ascend Sierra-2EX
Philharmonic BMR
KEF R3
Paradigm Premier 200B
Paradigm Premier 800F
Revel F36
Revel M106
Dynaudio Evoke 20
Ohm Walsh 1000
Spatial Audio M3
Tekton Impact Monitor
RBH Signature SV-61R
Klipsch RP-8000F
JBL Studio 590
JBL HDI-1600
Ascend Sierra Tower
Monitor Audio Gold 100
Monitor Audio Silver 300
HiVi Swans M803a
HiVi Swans M3
ELAC Adante AS-61
Focal Aria 906
Polk Audio Legend L200

All of these are worth owning depending on your usage and preferences. I own the Buchardt S400, a standout in this price range, and will soon be able to compare them to Vapor Audio Sundogs, which occupy another price tier.

I think they are worth it over $500 speakers. You will get, in general, better capability - combinations of better imaging, more full range sound, better linearity in the response, better quality (not just quantity) bass, better quality cabinets, and more.

Quote:

For me, that's around $1500. It seems when you push to $2k and beyond, you do find some better speakers, but diminishing returns means a steep hill to climb.
mtrot and Vikram Iyengar like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 10-29-2019 at 10:23 PM.
post #54 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
How would you rate Concept 20 against the Wharfedale Reva 2 for music?
I have absolutely no idea but my "guess" is that the flat measuring Concept 20s that to my ears are as good as my LX16s would give them a run for their money.

The let down for Q Acoustics is that while their center channels are very good, measure very well, for someone looking for maximum volume potential in a largish room the dual 4" centers might not do it for them.

I have a dual 4" center in my large secondary room and a dual 7" center in my smaller theater room and, for me, the dual 4" center provides more than enough volume potential for me.

I could happily own the Concept 20s .

Geoff A. J., California
post #55 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
What makes you say "If I was looking to replace my LX16s today that is the first set of speakers I'd order, no question. They seem, on the face of it, to be a bargain at full msrp unlike Martin Logan."? I find there are many many bookshelf pairs for $1000 that I'm having trouble selecting between. (Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, ML, ELAC, B&W, etc)
Easy.

The LX16's AMT is less than half the size of the Evo 4.2, the Evo 4.2 has a 6.5" main driver vs 4.25" and is a three way so that means the woofer should have more headroom as should the AMT than in the 2 way Evo 4.2.

There simply aren't that many 3 ways that would seem to compete at the price point AND, best of all, just $10/box returns at Crutchfield so you can decide whether you like them near zero risk.

Geoff A. J., California
post #56 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Easy.

The LX16's AMT is less than half the size of the Evo 4.2, the Evo 4.2 has a 6.5" main driver vs 4.25" and is a three way so that means the woofer should have more headroom as should the AMT than in the 2 way Evo 4.2.

There simply aren't that many 3 ways that would seem to compete at the price point AND, best of all, just $10/box returns at Crutchfield so you can decide whether you like them near zero risk.
Thanks, yeah I love the s30 sound but wonder if the s35 may have been enough too. A
And what restaurants did you own if this is not too personal? My wife and I hung around Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Sonoma Square a lot. My friends in SF are keeping me updated on the bad fire situation there.
post #57 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea but my "guess" is that the flat measuring Concept 20s that to my ears are as good as my LX16s would give them a run for their money.

The let down for Q Acoustics is that while their center channels are very good, measure very well, for someone looking for maximum volume potential in a largish room the dual 4" centers might not do it for them.

I have a dual 4" center in my large secondary room and a dual 7" center in my smaller theater room and, for me, the dual 4" center provides more than enough volume potential for me.

I could happily own the Concept 20s .
OK, I'll research the Concept 20 set with center against the Wharf Evo 4.2. The Concept 20 has no smaller speakers for surrounds so I can keep the Polk s15 as surround or get another pair of Concept 20. Oh wait, the LX16s are said to be flat and revealing, which I'm concerned about with my streaming less-good recordings/sources, which is why I decided against the LX16s. Maybe the Concept 20s will work less well for me for the same reason, which is why I'm looking into Wharfdales.
post #58 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
+1. I will add that the aforementioned curve will be preferred at lower volumes, whereas a flat or neutral sounding speaker will be preferred at medium to high volumes due to the nature of human hearing.
Very true. At low volume music, I turn on the EQ, room correction, dynamic vol settings. At higher vol, I find pure direct is better. I still can't figure out what the differences between the (1) Pure direct, (2) DIRECT, and (3) AFD settings on my Sony STR-DN1080 AVR.
post #59 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I love the s30 sound but wonder if the s35 may have been enough too. A
And what restaurants did you own if this is not too personal? My wife and I hung around Santa Rosa, Healdsburg, Sonoma Square a lot. My friends in SF are keeping me updated on the bad fire situation there.
We owned 11 fast food franchise outlets so nothing special.

Man, with the outages here the past 5 days we would have lost our shirts had we not sold 11 years ago.

Geoff A. J., California
post #60 of 93 Old 10-30-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
OK, I'll research the Concept 20 set with center against the Wharf Evo 4.2. The Concept 20 has no smaller speakers for surrounds so I can keep the Polk s15 as surround or get another pair of Concept 20. Oh wait, the LX16s are said to be flat and revealing, which I'm concerned about with my streaming less-good recordings/sources, which is why I decided against the LX16s. Maybe the Concept 20s will work less well for me for the same reason, which is why I'm looking into Wharfdales.
I'd stick to Crutchfield brands to be honest.

You just can't beat that $10/box returns within 60 days IMHO.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page