KEF vs Klipsche vs Paradigm in ceiling speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
KEF vs Klipsche vs Paradigm in ceiling speakers

Hi guys, I've been looking for 4 in-ceiling speakers. I'm going to rely on them for general purpose uses for now, and convert them into a 5.1.4 atmos system when I save up a bit more. So I don't want to completely cheap out on them. But I'm having trouble because none the stores here carry more than 1 or 2 models for in-ceiling speakers, and most won't even let me try them.



I've narrowed my options down to:


KEF CI160QR
KEF CI160.2QR
Paradigm H65-IW
Klipsch CS-16C II


All are available at basically the same price for me, except CI160.2QR which is about half of the price of the rest.



Has anyone had experience with any of these, and what do you think?
mcha291 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,521
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcha291 View Post
Hi guys, I've been looking for 4 in-ceiling speakers. I'm going to rely on them for general purpose uses for now, and convert them into a 5.1.4 atmos system when I save up a bit more. So I don't want to completely cheap out on them. But I'm having trouble because none the stores here carry more than 1 or 2 models for in-ceiling speakers, and most won't even let me try them.



I've narrowed my options down to:


KEF CI160QR
KEF CI160.2QR
Paradigm H65-IW
Klipsch CS-16C II


All are available at basically the same price for me, except CI160.2QR which is about half of the price of the rest.



Has anyone had experience with any of these, and what do you think?
I would go with the brand you plan on using for your 5.1 setup. Matching ceiling speakers to the rest of your speakers is far less critical that matching the front 3 speakers. Since you are starting backwards (I'd start with fronts & center 1st or at least the fronts ) you may as well get matching speakers.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I would go with the brand you plan on using for your 5.1 setup. Matching ceiling speakers to the rest of your speakers is far less critical that matching the front 3 speakers. Since you are starting backwards (I'd start with fronts & center 1st or at least the fronts ) you may as well get matching speakers.

Hmm. I was actually thinking of getting one the Dali Oberons or Opticons but I guess I should test them against the KEF Q350s.


I just wanted to get the ceilings first since I don't have the money to get decent fronts at the moment, pluls also I'm redoing the ceiling so it seemd to make sense to add them in while I'm at it.
mcha291 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,521
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcha291 View Post
Hmm. I was actually thinking of getting one the Dali Oberons or Opticons but I guess I should test them against the KEF Q350s.


I just wanted to get the ceilings first since I don't have the money to get decent fronts at the moment, pluls also I'm redoing the ceiling so it seemd to make sense to add them in while I'm at it.
The Opticons are a few levels above the Kef Q350's. The Oberon are also a step above So depending on your usage of music to movies, you may not need high end speakers.

I understand the logic to putting in the ceiling speakers first a little better now. Though this may sound a little biased, I'd go with Kef for their excellent imaging and off axis response.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aarons915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Coaxials are ideal for ceiling speakers since their dispersion is even in all directions, I'd go with KEF even if your mains are a different brand.
aarons915 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Though this may sound a little biased, I'd go with Kef for their excellent imaging and off axis response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Coaxials are ideal for ceiling speakers since their dispersion is even in all directions, I'd go with KEF even if your mains are a different brand.

Thanks. Would you say the KEF CI160QR, or the CI160.2CR? The former is around $200 while the latter are about $130 each.



(I just realised I misspelled the .2CR in my first post...)
mcha291 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-19-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,521
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked: 2940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcha291 View Post
Thanks. Would you say the KEF CI160QR, or the CI160.2CR? The former is around $200 while the latter are about $130 each.



(I just realised I misspelled the .2CR in my first post...)
They're pretty much the same. Go with the cheaper option.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2019, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I think you’re talking about speakers in different ranges. I find the Kef CR160s and Paradigm Homes to be muddled compared with the Dali Oberons or Opticons.

It should not matter for Atmos heights, but if you’re doing general music listening you’ll notice the difference in clarity and treble. I would try to make sure you trial the speakers or the a similar sound profile.

My Paradigm Elites are clearer than my Zensors, but would be a good match for the Oberons and Opticons.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
Spectah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off