• 1 Post By BillP
  • 1 Post By deewan

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question and or dilemma?

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I have a situation and am looking for some advice. I posted my speakers on eBay and craigslist. I got a commitment from a guy with no reputation on eBay who wants me to send the speakers to a different state than he lives in and he is paying me full price, + shipping and giving me an additional $300 for a gift card to include in the speaker box. I just received payment through PayPal, what are my risks here?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Only send to the paypal verified address!!!
chevman likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevman View Post
Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I have a situation and am looking for some advice. I posted my speakers on eBay and craigslist. I got a commitment from a guy with no reputation on eBay who wants me to send the speakers to a different state than he lives in and he is paying me full price, + shipping and giving me an additional $300 for a gift card to include in the speaker box. I just received payment through PayPal, what are my risks here?

Any ideas?
He is giving you an additional $300 for you to buy a gift card and include that gift card when you ship your speakers? All of this seems kinda iffy to me.

As noted above, ONLY send to a paypal verified address. Be 100% sure the paypal payment is in your bank account before doing anything. Did the guy purchase through ebay or Craigslist?

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
He is giving you an additional $300 for you to buy a gift card and include that gift card when you ship your speakers? All of this seems kinda iffy to me.

As noted above, ONLY send to a paypal verified address. Be 100% sure the paypal payment is in your bank account before doing anything. Did the guy purchase through ebay or Craigslist?
Ebay, but he has no other purchases. My internal red flag went on alert when the gift card thing came up. I got a couple of emails allegedly from Paypal saying I had money waiting, but, their website shows no transactions. I think it's about time to shut this turkey down.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 524
As others have stated, wait to make sure you actually receive the funds before shipping anything. Maybe he is legit (and giving a nice gift to someone, or shipping to a 2nd home). But maybe he's a con artist.
chevman likes this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I thank you all. I waited for Paypal to open and got what I suspected. It is a scam. So, just in case you are unsure about Paypal transactions, here is what they just sent me: Good luck and good selling.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

The email uses a generic greeting like "Dear user" or "Hello, PayPal member." We always address you by your first name and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
The email requests financial and other personal information. For example, an email from PayPal never asks for the numbers of your bank account, debit or credit card, or driver’s license. We also don’t request your email addresses, your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions.
The email includes an attachment or a software update to install on your computer.
We will never ask you for money in an email, and we will never ask you to send money through Western Union, MoneyGram or any other third party money transfer service.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Make sure you also report him to ebay so they can shut down his account.
BillP likes this.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page