Wasting weeks cant transition from soundbar help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wasting weeks cant transition from soundbar help

OK so I have a annoying vizo 5.1 soundbar system which I know I will get smashed for saying this but actually sounds decent. The biggest thing about it that I love is the vocals and center staging on this. Idk how it does it but all the channels blend so well and it sounds like the people on screen are talking right in front of me. I really like that in your face blended vocal sound. I have tried a couple 5.1 standard setups and also some Polk monitor towers with matching center speaker and its just not even close. I feel like what I'm looking for is a 2 channel setup that blends well and is clear and loud basically I want what this soundbar somehow does but cleaner and better. I know there are tons of factors like room, budget, receiver etc etc. I never thought I wouldn't be able to upgrade from a cheap vizio soundbar system but I can find anything that can fill/blend in my room so evenly and be so present up front and I want to so bad. Hopefully that made sense and maybe ill get lucky and someone will ave been through this or know what I mean and have some suggestions. Thanks
lazerline19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Dolus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
You should be very pleased with yourself that you have something that does exactly what you want and you like. Even be doubly pleased that you have listened to other systems that do not even come close. As the saying goes 'If it ain't broke then don't fix it.'


But and there is always a but, where did you listen to the other systems? Maybe you have a great room acoustically and the other systems would sound great in your room.

Denon AVR-X6400H,Sony KDL50W829 ,Virgin Media V Box HD, WDTV, PS3, Philips DVP9560, Marantz CD67, BK Monolith Plus x 2, KEF TDM 23C,23F & 34DS, Jamo D500, Darbee Darblet, Belkin F9G6223uk3M, Buttkicker LFE kit, IsoAcoustics L8R430, Mede8er 800X3D, Behringer B1200d, AC Infinity Aircom T9
Dolus is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Its a condo double sided so I can't get crazy with bass. I think that is why I focus more on the quality and vocal side of things. The room is a medium sized living room with very high ceilings that are also very angled. Hard to explain the ceiling it's almost like a stop sign has me curious how maybe some atmos firing up at them would sound maybe all the angles would help or harm. I found these they have my interest....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CN6WJKZG&psc=1
lazerline19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,339
Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5543 Post(s)
Liked: 10694
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
Its a condo double sided so I can't get crazy with bass. I think that is why I focus more on the quality and vocal side of things. The room is a medium sized living room with very high ceilings that are also very angled. Hard to explain the ceiling it's almost like a stop sign has me curious how maybe some atmos firing up at them would sound maybe all the angles would help or harm. I found these they have my interest....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CN6WJKZG&psc=1

Hi,

The room acoustics are whatever they are, and without some fairly extensive room treatments, you won't be able to do much about that part. You can read a little about room acoustics and room treatments in Section I of the Guide, linked below. But, room acoustics aside, if you like some of what your soundbar is able to do, you should be able to improve on that with some decent speakers, although they will certainly cost more than the soundbar you have now.

I think that part of the problem may be that you are being a little random in your search. I think that, if your goal is an outstanding front sound stage, then that is what you should concentrate on. For the moment at least, forget about 5.1, and forget about Atmos speakers. You want a center channel and two front speakers that sound good to you. Once you have that, you can add additional speakers to your system. But, the additional channels are like building blocks. You want to start with a solid foundation, and that's the front soundstage where about 90% or more of the content originates.

There are a couple of different ways you can start. You mentioned wanting a good two-channel system. That is one way to begin, but you will never get quite as clear vocals, for movies/TV, from a two-channel system as you will from a good center channel. So, I would start by identifying two front speakers, and a more-or-less matching center channel, that you really like. To do that, you will need to set a budget, and you will need to go do some speaker auditions.

There used to be an AVS thread that listed people willing to host speaker auditions for others in their area. You could do a search for that thread and post there. You might also want to consider doing a road trip to audition some speakers at some audio stores other than just Best Buy, or someplace like that.

Ultimately, you will need to hear the speakers you like in your own room, so a free-trial period is desirable. But first, you just need to find some potential choices you like. There are a lot of good speakers out there. I'm sure you can find some that please you, while meeting the budget you set. I should warn you, though, that you will probably end-up increasing your budget from whatever number you initially set. That usually happens with everything, and not just with speakers.

I think I should also note that soundbars are pretty easy to implement. You wire them up and they play the way they are supposed to. That is part of their appeal. Integrating multiple speakers to play well together, takes good placement, and some effort in calibration. There are some aides available for that, including the Guide which I referred to before.

But, there is more knowledge and effort involved with multiple speakers, than there is with a soundbar, and that is a factor you need to consider. It's not just that a three-channel or five-channel system will cost more than a soundbar, it will also take more knowledge and effort to implement effectively. That factor could also help to explain the disappointment you have experienced, so far, with the speakers you have tried.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 11-07-2019 at 07:07 AM.
mthomas47 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
OK so I have a annoying vizo 5.1 soundbar system which I know I will get smashed for saying this but actually sounds decent. The biggest thing about it that I love is the vocals and center staging on this. Idk how it does it but all the channels blend so well and it sounds like the people on screen are talking right in front of me. I really like that in your face blended vocal sound. I have tried a couple 5.1 standard setups and also some Polk monitor towers with matching center speaker and its just not even close. I feel like what I'm looking for is a 2 channel setup that blends well and is clear and loud basically I want what this soundbar somehow does but cleaner and better. I know there are tons of factors like room, budget, receiver etc etc. I never thought I wouldn't be able to upgrade from a cheap vizio soundbar system but I can find anything that can fill/blend in my room so evenly and be so present up front and I want to so bad. Hopefully that made sense and maybe ill get lucky and someone will ave been through this or know what I mean and have some suggestions. Thanks
If you are happy that is all that counts.

No need to justify something you enjoy.

My friend ditched his Bose Acoustimass 5.1 system about a year ago and I put in the Polk Command Bar system that was very inexpensive but sounds better in his room.

Even the little sub was impressive for its size and was certainly better than the Bose bass box.

Enjoy.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I forgot to mention this is strictly for TV watching Netflix amazon cable for movies and shows. I read some people like using center speakers maybe creating a 3.1 with 3 centers would work? something like the Micca MB42-C. Another thing I noticed is the bar has a setting called "true volume" which dramatically brings out all the sounds and makes them feel closer to me. Maybe the towers were just to much to big for my application and room maybe I need to focus on more smaller speakers rather than less and larger? could that be a possibility?

Last edited by lazerline19; 11-07-2019 at 12:24 PM.
lazerline19 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 12,000
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6564 Post(s)
Liked: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
I forgot to mention this is strictly for TV watching Netflix amazon cable for movies and shows. I read some people like using center speakers maybe creating a 3.1 with 3 centers would work? something like the Micca MB42-C. Another thing I noticed is the bar has a setting called "true volume" which dramatically brings out all the sounds and makes them feel closer to me. Maybe the towers were just to much to big for my application and room maybe I need to focus on more smaller speakers rather than less and larger? could that be a possibility?
Most horizontal center speakers are a compromise, resulting in comb filtering and dispersion issues. While some folks use them for all three front speakers and are satisfied with the experience, if at all possible the ideal is three vertically oriented speakers. Most who use three horizontal speakers only do so because of placement/space issues.
Alan P is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,797
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
I forgot to mention this is strictly for TV watching Netflix amazon cable for movies and shows. I read some people like using center speakers maybe creating a 3.1 with 3 centers would work? something like the Micca MB42-C. Another thing I noticed is the bar has a setting called "true volume" which dramatically brings out all the sounds and makes them feel closer to me. Maybe the towers were just to much to big for my application and room maybe I need to focus on more smaller speakers rather than less and larger? could that be a possibility?
What would be your max budget for a front three

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,020
Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7307 Post(s)
Liked: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
I have tried a couple 5.1 standard setups and also some Polk monitor towers with matching center speaker and its just not even close.
A lot of horizontal center speakers in the budget-oriented packaged systems are craptastic...the Polk Monitor's "matching" center (CS2/10/20) is the second worst (the worst of the worst is the Pioneer Andrew Jones CP-22).

However, you can get an excellent horizontal center speaker in the $200-300 range that would make you completely forget all about your soundbar, like the Emotiva C1, Chane A2.4 or Ascend 340SE.

Having a VERTICAL center that is identical to the L/R speakers is the ideal, but very people can swing that due to WAF and cabinet limitations.
Alan P likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know this is terrible to say id like to stay budget friendly which is a big no no but I feel like in comparison to what I have now which was only like $200 Im guessing with proper selection I can do well plus there are so many sales right now. I saw the sony bookshelf's which have fantastic reviews and are very budget but they are way to large for my 3 tier stand I have actually here is an image of what im working with this will probably help with suggestions its such a sh*tty setup I know be gentle on me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_160340.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	822.9 KB
ID:	2637834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_160347.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	887.1 KB
ID:	2637836   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_161131.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	929.2 KB
ID:	2637846  

Last edited by lazerline19; 11-07-2019 at 02:13 PM.
lazerline19 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 11-07-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,020
Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7307 Post(s)
Liked: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
I know this is terrible to say id like to stay budget friendly which is a big no no but I feel like in comparison to what I have now which was only like $200 Im guessing with proper selection I can do well plus there are so many sales right now. I saw the sony bookshelf's which have fantastic reviews and are very budget but they are way to large for my 3 tier stand I have actually here is an image of what im working with this will probably help with suggestions its such a sh*tty setup I know be gentle on me
Assuming you already have a receiver (the photos were too dark to tell) I'd just get a single Emotiva C1 instead of the soundbar, and add L/R speakers in the distant future such as NHT SuperZeros ($62 each from Amazon). If you call Emotiva directly and ask for a factory refurb they'll usually ship you one for around $215 in pristine condition. The C1's larger drivers and 3 way design will give you superior voice clarity as well as tonal fullness.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 11-08-2019, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-c1.......this?
that's one attractive beauty your saying start with this in the center channel first and build off that?
lazerline19 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 11-08-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mark62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Peoria, Az.
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-c1.......this?
that's one attractive beauty your saying start with this in the center channel first and build off that?

yes, that is what he means.
mark62 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 11-08-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
why not this one because I said cheap as possible or is it less likely to be what I was saying I wanted?

https://emotiva.com/collections/loud.../airmotiv-c2-1
lazerline19 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 11-08-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,797
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
why not this one because I said cheap as possible or is it less likely to be what I was saying I wanted?

https://emotiva.com/collections/loud.../airmotiv-c2-1
If you want to spend -- then that is a good option

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 11-08-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,705
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9267 Post(s)
Liked: 6373
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
why not this one because I said cheap as possible or is it less likely to be what I was saying I wanted?

https://emotiva.com/collections/loud.../airmotiv-c2-1
That is a VERY large center.

Dimensions: 8-5/8” high x 31-15/16” wide x 10-1/2” deep.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,020
Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7307 Post(s)
Liked: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerline19 View Post
why not this one because I said cheap as possible or is it less likely to be what I was saying I wanted?

https://emotiva.com/collections/loud.../airmotiv-c2-1
Yes.

If you can swing the extra $150 for the C2 over the C1, by all means do so, you will not regret it.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off