Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
New To the Forums

Hi guys. Danny here. I am a self-professed lover of audio (even though I may not have the ear yet of an audiophile) and am about to completely overhaul my home theater set up and I wanted some opinions and suggestions. I just got a new 4k TV so I'm looking at completely replacing my receiver, subwoofer, and speakers. Here's what I'm thinking. I have a $3000 budget and I'm going to go 7.1.2 with the following:

Receiver- Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 9.2 receiver

Speakers: Front - Polk Audio Rti-A7's

Surrounds - 4 Polk Audio TSI-100's

Center Channel - Polk Audio CS10

Height Speakers - Sony SSCSE's

I am going to bi-wire the fronts as I have never had speakers with that capability before. I'm really just kind of a novice in this field but have a strong desire to watch video and hear audio in high quality. Let me know what you guys think. Have an awesome rest of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgatelyjr View Post
Hi guys. Danny here. I am a self-professed lover of audio (even though I may not have the ear yet of an audiophile) and am about to completely overhaul my home theater set up and I wanted some opinions and suggestions. I just got a new 4k TV so I'm looking at completely replacing my receiver, subwoofer, and speakers. Here's what I'm thinking. I have a $3000 budget and I'm going to go 7.1.2 with the following:

I am going to bi-wire the fronts as I have never had speakers with that capability before. I'm really just kind of a novice in this field but have a strong desire to watch video and hear audio in high quality. Let me know what you guys think. Have an awesome rest of the day.
i like your thinking with one exception,i would start with a 5.1 set up and get higher quality front 3 speakers , especially if you want a real nice dual use set up.. polk lsim speakers for fronts might be a place to start .. just an idea , but your initial thoughts are pretty good overall

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #3 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Knock the CS10 off as it is low level -- I would go after the CSi A6
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hello!

I am a total stereo guy, so I dumped all my budget into two mains and three subwoofers, but I'm sure some folks will have great advice for you.

Welcome to the forum.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #5 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7450 Post(s)
Liked: 5681
Quote:

As previously said, ditch the CS10, it's the second most complained about center speaker in this forum.

If you believe in the "timbre matching" hocus pocus, the Polk LSi706 center speaker is currently on sale from Adorama at half off MSRP.

Personally I'd just go with a totally different center altogether, a proven performer like the Emotiva C2, Chane A2.4, Ascend 340SE, etc.

The center does 70-80% of the HT output...it's what you are actually HEARING most of the time, the true workhorse/backbone of any system. NOT where you want to cut corners.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #6 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Yup. Although it depends on what you listen for. I have a CS10, and until recently had TSi100s for rear speakers. I have Emotiva T1s for mains, moved the Klipsch RB-51 IIs I had as heights to the rear, and put Klipsch R41Ms as front heights. Fewer Polks in the mix is better, in the room here. Some Polks are fine speakers. The bottom of their lines, not so much, at least if you like clarity in the higher frequencies. The horns in the Klipsch speakers exaggerate that clarity just a bit, unlike the ribbon tweeters in the Emotivas with their wonderfully realistic transparency. But the Klipsch speakers blend with the Emotivas well, while the Polks, which are reasonably good with dialog, are not quite high fidelity. (At what point in their lines do they go to better tweeters?)

It does depend on the room. The main viewing room here is acoustically dead; without good tweeters the sound is easily absorbed. Stuck the TSi100s in a barer room, and they sound reasonably good there. The center carries a lot of your load with home theater, though. My being relatively cheap there with the CS10 has been a mistake.
post #7 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:

The only Pioneer AVR I've owned was a much lower ("entry") level model... but I had a really poor experience with their MCACC room correction software. That comment might not apply to you here, because this receiver is both a lot newer than mine and much higher up on the food chain... but I had better experiences at all price points, from Entry Level up, with Audyssey, and I really like the results I'm getting AND how the software works (which most of the time it doesn't work at all with my Pioneer) with my Denon x4400h.

I had/have older/similar versions of the Polk speakers you're looking at for Fronts, center, and surrounds... for movies and TV I liked them a lot. For music I think they were 'good' but you can realize some (small percentage; law-of-diminishing-returns; but real) benefits to some more "hi-fi-ish" speakers.

You didn't list a subwoofer, but you did state "7.1.2" which I believe means one sub... definitely recommend you get one (or two) subs. I think they make a big difference for both movies and music. I recently bought a Rythmik Servo sub for my main living room system and I really like it a lot; I think it was a significant upgrade over the SVS ported sub it replaced.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #8 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i like your thinking with one exception,i would start with a 5.1 set up and get higher quality front 3 speakers , especially if you want a real nice dual use set up.. polk lsim speakers for fronts might be a place to start .. just an idea , but your initial thoughts are pretty good overall
I am currently running a 5.1 setup already so I was wanting to upgrade.

Quote:
I'll take a look. How are the A5's compared to the A7's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhollis View Post
Hello!

I am a total stereo guy, so I dumped all my budget into two mains and three subwoofers, but I'm sure some folks will have great advice for you.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
As previously said, ditch the CS10, it's the second most complained about center speaker in this forum.

If you believe in the "timbre matching" hocus pocus, the Polk LSi706 center speaker is currently on sale from Adorama at half off MSRP.

Personally I'd just go with a totally different center altogether, a proven performer like the Emotiva C2, Chane A2.4, Ascend 340SE, etc.

The center does 70-80% of the HT output...it's what you are actually HEARING most of the time, the true workhorse/backbone of any system. NOT where you want to cut corners.
Ok. As I stated above, I might do some juggling around so that I can get the good center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
The only Pioneer AVR I've owned was a much lower ("entry") level model... but I had a really poor experience with their MCACC room correction software. That comment might not apply to you here, because this receiver is both a lot newer than mine and much higher up on the food chain... but I had better experiences at all price points, from Entry Level up, with Audyssey, and I really like the results I'm getting AND how the software works (which most of the time it doesn't work at all with my Pioneer) with my Denon x4400h.

I had/have older/similar versions of the Polk speakers you're looking at for Fronts, center, and surrounds... for movies and TV I liked them a lot. For music I think they were 'good' but you can realize some (small percentage; law-of-diminishing-returns; but real) benefits to some more "hi-fi-ish" speakers.

You didn't list a subwoofer, but you did state "7.1.2" which I believe means one sub... definitely recommend you get one (or two) subs. I think they make a big difference for both movies and music. I recently bought a Rythmik Servo sub for my main living room system and I really like it a lot; I think it was a significant upgrade over the SVS ported sub it replaced.
My dad had a Pioneer stereo receiver from back in the day that lasted a very long time and, in my opinion, sounded pretty good. I think going with the Elite might be a good choice. We shall see.

And I totally did forget to list the sub. I was looking at the Polk Audio HTS-10.
post #9 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Alright...how's this sound?

Polk Audio Rti-A5's for fronts
Polk Audio CsiA4 for center
Polk Audio Rti-A1 for surrounds
Polk Audio HTS-10 for subwoofer
Sony SSCSE for height speakers placed atop the fronts

All running through a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 receiver.

Also am getting a Sony region free 4k bluray player and a PS4 Pro.
post #10 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I'm dropping the ball here. I also failed to mention the new setup's primary use. I will be using it for both home theater and music, more specifically a lot of heavy music.
post #11 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Alright...how's this sound?

Polk Audio Rti-A5's for fronts
Polk Audio CsiA4 for center
Polk Audio Rti-A1 for surrounds
Polk Audio HTS-10 for subwoofer
Sony SSCSE for height speakers placed atop the fronts
How much money can you invest for a better sub

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How much money can you invest for a better sub
None honestly. What about the BIC America subs I see? Just trying to get the best bang for my buck.
post #13 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
None honestly. What about the BIC America subs I see? Just trying to get the best bang for my buck.
Look at the Premier Acoustics PA-150 sub
https://www.ebay.com/p/12024498575?i...caAi_XEALw_wcB

----------------
Who AM I
post #14 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have $300 I can spare for a sub.
post #15 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Look at the Premier Acoustics PA-150 sub
https://www.ebay.com/p/12024498575?i...caAi_XEALw_wcB
Wow! That's a lot of power.
post #16 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I am currently running a 5.1 setup already so I was wanting to upgrade.

I'll take a look. How are the A5's compared to the A7's?

Ok. As I stated above, I might do some juggling around so that I can get the good center.

My dad had a Pioneer stereo receiver from back in the day that lasted a very long time and, in my opinion, sounded pretty good. I think going with the Elite might be a good choice. We shall see.

And I totally did forget to list the sub. I was looking at the Polk Audio HTS-10.
The sub and center are the two most essential part of any HT setup.

If you have to go with bookshelf speakers in order to afford a decent sub and center, don't think twice about it. That Polk sub is mediocre at best.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #17 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
How do you listen to your music? 2 channel stereo? With or without sub? 4 channel stereo? All channels matrixed?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #18 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The sub and center are the two most essential part of any HT setup.

If you have to go with bookshelf speakers in order to afford a decent sub and center, don't think twice about it. That Polk sub is mediocre at best.
I've been tweaking some stuff around and I think right now I'm looking at the following:

Pioneer Elite 9.2 VSX-LX303 - receiver

Polk Audio Rti-A5's - fronts
Polk Audio Rti-A1's - surrounds
Polk Audio CsiA4 - center
Sony SSCSE - heights
Premier Acoustic PA-10W - Sub

Last edited by danielgatelyjr; 10-22-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #19 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
How do you listen to your music? 2 channel stereo? With or without sub? 4 channel stereo? All channels matrixed?
2.1 stereo for music but occasionally my wife likes to listen to music in Neo6 Music on our current Yamaha receiver.
post #20 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2.1 stereo for music but occasionally my wife likes to listen to music in Neo6 Music on our current Yamaha receiver.
In that case, bookshelf speakers with a quality sub and center is the way to go. Also, you might consider going with a 5.x.4 setup, vs 7.x.2, as this will give you two dimensions in the Atmos signal (front to back, which you won't get at just 7.x.2). Multiple folks here have tried both and recommend the .4 config.

As to which speakers to choose ... have you listened to any speakers other than the Polk? if not, that would be my next move. Lots of speakers in the back room at BB. There is also Crutchfield and other internet purveyors, with moderate to free returns. No substitute for demoing in your own home.
sigpig likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-23-2019 at 12:49 AM.
post #21 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
In that case, bookshelf speakers with a quality sub and center is the way to go.
For music AND home theater?
post #22 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, for a dual-purpose system.

post #23 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I've been tweaking some stuff around and I think right now I'm looking at the following:

Pioneer Elite 9.2 VSX-LX303 - receiver

Polk Audio Rti-A5's - fronts
Polk Audio Rti-A1's - surrounds
Polk Audio CsiA4 - center
Sony SSCSE - heights
Premier Acoustic PA-10W - Sub
Looking at Amazon, I'm guessing you'd be spending
RTiA5 x 2 = $480
RTiA1 x 2 = 190
CSiA4 x 1 = $150
SSCSE x 2 = $190
PAW-10W = $250
= $1260 total

For $1170 I'd suggest this instead, way better sounding, only drawback is their cabinets aren't as pretty as the Polks:

Emotiva T-Zero towers, $400 shipped a pair
Emotiva C1 center, $250 shipped
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

SVS PB1000, $450 shipped:
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...00-outlet-1026

Surrounds & Atmos: Dayton AIR x 2 pairs, $70 shipped both pairs
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-652

* If you're willing to consider bookshelves, substituting the Emotiva B1s for the T-Z would save you $170, with which you could move up to an even better subwoofer than the PB1000:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12F.html

post #24 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking at Amazon, I'm guessing you'd be spending
RTiA5 x 2 = $480
RTiA1 x 2 = 190
CSiA4 x 1 = $150
SSCSE x 2 = $190
PAW-10W = $250
= $1260 total

For $1170 I'd suggest this instead, way better sounding, only drawback is their cabinets aren't as pretty as the Polks:

Emotiva T-Zero towers, $400 shipped a pair
Emotiva C1 center, $250 shipped
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

SVS PB1000, $450 shipped:
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...00-outlet-1026

Surrounds & Atmos: Dayton AIR x 2 pairs, $70 shipped both pairs
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-652

* If you're willing to consider bookshelves, substituting the Emotiva B1s for the T-Z would save you $170, with which you could move up to an even better subwoofer than the PB1000:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12F.html

I will look into those as well. I would, however, need to get 2 more surrounds or Atmos speakers as I'm going 7.1.2.
post #25 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I will look into those as well. I would, however, need to get 2 more surrounds or Atmos speakers as I'm going 7.1.2.
Not a problem, those Dayton AIR speakers are just $30/pair from partsexpress...shipping probably adds maybe $10.

What a lot of people do is just get the best front 3 and sub they can afford up front, then incrementally add the surrounds, and finally the Atmos speakers.

btw, unless you're a gamer there is little to be gained by going from 5 to 7 speakers, since the vast majority of movies are still natively mixed in 5 channels.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #26 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not a problem, those Dayton AIR speakers are just $30/pair from partsexpress...shipping probably adds maybe $10.

What a lot of people do is just get the best front 3 and sub they can afford up front, then incrementally add the surrounds, and finally the Atmos speakers.

btw, unless you're a gamer there is little to be gained by going from 5 to 7 speakers, since the vast majority of movies are still natively mixed in 5 channels.
I am indeed a gamer as well.

Alright, here's what I got:

Airmotiv T-Zero fronts
Airmotiv C1 Center
Dayton Audio B652 surrounds x4
Sony SSCSE Atmos speakers
SVS PB-1000 sub

I'm getting all new speaker wire to match my walls as well as the Sony region-free blu ray player and the PS4 Pro. Also getting all of the banana plugs and subwoofer cable as well as a handful of 4k blu rays.

The grand total comes up to $2932 approximately.
Lp85253 and sigpig like this.

Last edited by danielgatelyjr; 10-22-2019 at 10:41 PM.
post #27 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I am indeed a gamer as well.

Alright, here's what I got:

Airmotiv T-Zero fronts
Airmotiv C1 Center
Dayton Audio B652 surrounds x4
Sony SSCSE Atmos speakers
SVS PB-1000 sub

I'm getting all new speaker wire to match my walls as well as the Sony region-free blu ray player and the PS4 Pro. Also getting all of the banana plugs and subwoofer cable as well as a handful of 4k blu rays.

The grand total comes up to $2932 approximately.
Much, much better.

Is that in Canadian dollars? Because I can't imagine that going above $1500 USD. If you're in Canada, I'd scratch all of my recs except for the PB1000 and tell you simply to get NHT SuperOnes and Superzeros everywhere from Amazon.ca because they're dirt cheap there for some reason.

And to be honest, if you're a gamer you'd be much better off ditching towers altogether and just doing identical bookshelf speakers all around, for a truly uniform and therefore super immersive soundfield.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #28 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Much, much better.

Is that in Canadian dollars? Because I can't imagine that going above $1500 USD. If you're in Canada, I'd scratch all of my recs except for the PB1000 and tell you simply to get NHT SuperOnes and Superzeros everywhere from Amazon.ca because they're dirt cheap there for some reason.

And to be honest, if you're a gamer you'd be much better off ditching towers altogether and just doing identical bookshelf speakers all around, for a truly uniform and therefore super immersive soundfield.
No. I live in Oregon.

Just the speakers alone are about $1465. Then I have to factor in everything else. The blu ray player alone is $380 but I guess that's because it's region-free (I have a fair amount of import blu-rays). Then the PS4 Pro is $370 give or take a few dollars. Receiver is $399 and then you factor in all of the speaker wire, cables, banana plugs, etc as well as 7 bluray/4k blu rays and 3 games and it comes up to about 3k.

The way my living room is set up (it's the only place I can put a surround sound set up that I can set it up how I want) it won't allow for the the placement of the Atmos speakers anywhere other than on top of some floorstanding speakers.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
No. I live in Oregon.

Just the speakers alone are about $1465. Then I have to factor in everything else. The blu ray player alone is $380 but I guess that's because it's region-free (I have a fair amount of import blu-rays). Then the PS4 Pro is $370 give or take a few dollars. Receiver is $399 and then you factor in all of the speaker wire, cables, banana plugs, etc as well as 7 bluray/4k blu rays and 3 games and it comes up to about 3k.

The way my living room is set up (it's the only place I can put a surround sound set up that I can set it up how I want) it won't allow for the the placement of the Atmos speakers anywhere other than on top of some floorstanding speakers.
Sony region free BR is $150 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Region-P.../dp/B00M0U7AGK

Be sure to get all your cables, wire, b-plugs, etc. from Monoprice or Mediabridge via Amazon, don't get snookered by Monster Cable crap or the like.

post #30 of 45 Old 10-22-2019, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'd give the Polk signature series a listen. I have the S60's and I love the tweeter. Clear airy highs without any harshness. They can also dig pretty low. Plus they signatures look really nice IMO and help with the WAF.

I paid $2100 CAD for the following:
S60 pair = $700
S15 pair = $230
S30 = $230
MC80 ceiling (4 Atmos speakers) = $240
HTS12 pair = $700

I also got a marantz sr7013 (similar to denon's avrx4500h) for $1250.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page