Compact Speakers for Small Room - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 11-06-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
This is true, it's the lack of tonal fullness/realism that some people seem dissatisfied with...but everyone has different expectations/standards. Good luck!
And a number of AVS members even prefer the s35 sound to the s30 sound! Proving we are looking for different things in sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-07-2019, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamCannon View Post
Here's the story. The connection clips on my rear/satellite speakers (Polk RM7s) broke so I had to rig the speaker wire to get sound which is not reliable. I either need to replace them (Polk TL1's should match) or I COULD potentially upgrade.

The lay of the land:
Room: 10 L x 12 W x 8 H den that I use to watch TV (football and movies). It's partially open; one side has a pony wall on half of it.
Fronts: Polk Audio RM8's (sitting on floating shelves next to wall-mounted TV)
Center: Polk Audio RM8C (wall mounted below wall-mounted TV)
Rear/Satellite: Polk Audio RM7's (broken clips)
Subwoofer: Klipsch R-100SW
Receiver: Yamaha v373
Uses: family movie nights 2x/month, an occasional action flick since daddy is home alone, and occasionally for football.

My current setup is marginally satisfactory for the frequency of use; it's meh but gets the job done. However, I am getting older and vocals are getting a wee harder to understand.

Option 1: Replace just rears for $140 with Polk TL1's.
Option 2: Replace 5.0 for a little more, $270, and make a small upgrade to Polk TL2's. It just seems like a better value than option 1.
Option 3: Replace 5.0 or 5.1 with something that would improve vocals and richness, let's say $500 to $1000. I could go to $1500, but I'd rather not since that will cost some political capital (see constraints below).

Constraints: wife's opinion - she doesn't care for home theater and would get rid of it if she could. However, she tolerates speakers if they are small and cute. I take that to mean that 10" tall is ok if it's has a nice shape/aesthetics like a Focal Evo (i.e not just a box). She hates the sub, but oh well I can't change the laws of physics. The center channel needs to be wall mountable.

I need your help deciding between the options. If I end up leaning towards option 1, I'll just jump to option 2 since it's cheap. I doubt I would have regrets with choosing option 2 over 1. However, I could have regrets if I don't explore option 3 which is where I need your help. I've read all the posts on NHT SuperZeros, Polk S10s, larger driver is better, etc... However, I do have the constraint of small and cute unfortunately. What could I do for option 3?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Will
Please keep in mind that if you do upgrade with option 2, that might have you wanting to upgrade everything else : ) Careful!
post #33 of 40 Old 11-07-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
All really amazing advice, fellas.... Tks

I ended up buying the s35. It was the compromise between, “ can we get rid of the speakers” and a larger center speaker. Even my kid who loves super hero movies on the stereo took her side. First world problems I suppose.

However, I measured for the S30 and it would have looked overwhelming on the credenza since it’s over 10” deep and the credenza is only 18.5”. I can’t say I disagree with her opinion and I can wall mount it.

Either way, $129 pair S10s and a $199 s35s kept the cost under $500 including sales tax. I’m really excited. From what I read, vocal clarity is supposed to be great on the s35 which something I need.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

This is light years better than the Polk RM8/RM7 combo I previously had. This is better balanced and clearer and it will only get better as the speakers break in. honestly I don’t think my sub is finished getting settled either. I got it in July in a pinch when my old Polk 12” died and have used it maybe 10 hours.

Objectively speaking, the S10 is a nice surround and does ok as a front speaker for the space (12x10x8 high). As many people noted, the S35 does make vocals quite clear but it could be a bit fuller. However, I think it pairs nicely with the quad S10s. The S30 may have been too much without S15s in the front.

I like the setup a lot especially given the WAF constraints. I could have spent more on the RSLs and probably would have been even more pleased. However, I’m happy I only spent less than $500 (my lower limit).

Thanks again for all the advise. I will pay the favor forward and donate what I didn’t spend to a local charity.

Here are some pictures. It looks really clean!
gajCA, Zorba922, Rgarc and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WilliamCannon; 11-07-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Also here are some comparison pics with the old speakers.

RM8 vs S10 (front)

RM7 vs S10 (rear)

RM8C vs S10 (center)

One neat trick the RM8 has was that it was multidirectional. It did make the field of sound seem quite broad. However you had to angle it just right.
post #35 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
This is light years better than the Polk RM8/RM7 combo I previously had. This is better balanced and clearer and it will only get better as the speakers break in. honestly I don’t think my sub is finished getting settled either. I got it in July in a pinch when my old Polk 12” died and have used it maybe 10 hours.

Objectively speaking, the S10 is a nice surround and does ok as a front speaker for the space (12x10x8 high). As many people noted, the S35 does make vocals quite clear but it could be a bit fuller. However, I think it pairs nicely with the quad S10s. The S30 may have been too much without S15s in the front.

I like the setup a lot especially given the WAF constraints. I could have spent more on the RSLs and probably would have been even more pleased. However, I’m happy I only spent less than $500 (my lower limit).

Thanks again for all the advise. I will pay the favor forward and donate what I didn’t spend to a local charity.

Excellent, enjoy.

Geoff A. J., California
post #36 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
This is true, it's the lack of tonal fullness/realism that some people seem dissatisfied with...but everyone has different expectations/standards. Good luck!
Yup. I returned my S35 to BestBuy within a week of buying it. I just hated the lack of low end to properly reproduce male vocals. Alas, like you stated, we all like different things. Glad the OP found something he likes that also passes WAF. We all make compromises all the time. Such is life.
Zorba922 likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #37 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

One last question. My speaker wire (16 gauge) has little pins at the end. I screwed the speaker posts to the pins and while it does make a solid connection, the pins are thin and leave little surface contact. Banana plugs are an option for these speakers. Should I snip the pins and get some banana plugs?
post #38 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Great job!
post #39 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I personally would not snip them as I don't think it would make a big difference. I prefer bare wire except in cases where I'm going to be swapping equipment or the binding posts are awkward to access.
post #40 of 40 Old 11-08-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
One last question. My speaker wire (16 gauge) has little pins at the end. I screwed the speaker posts to the pins and while it does make a solid connection, the pins are thin and leave little surface contact. Banana plugs are an option for these speakers. Should I snip the pins and get some banana plugs?
I recommend Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs...

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page