AVS Forum banner

Speaker dilemma - Existing B&W LCR and need advice for the remaining configuration

666 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Zorba922 
#1 ·
Speaker dilemma - Existing B&W LCR and need advice for the remaining configuration

I need help with my next move on building and designing my home theater. I currently have an older set of B&W 604 S3 L and R floor standing speakers and matching center channel. I have not purchased anything for the side or rear yet and I am looking for advice and I have many questions.

Question 1: I was looking at getting all Klipsch for the side and rears but I have been told it will sound weird and awkward to mix with B&W in the front. Is that true?

My plan was to design a 7.2.2 in the end with my 100" ALR screen and Epson 5040ub projector.

My proposed plan: 2x RP-402S as sides, 2x 500SA as rears, and 2x CDT-5800-C II as in ceiling atmos.

Objective: I want this to sound the best possible within my budget. I am not attached to the LCR B&W speakers I have already.

Question 2: Should I sell my B&W and get a full Klipsch system?

Question 3: Will 2x 500SA work as true rear surrounds or are they really meant to be atmos only. Would I be better off doing 4 RP-402S for ML,MR,RL,RR?

As you can see I need help and I am open to other ideas/brands. My budget is ~$2000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I need help with my next move on building and designing my home theater. I currently have an older set of B&W 604 S3 L and R floor standing speakers and matching center channel. I have not purchased anything for the side or rear yet and I am looking for advice and I have many questions.

Question 1: I was looking at getting all Klipsch for the side and rears but I have been told it will sound weird and awkward to mix with B&W in the front. Is that true?

My plan was to design a 7.2.2 in the end with my 100" ALR screen and Epson 5040ub projector.

My proposed plan: 2x RP-402S as sides, 2x 500SA as rears, and 2x CDT-5800-C II as in ceiling atmos.

Objective: I want this to sound the best possible within my budget. I am not attached to the LCR B&W speakers I have already.

Question 2: Should I sell my B&W and get a full Klipsch system?

Question 3: Will 2x 500SA work as true rear surrounds or are they really meant to be atmos only. Would I be better off doing 4 RP-402S for ML,MR,RL,RR?

As you can see I need help and I am open to other ideas/brands. My budget is ~$2000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
1. "Timbre matching" is a joke, a useless old wives' tale usually pushed by greedy salesmen or self-aggrandizing "audiophile" posers. Especially when it comes to the surrounds (which do a miniscule 5-10% of total output) "matching" the front 3. The only time when that would matter is if you regularly listen to music in all-channel stereo ("party mode") or have a lot of native-multichannel music content. Otherwise for HT it is utterly irrelevant, unless for some odd reason you pick 2 sets of speakers with wildly different impedance and sensitivity which might make it harder for your receiver to integrate.

2. Are you 100% happy with your B&W front 3 right now? If yes then I'd keep them and just get whatever the hell you want to get for your surrounds. If not, then with a $2K budget you could easily start over with a whole new system IF you are not self-limited to big brand names like Klipsch and B&W.

btw, what are you using for sub(s)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.