Speaker / Sub Package - Best Bang for the Buck - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 2 Post By zieglj01

post #1 of 17 Old 11-15-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker / Sub Package - Best Bang for the Buck

Hello I am starting the process of building my home theater. I have a 19 x 13 room.

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I've never been able to do it. It looks like the time has finally come.

I've been looking at the HSU research specifically this package: Subwoofer: VTF-15H MK2 Speakers:2 CCB-8-P and 1 CCB-8-S

Obviously, the main use would be to watch movies and TV but I would also like to enjoy my music.

My question is, is this package a good option?

or what would you get for around $3000 shipped?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked: 5674
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmata007 View Post
19 x 13 room.
I've been looking at the HSU research specifically this package: Subwoofer: VTF-15H MK2 Speakers:2 CCB-8-P and 1 CCB-8-S

Obviously, the main use would be to watch movies and TV but I would also like to enjoy my music.

MUSIC usage makes things a lot more complicated; what other speakers have you ever owned or heard that you enjoyed for music listening?

And what genres of music do you listen to the most?

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
MUSIC usage makes things a lot more complicated; what other speakers have you ever owned or heard that you enjoyed for music listening?

And what genres of music do you listen to the most?
I like anything from Frank Sinatra to Pink Floyd, classical music, and some modern indie rock. This might be too broad and it might be easier to tell you what I don't listen to much. Hip Hop and Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked: 5674
Quote:
I like anything from Frank Sinatra to Pink Floyd, classical music, and some modern indie rock. This might be too broad and it might be easier to tell you what I don't listen to much. Hip Hop and Country
I would recommend a neutral speaker, in that case.

The Hsu CCB-8 series is a bit on the "bright" side, so I think that the other Hsu line, the HB-1 and HC-1 series, would be a safer bet. Best thing would be for you to go to Hsu headquarters to hear both, if you live within driving distance of southern CA.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Zorba got it right about music complicating your decision and asking about your prior listening preferences. Besides the genres/types of music you like, can you speak to your volume preference? Do you have a preference for highs, lows or mids or just like a good balanced sound? Do you have a preference for wide dispersion that sounds as similar as possible throughout the room or would you prefer the best possible sound in your prefered seating position? Do you have a preference for Dome, horns, or ribbon tweeters? Do you prefer a 3way for music over a two way? Knowing all that will help. Zorba is one of the most knowledgeable folks here in regards to knowing the characteristics and sound signatures especially of speakers in the price range you've provided. The more specific you can be about speakers you know you like and why, the easier it will be to give you accurate suggestions. Regardless of price, it's always best to narrow it down to a few choices then take the time and make the effort to listen and ultimately narrow it down to a couple of choices you can actually compare in your listening space. That takes time, effort and patience but that's the best known approach to insuring your choice is what YOUR EARS like the best rather than making your choice based on someone else's listening preference. Good Luck.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
That set runs $1900 and is very good.

What could you get for a $3k movie and music focused 3.1? Lots of options. I would start with the sub - 2xRythmik L22 or 1xRythmik FV15HP gets my vote. For the remaining $, for music and movies, one of your best choices is going to be the JBL Studio 580 towers: https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580BK-Z.html

Add the matching center channel and you're golden.

Last edited by Soulburner; 11-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
Do you have a preference for Dome, horns, or ribbon tweeters? Do you prefer a 3way for music over a two way?
This really does not matter. The implementation is everything.

Also, any tweeter can be mounted in a horn or waveguide.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9346 Post(s)
Liked: 6433
Quote:
Hello I am starting the process of building my home theater. I have a 19 x 13 room.

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I've never been able to do it. It looks like the time has finally come.

Thanks!
So 3.1 for under $3000?

I'd not hesitate to buy a HSU sub but I would hesitate on the CCB8s which are a bit odd and have some fans on AVS but some find them a bit bright or, quite frankly, odd looking.

I'd probably get the the 3 way Wharfedale Evo 4.2s and matching 3 way center for $1800 from Crutchfield with $10/box returns within 60 days if I wasn't happy.

I'd add two Rhythmik L12s at $559 each and call it a day.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From what I've read, the CCB's are only bright if you listen to them on-axis - but the recommendation is that they be aimed straight with no toe-in, or with a sharp toe-in, crossing in front of you.

Also, I'm not sure we have reviews or measurements on those Wharfedales. Therefore, we don't know that they would be better than the tested and proven JBL 5-series.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3181
No one can pretend to speak for your ears -- so test the HSU out that you are interested in, and then decide

But I would also put the Revel M16 on your list -- and still look at the HSU subwoofers
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_265M16...oss-Black.html
JonfromCB and Lp85253 like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #11 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9346 Post(s)
Liked: 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
From what I've read, the CCB's are only bright if you listen to them on-axis - but the recommendation is that they be aimed straight with no toe-in, or with a sharp toe-in, crossing in front of you.

Also, I'm not sure we have reviews or measurements on those Wharfedales. Therefore, we don't know that they would be better than the tested and proven JBL 5-series.
They are a bit of gamble IMHO and hardly cheap to return.

There are too many good bookshelf choices at Crutchfield and their return policy and brand selection combination are second to none.

But if the OP lives in SoCal definitely should audition at their facility and then visit Ascend.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 17 Old 11-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 110
CCB8 owner here. I had them in a dedicated room at one point. Then I Moved. Was in transition in a smaller space for a bit and was using my old Kef Q series. Recently Got into my new place and I’m back on the CCB8 and boy did I miss them!. They’re great for both movies and music. Placement is not difficult, just a bit of toe in required. They throw up a big soundstage and excel at dynamics and detail. Exceptional dialogue clarity as a center for movies.

Epson 5040 UB ; 120 inch Elite Cinewhite 1.1 gain 16:9
XBOX One S ; Denon X3300W
(4) KEF Q100 ; Q200C ; (2) SVS Prime Elevation ; HSU VTF3 MK3 (5.1.2)
post #13 of 17 Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
This really does not matter. The implementation is everything.

Also, any tweeter can be mounted in a horn or waveguide.
You're misinterpreting my point. Soft domes, metal domes, inverted domes, horned compression drivers, flat ribbon, folded ribbons , AMT tweeters, and I'll even include full range drivers and coaxial implemented tweeters, array's and there are still others not mentioned. All have different physical and sonic characteristics regardless of how well they are implemented. Some less experienced folks may not know the differences, or even realize they all exist, but likewise over time and listening experience most audiophiles develop preferences between them for a myriad of reasons I won't get into here. I'll just reiterate that it's important to learn/know preferences and differences when trying to narrow down any choice one wants to be happy with for a specific use at a given price point which is usually the most restrictive variable of "implementation".

Last edited by JonfromCB; 11-17-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
You're misinterpreting my point. Soft domes, metal domes, inverted domes, horned compression drivers, flat ribbon, folded ribbons , AMT tweeters, and I'll even include full range drivers, all have different physical and sonic characteristics regardless of how well they are implemented. Some less experienced folks may not know the differences, or even realize they all exist, but likewise over time and listening experience most audiophiles develop preferences between them for a myriad of reasons I won't get into here. I'll just reiterate that it's important to learn/know preferences and differences when trying to narrow down any choice one wants to be happy with.
I read your point loud and clear. The fact is that we need not focus on the driver material or type - only the performance of the whole speaker.

There are well-implemented domes on the market that sound better than ribbon speakers, for example (Revel, Salk, others). It is all about how the designer puts the speaker together as a whole.

Therefore, I would not base purchase decisions on driver type. For example, I have seen people put together shopping lists of AMT-based speakers. That is a folly, and will eliminate many other great choices.

I would also not base purchase decisions on the number of drivers. I used to do this, thinking 3-ways were always going to be better. Turns out, it can cause problems, too. Even some well-regarded designs suffer from this (KEF).

I would look at measurements, reviews, price, and aesthetics (for some) when considering speakers. Trying to get into the shoes of the speaker designer is over-thinking the decision.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #15 of 17 Old 11-18-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With a hefty amp, for fun, I would drop the cc and get Magnepan .7 and 2 dwm’s.
Ok...you won’t get the dynamic slam in movies but....wow.....the music!!!
post #16 of 17 Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
the CCB8's have a very particular placement recommendation and if you have the space to accommodate them they should be a fine choice. they are very good for off axis listening and the center does not have the lobing issues that MTM centers often have.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-26-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
After running a 5.1 system with four Hsu HB-1 MK2s (and a HC-1 MK2 for center channel) for over a decade, I upgraded to three CCB-8s (L/C/R) a year ago, relegating two of the HB-1 MK2s to L & R rear. Per Hsu’s recommendation, I have a Hsu subwoofer for bass.

I find the CCB-8s are better. I’m about 60/40% film/music (classical, jazz, opera) and the CCB-8s offer significantly better imaging and, IMO, a more lifelike sound: instruments are more clearly set in my listening room at different depths. For example, drums might be more clearly on the back wall, with strings a bit closer, woodwinds closer still. Better layering.

Note that Hsu did, indeed, design the CCB-8s to be away from the rear wall (behind the speakers) and toed in significantly. If they’re set up like other speakers - i.e. not toed in or not toed in much - highs will be overemphasized. Used as directed, they’re fabulous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page