1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gamecock24

post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Choosing in-walls

I've been racking my brain about this and hoping for some suggestions. I am changing my system around and going in-wall. I was running DefTech Mythos with a Klipsch 10" ported sub and a Marantz SR7010. It's not a bad setup but im upgrading everything but the receiver for now. Going Sony 950G 75" and 2x RSL Speedwoofers. The system will only be 5.2 and just really a mixed-use TV room with music sometimes too - say 25%?

I had my heart set on DefTech UIW RLS II as L/R and RLS III as my center due to space. Then UIW RSS III as 2 surrounds. Well, its a lot of money to just go on a whim and its hard to listen to speakers given im not in a large city.
I'm going to get flack for this I know but I did use the Crutchfield Virtual Listening deal and kept coming back to the Focal 100. They seemed to have the most full sound for me. Their 300 IW6 LCR is a bit out of my range for speakers and no Virtual Listening option.

I like the idea of a longer skinnier speaker. What else should I consider? I would prefer to match brands and keep the front 3 as similar as possible. I really dont want to branch out to some of the more random brands (like Axiom). Too much risk for me. KEF is something I think I will like but their 4100 is too small (the room is about 7000 sq ft - large vaulted) and the larger speakers are too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Monitor Audio makes some in wall speakers that are of the long skinny variety. I’m about to install their 8” IDC in wall speakers which are a 3 way speaker. MA says they are timber matched to the MA towers and center channel I currently have. That will complete a 7.1.4 system for me.
Check them out maybe you’ll see something you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DANMAN421 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7474 Post(s)
Liked: 5702
The thing about in-walls is that you can't really know how they'll sound until you have them installed, and once you have them installed it's a huge PITA to switch them out if you aren't 100% happy with their sound. That's one of several reasons I usually tell people to do in-walls only for surrounds, and for fronts only as an absolute last resort.

In your case I'd suggest trying an inexpensive on-wall option that has free return shipping in case you don't like them:
https://www.htd.com/VERSA-HTS1

You are overspending on the speakers and seriously under-spending on the more critical subwoofer(s) in my opinion...especially in your previous setup. RSL Speedwoofers are nice but they really don't go low enough for 75% HT use...instead of 2 of them I'd get a single Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15H.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 299
check out the axiom audio M22 or M5HP in walls. they come with an integrated back box. You could hang them on the wall to see how you like them within the return period.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The thing about in-walls is that you can't really know how they'll sound until you have them installed, and once you have them installed it's a huge PITA to switch them out if you aren't 100% happy with their sound. That's one of several reasons I usually tell people to do in-walls only for surrounds, and for fronts only as an absolute last resort.

In your case I'd suggest trying an inexpensive on-wall option that has free return shipping in case you don't like them:

https://www.htd.com/VERSA-HTS1

You are overspending on the speakers and seriously under-spending on the more critical subwoofer(s) in my opinion...especially in your previous setup. RSL Speedwoofers are nice but they really don't go low enough for 75% HT use...instead of 2 of them I'd get a single Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15H.
Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify, my 75% usage is news, sports, TV shows. Not HT. We have 2 small kids and don't really have time for movies right now. I may upgrade the subs later but I do like the RSLs for now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
check out the axiom audio M22 or M5HP in walls. they come with an integrated back box. You could hang them on the wall to see how you like them within the return period.
I've heard of them just a little apprehensive to branch out of the norm. I'll try and keep an open mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 10-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANMAN421 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I should clarify, my 75% usage is news, sports, TV shows. Not HT. We have 2 small kids and don't really have time for movies right now. I may upgrade the subs later but I do like the RSLs for now.
Ok, I guess I understand why you'd want in-walls then. This is one in-wall I'd consider:
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/107...-nht-architect

If you want the ultimate in childproofing, a downfiring sub like this might also be worth looking at:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:
Ok, I guess I understand why you'd want in-walls then. This is one in-wall I'd consider:
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/107...-nht-architect

If you want the ultimate in childproofing, a downfiring sub like this might also be worth looking at:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html
Thanks for the suggestions.

Let's keep them coming! Any Klipsch I should be looking at?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts on KEF Ci4100QL as LCR?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Let's keep them coming! Any Klipsch I should be looking at?
If you're interested in a horn tweeter, I'd look at Hsu instead:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html

Same drivers as this well-regarded speaker:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

post #11 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3294 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page