Equivalent to Polk RT800 and CS400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-16-2019, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Equivalent to Polk RT800 and CS400

I have an old setup form 1997 that I am looking to simplify without sacrificing too much quality.

Current Setup
2 Polk RT800 floor standing speakers
1 Polk CS400 Center
1 Velodyne CT100 Sub
2 Polk RT fx surround
1 Denon AVR-3808 CI Receiver

All of this equipment has been off for about 2 years when we remodeled the living room. For the past year or so I have been using a single Sonos Beam connected to a 4k TCL TV.

I got rid of the Cable box when we cancelled cable TV, got rid of the DVD and blue-ray, so the only device we use right now is the built in Roku TV and sometimes the Apple TV. All of our TV and movies are streamed from Netflix, YouTube TV, Apple TV or Plex. And since the Sonos Beam did not need a receiver and the sound on the beam has been surprisingly good enough that I am debating on dumping all of this equipment on ebay and just enhancing the sound with either a Sonos Sub or upgrading the Beam and avoiding the whole receiver plus massive speakers and wires route.

I guess my main question is where do speakers this old compare these days?
I like minimal but still want some decent quality.

It has been so many years since I looked into audio setups, looking for some advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7453 Post(s)
Liked: 5684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlevens View Post
I have an old setup form 1997 that I am looking to simplify without sacrificing too much quality.

Current Setup
1 Polk CS400 Center
1 Velodyne CT100 Sub
2 Polk RT fx surround

Assuming that your main usage is watching movies/TV, I would simply replace the center speaker and the subwoofer for the most dramatic improvement, leaving everything else as it is. If you seldom watch big budget action/thriller movies you might be fine with the current sub too.

If you do choose to replace the sub, you first need to figure out the total cubic feet of not just your actual listening area, but the whole CONTIGUOUS space.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9369 Post(s)
Liked: 6451
Quote:

Current Setup
1 Polk CS400 Center
1 Velodyne CT100 Sub
2 Polk RT fx surround

All of this equipment has been off for about 2 years when we remodeled the living room. For the past year or so I have been using a single Sonos Beam connected to a 4k TCL TV.

I got rid of the Cable box when we cancelled cable TV, got rid of the DVD and blue-ray, so the only device we use right now is the built in Roku TV and sometimes the Apple TV. All of our TV and movies are streamed from Netflix, YouTube TV, Apple TV or Plex. And since the Sonos Beam did not need a receiver and the sound on the beam has been surprisingly good enough that I am debating on dumping all of this equipment on ebay and just enhancing the sound with either a Sonos Sub or upgrading the Beam and avoiding the whole receiver plus massive speakers and wires route.

It has been so many years since I looked into audio setups, looking for some advice
Well, the Polks got good reviews back in 1997 but by today's standards your ported 100watt 10" 28hz subwoofer can be "bettered" but it will take $500 to get down to 20hz and notice a significant impact.

If you wanted to replace the sub and the front left right to smaller bookshelves the latter wouldn't cost that much as you can get RTiA3 Polk Bookshelves now that they are discounted for just $240/pair at Crutchfield vs. the msrp of $400.

You should get more than that by selling the towers and sub.

In the end you could have a less massive looking system with an excellent sub like one of the ones below, (albeit assuming the size isn't off putting), for under $500 total after you sell some of what you have.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $500 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE:
*THE LARGER PORTED SUBS DELIVER AT LEAST 40% MORE SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL
THAN THE SAME BRAND'S SEALED VERSION WITH SAME SIZE WOOFER AND AMP
*IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS
*IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE
*FOR MUSIC A 30HZ SUB IS A FINE CHOICE
*BEFORE BUYING MAKE A CARDBOARD CUTOUT OF THE SIZE OF THE SUB TO MAKE SURE IT IS NOT TOO LARGE FOR YOU
Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

Warranty
for AMP

5 years 300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

5 years 500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

SEALED SUBWOOFERS $539 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

5 years 300watts =13w14h16d= 27 lbs 12" [23hz] $499 SVS SB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision)

5 years 500watts =13w16h17d= 50 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH MTS10 THX

3 years 300watts =14w14h16d= 58 lbs* 12" [18hz] $539 RHYTHMIK L12

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice, Is there an option to get rid of the receiver? I guess the Sonos Beam made an impact, super small, great sound, only a single wire and no receiver needed. Is the Sonos Sub not worth considering?
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Is there an option to get rid of the receiver? I guess the Sonos Beam made an impact, super small, great sound, only a single wire and no receiver needed. Is the Sonos Sub not worth considering?
No, you would need the receiver.

If you like the Sonos by all means buy their sub.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7453 Post(s)
Liked: 5684
Quote:
Is the Sonos Sub not worth considering?
Only if you're willing to sacrifice real bass for compact pretty looks and ease of use. The fact that Sonos owners rave about the $700 Sonos sub is more a testament to how little mid-bass their Sonos speakers put out, than the actual quality of the sub. It's all about frame of reference: someone coming from a tricycle will be very impressed with a moped that's priced like a motorcycle.

A telling sign is that zero specs are available for it other than on the Sonos website which claims that it "plays down to 25Hz"---sure, maybe a 20-30Hz roll off point? Real 3db rolloff is probably closer to 40Hz or 50Hz, with a pair of dinky 6" woofers.

You'd get the same (most likely far better) performance from an RSL Speedwoofer 10S for $450 with wireless module.

For $600 you can get a Hsu VTF-2 sub that would eat it for lunch and not even burp. Although that's a much bigger monster and it doesn't have a wireless module unlike the RSL, but all you have to do is hide it in a corner disguised as a lamp or plant stand, spend 10 minutes setting it up, and enjoy real visceral bass from then on.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Only if you're willing to sacrifice real bass for compact pretty looks and ease of use. The fact that Sonos owners rave about the $700 Sonos sub is more a testament to how little mid-bass their Sonos speakers put out, than the actual quality of the sub. It's all about frame of reference: someone coming from a tricycle will be very impressed with a moped that's priced like a motorcycle.

A telling sign is that zero specs are available for it other than on the Sonos website which claims that it "plays down to 25Hz"---sure, maybe a 20-30Hz roll off point? Real 3db rolloff is probably closer to 40Hz or 50Hz, with a pair of dinky 6" woofers.

You'd get the same (most likely far better) performance from an RSL Speedwoofer 10S for $450 with wireless module.

For $600 you can get a Hsu VTF-2 sub that would eat it for lunch and not even burp. Although that's a much bigger monster and it doesn't have a wireless module unlike the RSL, but all you have to do is hide it in a corner disguised as a lamp or plant stand, spend 10 minutes setting it up, and enjoy real visceral bass from then on.
R112SW Klipsch 300 watt 12" sub is just $399 at the moment on Crutchfield and all AVS reports are that the amp issue of prior year Klipsch RSW subs are behind them and that their warranty response was first rate during that period.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
polk , Sonos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page