AVS Forum banner

Dolby Atmos Setup Help: Reflective vs discrete

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Marcel Traum 
#1 ·
Hey everYbody! I recently picked up the Klipsch R-41SA height speakers to get the full Atmos setup happening. They sit atop my R820F speakers about 6 feet away from my central listening angle. They do add a nice expansion to the sound field (overhead just feels more full especially during gameplay in COD and Gears 5) however I have been thinking about returning them and using my Onkyo THX Surround Speakers (similarly rated 4.5” kevlar woofer and 1” tweeter at 100watts from HTIB years and years ago) as height channels (high front).

I wanted to get some opinions on the difference between the 2 options. My anxiety is that using the standard front height channels up near the ceiling will provide more of a larger front experience versus an overhead experience. Anyone try both or have a preference? I wanted to get some inter before drilling into the walls and installing speaker mounts.

Our room is a large rectangle and we sit about 5’ 8” from the tv/center leaving about 6’ behind us. We rent so sadly Our best option which would be in ceiling speakers is not available. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
With only two channel atmos, you really want overhead sound. Upward firing speakers is a big compromise, since you’re still going to get a lot of direct radiating sound from the speaker itself. Using front height only is also a compromise though. Any way you can temporarily mount the speakers up high with an assistant holding them up by the mount spots and see how they sound? If you can get them up to 40 degrees or so, then it’s probably an improvement. But more ideal would be mounting them to the ceiling.

#3 ·
With only two channel atmos, you really want overhead sound. Upward firing speakers is a big compromise, since you’️re still going to get a lot of direct radiating sound from the speaker itself. Using front height only is also a compromise though. Any way you can temporarily mount the speakers up high with an assistant holding them up by the mount spots and see how they sound? If you can get them up to 40 degrees or so, then it’️s probably an improvement. But more ideal would be mounting them to the ceiling.
Thanks for the input and courteous response, it’s much appreciated. This is basically as I figured. So between the reflective sound and mounting (even the same speakers with the built in angle) up toward the ceiling would you say that “filling out the room” is more plausible with the up-firing since I imagine the sound from proper front height will be perceived as “still coming from in front of you”? I’m validating my own mania and appreciate the input.

#4 ·
Another compromise option is mounting the Atmos speakers near the ceiling on the side walls. The speakers would be angled down to approximately point at the listening position. The attached is from a page for SVS Prime Elevation speakers. I'm doing something similar, but with SVS Prime Satellites on tilting speaker mounts.

Your Klipsch R-41SA speakers could be mounted similarly to the SVS Elevations.

I'm doing it due to a half-cathedral ceiling. It's basically a compromise piled on another compromise, but it's the best I can do short of doing some carpentry to add mounts for Atmos speakers in the more nominal locations. (The fore-and-aft positions are good, but the lateral separations are too much.)

Attachments

#5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the input! Seems like a bit of a Sophie’s Choice in terms of placement and compromise. It might be worth using my older 130 watt surround speakers on clamp mounts in the same fashion and saving the 300$ on the atmos speakers. Good news is it’s a fun problem to have and to try and solve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.