New theater advice... Ideas on 7.1.2 vs 5.1.4 systems - it's all confusing the deeper - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2019, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New theater advice... Ideas on 7.1.2vs5.1.4 systems - more confusing the more I look!

Good evening all, hope you are having a good night. Have an opportunity to build a dedicated home theater in one of our bonus rooms. It's not huge, but at least it will be dedicated with a media closet. It's something I have always wanted and can finally do. Here is the design.

Layout - Sorry for the MSPaint

So I have a lot of options here. I am going to go with an Epson Home Cinema 5050UB with 110" fixed matte white screen from Silver Ticket on the video side, I think based on all my research that gives me the best value for a good price (<$3500 all in on video for 4k support and HDCP 2.2 support, also OK for some non-pro gaming). Where I need help is on the audio side.

I started looking at Focal SIB Evo 5.1.2 Home Cinema System with Yamaha RX-A780 AV 7.2-Channel Receiver as a simple way to get a highly rated system from multiple review sites with a simple deployment. My room isn't that large, so I figured the small bookshelf would be a good fit. As I did more research I started reading about expanding to 7.1.2, 5.1.4, or 7.1.4 to make up for what may be some missing surround feels. Seems in all my reading my room is too small for four Atmos speakers, so 7.1.2 is my sweet spot.... I could add 2 more Focal Evo satellites, but then I need to upgrade to a receiver that supports 9 channels... which it then seems I am getting into money would be better spent elsewhere type money. I have seen some ideas that include ELAC solutions that included a Debut series 5 complete system with A4.2 speakers added for similar money that may perform better - form factor really doesn't matter. Would also need to find a receiver that fits all my video and audio needs without breaking the bank (read 4k passthrough with HDCP 2.2 support and able to handle gaming).

So, I am looking for a 7.1.2 (if it makes sense for my room, if it doesn't and I should go back to 5.1.2 please say so) setup. I have the freedom to run any wires and rebuild the room as I choose - including ceiling speakers. Would love some ideas in the <~$2500-$3000 price range all in - that means speakers and receiver.

Would appreciate all the help - been doing a lot of research but am just getting myself confused and would really love some guidance on what is good in 2019 and forward. This is a once in a lifetime for me so want something somewhat future-proof but also economical. Thanks so much for your time!

OK, I don't have a sig... yet.

Last edited by XYnie; 11-12-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7383 Post(s)
Liked: 6461
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYnie View Post
Seems in all my reading my room is too small for four Atmos speakers, so 7.1.2 is my sweet spot....
That's not determined by room size but instead by seating location. For example: for smoothest frequency response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips) in your room, place the listeners' ears 10' back from the front wall. This gives you a full 5' behind you.

In the base layer, this means 4 surrounds will give you excellent side-vs-rear separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.

In the height layer, this means you can really well separate two pairs of height speakers. One pair of heights will let you hear left-vs-right movement above you. Two pairs of heights will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement overhead. Noticeable difference.

Sanjay
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Your room is a little bigger than mine and I have a full 7.1.4 system, so it’s not too small for four atmos speakers. As for the Focal Sibs, I would not recommend them for your base layer, though they are good for atmos speakers. There are a lot of good budget speakers out there like Chane, Emotiva, even the Polk LSiMs which are on sale all the time at Adorama now that the legend series has been released. As for a receiver, maybe a Denon x3600h or x4400h if you can find a deal, as they can power a 5.1.4 setup without an external amp and have excellent Audyssey room correction.

Last edited by m0j0; 11-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

So still working on this... I think I am going to go 5.1.4 or 5.2.4... even if it means doing it in two phases. I ran across this Black Friday deal:

2 Klipsch RP- 280F
1 RP-450C
2 RP- 250s
2 PL-200 Subwoofers
1 Marantz SR7010 9.2 Channel Receiver
$2999

Its at the top end of my budget... I will prewire the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers and just add them in after a few months. Thoughts?

post #5 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYnie View Post
So still working on this... I think I am going to go 5.1.4 or 5.2.4... even if it means doing it in two phases. I ran across this Black Friday deal:

2 Klipsch RP- 280F
1 RP-450C
2 RP- 250s
2 PL-200 Subwoofers
1 Marantz SR7010 9.2 Channel Receiver
$2999

Its at the top end of my budget... I will prewire the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers and just add them in after a few months. Thoughts?

Seems like a good price. Have you listened to Klipsch before? Do you like their sound? If you aren't sure, I would recommend you try to demo them first before buying. My understanding is most people either love or hate them, so before you drop that kind of money, you want to be sure which side you're on.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you - I am planning to swing by the Magnolia shop to give them a listen, and some other options. Just kind of looking around at work

Appreciate it!

post #7 of 7 Old 11-14-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I concur with Mojo Klipsch speakers are an acquired taste because of their tweeter design, I would definitely give a listen prior to purchase. I would also try to upgrade to the Marantz SR7012 (used), for a few more coins if you can negotiate the upgrade cost. That being said this certainly seems like a reasonable deal. Hope this helps and good luck.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page