Need Suggestion on speaker system for Home Theatre - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Need Suggestion on speaker system for Home Theatre

Hi, I'm setting up a home theatre in my unfinished basement. The space is 21'X 13' I have a new Epson 5050 and a new Denon 9.2 4500 receiver. For speakers I have some older stuff - A SVS PB10 subwoofer, a Cerwin Vega ED6C center speaker and two Cerwin Vega SA-140 shelf speakers. I'll use those for now but will replace them at some point,
The system is for movies, sports, music and the odd game once in awhile.

I need two front towers and 4 ceiling speakers and if the ones I have a considered obsolete I'm up for replacing them as well.

With a budget of $3-$5K what would everyone recommend for a decent system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 473
If you can go with an acoustically transparent screen and put three identical towers behind it for left, center and right.

Have you listened to any other speakers and if so did you like any one in particular?

Klipsch might be good if you have good room treatments. Stick with the RP series as it has tamed down high end.

Power Sound Audio (PSA) is also excellent for HT.
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers

Where are you located?

And try to get a second sub which will help
DavAbq likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
I’d recommend Klipsch RP8000F towers up front and then you can do some Klipsch PRO-180RPC in ceiling speakers.

Will come in under budget, and you can get it even cheaper from a dealer who will discount the set for you.
DavAbq likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Best bang for your buck right now are the Polk LSIM's...at least until stock finally runs out.

Front L/R
https://www.adorama.com/pkalsm705mv2...ce=rflaid62905

Surrounds
https://www.adorama.com/pklsm703mvc2...ce=rflaid62905

Center
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LS...+cherry&sr=8-4

Heights
https://www.newegg.com/p/0S6-0005-000V6

Subs
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HPDual.html

This would be a pretty kick ass 5.2.4 system for $4K
m0j0 likes this.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.

Last edited by Darren Chan; 11-18-2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Adding links
post #5 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Chan View Post
Best bang for your buck right now are the Polk LSIM's...at least until stock finally runs out.

Front L/R
https://www.adorama.com/pkalsm705mv2...ce=rflaid62905

Surrounds
https://www.adorama.com/pklsm703mvc2...ce=rflaid62905

Center
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LS...+cherry&sr=8-4

Heights
https://www.newegg.com/p/0S6-0005-000V6

Subs
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HPDual.html

This would be a pretty kick ass 5.2.4 system for $4K

I have LSiM 705's up front with a 704c center channel, 703's for side surrounds and 265-LS in walls for the rear surrounds, and they are pretty great for a home theater setup.
post #6 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I would buy something with a good reputation that can be had at a great price. The AC4L KEF deals are very good.

The internet direct speakers have good reputations, but also have terrible resale when you decide to upgrade.

BTW, i'm not a KEF owner.
post #7 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Need Suggestion on speaker system for Home Theatre

21’ is pretty deep...if you are listening at 12’ or more and want good capability for home theater, I’d look at PSA. 95-98 dB sensitivity for crystal clear, dynamic home theater playback along with good sound quality. Low sensitivity music speakers as recommended so far if you want to listen quietly enough but will struggle as you turn up the volume. PSA will play clean and distortion free easily up to reference level without a large power requirement.

Since these speakers are engineered from the ground up to be crossed to subs, they are *FAR* more capable than low sensitivity “hifi” speakers that try to play full range and in exchange give up capability above crossover. The PSA will require 4-10x less power, which means you will either run out of amp/AVR power and/or distort/compress full range speakers way below reference even if crosses to subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by bear123; 11-18-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #8 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7474 Post(s)
Liked: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
Hi, I'm setting up a home theatre in my unfinished basement. The space is 21'X 13'

I need two front towers and 4 ceiling speakers and if the ones I have a considered obsolete I'm up for replacing them as well.

1. How far from the screen will you be sitting?

2. What % of your usage will be music? If under 30% I'd say your budget is way too generous.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9382 Post(s)
Liked: 6462
Quote:
Hi, I'm setting up a home theatre in my unfinished basement. The space is 21'X 13' I have a new Epson 5050 and a new Denon 9.2 4500 receiver. For speakers I have some older stuff - A SVS PB10 subwoofer, a Cerwin Vega ED6C center speaker and two Cerwin Vega SA-140 shelf speakers. I'll use those for now but will replace them at some point,

How loud do you listen and how far back will you be sitting?

Are you using a TV or Screen with projector?

Your budget is enough for 9 all new speakers and 2 new subs of high quality.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone!

It's going to be a screen and a projector and I'll be sitting about 12' from the screen. The main focus in optimizing the audio is for movies.

Those Polk audio towers at $399 seem to good to be true. Same speaker is $1499 on same website so maybe its a typo.

I have a line on 4 Paradigm CI Home H80-R ceiling speakers would they be a nice addition to my Denon 4500 and system?

Also I have a line on a pair of PARADIGM MONITOR 11 V7 towers. Good speakers? Good Fit?

Last edited by zzmac; 11-18-2019 at 08:41 PM.
post #11 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Those Polk audio towers at $399 seem to good to be true. Same speaker is $1499 on same website so maybe its a typo
Not a typo. Those speakers are discontinued and being replaced with the Legend series so when they're gone, they're gone. The price for the 705's is $399 through an affiliate link (slickdeals) and will show the regular price if it isn't clicked through that link. The LSiM was the flagship line from Polk and are highly regarded. It's a no brainer at the current price. The Legend speaker that replaces it retails for $2000 per speaker.

Adorama had the 706c center for $349 but those are sold out there but available for a higher price still at Amazon.

As for the in ceiling speakers I listed, they are a bit pricey but are timbre matched to the LSiM line (debatable as to whether that's actually necessary). Could be a place to trim the budget if needed.

Marantz SR7013, Polk Signature S60s/S30/S15s/HTS12s, Polk MC80 (x4), AC Infinity T9/S9, AAB4 HTPC,...still to come - Panasonic DP-UB820K, 82" 4K QLED or eqv.

Last edited by Darren Chan; 11-18-2019 at 09:41 PM.
post #12 of 40 Old 11-18-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
It's going to be a screen and a projector and I'll be sitting about 12' from the screen. The main focus in optimizing the audio is for movies.
Then the best way to go = get an acoustically transparent screen so you can place 3 identical speakers behind it. That way you just pay for the best performance at the best price, instead of paying for a pretty cabinet.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #13 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Agree on 3 identical towers up front. If you can't accommodate that, make sure the center speaker is the biggest one they offer in the line.

The Polk LSiM are great but sensitivity is a bit low as far as towers go, and for 12' in a HT environment the JBL Studio 590 towers would get my nod. These offer good sensitivity, and a well-engineered waveguide for great sound. They are almost universally praised for their sound quality so they can do justice to music as well (and there's a lot of music in movies).

https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+590BK.html
bear123 likes this.
post #14 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Agree on 3 identical towers up front. If you can't accommodate that, make sure the center speaker is the biggest one they offer in the line.

The Polk LSiM are great but sensitivity is a bit low as far as towers go, and for 12' in a HT environment the JBL Studio 590 towers would get my nod. These offer good sensitivity, and a well-engineered waveguide for great sound. They are almost universally praised for their sound quality so they can do justice to music as well (and there's a lot of music in movies).

https://www.jbl.com/STUDIO+590BK.html

Thanks for your response Soulburner. What is sensitivity and if it's low what does that affect? (tryin to learn everything as fast as I can lol)
post #15 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Thanks for your response Soulburner. What is sensitivity and if it's low what does that affect? (tryin to learn everything as fast as I can lol)
Sensitivity is measured as how loud does the speaker play at 1 meter when given a standard 2.83v input. The JBL 590s do 92 decibels where the Polks do 88dB, making them better suited for a theater setting and at longer distances.
Vikram Iyengar likes this.
post #16 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Then the best way to go = get an acoustically transparent screen so you can place 3 identical speakers behind it. That way you just pay for the best performance at the best price, instead of paying for a pretty cabinet.

Thanks for your response Zorba!

I will be building a 138"spandex screen so it's acoustically transparent. I've been getting great advice from some very experienced people here and was told NOT to put the towers behind the screen but in the corners and to put my center channel dead center (VT & HZ) behind screen.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a couple of those Polk LSiM705 towers so I have some questions (without hopefully not starting a speaker placement war). My screen will be 26" off the floor. If I placed these floorstanding speakers behind the screen wouldn't the lower wooden frame of the screen impede/distort to a degree what's coming out of the speakers?
If not, would I be better off buyin 3 of these speakers and making one of them the dedicated center channel?
post #17 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
My screen will be 26" off the floor. If I placed these floorstanding speakers behind the screen wouldn't the lower wooden frame of the screen impede/distort to a degree what's coming out of the speakers?
If not, would I be better off buyin 3 of these speakers and making one of them the dedicated center channel?
In that case, you'd be better off buying 3 dual woofer bookshelves and putting them on 24" or higher stands.

3 possible options:
  • Ascend 340SE x 3
  • Chane A2.4 x 3
  • Hsu HC-1 x 3

post #18 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Depending on the thickness of the wood member and the height of the individual drivers, the frame may not be significantly in play. Make sure the tweeter has line of sight for sure. The woofers are more forgiving.

If you feel the frame is in play, you can always build a platform for the center. The platform can be as simple as a box on the floor or a well secured shelf hanging on the wall. It doesn't even have to be the full 26". You could just raise it enough so the frame lies between two of the drivers. It also doesn't have to be pretty but anything visible could be wrapped in some black velvet. Having the center tower raised might be better to center the dialogue in the middle of the screen but there is also something to be said for having the front soundstage at the same bed height for smooth panning. You can always try the different placements to see which you like better. Moving speakers around costs you nothing. You can use a side table to temporarily raise the speaker.

Last edited by Darren Chan; 11-19-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #19 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:

In that case, you'd be better off buying 3 dual woofer bookshelves and putting them on 24" or higher stands.

3 possible options:
  • Ascend 340SE x 3
  • Chane A2.4 x 3
  • Hsu HC-1 x 3
Aren't bookshelves normally sold in pairs? Will retailers split a pair?

post #20 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Aren't bookshelves normally sold in pairs? Will retailers split a pair?
That's one of the advantages of going with internet-direct companies like those 3, they do sell things in singles.

post #21 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:

That's one of the advantages of going with internet-direct companies like those 3, they do sell things in singles.
Good to know. What if you don't go with the ID companies? Do you just end up with a spare? For me, sometimes shipping to Canada eats up too much of the budget so I'd rather buy locally.

post #22 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Good to know. What if you don't go with the ID companies? Do you just end up with a spare? For me, sometimes shipping to Canada eats up too much of the budget so I'd rather buy locally.
Well, in Canada your options are severely limited. The only ID company up there is Fluance, whose products get mixed reviews...but they do give you free return shipping.

post #23 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:

In Canada three Klipsch RP6000F towers or three PSB Imagine X2T towers will be $2250 at Crutchfield Canada.

Geoff A. J., California
post #24 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone again for your help.

I just bought the Polk LSiM 705 towers, the 704c center channel and two 703 side surrounds. The sale prices were just too good to pass up. The reviews were really good for this system and the money I saved will make me feel better about the lower sensitivity. I would have preferred them in a black finish (only cherry was available) but they look nice.

Now I have to figure what to buy for ceiling speakers. :-)
m0j0 and Vikram Iyengar like this.
post #25 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I just bought the Polk LSiM 705 towers, the 704c center channel and two 703 side surrounds. The sale prices were just too good to pass up. The reviews were really good for this system and the money I saved will make me feel better about the lower sensitivity. I would have preferred them in a black finish (only cherry was available) but they look nice.

Congrats. Now you can get a 2nd sub with the money you saved 😁. As for ceiling speakers, they don't have to break the bank. I have Polk MC80's (I paid $68 CAD each) and they work well and have an aimable tweeter. You can spend much more but the returns are steeply diminishing. I'd spend the extra money on a quality sub.

Last edited by Darren Chan; 11-19-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #26 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 PM

As for the sensitivity...I honestly don't think you will have an issue with volume. Set your LCR to small and there should be plenty of headroom for dynamics. You can always add an amp if needed.

post #27 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Polk are solid value for in ceilings, if in the States RSL would be a good choice too but you're in Canada.

Geoff A. J., California
post #28 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Best Buy gift card so I'll probably just get some Polk ceiling speakers there on Black Friday. Thanks everyone!
post #29 of 40 Old 11-19-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I have a Best Buy gift card so I'll probably just get some Polk ceiling speakers there on Black Friday. Thanks everyone!
Looking forward to your overall impressions; the LSiM are a great choice.

Didn't realize they were inexpensive in Canada as well.

Geoff A. J., California
post #30 of 40 Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Looking forward to your overall impressions; the LSiM are a great choice.

Didn't realize they were inexpensive in Canada as well.

I'm having them shipped to the border and will pick up on Friday in NY.
bear123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page