AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   KEF vs Klipsche vs Paradigm in ceiling speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3097124-kef-vs-klipsche-vs-paradigm-ceiling-speakers.html)

mcha291 10-19-2019 08:45 AM

KEF vs Klipsche vs Paradigm in ceiling speakers
 
Hi guys, I've been looking for 4 in-ceiling speakers. I'm going to rely on them for general purpose uses for now, and convert them into a 5.1.4 atmos system when I save up a bit more. So I don't want to completely cheap out on them. But I'm having trouble because none the stores here carry more than 1 or 2 models for in-ceiling speakers, and most won't even let me try them.



I've narrowed my options down to:


KEF CI160QR
KEF CI160.2QR
Paradigm H65-IW
Klipsch CS-16C II


All are available at basically the same price for me, except CI160.2QR which is about half of the price of the rest.



Has anyone had experience with any of these, and what do you think?

pase22 10-19-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcha291 (Post 58704634)
Hi guys, I've been looking for 4 in-ceiling speakers. I'm going to rely on them for general purpose uses for now, and convert them into a 5.1.4 atmos system when I save up a bit more. So I don't want to completely cheap out on them. But I'm having trouble because none the stores here carry more than 1 or 2 models for in-ceiling speakers, and most won't even let me try them.



I've narrowed my options down to:


KEF CI160QR
KEF CI160.2QR
Paradigm H65-IW
Klipsch CS-16C II


All are available at basically the same price for me, except CI160.2QR which is about half of the price of the rest.



Has anyone had experience with any of these, and what do you think?

I would go with the brand you plan on using for your 5.1 setup. Matching ceiling speakers to the rest of your speakers is far less critical that matching the front 3 speakers. Since you are starting backwards (I'd start with fronts & center 1st or at least the fronts ) you may as well get matching speakers.

mcha291 10-19-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pase22 (Post 58705012)
I would go with the brand you plan on using for your 5.1 setup. Matching ceiling speakers to the rest of your speakers is far less critical that matching the front 3 speakers. Since you are starting backwards (I'd start with fronts & center 1st or at least the fronts ) you may as well get matching speakers.


Hmm. I was actually thinking of getting one the Dali Oberons or Opticons but I guess I should test them against the KEF Q350s.


I just wanted to get the ceilings first since I don't have the money to get decent fronts at the moment, pluls also I'm redoing the ceiling so it seemd to make sense to add them in while I'm at it.

pase22 10-19-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcha291 (Post 58705094)
Hmm. I was actually thinking of getting one the Dali Oberons or Opticons but I guess I should test them against the KEF Q350s.


I just wanted to get the ceilings first since I don't have the money to get decent fronts at the moment, pluls also I'm redoing the ceiling so it seemd to make sense to add them in while I'm at it.

The Opticons are a few levels above the Kef Q350's. The Oberon are also a step above So depending on your usage of music to movies, you may not need high end speakers.

I understand the logic to putting in the ceiling speakers first a little better now. Though this may sound a little biased, I'd go with Kef for their excellent imaging and off axis response.

aarons915 10-19-2019 11:36 AM

Coaxials are ideal for ceiling speakers since their dispersion is even in all directions, I'd go with KEF even if your mains are a different brand.

mcha291 10-19-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pase22 (Post 58705148)
Though this may sound a little biased, I'd go with Kef for their excellent imaging and off axis response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarons915 (Post 58705386)
Coaxials are ideal for ceiling speakers since their dispersion is even in all directions, I'd go with KEF even if your mains are a different brand.


Thanks. Would you say the KEF CI160QR, or the CI160.2CR? The former is around $200 while the latter are about $130 each.



(I just realised I misspelled the .2CR in my first post...)

pase22 10-19-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcha291 (Post 58705824)
Thanks. Would you say the KEF CI160QR, or the CI160.2CR? The former is around $200 while the latter are about $130 each.



(I just realised I misspelled the .2CR in my first post...)

They're pretty much the same. Go with the cheaper option.

Spectah 10-20-2019 08:36 PM

I think you’re talking about speakers in different ranges. I find the Kef CR160s and Paradigm Homes to be muddled compared with the Dali Oberons or Opticons.

It should not matter for Atmos heights, but if you’re doing general music listening you’ll notice the difference in clarity and treble. I would try to make sure you trial the speakers or the a similar sound profile.

My Paradigm Elites are clearer than my Zensors, but would be a good match for the Oberons and Opticons.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.