Atmos in Ceiling – My Setup – Down Firing or Angled – How Close to Walls - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-28-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Atmos in Ceiling – My Setup – Down Firing or Angled – How Close to Walls

My first issue was if a down firing or angled speaker was needed. As best I can find online, folks like the idea of angling them at the listening position but that may mess with the 3D sound object aspects of Atmos.

The other issue is the speakers and the listening position. Dolby shows the down firing speakers on the ceiling positioned at a distance in front and in back where a 45° line would come up and to the front or back of the listening position. In my setup the fronts can be the needed distance of about 4-1/2 Ft while the backs will max out at about 3-1/2 Ft and that would be right up against the back wall. Should the fronts be moved in to match the backs?

From left to right I just plan to install them in line with the front left and right speakers, as best I can and not hit a joist.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15715200873305960167675027106774_1571520120186.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	2633254   Click image for larger version

Name:	15715200308278111962130567321013_1571520073941.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	2633256  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-31-2019, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'm in the same situation. I want my sofa pushed up right against the rear wall, so that instantly gives me issues with rears, which i might get around with in wall speakers. But for Atmos i'm stumped.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-02-2019, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well I do have a little over 3 ft behind the listing position but I don't know if the fronts should be brought in to match. So you'd have the same distance in front as behind or since there's more room in front go ahead and move those out further. The lack of information on this kind of stuff seems crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-03-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2841 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Well I do have a little over 3 ft behind the listing position but I don't know if the fronts should be brought in to match. So you'd have the same distance in front as behind or since there's more room in front go ahead and move those out further. The lack of information on this kind of stuff seems crazy.

No, I'd not bring the fronts in to match the rears, unless that placement dumps them right on top of the mains, or something like that. Do your best to hit the 45 degree angle, sounds like your fronts are good to go, the rears are short of that, but might still be within the acceptable angle, it's not absolute. I think you'll be fine. Yeah, close to the rear wall - true - not ideal, bit given their intent, I still think you'll be O.K. for Atmos. FWIW - my fronts are perfect at 45, and the rears are in closer, similar to what yours would be - and it's totally fine. Further from the walls than yours, but not "ideal" either. I do have speakers with boundary control switch that is used, and aimable tweeters which I think both do help.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5 of 9 Old 11-03-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 702
I have a smallish room as well (13'2" from front to back) but a fairly high ceiling, so I went with on ceiling atmos speakers in a front height rear height type of setup. The front atmos speakers are right above the front tower speakers, and the rear heights are as far back against the wall as I could get them while keeping them angled in a bit. I have my seating about 3 feet from the back wall, give or take a few inches. I initially set them up in the AVR as Front Height and Rear Height, but after some playing around, I decided I liked Front Height and Top Rear better.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 278
For Atmos we use Triad InWall or OnWall Bipole Surrounds in the ceiling for theaters having a ceiling height of 9 feet or less. Great dispersion and coverage with excellent localization.

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...nze4-surround/

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...onze-surround/

[email protected]
post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Steve did a few great videos on this. You want separation from bed layer to your atmos height channels. You want your atmos to be ideally at a 45 degree angle. In reality you do the best you can to get close to dolby specs. In my theater I was going to do 45 degree angled boxes for DIY speakers then I was going to do pivoting on ceiling speakers but they were just to large. And ended up going with in ceiling 15% angled speakers. Not ideal but ya do the best you can with the space.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #8 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

There's some good info in the video but about 8 minutes in he's moving the speakers in closer front and back to 55 instead of 45 without any real explanation other than there's a gap above if you just have the two sets of speakers so why not bring them in. Because none of the diagrams or anything on the don't be site says to. ??? He also says for better quality you should have speakers mounted on brackets pointing directly at the listening position and again Dolby says you should use wide dispersion speakers pointing straight down. like you're trying to create a field in front of you where sounds can be placed as three dimensional points in space not sounds that come directly from one speaker or the other. ???
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I don’t think it matters much if the speakers are pointed directly at you or not. If you’re a bit off axis, the receiver’s auto-calibration will make the volume adjustment so they’re all equal-ish.

Likewise, it’s ok if the rear speakers are a more direct angle than the front, the level should be set a bit higher on the fronts to compensate.

My arrangement is height speakers up in the corners of the room but since the rear corner of the room is much closer to the couch, I set those as top-rear and the fronts as front-height. Sounds great. I have the rear speakers toed in a bit toward MLP and the fronts face straight out and down from the ceiling directly over the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page