LCR for Large Open Media Space - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
LCR for Large Open Media Space

I have a friend who purchased a new Parade home and it has a wired large open concept media space that is completely open to the back, 19' wide by 11' ceiling. (picture attached - none of the LCR's are staying). It is wired for a 5.2.4 setup with the surrounds and Atmos speakers being in-wall/in-ceiling and already there. They are Revels, I would imagine the lowest end Revel makes. The screen will be 12' wide and we will need a pair of towers and a center to go underneath.

He already had a couple cheap and small Klipsh subs they insist on using for the time being, which will be next to worthless. I can pretty much guarantee we will be upgrading those at some point to a pair much more substantial, but I digress. The entire setup will be powered with a Denon X3600.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for the LCR (2 towers and center) that will be able to fill this large open space and sound "good enough" as they are not particular by any means. Because of that, I'm thinking something in the $1500 total or less range will do. Usage will be almost exclusively TV, sports and movies.

Any thoughts on the current deals or otherwise? I was thinking maybe HTD Level 3's, but am completely open to other opinions. I've never dealt with a space this large and open.

As a sidenote the AV place who had this parade home had this tiny screen paired with a Sony 5000 and during the Parade, had the back not shaded at all. What a joke and waste that was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	2638568  
tcramer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340( + stands) for L/R and CMT-340C center... Should com in under 1k

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
smithsabom is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,015
Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7306 Post(s)
Liked: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
What I'm looking for are suggestions for the LCR (2 towers and center) that will be able to fill this large open space and sound "good enough" as they are not particular by any means. Because of that, I'm thinking something in the $1500 total or less range will do. Usage will be almost exclusively TV, sports and movies.

Any thoughts on the current deals or otherwise? I was thinking maybe HTD Level 3's, but am completely open to other opinions. I've never dealt with a space this large and open.
If your friend will be sitting the typical 10-12ft away from the screen, the size of the space doesn't really matter for speaker selection---only for SUBWOOFER selection. I'd strongly encourage them to look at a robust 15" one like the Hsu VTF-3 or 15.

Ascend 340SE x 3 as suggested above is a solid bet if very loud volumes are desired, but you will need stands for them, so it depends on how dead set they are on having "towers"---Ascend does make some "tower look" OEM stands though.

The HTD Level 3 towers might also be worth looking at.

I'd also look at the Chane A5.5 if you can wait until end of November for it to arrive.

Also, the Emotiva T1 or T2 especially with the outstanding and massive C2 center.
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,687
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9261 Post(s)
Liked: 6368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I have a friend who purchased a new Parade home and it has a wired large open concept media space that is completely open to the back, 19' wide by 11' ceiling. (picture attached - none of the LCR's are staying). It is wired for a 5.2.4 setup with the surrounds and Atmos speakers being in-wall/in-ceiling and already there. They are Revels, I would imagine the lowest end Revel makes. The screen will be 12' wide and we will need a pair of towers and a center to go underneath.

He already had a couple cheap and small Klipsh subs they insist on using for the time being, which will be next to worthless. I can pretty much guarantee we will be upgrading those at some point to a pair much more substantial, but I digress. The entire setup will be powered with a Denon X3600.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for the LCR (2 towers and center) that will be able to fill this large open space and sound "good enough" as they are not particular by any means. Because of that, I'm thinking something in the $1500 total or less range will do. Usage will be almost exclusively TV, sports and movies.

Any thoughts on the current deals or otherwise? I was thinking maybe HTD Level 3's, but am completely open to other opinions. I've never dealt with a space this large and open.

As a sidenote the AV place who had this parade home had this tiny screen paired with a Sony 5000 and during the Parade, had the back not shaded at all. What a joke and waste that was.
What is a parade home?

These should do the trick; his local Best Buy will price match with easy returns.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP4...50C-Ebony.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714RP6...00F-Ebony.html

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,118
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 2703
Carpeting and wall panels would be the best thing you could do for that room. It's a giant echo chamber in it's current configuration. For inexpensive yet good quality speakers, look at the options from RSL. Their sound signature should pair well with the existing Revels. CG23s across the front should be sufficient, then they can spend the rest on room treatments / carpet.

Darker paint would also be a huge improvement for the visuals (less reflectivity).
tebling likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-09-2019 at 11:52 AM.
RayGuy is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Carpeting and wall panels would be the best thing you could do for that room. It's a giant echo chamber in it's current configuration. For inexpensive yet good quality speakers, look at the options from RSL. Their sound signature should pair well with the existing Revels. CG23s across the front should be sufficient, then they can spend the rest on room treatments / carpet.

It is carpeted. There's plastic sheets over the carpet. CG23s are too small and inefficient for that space.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I have a friend who purchased a new Parade home and it has a wired large open concept media space that is completely open to the back, 19' wide by 11' ceiling. (picture attached - none of the LCR's are staying). It is wired for a 5.2.4 setup with the surrounds and Atmos speakers being in-wall/in-ceiling and already there. They are Revels, I would imagine the lowest end Revel makes. The screen will be 12' wide and we will need a pair of towers and a center to go underneath.

He already had a couple cheap and small Klipsh subs they insist on using for the time being, which will be next to worthless. I can pretty much guarantee we will be upgrading those at some point to a pair much more substantial, but I digress. The entire setup will be powered with a Denon X3600.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for the LCR (2 towers and center) that will be able to fill this large open space and sound "good enough" as they are not particular by any means. Because of that, I'm thinking something in the $1500 total or less range will do. Usage will be almost exclusively TV, sports and movies.

Any thoughts on the current deals or otherwise? I was thinking maybe HTD Level 3's, but am completely open to other opinions. I've never dealt with a space this large and open.

As a sidenote the AV place who had this parade home had this tiny screen paired with a Sony 5000 and during the Parade, had the back not shaded at all. What a joke and waste that was.

Chane 5 towers, Emotive T1, Polk is blowing out the Rti towers (they look far better than the previous two), Klipsch RP6000/8000 all would be pretty good and within budget.



That room is screaming for a pair of at least 18" ported subs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,118
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
It is carpeted. There's plastic sheets over the carpet. CG23s are too small and inefficient for that space.
Well, good. Carpeting is a plus. As to speakers, it depends on their needs. How loud can it get with those Klipsch subs anchoring the presentation? Not very. Seems to me they would have to bump their budget a bit to get ref dBs in that room.

In any case, that room is clearly designed for show, not for providing a good show once the lights are down and the movie is playing.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsc79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Minnesota SW Metro Area
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Pretty sure the LCR are top end revels in your pic Salon2/Voice2. Too bad he couldn’t negotiate those into the price of the home.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3/Ascend Sierra 2
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG
jsc79 is online now  
post #10 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
To all the comments about the room, I have already discussed this and made recommendations and they have no interest in changing the room. It is carpeted, but the paint will not be changing and there will be no room treatments. That tells you how much they know/care. I'm still trying to talk them into at least getting a decent soundbar for great room TV, which has garbage speakers, in a room with 18 ft ceilings.

I also suggested a pair of 15" driver minimum subs, ideally bigger (Rythmiks, HSUs, PSAs etc) but they want to "try" the one they have. I expect it to be more of an I told you so situation in a few months and then we'll be able to upgrade. The subs they have now may as well be a couple of cardboard boxes sitting there.

Also a parade home is done around Madison every year. A few select neighborhoods have a handful of houses built by different builders to show off various things and they certainly trend more towards show than function. This is open to the public for 2 weeks each June. Then the houses are sold over the next several months.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I'll do some more pricing and research and narrow it down.
tcramer is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,015
Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7306 Post(s)
Liked: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Also a parade home is done around Madison every year. A few select neighborhoods have a handful of houses built by different builders to show off various things and they certainly trend more towards show than function. This is open to the public for 2 weeks each June. Then the houses are sold over the next several months.
Oh, in that case the Polk LSi currently on sale would be a great combination of good looks AND very good performance...I would strongly urge them to buy them ASAP before they sell out!

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Here's a current price list, including shipping based on the best deals I can find. Unless you guys know of some deals I don't. How do the RTiA and LSiM compare? I would love to do the buy and compare tests, but I know they won't be up for that and we're wanting to get this setup within the next or 2. Seems like all good options below, what would you guys pick from experience?

- HTD Level 3, two towers and center ($1,128)
- Ascent CMT-340s and stands ($1,012)
- Emotiva C1 and T1s ($853)
- Polk RTiA7s and CSiA6 ($839)
- Polk LSiM 505s and LSiM706c or LSiM704c ($1125 or $1350)


Btw, Zorba it's good to see you back! I know you were away from the forum for a while and I've always valued your feedback.
Zorba922 likes this.
tcramer is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 3,112
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Even the lowest end revel in ceilings are pretty high caliber, fyi.

Make sure you leave those in.
bear123 likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Russdawg1 is online now  
post #14 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 335
In a room that size you want the biggest speakers possible imo. I would aim for something that has at least some 8" drivers if you want any dynamics or a good 3 way speaker with min. dual 6 1/2" bass drivers. The 100-500hz range is still incredibly demanding on a speaker and often gets overlooked
bear123 likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Even the lowest end revel in ceilings are pretty high caliber, fyi.

Make sure you leave those in.
Yes for sure. We are not changing any of the 4 Atmos speakers nor the 2 in-walls. Only adding the front stage.
tcramer is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,787
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3219 Post(s)
Liked: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Yes for sure. We are not changing any of the 4 Atmos speakers nor the 2 in-walls. Only adding the front stage.
HTD would be a real nice choice for that room

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #17 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Here's a current price list, including shipping based on the best deals I can find. Unless you guys know of some deals I don't. How do the RTiA and LSiM compare? I would love to do the buy and compare tests, but I know they won't be up for that and we're wanting to get this setup within the next or 2. Seems like all good options below, what would you guys pick from experience?

- HTD Level 3, two towers and center ($1,128)
- Ascent CMT-340s and stands ($1,012)
- Emotiva C1 and T1s ($853)
- Polk RTiA7s and CSiA6 ($839)
- Polk LSiM 505s and LSiM706c or LSiM704c ($1125 or $1350)


Btw, Zorba it's good to see you back! I know you were away from the forum for a while and I've always valued your feedback.
Just noticed the Emotiva series are only 4 Ohms and not the most efficient. Seems that may not be best fit? Any concern powering those without a separate amp?
tcramer is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Senior Member
 
MJ DOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: COOK COUNTY, IL
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I would upgrade the screen first. Put biggest scope screen possible. Use 3 center speakers for LCR, aim up and toe in. And get two 15s.

Or go with a AT setup.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
MJ DOOM is online now  
post #19 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,197
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
LSiM over Emotiva. Better mid-range linearity, detail, and composure.

Haven't heard HTD but would love to. I would strongly consider them due to their much wider dispersion pattern. They will be great in a large room.
yanks1 likes this.
Soulburner is online now  
post #20 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
I would upgrade the screen first. Put biggest scope screen possible. Use 3 center speakers for LCR, aim up and toe in. And get two 15s.

Or go with a AT setup.
Yep already done. That screen from the picture was not included. We are going with a 165" diagonal Stewart Cima Neve. I posed AT as an option but it was denied. I would say they watch 75% sports and regular TV so we are going with a 16:9 screen as opposed to scope.
tcramer is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
LSiM over Emotiva. Better mid-range linearity, detail, and composure.

Haven't heard HTD but would love to. I would strongly consider them due to their much wider dispersion pattern. They will be great in a large room.
I'm kind of feeling the same way about HTD - really curious to try them out. If there are no other strong opinions from anyone I think I'll lean that way.
tcramer is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,197
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I'm kind of feeling the same way about HTD - really curious to try them out. If there are no other strong opinions from anyone I think I'll lean that way.
Okay - I am now on the PC and checked out your image. I don't think ultra-wide dispersion is needed in that room - you have walls on either side. When you described it as "large and open" I got a much different picture in my mind.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #23 of 31 Old 11-10-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I'm wondering if I should throw the Klipsch R-820-Fs into the mix for their current sale price of $250. Combined with an R-34C center that would be $900 total, or even less if I get the towers now then wait for the center to go on sale.
tcramer is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,084
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
LSiM over Emotiva. Better mid-range linearity, detail, and composure.

Haven't heard HTD but would love to. I would strongly consider them due to their much wider dispersion pattern. They will be great in a large room.

old emotiva or the newly revamped T1+ & T2+ that addressed the midrange ?

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
macgallant is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 11-10-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 5,197
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1777
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
old emotiva or the newly revamped T1+ & T2+ that addressed the midrange ?
What do you mean by "addressed"? Have any differences been measured or directly compared?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #26 of 31 Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,787
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3219 Post(s)
Liked: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I'm wondering if I should throw the Klipsch R-820-Fs into the mix for their current sale price of $250. Combined with an R-34C center that would be $900 total, or even less if I get the towers now then wait for the center to go on sale.
Up to you, but the dispersion of the HTD is really nice

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #27 of 31 Old 11-10-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,118
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Up to you, but the dispersion of the HTD is really nice
With that wide screen, and the speakers shoved into the corners as a result, wide dispersion probably not that great of a characteristic in their next speaker set, especially given that wall treatments are verboten.

At this point, I'm thinking the best solution is three LCR-type speakers vertically aligned below the screen, away from the side-walls, toed-in and angled upwards just slightly.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-10-2019 at 01:26 PM.
RayGuy is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 11-10-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,687
Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9261 Post(s)
Liked: 6368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Any thoughts on the current deals or otherwise? I was thinking maybe HTD Level 3's, but am completely open to other opinions. I've never dealt with a space this large and open.

As a sidenote the AV place who had this parade home had this tiny screen paired with a Sony 5000 and during the Parade, had the back not shaded at all. What a joke and waste that was.
An excellent budget choice as they are discontinued would be three Klipsch RP250c which were marketed as a center design but are, in actuality, an LCR as the tweeter has identical vertical and horizontal dispersion.

This is a first class retailer; I bought my LX16s from them.

$837 gets you six 6.5" relatively high efficiency main drivers.

Free shipping, no tax.

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-...hoCwLcQAvD_BwE

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 11-12-2019, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Well after all this I've gone ahead and ordered the HTD Level 3 towers and center. Not going to lie, a big reason of that is I'm very curious to hear them. Plus we get the 30 day guarantee to return if for some reason we don't care for them or if some amazing deal pops up around Black Friday time on something superior (which I doubt).

I was set to go with the Adorama Polk LSiM deal but they wanted black, so that eliminated those.

Thanks everyone for the input. Once I get them setup I'll report back with impressions. Hopefully that impression will help push them to get a couple 18" subs too
Zorba922 and Soulburner like this.
tcramer is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,787
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3219 Post(s)
Liked: 3118
Enjoy the adventure

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off