Powered Sub in Def Tech Speakers stopped working. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Alexander
  • 1 Post By Dwalker112

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Powered Sub in Def Tech Speakers stopped working.

Has anyone had an issue of the powered subs in an expensive pair of BP8060 ST Def Tech speakers go out after just about 5 years? It makes no sense, because all of a sudden the sub in one was not appearing to work, while the other was, then later on a movie, both were working. Then later both were not working. Playing YouTube videos that use to break out great bass from the subs no longer works. I switched receivers to make sure it wasn't the electronics in the receiver, and it wasn't. Too coincidental that both would just go out roughly at the same time, and especially after only about 5 years. Thoughts? I think they were about $750 each at the time from Best Buy. They have been incredible for 5 years, but now I can't stand to listen to movies or music on them. Thanks much for input!
Dwalker112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Alexander View Post
Has anyone had an issue of the powered subs in an expensive pair of BP8060 ST Def Tech speakers go out after just about 5 years? It makes no sense, because all of a sudden the sub in one was not appearing to work, while the other was, then later on a movie, both were working. Then later both were not working. Playing YouTube videos that use to break out great bass from the subs no longer works. I switched receivers to make sure it wasn't the electronics in the receiver, and it wasn't. Too coincidental that both would just go out roughly at the same time, and especially after only about 5 years. Thoughts? I think they were about $750 each at the time from Best Buy. They have been incredible for 5 years, but now I can't stand to listen to movies or music on them. Thanks much for input!

I have the BP8020s and I had the BP7006’s. It might be a blown fuse, so I’d check that first. However, Def Tech has spectacular customer service and they have given me replacement parts with no charge on many occasions. That’s the reason why all my speakers are Def tech lol. But I’d say give them a call or email them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RayGuy likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Alexander View Post
Happens frequently. No ventilation for the amp inside the speakers causing capacitors to fail. They're customer service is good although when I called a few weeks ago regarding a failed amp in a Mythos STS the rep told me Chet did not work for them anymore. He was the best.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Amps for the much older BP series are $60-70. I would assume the newer ones would be in the same ballpark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page