post #31 of 55 Old 11-30-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3282 Post(s)
Liked: 3179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Interesting, I'll try that on my Usher V602s.
So, you are going to turbo charge your speakers?
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 11-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9340 Post(s)
Liked: 6426
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
So, you are going to turbo charge your speakers?
I doubt there is any difference but I have two small pieces of speaker wire to use as jumpers instead of the original copper(?) plates so I doubt I'd notice any difference but easy enough to try as the OP seems to think it works.

Not biamping, just changing jumpers.

EDIT: it can't be copper as they have not turned green in 10 years so the stock jumpers must be brass, so, who knows, "could" make a difference.

Quote:
Although it is considered to be a good electric conductor, brass is only 28 percent as conductive as copper.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #33 of 55 Old 11-30-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3282 Post(s)
Liked: 3179
Quote:
EDIT: it can't be copper as they have not turned green in 10 years so the stock jumpers must be brass, so, who knows, "could" make a difference.
You can always try it -- but a very short distance between the 2 posts.

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 11-30-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Quote:
I doubt there is any difference but I have two small pieces of speaker wire to use as jumpers instead of the original copper(?) plates so I doubt I'd notice any difference but easy enough to try as the OP seems to think it works.

probably brass jumpers now..??.. i've heard some wharfedale guys that swear by hi end jumpers.. i haven't tried anything though

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #35 of 55 Old 11-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Talking

Quote:

I think you should get the $100 Monster jumpers a salesperson at Best Buy sold me yesterday! He said they were just the thing to make my low end system sound high end Tell you what Geoff, I'll let you have my pair for $90 shipped
christoofar and Lp85253 like this.
post #36 of 55 Old 12-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9340 Post(s)
Liked: 6426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Iyengar View Post
I think you should get the $100 Monster jumpers a salesperson at Best Buy sold me yesterday! He said they were just the thing to make my low end system sound high end Tell you what Geoff, I'll let you have my pair for $90 shipped
I'll use three inch section of all copper monoprice 12 AWG I have in the garage somewhere.

If I get motivated that is.

Geoff A. J., California

Last edited by gajCA; 12-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #37 of 55 Old 12-01-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I bought a set of these Mogami jumpers a couple years ago, seem to be good quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Mogami...cAAOSwmrlU1mxn

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #38 of 55 Old 12-01-2019, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ha ha! I see we have a few doubters here. Can't say I blame you as I didn't think two small speaker wires could make such a drastic difference. All I can say is that, if you have some extra wire lying around as I did, you should give it a go and see the change it makes. You could enjoy a big jump in performance for very little outlay.
post #39 of 55 Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@G-dog69 , how do they sound at low volumes? Over in the Wharfedale Owners thread, there was talks about them only coming to life when volume was turned up.
post #40 of 55 Old 12-02-2019, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They do sound their best at a reasonable volume. At very low levels the sound lacks presence and the bass doesn't have punch, but then that is true of most speakers I think. They are certainly not unduly demanding in that respect.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
post #41 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-dog69 View Post
They do sound their best at a reasonable volume. At very low levels the sound lacks presence and the bass doesn't have punch, but then that is true of most speakers I think. They are certainly not unduly demanding in that respect.
This is true of my Polk Signature speakers, and it is the whole reason I'm on AVS in the first place. At lower volumes, the sound lacks presence and the bass doesn't have punch, and midrange sucks. At higher levels, it's great but my family yells at me. This is why I considered the Playbar because my little Sonos One sounds great at lower volumes. Even my Bose system in car sounds amazing at lower levels.

The funny thing is my Polk s10 sound better than s15 at lower levels and s15 sound better than s50. But I can't play at 75 db all the time due to family.

I think trick to lower levels is smaller woofers?
post #42 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7424 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
This is true of my Polk Signature speakers, and it is the whole reason I'm on AVS in the first place. At lower volumes, the sound lacks presence and the bass doesn't have punch, and midrange sucks. At higher levels, it's great but my family yells at me. This is why I considered the Playbar because my little Sonos One sounds great at lower volumes. Even my Bose system in car sounds amazing at lower levels.

The funny thing is my Polk s10 sound better than s15 at lower levels and s15 sound better than s50. But I can't play at 75 db all the time due to family.

I think trick to lower levels is smaller woofers?
You should have tried Emotiva speakers, then. The original B1s I used to own don't measure as well as many of the speakers favored on AVS but used with a good sub they had tons of satisfying detail even at low and moderate volumes, such that I didn't mind not turning them up much due to my wife having very sensitive ears and being super cautious about disturbing our neighbors in our old apartment that had very thin walls.

The current "plus" version Emotivas supposedly have upgraded crossovers so they should sound even better, and the prices are very reasonable...the T-Zero towers at $400/pair are basically the same as a good pair of bookshelves including the cost of speaker stands.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #43 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
You should have tried Emotiva speakers, then. The original B1s I used to own don't measure as well as many of the speakers favored on AVS but used with a good sub they had tons of satisfying detail even at low and moderate volumes, such that I didn't mind not turning them up much due to my wife having very sensitive ears and being super cautious about disturbing our neighbors in our old apartment that had very thin walls.

The current "plus" version Emotivas supposedly have upgraded crossovers so they should sound even better, and the prices are very reasonable...the T-Zero towers at $400/pair are basically the same as a good pair of bookshelves including the cost of speaker stands.
i finally got a chance to a/b the stock b1 vs the modded version.. the clarity difference is night / day.. inner details become , well detailed..it's truly lifting the veil ..the modded b1 is very similar to the cbm 170.. only not forward , it's a nice speaker, truly a long term speaker for me..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #44 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i finally got a chance to a/b the stock b1 vs the modded version.. the clarity difference is night / day.. inner details become , well detailed..it's truly lifting the veil ..the modded b1 is very similar to the cbm 170.. only not forward , it's a nice speaker, truly a long term speaker for me..
It would be interesting if you were ever able to do a blind test between the original B1, modded B1s, and the new B1+ ...
Lp85253 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #45 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It would be interesting if you were ever able to do a blind test between the original B1, modded B1s, and the new B1+ ...
that would be fun.. i'm pretty sure i could get the b1 vs modded right in a 2 way most every time , but throw in a 3rd option and i'd probably get the spins edit: the modded really don't sound like the originals .. i wish you lived close enough so i could demo em for you .. you got rid of your b1's , correct?
Zorba922 likes this.

post #46 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
you got rid of your b1's , correct?
yep, that was before I knew I would be moving to a bigger place where I would have room for separate music and HT setups. The Arena 170s I replaced them with are fine for HT though there is still a little of that AMT magic that I'm missing...probably placebo, lol.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #47 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yep, that was before I knew I would be moving to a bigger place where I would have room for separate music and HT setups. The Arena 170s I replaced them with are fine for HT though there is still a little of that AMT magic that I'm missing...probably placebo, lol.
the b1's are pretty good at ht , but the jbl's should be fine for quite a while.. that amt is fun though .. better if Dennis get's to work on them..but you know 1st hand about Dennis' work, you have probably the best bang for buck (semi expensive example) speaker we talk about here..

post #48 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:

What Emotiva bookshelf, center, and surrounds do you recommend then? I'm looking to spend at the border of diminishing returns, e.g., Ascend Sierra 2EX.
post #49 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:

The Polk Sigs don't have to play very loud to wake up -- just 75 dB at 11 ft away is enough but that's too loud due to my wife having very sensitive ears. She once went across to the neighbors and told them their baby was crying and they couldn't hear it.

After I figured this out about the Polks, I believe all the good reviews. They are a great set of speakers for the price at a certain volume and above. It's just that they're hissy/screechy at below that volume.

So the goals of my 4-month long search for speakers are (1) a little better clarity than Polk Signature (does not have to be much more clear), (2) Better vocals (should be a noticeable improvement), (3) Play significantly better than Polk Signature at lower volume and less power.

Last edited by Vikram Iyengar; 12-03-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #50 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What Emotiva bookshelf, center, and surrounds do you recommend then? I'm looking to spend at the border of diminishing returns, e.g., Ascend Sierra 2EX.
b1+ bookshelf ... c1 or c2 center .. the t0 would be a good substitute for the b1+..

post #51 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-dog69 View Post
Well, after some weeks of listening, the speakers were settling in nicely. There were noticeable improvements in sound quality as they were run in. Today, I made a change that really transformed the 4.1s. I removed the brass links and inserted cut strip of my speaker cables as jumpers. I was expecting a mild improvement and was stunned at the difference. They sound as if they have been turbocharged. The soundstage and clarity have radically improved and the speakers sound much livelier and more dynamic than before. The bass remains a funny thing - on some songs I feel they lack deep bass, on others they rattle my sofa. Overall, I would say that biwring or at the very least using speaker cable as jumpers is mandatory to hear these speakers at their best.
Sounds like you have some peaks/nulls in your bass frequency response. You might consider moving your speakers or the listening chair in an attempt to improve/flatten the response.

This is a common problem with choosing tower speakers, their bass response is best in one position, but imaging and soundstage is best in another. It's always a compromise of some sort.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 12-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #52 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
The Emotiva B1s are sold out at the moment reportedly with no restock date in sight, so I'd go with either the T-Zero or T1 towers.

For the center, I'd get the C2 if you have the space.
Lp85253 likes this.

post #53 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The Polk Sigs don't have to play very loud to wake up -- just 75 dB at 11 ft away is enough but that's too loud due to my wife having very sensitive ears.
Ha, 75db is what I use when watching alone, sans wife.

With a good sub, the B1s sounded good as low as 60-65db.

post #54 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

Didn't realize you got rid of your B1s. What speakers do you still own now? Obviously the BMRs , but don't you have a set for another room as well?
post #55 of 55 Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Didn't realize you got rid of your B1s. What speakers do you still own now? Obviously the BMRs , but don't you have a set for another room as well?
Yeah, BMRs in the living room 2.0 music setup (soon to be 2.1 or 2.2 once my JBL subs get here) and JBL Arena 170s with Chane A2.4 center in the movie room. If I had only known I would be moving into a place big enough for 2 setups I would never have sold the B1/C1 combo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page