Recommend 3.1 speaker setup for noob 2.0 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By bulldog78
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By bulldog78
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Recommend 3.1 speaker setup for noob 2.0

So you guys helped me out before so I'd thought I would try again! My last help thread... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ions-noob.html



1) Your budget. No set budget, I'd like to keep it mid range. TV is ~3000$ so 3.1 speakers that will match.
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern. Movies and TV, some music
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon. TV 85" Sony XBR85X900F
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice). So this is our great room, it is 19' x 19' with 18' ceiling with a kitchen behind it that is 15' x 19' with 10' ceiling here is a ghetto fabulous mock up https://ibb.co/c6S8mvC
5) Any placement restrictions. TV is wall mounted to front wall see mock up
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns. No
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider). I am open to suggestions we have the TV already
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.) I like bass, but would need to tone it down when the kids are in bed...



Again I really appreciate any help. I built my last system 3 years ago with your guys help and was very happy with the gear you helped me pick out. Any feedback would be great! Let me know if you need more info.
bulldog78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,217
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7424 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog78 View Post
1) Your budget. No set budget, I'd like to keep it mid range. TV is ~3000$ so 3.1 speakers that will match.
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music--and whether or not any of those are your primary concern. Movies and TV, some music
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon. TV 85" Sony XBR85X900F
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice). So this is our great room, it is 19' x 19' with 18' ceiling with a kitchen behind it that is 15' x 19' with 10' ceiling here is a ghetto fabulous mock up https://ibb.co/c6S8mvC
5) Any placement restrictions. TV is wall mounted to front wall see mock up
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns. No
7) Any equipment you are already considering (or would not consider). I am open to suggestions we have the TV already
8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.) [COLOR=red]I like bass, but would need to tone it down when the kids are in bed...
Welcome back! So it sounds like you sold off all the RBH speakers as well as the SVS PB1000?

For 3.1 in that kind of space, I'd recommend this time around:

a. Emotiva T2 + C2 center, $1400 shipped
or
b. Ascend 340SE x 3, about $1K with OEM tower-look stands (or $834 if you skip the stands and buy normal stands like the Monolith ones).
or
c. Chane A2.4 x 3, about $860 shipped
or
d. Chane A5.5 towers + A2.4 center, $1243 shipped === caveat: the A5.5 are "pre-order" which historically means they could arrive by the end of this month, next month, etc. You do get a nice $100 discount if you use their pre-order code though.

For such a big open space having enough sub will be key, so I'd go with a robust 15" one like the Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15H both of which are currently on sale, which will run $900-1000 shipped. You'll still be way under budget, no need to go much above that unless you plan to do critical music listening.
bulldog78 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,195
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2959 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
What was it about the RBH that has you looking to replace them? What are you looking to get from your new speakers that you did not get from your old?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No I still have all that stuff in our basement from the previous post. This is a new project for our upstairs family room.
Lp85253 likes this.
bulldog78 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,845
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9340 Post(s)
Liked: 6427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog78 View Post
Again I really appreciate any help. I built my last system 3 years ago with your guys help and was very happy with the gear you helped me pick out. Any feedback would be great! Let me know if you need more info.[/COLOR][/COLOR]
I would start with a Klipsch RP system from Best Buy with free returns, but don't buy their sub.

A pair of RP6000F floor standing speaker are $1150/pr there, (and everywhere else), and the RP600C center is $575.

Though even for that large space a pair of RP600m bookshelves + that center might be more than enough for a total of $1210 vs. $1725 for the floor standing setup.

That would allow you to get two HSU VTF2 MK3 subwoofers for $1154, (note that oddly because they haven't adjusted their site, make sure they give you that individual sub holiday price not the higher price for two listed as dual drive).

If the Klipsch don't cut it move on to something else with less attractive return policies but I think the HSUs are a solid bet for you.
bulldog78 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the input you guys! You narrowed down the field a lot for me... so many choices for someone that doesn't keep up on the latest and greatest.



Just some quick thoughts...
I am not sure the Emotiva T2 fit my style, kind of different looking... spacey.
I do like the look of the Chane A5.5 towers + A2.4 center, how would these compare to the RP6000?



One more question. What kind of receiver would you guys recommend for this setup?



Thanks again! You all are awesome!
bulldog78 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,217
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7424 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog78 View Post
I am not sure the Emotiva T2 fit my style, kind of different looking... spacey.
I do like the look of the Chane A5.5 towers + A2.4 center, how would these compare to the RP6000?

One more question. What kind of receiver would you guys recommend for this setup?
lol, no worries---lots of folks are put off by the Emotivas' Batmobile styling.

I'd confidently put the Chanes up against the Klipsch, and would wager they'll be more neutral/balanced.

Either would be an easy load to drive, right now the Denon X1500 is on sale for $300 on Crutchfield, that's what I'd get.
bulldog78 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
lol, no worries---lots of folks are put off by the Emotivas' Batmobile styling.

I'd confidently put the Chanes up against the Klipsch, and would wager they'll be more neutral/balanced.

Either would be an easy load to drive, right now the Denon X1500 is on sale for $300 on Crutchfield, that's what I'd get.



Great, I'll post some pics when I am done. Thanks for the input all!
bulldog78 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-18-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,845
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9340 Post(s)
Liked: 6427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog78 View Post
Thanks for the input you guys! You narrowed down the field a lot for me... so many choices for someone that doesn't keep up on the latest and greatest.



Just some quick thoughts...
I am not sure the Emotiva T2 fit my style, kind of different looking... spacey.
I do like the look of the Chane A5.5 towers + A2.4 center, how would these compare to the RP6000?



One more question. What kind of receiver would you guys recommend for this setup?



Thanks again! You all are awesome!
Chane would be expensive to return but based on AVS owner experience a very solid choice.

Even more so if you live near them as they are near Tampa.

The 1500 would be a great choice unless, down the road, you might want to try 5.1.4 and then this receiver would make sense though for other scenarios the Denon 1500 is a good choice.

Set up a 1400 for my friend and it works very well.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580RZ6...-TX-RZ630.html
bulldog78 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got everything ordered and have received the HSU sub and Chane a2.4 center speaker. Looks like the A5.5's came in and are on the way, got an tacking email this AM. It looks like the A5.5's also dropped in price from $860 to $469? Is that normal going from preorder to available, pricing mistake? Do you know if I'd have a chance of getting the difference? https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/ind...product_id=242

Edit: sent them an email, wow they are a responsive company, and that is the single speaker price. I'll post some pics soon!
zieglj01 likes this.

Last edited by bulldog78; 12-03-2019 at 08:10 AM.
bulldog78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off