Do you need a subwoofer if your LCR are full-range? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
  • 3 Post By Squirrel!
  • 2 Post By Molon_Labe
  • 4 Post By m0j0
  • 4 Post By sdurani
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson
  • 1 Post By DreamWarrior
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson

post #1 of 25 Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do you need a subwoofer if your LCR are full-range?

I'm looking at the Goldenear Triton Reference stats and they seem fairly flat all the way down to 20 or 30hz, and they can reach as far down as 12hz. They also seem relatively powerful. Incredible speakers.

Imagine a home theatre, maybe 27'x20'x9' or the like, with three of these bad boys. Would this home theatre need/benefit noticeably from having a subwoofer(s) beyond the three Triton Reference speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The answer is maybe. Chances are the position of your LCR are not ideal for low frequencies. Especially if you have more than one listening position. And how much output can they give at 20 Hz in your room? Lots of factors and you may not know for sure until you try. Maybe it will be enough for you or maybe not.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
The age old question.

The answer is maybe.

I mean, define need. Everyone has different needs and expectations. There are no blanket statements in audio.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-21-2019, 09:16 PM
FOH
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Benefit?
Absolutely no question.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Is this such a matter of opinion? I know some people are crazy bass heads, but isn’t there roughly speaking a metric of how loud bass should be relative to the rest of the sound (such as reference level?). I gave some dimensions for a room, we know how loud these speakers get and their frequency response. Shouldn’t this tell us if these speakers will rock the house sufficiently for a home theatre ?

If not, I’m certainly wanting to learn more !
post #6 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Most movie soundtracks have an LFE track, which is a bass only track. Even with full range speakers you will benefit from being able to play the LFE track through a sub rather than having the receiver mix it in with your other speakers.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #7 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
Most movie soundtracks have an LFE track, which is a bass only track. Even with full range speakers you will benefit from being able to play the LFE track through a sub rather than having the receiver mix it in with your other speakers.
This is a great point! In this case the speakers I mentioned actually have an LFE input. I believe this solves the problem you mention?
post #8 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 512
One word, no. There are no "maybe" about it. While you don't NEED a subwoofer for any system, you WANT a subwoofer, even if you don't know it yet. There is a reason the drivers in the Triton is called a 'woofer' and then there is the 'sub-woofer'. WHile the Triton may play down to 30hz, with what authority? At lower volumes, a subwoofer is that piece of dynamics everyone wants. At higher volumes, a subwoofer is that piece of dynamics everyone wants.
pbz06, Alan P and Rolls-Royce like this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #9 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
One word, no. There are no "maybe" about it. While you don't NEED a subwoofer for any system, you WANT a subwoofer, even if you don't know it yet. There is a reason the drivers in the Triton is called a 'woofer' and then there is the 'sub-woofer'. WHile the Triton may play down to 30hz, with what authority? At lower volumes, a subwoofer is that piece of dynamics everyone wants. At higher volumes, a subwoofer is that piece of dynamics everyone wants.
The speaker has 3 built-in subwoofers, doesn't it?

Also, if the frequency response is flat down to 20 or 30, doesn't that mean it plays bass with the same "authority" as it plays other frequencies? Serious question from a dunce.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 4135
Having a sub, two, three, or four allows you to detach the low frequencies from the speakers to allow better placement within the room to compensate for room modes. Room placement options can be worth their weight in gold unless you have a unicorn room that has its best response where the L/R speakers are located.
sdurani and Rex Anderson like this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 10-22-2019 at 07:25 AM.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 652
In a very small room, you might be able to get by with some very capable towers and no sub, especially if it's more for music than movies. But in a large room, you would benefit from having one or more dedicated subwoofers if you want a proper HT setup. For myself, my towers sound good in 2 channel mode and put out very good bass, but they are no match for the LFE rumbling and punching I get from a dedicated subwoofer when I put a movie on. Also, having the LFE channel going to the sub allows me to cross my towers over at 80Hz and they play mids and highs much cleaner as a result.
post #12 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Having a sub, two, three, or four allows you to detach the low frequencies from the speakers to allow better placement within the room to compensate for room modes. Room placement options can be worth the weight in gold unless you have a unicorn room that has its best response where the L/R speakers are located.
I see. So even if the speakers have incredible subwoofers in them, it might not be a good idea simply due to placement
post #13 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 4135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoochers View Post
I see. So even if the speakers have incredible subwoofers in them, it might not be a good idea simply due to placement
Correct. Better room response combined with more output = win/win.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
The speaker has 3 built-in subwoofers, doesn't it?

Also, if the frequency response is flat down to 20 or 30, doesn't that mean it plays bass with the same "authority" as it plays other frequencies? Serious question from a dunce.
In theory, yes. Real life you want the subs separate from the main speakers. As has been said, placement is HUGE for proper sound. The Triton are no slouch by any means, but I'm not a fan of AIO speaker systems. Authority is more than playing the frequency, it's how powerful it can be. Small oval subwoofers can't compete with the mass of larger round drivers. And since bass is the movement of air, like all other sounds, a larger surface area can play with more authority.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #15 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Correct. Better room response combined with more output = win/win.
+1

I'm honestly shocked at how often this gets overlooked.
Placement is typically optimized for soundstage/imaging.
Bass response can be great but it will never be as good as a perfectly placed subwoofer.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
post #16 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 7315 Post(s)
Liked: 6368
Quote:
Imagine a home theatre, maybe 27'x20'x9' or the like, with three of these bad boys. Would this home theatre need/benefit noticeably from having a subwoofer(s) beyond the three Triton Reference speakers?
Like they say in real estate: location, location, location. A 20' wide home theatre is going to have peaks & nulls across the width of the room at 28Hz, 57Hz, 85Hz, 113Hz, 141Hz, etc. Each listener will hear different bass. You can minimize the first 3 of those just by proper location of a pair of subs (above which you're out of the typical subwoofer range). All listeners across the width of the room will now hear similar bass. That frees you up to place your L/R speakers for best soundstage & imaging, without worrying what effect their placement will have on the low frequencies. Can't do that with full range speakers (unless you're handy with a saw).

Sanjay
post #17 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
One line of thinking is to buy main speakers with flat response down to 80Hz and use two (or four) subs for 80 Hz and below. As others have said, using well placed subs in your room yields smoother LF response to more seats.

And, there are advantages to using main speakers without built in subs. They aren't as big, don't require as much power, are an easier load to drive, and don't cost as much. That said, I use Revel F208's because I like having at least a three way tower speaker (the additional midrange driver helps that critical band and allows more power handling/higher SPLs). I considered F206's for mains but prefer the LF extension of the F208s because I want extended LF response, but don't always want to turn on my subs, especially for casual listening or background music. My system is on all day because I work from home. I only turn on the subs, center and surrounds for TV/movies and serious listening to music.

I listen to background music in stereo and turn on the center channel to watch basic TV (news etc). I only turn on the subs and surrounds when there is enough material to warrant having them on (movies, TV shows with good LF and surround content). FYI, I use a Revel C208 for the center channel and Revel F206's for rear surrounds. I had F208's for rear channels but decided F206's are big enough because the subs are on when they are in use.

Hope that helps.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
One line of thinking is to buy main speakers with flat response down to 80Hz and use two (or four) subs for 80 Hz and below. As others have said, using well placed subs in your room yields smoother LF response to more seats.

*snip*
Only thing I'd say is that flat down (only) to 80hz may not be ideal unless you're using steep crossover slopes. If you use the typical 12dB/octave slopes found on most receivers, then your mains will still be asked to produce a decent amount of 40hz content. If they can't, then the x-over response will not be ideal. How that impacts your in-room response is unknown without measuring, of course.

Thus, I prefer my mains play flat down to at least an octave below the chosen crossover point. IMO, this helps blend the mains to the sub. Since I tend to land on a 60hz x-over point, I tend to always buy full-range mains that can play with authority down to 30hz.

P.S. It also helps to have subs that can play cleanly at least a half-octave above the chosen x-over point. Since most AVRs have 24dB/octave slopes on the low-pass, the subs still get (with 80hz x-over) up to 120hz at 12dB down, and if they muddy that then they ruin the blend to the mains, too. 120hz is also directional, so if your subs are boosted (house curve) you may find them calling attention to themselves with an 80hz x-over point.

edit: I just thought of something else -- there is a little...nit...that the receivers tend to use 12dB slopes on the HP and 24dB slopes on the LP, which to "sum correctly" would want the mains to roll-off another 12dB. I suppose this is one argument for using speakers with an 80hz knee...but, I'm still not a fan, lol. I suppose this is because I prefer a naturally tilted response and having some extra energy down low from the mains makes me happier, lol.
Saber008 likes this.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 10-22-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! This has been extremely elucidating.
post #20 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Depending on the AVR that you are using it will be a hit and miss situation.
Since you won’t be able move around your sub to an ideal location, you’ll need to calibrate them carefully to get a smooth response, which will be kind of difficult, because of their fixed position.
I would get towers without LFE input and let that task be taken over by a pair of dedicated sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I say yes. Both music and video.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #22 of 25 Old 10-22-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Only thing I'd say is that flat down (only) to 80hz may not be ideal unless you're using steep crossover slopes. If you use the typical 12dB/octave slopes found on most receivers, then your mains will still be asked to produce a decent amount of 40hz content. If they can't, then the x-over response will not be ideal. How that impacts your in-room response is unknown without measuring, of course.

Thus, I prefer my mains play flat down to at least an octave below the chosen crossover point. IMO, this helps blend the mains to the sub. Since I tend to land on a 60hz x-over point, I tend to always buy full-range mains that can play with authority down to 30hz.

P.S. It also helps to have subs that can play cleanly at least a half-octave above the chosen x-over point. Since most AVRs have 24dB/octave slopes on the low-pass, the subs still get (with 80hz x-over) up to 120hz at 12dB down, and if they muddy that then they ruin the blend to the mains, too. 120hz is also directional, so if your subs are boosted (house curve) you may find them calling attention to themselves with an 80hz x-over point.

edit: I just thought of something else -- there is a little...nit...that the receivers tend to use 12dB slopes on the HP and 24dB slopes on the LP, which to "sum correctly" would want the mains to roll-off another 12dB. I suppose this is one argument for using speakers with an 80hz knee...but, I'm still not a fan, lol. I suppose this is because I prefer a naturally tilted response and having some extra energy down low from the mains makes me happier, lol.
All of this was discussed a while back. Dr. Toole had this to say: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58625710

There was a bit of discussion on the issue in several posts before Dr. Toole's.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
The problem that I've had with powerd towers running "full-range" is that you tend to hear a lot of unwanted audible bass dumps from time to time. Also it'll muddy up the mid bass.
With your large room.. I'd start with a good sub and if you can run double bass on your reciever/processor and go from there.

I'm willing to bet that in the end you'll find yourself with at least two matching subs and your mains cross' over at 60 or 70hz's....

Have fun.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-1 Rythmik FV25HP & 4 HSU VTF-MK5-HP, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-23-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
All of this was discussed a while back. Dr. Toole had this to say: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58625710

There was a bit of discussion on the issue in several posts before Dr. Toole's.
Sounds like Toole's post agrees with my sentiment that the room matters more (alluded to above, but maybe not obvious).

That said, given the room matters more and the selection of x-over and slopes on both the mains and subs will impact the overall response, I'd still like mains to go down low enough to allow me the flexibility to configure these parameters "any" way I need to get an...optimal...pre-EQ room response. May as well let the "necessary evils" (crossovers) do their thing as best as possible before adding anything else (EQ) to the picture. Just my opinion, of course.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-23-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Sounds like Toole's post agrees with my sentiment that the room matters more (alluded to above, but maybe not obvious).

That said, given the room matters more and the selection of x-over and slopes on both the mains and subs will impact the overall response, I'd still like mains to go down low enough to allow me the flexibility to configure these parameters "any" way I need to get an...optimal...pre-EQ room response. May as well let the "necessary evils" (crossovers) do their thing as best as possible before adding anything else (EQ) to the picture. Just my opinion, of course.

And I agree wholeheartedly. I should not have over generalized the "flat to 80 Hz" statement. I already went through that whole scenario, lol.
DreamWarrior likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page