LCR Speaker Placement Question for new setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question LCR Speaker Placement Question for new setup

I just purchased a couple of LSIM 703's and a 704c. I'm looking for advice for placement in my new setup. I have a 78" wide x 29" high console in front with two subs (17" wide x 21" high) on each side. I also have a 100" L screen that will be hung above. Lastly, the room is 13'4" wide.

I know I'll need to experiment with placement and plan on doing so but I'm curious about a couple of things..

1) Will I have enough width if I place all three on the console? (78" wide)
2) If not, is it advisable to find short stands with isolation feet and place on the subs (SVS PB-2000's)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
Dolby Labs recommendation (for home theater):

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Dolby Labs recommendation (for home theater):

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

Thanks Bobknavs... I think I get the angles that are desired "in general"... I guess my question(s) are more around the actual placement on the cabinet and/or subs as it relates to the type of dispersion these bookshelves have.

My last build was a more traditional theater room with inwalls and no console. This time, I figured if I have to have a console I might has well go with bookshelves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Nobody can tell you the exact right placement, as it varies with every different room. Start with an equilateral triangle with your seating position and experiment with width, depth to wall, and toe-in until you get a nice image and reasonably even frequency response. Don't invest in stands of any kind until you have reached your final conclusion as to best placement. Just use makeshift stands. Stack of books, boxes, chairs, whatever. Try to keep the tweeter at seated ear level.

Re the subs, place them at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of the width of the wall, to start, and go from there.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Nobody can tell you the exact right placement, as it varies with every different room. Start with an equilateral triangle with your seating position and experiment with width, depth to wall, and toe-in until you get a nice image and reasonably even frequency response. Don't invest in stands of any kind until you have reached your final conclusion as to best placement. Just use makeshift stands. Stack of books, boxes, chairs, whatever. Try to keep the tweeter at seated ear level.

Re the subs, place them at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of the width of the wall, to start, and go from there.
I'm probably stating the obvious, but with an "equilateral triangle", the LR fronts are 30° off axis, at one limit of the Dolby recommendation.

If the angles are your targets, they'd depend on one factor you don't mention: listening distance.

To get 30°, the listening distance would be 0.866X the spacing between the LR fronts. For 22°, 1.24X. (I love high school trig.)

If your console is 78" wide, I'll assume that the LR fronts will be 70" apart. Then, the viewing distance for ±22° would be about 87". Do you sit that close?

I have little doubt that the Dolby recommendations are frequently not followed. If the stereo separation isn't optimal, is it a big deal?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Gotta listen and adjust. If the best position falls outside the Dolby recs, then they will just come for you in the night ...

Listening rules, not Dolby rules.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-08-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I'm probably stating the obvious, but with an "equilateral triangle", the LR fronts are 30° off axis, at one limit of the Dolby recommendation.

If the angles are your targets, they'd depend on one factor you don't mention: listening distance.

To get 30°, the listening distance would be 0.866X the spacing between the LR fronts. For 22°, 1.24X. (I love high school trig.)

If your console is 78" wide, I'll assume that the LR fronts will be 70" apart. Then, the viewing distance for ±22° would be about 87". Do you sit that close?

I have little doubt that the Dolby recommendations are frequently not followed. If the stereo separation isn't optimal, is it a big deal?

No not 87" close... more like 125"-135". If I place them on the subs I can get about 102" of separation and using the 22deg calc (1.24x) that puts me about 10.5' away and I was planning on my MLP to be between 10-12 feet.

That said, is it advisable to place small speaker stands on subs for L/R's? (if that is where my eyes have the best placement?)
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
No not 87" close... more like 125"-135". If I place them on the subs I can get about 102" of separation and using the 22deg calc (1.24x) that puts me about 10.5' away and I was planning on my MLP to be between 10-12 feet.

That said, is it advisable to place small speaker stands on subs for L/R's? (if that is where my eyes have the best placement?)
The tweeters are supposed to be near ear level. (Not critical, I think.) That's typically around 4 feet. The tweeter of the LSIM 703 looks to be approximately 1 foot above its base. If your subs are 21" tall, that means that you'd like to raise the 703s about 15", if they are atop the subs.

You don't intend to try RayGuy's suggestion for sub placement?

Aside: I didn't have much luck in optimizing my subwoofer positions. The setup is in my living room, rather than a dedicated theater space. I had 4 possible positions for 2 subs. None of the configurations was very good. I probably should rotate the whole setup 90°, but I shudder at the thought of re-positioning the Atmos overheads.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7307 Post(s)
Liked: 5591
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777 View Post
I would put something between the stands and the subs, like foam yoga blocks.
https://www.amazon.com/Node-Fitness-.../dp/B07JLXNWKL

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page