How to mount bookshelf speaker to ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to mount bookshelf speaker to ceiling?

Hi all,

I have 26cm of space (ceiling to floor) and I need to fit good bookshelf speaker in horizontal position with ceiling mount. My idea was to get B&W 607, rotate it 90°, put in downward position (around 30°) and then I need a custom mount. I looked at Vogles site but I am not finding anything fit for my needs. Anyone tried something like this? The biggest problem is how to hold the speaker that is not meant to be wall mounted at angle without damaging its edges or sides.

Thanks!

EDIT: I found Vogles universal holder that might work. I would need custom L shaped flat iron pole, horizontal portion screwed into concrete ceiling, wall mount screwed into vertical portion. Speaker is put into lying position and tilted 15° down. I might get away under 26cm with that setup. What do you think?

EDIT2: With 15° tilt down speaker won't be directed at my head so instead speakers to be at 90-120° (window is right where they should be) I have to move them further back and they will be at 135-150°. How big of a deal is it in 5.1 setup? I can adjust surround delay to compensate it.

Last edited by dreic; 11-16-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: an idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
Hi all,

I have 26cm of space (ceiling to floor) and I need to fit good bookshelf speaker in horizontal position with ceiling mount. My idea was to get B&W 607, rotate it 90°, put in downward position (around 30°) and then I need a custom mount. I looked at Vogles site but I am not finding anything fit for my needs. Anyone tried something like this? The biggest problem is how to hold the speaker that is not meant to be wall mounted at angle without damaging its edges or sides.

Thanks!

EDIT: I found Vogles universal holder that might work. I would need custom L shaped flat iron pole, horizontal portion screwed into concrete ceiling, wall mount screwed into vertical portion. Speaker is put into lying position and tilted 15° down. I might get away under 26cm with that setup. What do you think?
Hi,

I personally would not use this or similar design, for ceiling mount. They are design for a wall mounting situation, but on the ceiling it could be iffy.
Instead, look for design like these;
https://www.amazon.ca/Clearance-Univ...950539&sr=8-14
or like these;
https://www.amazon.ca/TygerClaw-SM80...qid=1573950584

Since the ceiling part, can be mounted into a joist on the ceiling. And for the speaker end, strait into the speaker. Just make sure that the mount is rated, for the weight of the speaker. And using the screw going into the speaker, are just long enough to do the job with an aggressive tread. Since if the screw is too long, it could damage internal wiring. And it would also be wise, to use a small pilot drill. Then applying some silicone into the pilot hole, before screwing the screws. Since it would prevent any air leaks.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 11-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Hi,

I personally would not use this or similar design, for ceiling mount. They are design for a wall mounting situation, but on the ceiling it could be iffy.
Instead, look for design like these;
https://www.amazon.ca/Clearance-Univ...950539&sr=8-14
or like these;
https://www.amazon.ca/TygerClaw-SM80...qid=1573950584

Since the ceiling part, can be mounted into a joist on the ceiling. And for the speaker end, strait into the speaker. Just make sure that the mount is rated, for the weight of the speaker. And using the screw going into the speaker, are just long enough to do the job with an aggressive tread. Since if the screw is too long, it could damage internal wiring. And it would also be wise, to use a small pilot drill. Then applying some silicone into the pilot hole, before screwing the screws. Since it would prevent any air leaks.

Darth

Ugh I don't want to drill speakers, no one will buy them later and I will void warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Maybe buy some small bookshelf speakers that come with mounting brackets already, like Focal Dome or Focal Sib speakers.
darthray likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ugh I don't want to drill speakers, no one will buy them later and I will void warranty.
While it might void your warranty, if you have own those speakers for a while. Chance are, that nothing will go wrong in the future.
And since speakers have little resell value, I would look at the present. Since most potential buyer, will not think twice about a couple screws.
Tight against the speaker cabinet, once the mount has been remove. I was just providing instructions, on how to do-it the proper way from many years of experience.

All the best in your future decision.

Drth

Last edited by darthray; 11-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Maybe buy some small bookshelf speakers that come with mounting brackets already, like Focal Dome or Focal Sib speakers.
Agree, my instructions was to keep it simple.
My self, I use some of these;
https://www.amazon.ca/FTVOGUE-Inside...956095&sr=8-14
For a more professional finish, to drill through my speakers when required. But are harder to do properly

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 11-16-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2843 Post(s)
Liked: 4324
Have you considered just using in ceiling speakers instead of tacking a bookshelf speaker onto the ceiling?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

EDIT2: With 15° tilt down speaker won't be directed at my head so instead speakers to be at 90-120° (window is right where they should be) I have to move them further back and they will be at 135-150°. How big of a deal is it in 5.1 setup? I can adjust surround delay to compensate it.
Could you give more detail about what it is you wish to do?

I can't picture why you'd have 26cm (10.24") vertically in which to mount speakers from the ceiling.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Could you give more detail about what it is you wish to do?

I can't picture why you'd have 26cm (10.24") vertically in which to mount speakers from the ceiling.

There is a window at spot where speaker should be (90° from seating position) and if I don't mount it there, only option is move it further back at 150° but in 5.1 setup. Not sure how bad would it deteriorate the setup though...

It's a new condo, I should have thought about it while it was in construction and prepare holes in ceiling for atmos speakers... Anyway, now I don't want to dig the ceiling for inwall speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page