Short but wide center channel, advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Demetri Zuev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Short but wide center channel, advice needed

Hey everyone!

I've been running a full SVS system with Prime Bookshelves, Center and Satellites and am pretty happy with it. Now black friday is coming, so I'm starting to seriously consider upgrading my 65" LG OLED screen to a bigger diagonal, something in a 77 inch range. This is where I run into space constraints issue.

Right now my Prime center is sitting on a shelf right above my display. Since the distance from the screen to LP is not too great (around 185cm), this is the highest possible position for my center to be in, so I can angle it down correctly to point to a said LP. Now, the 77 inch OLED is taller than my 65 inch. It is in fact so tall, that it will almost completely block my center channel. The right thing to do would be to just put the center channel down, but Prime Center is so tall, that it will block a great portion of my TV and I have no way of putting it below the TV, there is no compartment for it there and I can't replace the rack my TV is sitting on, since it's also doubles as a storage space for a lot of stuff.

This is where I've started to think about short but wide center channels. Polk S35e caught my eye, being the right height, but I'm afraid that since it's almost half the cost of SVS Prime Center the sound quality can be inferior. Has anyone had a chance to compare these two?

And as a more general questions - are there any other short but wide center channels that you can recommend for my system (there is a full component description in a signature)? I know Klipsch has a few, but which one would be better?

I've attached a photo of my front setup, so you can better understand what's going on there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2642098  

My system: 11.1.4
Screen: LG OLED65B8 AVR: Denon X4400H, External amp: Emotiva A-500, Center: SVS Prime Center, Fronts: SVS Prime Bookshelfs, Surrounds: SVS Prime Satellites, Surround backs: DefTech ProMonitor 800, Sub: SVS SB-3000, Heights: 4xCambridge Audio Minx 22, 4K Blu-Ray Player: Sony X700, Media player: Nvidia Shield
Demetri Zuev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Center channel always seems to a problem unless you go all 3 of the same speakers at same height across the front.
Bellaseni is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 05:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
Hey everyone!

I've been running a full SVS system with Prime Bookshelves, Center and Satellites and am pretty happy with it. Now black friday is coming, so I'm starting to seriously consider upgrading my 65" LG OLED screen to a bigger diagonal, something in a 77 inch range. This is where I run into space constraints issue.

Right now my Prime center is sitting on a shelf right above my display. Since the distance from the screen to LP is not too great (around 185cm), this is the highest possible position for my center to be in, so I can angle it down correctly to point to a said LP. Now, the 77 inch OLED is taller than my 65 inch. It is in fact so tall, that it will almost completely block my center channel. The right thing to do would be to just put the center channel down, but Prime Center is so tall, that it will block a great portion of my TV and I have no way of putting it below the TV, there is no compartment for it there and I can't replace the rack my TV is sitting on, since it's also doubles as a storage space for a lot of stuff.

This is where I've started to think about short but wide center channels. Polk S35e caught my eye, being the right height, but I'm afraid that since it's almost half the cost of SVS Prime Center the sound quality can be inferior. Has anyone had a chance to compare these two?

And as a more general questions - are there any other short but wide center channels that you can recommend for my system (there is a full component description in a signature)? I know Klipsch has a few, but which one would be better?

I've attached a photo of my front setup, so you can better understand what's going on there
Are you totally opposed to mounting the screen on the wall? With a fully articulating mount you could place the screen as high as you want (within reason!) and tilt it down for optimal viwing position while leaving plenty of room for whatever center speaker you desire placed on your console.
Dargent0628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Demetri Zuev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent0628 View Post
Are you totally opposed to mounting the screen on the wall? With a fully articulating mount you could place the screen as high as you want (within reason!) and tilt it down for optimal viwing position while leaving plenty of room for whatever center speaker you desire placed on your console.
The wall behind the screen is hollow, I'm afraid I'll end up with a screen ripping a hole in the wall one day, considering how much it weights

My system: 11.1.4
Screen: LG OLED65B8 AVR: Denon X4400H, External amp: Emotiva A-500, Center: SVS Prime Center, Fronts: SVS Prime Bookshelfs, Surrounds: SVS Prime Satellites, Surround backs: DefTech ProMonitor 800, Sub: SVS SB-3000, Heights: 4xCambridge Audio Minx 22, 4K Blu-Ray Player: Sony X700, Media player: Nvidia Shield
Demetri Zuev is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,697
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 4322
The best extremely slim, non garbage center channel I have come across is the JBL A135C. I demo'd it in my system for a short time and thought it sounded really good for its diminutive size. Actually did not notice any shortcomings although I didn't demo near reference level. For modest listening levels and distances I think it will work well. Free shipping and returns from JBL website and very reasonable cost.
bear123 is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-17-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Zorba922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 13,236
Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7437 Post(s)
Liked: 5677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
This is where I've started to think about short but wide center channels. Polk S35e caught my eye, being the right height, but I'm afraid that since it's almost half the cost of SVS Prime Center the sound quality can be inferior. And as a more general questions - are there any other short but wide center channels that you can recommend for my system (there is a full component description in a signature)?
If you can tolerate a 6" height, I'd try the RSL CG23...it has free return shipping, so basically no risk to you.

The S35 is usually reported as having decent voice clarity but poor tonal realism, resulting in unnatural / androgynous male voices.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Zorba922 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 256
If you don't mind your TV being higher, you could get a large center speaker and set the TV on top of the speaker. That way, the center speaker would be on the same level as your front L/R speakers.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
mtrot is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Demetri Zuev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
If you don't mind your TV being higher, you could get a large center speaker and set the TV on top of the speaker. That way, the center speaker would be on the same level as your front L/R speakers.
But isn't this solution going to potentially introduce some sound issues? How would you decouple a tv from the center channel and the center channel from the stand it sits on? I decouple all my speakers with auralex pads.

I mean, there are some huge Klipsch centers, so it is possible

My system: 11.1.4
Screen: LG OLED65B8 AVR: Denon X4400H, External amp: Emotiva A-500, Center: SVS Prime Center, Fronts: SVS Prime Bookshelfs, Surrounds: SVS Prime Satellites, Surround backs: DefTech ProMonitor 800, Sub: SVS SB-3000, Heights: 4xCambridge Audio Minx 22, 4K Blu-Ray Player: Sony X700, Media player: Nvidia Shield

Last edited by Demetri Zuev; 11-20-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Demetri Zuev is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri Zuev View Post
But isn't this solution going to potentially introduce some sound issues? How would you decouple a tv from the center channel and the center channel from the stand it sits on? I decouple all my speakers with auralex pads.

I mean, there are some huge Klipsch centers, so it is possible

Well, I don't worry as much about that. I recently bought the new Wharfedale EVO center speaker, and it is wide and deep enough that my TV stand will be able to sit nicely on top of it.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
mtrot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off