Bipolar Surround Placement Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By manhattan24

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Bipolar Surround Placement Advice

Hi,

I have just bought some new bipolar surrounds (Klipsch RP-402S) for my set-up, however as the room shape is not ideal and a bit cramped, I would appreciate some advice on the best placement. I've attached an image and diagram to give an idea of the current layout.

If stands are the best option, could someone please recommend something suitable? I had a quick look on Amazon and found Nordell' Premium Floor Speaker Stands, perhaps they would do the job?

Also, would it be beter to put the right speaker at the end of the row of seats or next to the sofa as most viewing is done mainly from the left chair and sofa.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing.png
Views:	27
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	2630106   Click image for larger version

Name:	room.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	2630108  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 6522 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
I would mount them high on the rear wall (~6" from ceiling), basically in line with the front L/R speakers...maybe a bit wider. This will provide the most diffuse soundfield for all seating IMO.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I would mount them high on the rear wall (~6" from ceiling), basically in line with the front L/R speakers...maybe a bit wider. This will provide the most diffuse soundfield for all seating IMO.
Thanks for the reply.

So would that be a better option than bringing the seating away from the wall and putting the speakers at either end of the seats aligned with the ears and 2 ft above on stands? The main listening location is the sofa and left chair facing the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 6522 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan24 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

So would that be a better option than bringing the seating away from the wall and putting the speakers at either end of the seats aligned with the ears and 2 ft above on stands? The main listening location is the sofa and left chair facing the screen.
In my opinion, it would be the better option.

If you were to place the speakers to the sides, the seating closest to the speakers (left chair and right seat of couch) would be blasted, the only good seat would be the left side/center of the couch. With them mounted up high and pointing forward (actually, angled since they are bipole), all seats would get a better, more diffuse surround experience. The far left and right chairs are going to be compromised no matter what since they are so far off-axis...the far left chair in particular since it is in a corner, the bass is going to be quite boomy in that location.

With the surrounds mounted higher on the wall and relatively close together, the surround "bubble" will be able to cover a wider area, such as your seating.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Great, will do what you suggested.

Thanks alot.
Alan P likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version