Speaker upgrade for 5.1 system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Speaker upgrade for 5.1 system?

Hi all,

currently I own following speakers in 5.1 setup powered by Yamaha RX-V596

Jamo E6cen 80w
Jamo E660 100W
Jamo E600 80w
SVS PB2000

My room is 4m (W) x 10m (L) but my surround speakers are at 5m, so I assume I need to cover only 20m2. Current setup is not bad, I am watching movies mostly at 1/4 of the Yamaha power so I would say power wise receiver and speakers are fine. Speakers are setup so that all low freq are reproduced by sub only (small speakers in receiver options). So, all sounds good but I think it should sound clearer, unfortunately I don't have a shop where I can go and hear speakers so I am left to read reviews and read forums. Speakers are 10y old and I don't need anything more powerful than 100-120W so I am wondering if I get something in that power range (passive speakers) would I get what I am looking for? I looked at B&W E606, HTM6 and MT1 combo. It's not cheap upgrade but would I get what I am looking for? Other speaker recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2672 Post(s)
Liked: 1903
Your (approximate) location?

Many of the posters here are from the US, and may have trouble recommending speakers elsewhere.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9774 Post(s)
Liked: 6786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
Hi all,

currently I own following speakers in 5.1 setup powered by Yamaha RX-V596

Jamo E6cen 80w
Jamo E660 100W
Jamo E600 80w
SVS PB2000

My room is 4m (W) x 10m (L) but my surround speakers are at 5m, so I assume I need to cover only 20m2. Current setup is not bad, I am watching movies mostly at 1/4 of the Yamaha power so I would say power wise receiver and speakers are fine. Speakers are setup so that all low freq are reproduced by sub only (small speakers in receiver options). So, all sounds good but I think it should sound clearer, unfortunately I don't have a shop where I can go and hear speakers so I am left to read reviews and read forums. Speakers are 10y old and I don't need anything more powerful than 100-120W so I am wondering if I get something in that power range (passive speakers) would I get what I am looking for? I looked at B&W E606, HTM6 and MT1 combo. It's not cheap upgrade but would I get what I am looking for? Other speaker recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks!
Sounds like you might be in Europe.

There are many fine European speaker companies and now some, like Q Acoustics and Dali, that offer excellent price/value and have sound comparable to more expensive B&W if not better at a given price point.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Your (approximate) location?

Many of the posters here are from the US, and may have trouble recommending speakers elsewhere.
europe, croatia
post #5 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Sounds like you might be in Europe.

There are many fine European speaker companies and now some, like Q Acoustics and Dali, that offer excellent price/value and have sound comparable to more expensive B&W if not better at a given price point.
I've seen qacustics available, though not sure how good they are. Polk and Wharfdale too
post #6 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I've seen qacustics available, though not sure how good they are. Polk and Wharfdale too
Q Acoustics makes excellent price value products.

I tested their $420/pair Concept 20s agains some Martin Logan LX16s which at the time were listed at $800/pair, (I paid less), and some older B&W CM1 Concept 90s that I paid about $1500/pair 30 or so years ago and the Q Acoustics were every bit as good.

Polk and Wharfedale make nice speakers as well.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 275 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8289 Post(s)
Liked: 6321
Quote:
Jamo E6cen 80w
Jamo E660 100W
Jamo E600 80w
SVS PB2000

My room is 4m (W) x 10m (L) but my surround speakers are at 5m, so I assume I need to cover only 20m2. Current setup is not bad, I am watching movies mostly at 1/4 of the Yamaha power so I would say power wise receiver and speakers are fine. Speakers are setup so that all low freq are reproduced by sub only (small speakers in receiver options). So, all sounds good but I think it should sound clearer
WHAT exactly doesn't sound "clear" enough?

If it's only the VOICES (DIALOGUE) then you have a very simple and inexpensive fix: just replace the center channel. It does NOT have to be a center speaker from Jamo.

But first, you need to PINPOINT the problem.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
WHAT exactly doesn't sound "clear" enough?

If it's only the VOICES (DIALOGUE) then you have a very simple and inexpensive fix: just replace the center channel. It does NOT have to be a center speaker from Jamo.

But first, you need to PINPOINT the problem.
Well my general impression is that I am missing details in movie reproduction (or I am def). I watched tonight "A quiet place" movie, everyone is impressed how detailed and rich sound is; for me, nothing special. I think the biggest problem is that I haven't heard any other system that "should" be better than mine so I don't know if I can achieve better with current room configuration if I change equipment or not. Obviously I am looking at spending $3k and I would rather not throw away the money if I won't be wowed.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Well my general impression is that I am missing details in movie reproduction (or I am def). I watched tonight "A quiet place" movie, everyone is impressed how detailed and rich sound is; for me, nothing special. I think the biggest problem is that I haven't heard any other system that "should" be better than mine so I don't know if I can achieve better with current room configuration if I change equipment or not. Obviously I am looking at spending $3k and I would rather not throw away the money if I won't be wowed.
Well, it sounds like you simply have the "itch" to upgrade, rather than having any specific problem with your speakers then.

No harm going around and listening at different shops of course...just keep in mind that how a speaker sounds in a SHOP, on THEIR electronics and with THEIR room acoustics, might be quite different from how it sounds to you at home. So what I'd do is try to see if any of the shops will let you take home a demo pair for a weekend, usually they ask you to leave your credit card or some other form of collateral.

I lived in central Europe for much of my 20s, loved it, and about the main thing about the US that I missed (aside from family/friends) was the sheer consumer convenience, i.e. the great return policies we have here!

PS. I agree with Geoff, Q Acoustics is definitely worth checking out, along with Wharfedale.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked: 4854
I agree in person demos is a dubious method at best for selecting speakers. I'd try to find speakers that meet your aesthetic, size, price, extension, and SPL requirements that have good objective measurements available. The right measurements will give you a better idea of whether the speakers will sound good than a demo at some store....assuming you even have access to the speaker you are interested in. There are enough speakers that have objective data available that there is really no reason to consider buying speakers blind(without measurements).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...nce-shows.html

You might not be able to find measurements on every speaker, but you can usually find a couple for each brand....this will give you an idea at least if the company makes well designed speakers or not. If the on and off axis response looks like a roller coaster, its not going to be a good sounding speaker. So stick to brands/models that measure well.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-16-2019, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked: 3276
Quote:
I looked at B&W E606, HTM6 and MT1 combo. It's not cheap upgrade but would I get what I am looking for? Other speaker recommendations are also welcome. Thanks!
Canton Chrono, PSB Imagine, Wharfedale Reva or Evo, PSB Imagine, Focal Chorus, Q Acoustics

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I think I have a setup:

Q Acoustics Q 3050i front
Q Acoustics 3090Ci central
Bowers & Wilkins 607 back surround

Denon AVR-X3600H

Today I did a test run with my old setup with War of the worlds and If I turn up my volume significantly I am really thrilled about the sound detail but it's to damn loud. So why am I not hearing all the details at lower volume where sound of the dialog is just right?
post #13 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I think I have a setup:

Q Acoustics Q 3050i front
Q Acoustics 3090Ci central
Bowers & Wilkins 607 back surround

Denon AVR-X3600H

Today I did a test run with my old setup with War of the worlds and If I turn up my volume significantly I am really thrilled about the sound detail but it's to damn loud. So why am I not hearing all the details at lower volume where sound of the dialog is just right?
It could be all in your receiver setup.

What receiver are you using?

I had two Denon based systems that sounded awful.

Audyssey EQ had set the tower based front three to Audyssey Bypass, speakers to LARGE, 40hz crossover with Dynamic EQ On.

Going into the menu and making the following simple fast changes produced a dramatic improvement in clarity and punch: Audyssey Reference, speakers to SMALL, 80hz crossover and Dynamic EQ off.

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It could be all in your receiver setup.

What receiver are you using?

I had two Denon based systems that sounded awful.

Audyssey EQ had set the tower based front three to Audyssey Bypass, speakers to LARGE, 40hz crossover with Dynamic EQ On.

Going into the menu and making the following simple fast changes produced a dramatic improvement in clarity and punch: Audyssey Reference, speakers to SMALL, 80hz crossover and Dynamic EQ off.
I have Yamaha RX-V596, speakers are set to small, bass output only on SUB and that's it. I don't have any more options to set
post #15 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I have Yamaha RX-V596, speakers are set to small, bass output only on SUB and that's it. I don't have any more options to set
You also have three choices for dynamic range so choose the one that sounds best to you:

MAX In this position, a source encoded with Dolby Digital is reproduced in the original sound track's wide dynamic range to provide you with powerful sounds just like those in a movie theater.

Selecting this position will be even better if you can listen to a source at a high output level in a room specially soundproofed for audio/video enjoyment.

STD (Standard)In this position, a source encoded with Dolby Digital is reproduced in the "compressed" dynamic range of the source that is suitable for low-level listening.

MIN In this position, the dynamic range is more reduced than in the STD position. Selecting this position will be effective when you must listen to a source at a low level.

Geoff A. J., California
post #16 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Certainly try all the receiver tweaks suggested above, but my guess is, the 3090 is the glaring weak link in QA lineup...a few years ago I home auditioned most of the QA speakers and that was definitely the case in my setup.

The Concept center is supposedly better, I suppose you could try that one if your dealer will let you return the 3090.

Personally, I always tell people who are buying (the excellent) QA speakers for their front L/R to buy a whole different center speaker from a different brand. Center speakers and subwoofers are where QA continues to choose small-and-pretty over bigger-with-decent-performance.

post #17 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Certainly try all the receiver tweaks suggested above, but my guess is, the 3090 is the glaring weak link in QA lineup...a few years ago I home auditioned most of the QA speakers and that was definitely the case in my setup.

The Concept center is supposedly better, I suppose you could try that one if your dealer will let you return the 3090.

Personally, I always tell people who are buying (the excellent) QA speakers for their front L/R to buy a whole different center speaker from a different brand. Center speakers and subwoofers are where QA continues to choose small-and-pretty over bigger-with-decent-performance.
He hasn't bought the QA setup yet, these were his issues with his current setup.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 20 Old 11-18-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
He hasn't bought the QA setup yet, these were his issues with his current setup.
ah, I see...did seem a bit fast! :P
gajCA likes this.

post #19 of 20 Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You also have three choices for dynamic range so choose the one that sounds best to you:

MAX In this position, a source encoded with Dolby Digital is reproduced in the original sound track's wide dynamic range to provide you with powerful sounds just like those in a movie theater.

Selecting this position will be even better if you can listen to a source at a high output level in a room specially soundproofed for audio/video enjoyment.

STD (Standard)In this position, a source encoded with Dolby Digital is reproduced in the "compressed" dynamic range of the source that is suitable for low-level listening.

MIN In this position, the dynamic range is more reduced than in the STD position. Selecting this position will be effective when you must listen to a source at a low level.
Thanks, I did the tests but at medium loudness I'can't really hear the difference at all, on loud I can hear the transition between max/std but I can't really hear the difference in the sound.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I did the tests but at medium loudness I'can't really hear the difference at all, on loud I can hear the transition between max/std but I can't really hear the difference in the sound.
Very good.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page