Sonos vs ‘traditional’ 3.1??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sonos vs ‘traditional’ 3.1???

Sonos vs Traditional 3.1???

So, I just bought a new house and I’m trying to figure out what direction to go with my home audio.

In my old house I had a 5.1 set-up consisting of an Onkyo TX-NR509 and Polk RM6750’s hooked up to my Samsung UN55D6300. All of which is a bit dated...

Over the years I acquired a few Sonos speakers. Right now I have (2) Sonos Play 1 and (1) Sonos Play 5.

I’m not a real audiophile, I’m a total newbie who just appreciates good stuff. I was happy with my Onkyo/Polk set-up as well as my Sonos speakers.

In my new house I’ll probably have to run a 3.1 system or a Sonos Playbar and Sub. My new house is an open layout and I just don’t have a rear wall/space for two rear channel speakers. Eventually I may be able to add two ceiling speakers...eventually.

The Samsung UN55D6300 will have to stay for a bit.

I do like Sonos’ seemless integration, or so it seems to be.

I’m thinking of a Sonos Playbar and Sub for the den/living area. A Sonos One in the kitchen, upstairs, garage, etc. Maybe add a Sonos amp to run a couple of outdoor speakers.

Should I try to sell off what I have and go full Sonos? Or, go with an updated 3.1 set-up (w/ 5.1 ability later on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You will almost universally get better sound at a better price if you go with a traditional 3.1. For the same cost of of a Sonos Playbar + Sub, you will get a kick ass system with a 3.1 (Front/Center/Left, Sub, Receiver) setup offering much better audio than the Sonos playbar + sub. The good news is that you can easily integrate your 3.1 system into your Sonos ecosystem by purchasing a Sonos Port (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port.html). Therefore it gives you the best of both worlds. Have amazing sound with the 3.1 and also be able to integrate it with your other Sonos speakers around your house. And if you ever plan to upgrade to a 5.1 full surround / Dolby Atmos set-up in the future, you can easily do so with the 3.1 starting setup.

That's basically the setup that I have in my house and it works very well.

Main Room: 65'' Samsung KS8000; AVR: Denon AVR X-4500H; AMP: Monolith 3-Channel Amp; Center Channel: KEF R2C; L/R Channels: KEF R3; Atmos: KEF R8A; LFE: SVS-PB3000; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800; Gaming: PS4 Pro; Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K Secondary Room: 49'' Samsung MU7000; AVR: Denon AVR S-720W; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; IEMs: Shure 846, Shure 535; DAC/Amp: Dragonfly Cobalt

Last edited by jmbgator; 10-18-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-19-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the Sonos Port truely make a traditional 3.1 as seemless as a Sonos speaker? If so, I may lean that way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-19-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
Does the Sonos Port truely make a traditional 3.1 as seemless as a Sonos speaker? If so, I may lean that way
Yes. You would just have to set your receiver to the correct input. Otherwise it will work just like any other Sonos speaker

Main Room: 65'' Samsung KS8000; AVR: Denon AVR X-4500H; AMP: Monolith 3-Channel Amp; Center Channel: KEF R2C; L/R Channels: KEF R3; Atmos: KEF R8A; LFE: SVS-PB3000; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800; Gaming: PS4 Pro; Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K Secondary Room: 49'' Samsung MU7000; AVR: Denon AVR S-720W; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; IEMs: Shure 846, Shure 535; DAC/Amp: Dragonfly Cobalt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page