need help upgrading my speaker system - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 4
need help upgrading my speaker system

Hi everyone! im looking to upgrade my speakers and am looking for some advice on what to choose.

my current equipment is as follows:

TV:55UH61 ( ordered a LG C9 55 inch that should be here within a week)

Blu-ray player: samsung UBD-K8500 (ordered a Panasonic - DP-UB820 should be here within a week)

Gaming console: custom gaming pc and PS4

Receiver: onkyo NR 656

Speakers:Polk audio T15's for bookshelf speakers and Polk audio RM6750 for center channel 2 rear ss and 2 downfireing for ATMOS

so here is my situation ever since i got the polk T15's i've noticed the audio doesn't have as good highs and does not match well with my other satellite speakers. and the next issue is ATM im still living at home and have the setup in my room ill attach pictures the space is about 6 feet by 9 feet and i watch my tv from my bed the other issue my ceiling has a sloped ceiling for part of it.

whats the best i can do in the situation i am in not looking to spend a stupid amount but will shell out a good amount(1k) for quality speakers that sound great and will match my new tv and 4k player well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3294 Post(s)
Liked: 3190
Here you go -- a real nice system that will chase the Polk T series out the door -- you can sell the small towers and plus with the money saved, buy a nice subwoofer.

And/or with what you do not use, just take them to your new place in the future

DCM speaker system
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-0-Home-Th...i:174037497876
bear123 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #3 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=zieglj01;58832088]Here you go -- a real nice system that will chase the Polk T series out the door -- you can sell the small towers and plus with the money saved, buy a nice subwoofer.

And/or with what you do not use, just take them to your new place in the future

DCM speaker system

way to big i tried to post a imgur link but couldn't im very confined with space
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Dugal View Post

way to big i tried to post a imgur link but couldn't im very confined with space
OK -- about 1/2 inch taller than the Polk T15 -- and will also chase the Polk out of the room -- Ascend HTM200 ... by a pair and you also have an option to buy 1 each for use as a center
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=zieglj01;58832122]OK -- about 1/2 inch taller than the Polk T15 -- and will also chase the Polk out of the room -- Ascend HTM200 ... by a pair and you also have an option to buy 1 each for use as a center

would they match well with the polk audio theater in a box speakers that's the thing i want them all to match very well i with i can post a link but i think i need 2 more points i was looking at the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack but its a 5.1 system and i would need 2 more speakers..... i wish they would sell a 5.1 pack with a option to buy individual speakers too for people have more than a 5.1 setup especially with atmos now being more popular.
post #6 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
would they match well with the polk audio theater in a box speakers that's the thing i want them all to match very well i with i can post a link but i think i need 2 more points i was looking at the Klipsch Reference Theater Pack but its a 5.1 system and i would need 2 more speakers..... i wish they would sell a 5.1 pack with a option to buy individual speakers too for people have more than a 5.1 setup especially with atmos now being more popular.
They are clearly in another league over the Polk speakers

Since you say your room is small and you want some good highs -- then the Focal Sib
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...m-black/1.html

Or buy 7 SuperZeros's and get a decent subwoofer
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...69203106&psc=1

----------------
Who AM I
post #7 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
They are clearly in another league over the Polk speakers

Since you say your room is small and you want some good highs -- then the Focal Sib
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...m-black/1.html

Or buy 7 SuperZeros's and get a decent subwoofer
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...69203106&psc=1
ok ill look into them also i can posta link now so here the imgur https://imgur.com/a/Y7Kfuq9
post #8 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
ok ill look into them also i can posta link now so here the imgur https://imgur.com/a/Y7Kfuq9
I would aim for 3 of the Ascend HTM200 for your front 3 speakers, that should be an ear awaken event for you ... keep the Polks in the back, unless you want to try the NHT SuperZero for the rest of your system, then sell the Polks

----------------
Who AM I
post #9 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would aim for 3 of the Ascend HTM200 for your front 3 speakers, that should be an ear awaken event for you ... keep the Polks in the back, unless you want to try the NHT SuperZero for the rest of your system, then sell the Polks
so im assuming fronts are better due to obvious reasons they are the most heard but why are SS speakers seemingly not as important? TLDR version is fine or link a good read i would appreciate it
post #10 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7474 Post(s)
Liked: 5697
Quote:
so im assuming fronts are better due to obvious reasons they are the most heard but why are SS speakers seemingly not as important? TLDR version is fine or link a good read i would appreciate it
Surrounds only do a lousy 5-10% of the output. The center does 70-80% ... although in your case, with the fronts being so close together you don't really need a center to be honest.

You'd be fine with 2 of those Ascends in front, and then get 4 of the NHT SuperZeros, using 2 for surrounds and 2 for downfiring Atmos.

Just get an RSL Speedwoofer 10S for the sub and you'll be all set, plus under budget.

The Polk T15 is horrendous, I don't blame for wanting to toss them.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Surrounds are important for the role that they play, and are beneficial for heavy action movies -- but the key is the front 3 speakers and a nice/decent sub
Azekecse likes this.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 11-16-2019 at 10:49 PM.
post #12 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Surrounds only do a lousy 5-10% of the output. The center does 70-80% ... although in your case, with the fronts being so close together you don't really need a center to be honest.

You'd be fine with 2 of those Ascends in front, and then get 4 of the NHT SuperZeros, using 2 for surrounds and 2 for downfiring Atmos.

Just get an RSL Speedwoofer 10S for the sub and you'll be all set, plus under budget.

The Polk T15 is horrendous, I don't blame for wanting to toss them.
wow didnt know it was that low for the surrounds, and ok ill lok more into those speakers tomorrow im off to bed and probably not going to buy any until
black friday so i have some time to do more research thought here would be a good place to start with
post #13 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Surrounds are important for the role that they play, and are beneficial for heavy action movies -- but the key is the front 3 speakers
thats what i figured im off to bed now but i think im going to try and do a lot of research tomorrow on my day off
post #14 of 58 Old 11-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
thats what i figured im off to bed now but i think im going to try and do a lot of research tomorrow on my day off
And check out the RSL subwoofer

----------------
Who AM I
post #15 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And check out the RSL subwoofer
so here is another issue i started looking into your recommendations and since i live in Canada more specifically Ontario i cant seem to find these in Canada and seems my options are very limited... any other recommendations?
post #16 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 AM

"so here is another issue i started looking into your recommendations and since i live in Canada more specifically Ontario i cant seem to find these in Canada and seems my options are very limited... any other recommendations?"

Paradigm Monitor Atom
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....atom-blk-pair/

Yamaha Subwoofer -- for that small room, it can work
https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-NS-SW10...ronics&sr=1-41

That small Polk center is not doing much for you -- go phantom center or also replace that center with a new one

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 11-18-2019 at 08:28 AM.
post #17 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"so here is another issue i started looking into your recommendations and since i live in Canada more specifically Ontario i cant seem to find these in Canada and seems my options are very limited... any other recommendations?"

Paradigm Monitor Atom
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....atom-blk-pair/

Yamaha Subwoofer -- for that small room, it can work
https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-NS-SW10...ronics&sr=1-41

That small Polk center is not doing much for you -- go phantom center or also replace that center with a new one
what do you think about this package ? its more than my original budget but is it worth it? or just go with your recommendation and use the polk satellites for surround?
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_735PCIN....html?tp=73218
post #18 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
what do you think about this package ? its more than my original budget but is it worth it? or just go with your recommendation and use the polk satellites for surround?
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_735PCIN....html?tp=73218
They will have more detail than what you have -- but not worth that price

----------------
Who AM I
post #19 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They will have more detail than what you have -- but not worth that price
ok ill stay clear of them, and if i where to get a center channel what would you suggest for that and do i keep my polk's for the SS and down firing?

PS: i appreciate all of your help and i hope i dont come off as someone asking too many questions i just want to make sure i make a sound decision and look at all my options
post #20 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
ok ill stay clear of them, and if i where to get a center channel what would you suggest for that and do i keep my polk's for the SS and down firing?
Look at the Paradigm Monitor center
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...tor-SE-2000C-B

The bookshelf
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...itor-SE-ATOM-B

You can keep your Polks for surrounds and down firing

----------------
Who AM I
post #21 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Look at the Paradigm Monitor center
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...tor-SE-2000C-B

The bookshelf
https://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/ca...itor-SE-ATOM-B

You can keep your Polks for surrounds and down firing
whats your thoughts on the Klipsch R-10SW vs yamaha NS-SW100BL reason i ask is the klipsch is on sale atm i would love to get the SVS SB-1000 but for 660 cad i think its out of the budget

as far as right left and center go i looked at a few reviews and they say the Paradigm speakers are better for music than they are for movies etc whats another suggestion? also whats your opinion on the Cambridge Audio MinxMin 12 v my current polks for surround speakers and down fireing?
post #22 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
whats your thoughts on the Klipsch R-10SW vs yamaha NS-SW100BL reason i ask is the klipsch is on sale atm i would love to get the SVS SB-1000 but for 660 cad i think its out of the budget

as far as right left and center go i looked at a few reviews and they say the Paradigm speakers are better for music than they are for movies etc whats another suggestion? also whats your opinion on the Cambridge Audio MinxMin 12 v my current polks for surround speakers and down fireing?
Speaker reviews are subjective, no one can speak for your ears, the Paradigm will not be a wimp for movies in your room -- the Paradigm are much better than what you have -- the seller should have an in-home trial period if you want to test them .... you can also look at PSB Alpha series .... I would take both options over the Minx 12 .... Klipsch or Yamaha can work in that smallish room

----------------
Who AM I
post #23 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
also whats your opinion on the Cambridge Audio MinxMin 12 v my current polks for surround speakers and down fireing?
The Minx 12 can work as surrounds for you in your room

----------------
Who AM I
post #24 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Speaker reviews are subjective, no one can speak for your ears, the Paradigm will not be a wimp for movies in your room -- the Paradigm are much better than what you have -- the seller should have an in-home trial period if you want to test them .... you can also look at PSB Alpha series .... I would take both options over the Minx 12 .... Klipsch or Yamaha can work in that smallish room
ya thats the ****ty part where i am the only place i can go to test speakers is best buy unless i travel 4 hours to Toronto
post #25 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
where i am the only place i can go to test speakers is best buy unless i travel 4 hours to Toronto
Only you can decide -- but the recommendations given are a big step over your front 3 speakers
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #26 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
ya thats the ****ty part where i am the only place i can go to test speakers is best buy unless i travel 4 hours to Toronto
Then just use Amazon's liberal return policies to try out the NHT speakers. Get the SuperOnes for your fronts and the SuperZeros everywhere else as previously discussed. I'd wager 90% odds you'll be thrilled with them, but if not Amazon should take them back for a refund (assuming it's the same as here in the US).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #27 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Then just use Amazon's liberal return policies to try out the NHT speakers. Get the SuperOnes for your fronts and the SuperZeros everywhere else as previously discussed. I'd wager 90% odds you'll be thrilled with them, but if not Amazon should take them back for a refund (assuming it's the same as here in the US).
so since i cant find the superzeros in canada i did find https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-Wal...8KV30XSGQ&th=1
whats your thoughts on these for the 4 SS speakers

for front center and right i think io want a center channel for looks and future proof when i move out into a larger space so right now im currently looking at the Super ones and the Supercenter like you mentioned or the Paradigm Monitor SE ATOM along with the Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C whats your opinions on those?

and for the sub im looking at the 2 options listed above in this thread the Klipsch R-10SW and yamaha NS-SW100BL whats your opinion on that? also looking to get a quote on how much it would be to get the RSL Speedwoofer 10S shipped to Canada

if i where to up my budget a little bit to say 600-700 cad for left right and center what would be the best bang for the buck in that price range?
post #28 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
so since i cant find the superzeros in canada i did find https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-Wal...8KV30XSGQ&th=1

for front center and right i think io want a center channel for looks and future proof when i move out into a larger space so right now im currently looking at the Super ones and the Supercenter like you mentioned or the Paradigm Monitor SE ATOM along with the Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C whats your opinions on those?

and for the sub im looking at the 2 options listed above in this thread the Klipsch R-10SW and yamaha NS-SW100BL whats your opinion on that? also looking to get a quote on how much it would be to get the RSL Speedwoofer 10S shipped to Canada

if i where to up my budget a little bit to say 600-700 cad for left right and center what would be the best bang for the buck in that price range?
I wouldn't spend that much on the Polks unless you have really strong WAF pressure. You'd be better off saving money for the SVS PB1000 sub from electronicsforless.ca by getting either of these for the SS speakers:
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-MB42-Boo.../dp/B009IUIV4A
or these Daytons:
https://www.amazon.ca/Dayton-Audio-B...dp/B002RMPHMU/

post #29 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't spend that much on the Polks unless you have really strong WAF pressure. You'd be better off saving money for the SVS PB1000 sub from electronicsforless.ca by getting either of these for the SS speakers:
https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-MB42-Boo.../dp/B009IUIV4A
or these Daytons:
https://www.amazon.ca/Dayton-Audio-B...dp/B002RMPHMU/
The reason im kinda staying away frim bookshelfs for the SS is because if my limited soace and they would be quite bulky fot the space i have
post #30 of 58 Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The reason im kinda staying away frim bookshelfs for the SS is because if my limited soace and they would be quite bulky fot the space i have
Then maybe try these?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00N8265I8/ref=dp_cerb_1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page