• 1 Post By Speckmon
  • 1 Post By Speckmon

post #1 of 13 Old 11-18-2019, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Basement build advice

Long time lurker and forgot my old username so started a new one. Finally bought a house, so i can re-start a theater in. Basement is 13x25'ish with a 7' drop ceiling and about a half foot or so above that. I'll eventually get around to insulating the ceiling, but i'm going to choose not to care about it for now. Also don't have a TV yet, but i'll probably do a nicer larger TV instead of screen to start off. Having our first baby within the month, so i can't go too nuts, just yet

Previously had a full Polkie setup (circa 2013ish) M70's, CS2, and M50 rears with a PSW505. I liked that setup a lot for what it was to me, i had it in a small room. Eventually sold it for some extra cash one semester, so i'm starting fresh.

I need a little help deciding my path forward. Will be used mostly for tv and movies, probably about 25% music.

I was thinking of starting with a PSA MT-110 2.0 or possibly 2.1 if i can fit the right sub with my budget. Trying to stay around or below $1500 for speakers right now. If I do a sub now I don't know that I'll be able top do a PSA. Hoping that in 6 months (my birthday) splurge and do a MT-210T L/R and 210C, and placing the initial speakers as surrounds.

Orrr I was looking at HSU's subs and saw they do some pretty sweet combo packages that might work out. I'm just not sure that they're in the same class as PSA's? I tend to get very big eyes with higher end electronics (maybe it's the EE in me) so i don't mind waiting it out to get a mack daddy setup.

Will need a AVR as well, which i'm hoping something decent in the $500 range goes on sale here soon for the holidays. Will i notice much difference between a AVR that puts out 95W a channel compared to something higher, with efficient speakers like the PSA's?

Anyone else build up from 2.0 MT-110's to 210's? Was the wait and extra buck spent worth it? or should i just start with 210T's? I'd like this setup to eventually be my endgame speaker setup that'll last for a long time.

Any help or other suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9344 Post(s)
Liked: 6431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckmon View Post
Long time lurker and forgot my old username so started a new one. Finally bought a house, so i can re-start a theater in. Basement is 13x25'ish with a 7' drop ceiling and about a half foot or so above that. I'll eventually get around to insulating the ceiling, but i'm going to choose not to care about it for now. Also don't have a TV yet, but i'll probably do a nicer larger TV instead of screen to start off. Having our first baby within the month, so i can't go too nuts, just yet

Previously had a full Polkie setup (circa 2013ish) M70's, CS2, and M50 rears with a PSW505. I liked that setup a lot for what it was to me, i had it in a small room. Eventually sold it for some extra cash one semester, so i'm starting fresh.

I need a little help deciding my path forward. Will be used mostly for tv and movies, probably about 25% music.

I was thinking of starting with a PSA MT-110 2.0 or possibly 2.1 if i can fit the right sub with my budget. Trying to stay around or below $1500 for speakers right now. If I do a sub now I don't know that I'll be able top do a PSA. Hoping that in 6 months (my birthday) splurge and do a MT-210T L/R and 210C, and placing the initial speakers as surrounds.

Orrr I was looking at HSU's subs and saw they do some pretty sweet combo packages that might work out. I'm just not sure that they're in the same class as PSA's? I tend to get very big eyes with higher end electronics (maybe it's the EE in me) so i don't mind waiting it out to get a mack daddy setup.

Will need a AVR as well, which i'm hoping something decent in the $500 range goes on sale here soon for the holidays. Will i notice much difference between a AVR that puts out 95W a channel compared to something higher, with efficient speakers like the PSA's?

Anyone else build up from 2.0 MT-110's to 210's? Was the wait and extra buck spent worth it? or should i just start with 210T's? I'd like this setup to eventually be my endgame speaker setup that'll last for a long time.

PSA are great but are specifically designed to be used with a subwoofer.

Good news is they have an excellent reputation on AVS and truthfully, no need for towers with a quality sub.

The other good news is that a modest AVR will power them to deafening levels.

But a "starter" set of two MT110s and the V1512DF subwoofer will set you back $2500.

That's almost double what a HSU 5.1 package would cost with their VTF2 sub.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 2928
Quote:

Unless you plan on listening at movie theater levels, you won't need to spend PSA money. A nice HSU hybrid package will sound quite nice and can get reasonably loud. Add a 2nd sub down the line and you'd have an awesome setup. The HSU HB-1 MK2 & HC-1 MK2 look quite stunning in the rosewood veneer so may score some WAF points as well. Alternatively, 3 Chane A2.4's across the front would do the trick.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Unless you plan on listening at movie theater levels, you won't need to spend PSA money. A nice HSU hybrid package will sound quite nice and can get reasonably loud. Add a 2nd sub down the line and you'd have an awesome setup. The HSU HB-1 MK2 & HC-1 MK2 look quite stunning in the rosewood veneer so may score some WAF points as well. Alternatively, 3 Chane A2.4's across the front would do the trick.
yeah, the more i look at HSU, the more i like them. and i just found a guy locally selling 2x HB-1 and a HC-1 on craigslist for $275, so I've pinged him for more info. That'll give me a little more headroom for a sub, which i'm thinking of the VTF-15H MK2.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
yeah, the more i look at HSU, the more i like them. and i just found a guy locally selling 2x HB-1 and a HC-1 on craigslist for $275, so I've pinged him for more info. That'll give me a little more headroom for a sub, which i'm thinking of the VTF-15H MK2.
Two VTF2s for $1214 will give you as much volume potential as one $1012 VTF-15H and much better bass across a broader listening area using HSUs own numbers and recognizing that using 2 identical subs gives you about +6db over using just one.

This is the classic case where two smaller quality subs are better than one larger quality sub.
Ryan Statz likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
I got a ULS-15 MK2 a bit more than a month ago, and man... this thing just destroys the other 10" subs I've had.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3283 Post(s)
Liked: 3180
Quote:
i just found a guy locally selling 2x HB-1 and a HC-1 on craigslist for $275, so I've pinged him for more info. That'll give me a little more headroom for a sub, which i'm thinking of the VTF-15H MK2.
Find out if they are the 1st version or the 2nd version HSU
bear123 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2830 Post(s)
Liked: 4313
Quote:
The MK1 version of the speakers aren't very good. The MK2 are better but not even in the remote ballpark of the PSA. You could always get them as starter speakers and move them to surrounds when you get the PSA, which will be drastically superior for home theater. I like the idea of a VTF15.2.....I'd get one of those over dual VTF-2's....it will have much lower extension and a better upgrade path down the road. With two VTF2's...you have to sell and start over to upgrade. Also consider a VTF3.5, not far behind the 15.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Two VTF2s for $1214 will give you as much volume potential as one $1012 VTF-15H and much better bass across a broader listening area using HSUs own numbers and recognizing that using 2 identical subs gives you about +6db over using just one.

This is the classic case where two smaller quality subs are better than one larger quality sub.
Here ya, but coming from no bass the VTF-15H is gonna be amazing in general. i woke up and impulse bought the VTF-15H this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
I got a ULS-15 MK2 a bit more than a month ago, and man... this thing just destroys the other 10" subs I've had.
Heck yeah man. I had a PSW505 before and i thoguht it was cool, but it's been a while now so this thing is gonna BLOW MY MIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Find out if they are the 1st version or the 2nd version HSU
They're MK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The MK1 version of the speakers aren't very good. The MK2 are better but not even in the remote ballpark of the PSA. You could always get them as starter speakers and move them to surrounds when you get the PSA, which will be drastically superior for home theater. I like the idea of a VTF15.2.....I'd get one of those over dual VTF-2's....it will have much lower extension and a better upgrade path down the road. With two VTF2's...you have to sell and start over to upgrade. Also consider a VTF3.5, not far behind the 15.
That's my plan! I'm still going to get the PSA MTM-210T's for my birthday in June. This system will be a great restart.

On top of the 2 HB-1's and a HC-1 i got off craigslist, i scooped a Denon X2500H and the VTF-15H to run it all. My wife jsut gave me the go ahead to order a sweet TV for downstairs too
bear123 likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
VTF15.2.....I'd get one of those over dual VTF-2's....it will have much lower extension and a better upgrade path down the road. With two VTF2's...you have to sell and start over to upgrade.
Not according to HSU themselves.

As to two of those "not being enough" that may be true for a tiny percentage of bass heads but not for the vast majority of AVS members.

The idea that you need dual proted 15s or 18s to "start" having the "true" bass experience is pure nonsense.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Here ya, but coming from no bass the VTF-15H is gonna be amazing in general. i woke up and impulse bought the VTF-15H this morning

Heck yeah man. I had a PSW505 before and i thoguht it was cool, but it's been a while now so this thing is gonna BLOW MY MIND

They're MK2

That's my plan! I'm still going to get the PSA MTM-210T's for my birthday in June. This system will be a great restart.

On top of the 2 HB-1's and a HC-1 i got off craigslist, i scooped a Denon X2500H and the VTF-15H to run it all. My wife jsut gave me the go ahead to order a sweet TV for downstairs too
Congrats, looking forward to your impressions.

I hope you made a cardboard cutout of the subwoofer's size.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Congrats, looking forward to your impressions.

I hope you made a cardboard cutout of the subwoofer's size.
I did some quick measurements but I'm not too worried about the size, looking forward to it tbh cuz it's been a long time coming. It'll fit in the corner I have for it upstairs temporarily until I finish putting stuff together in the basement. I plan on rocking that **** for or Thanksgiving party - having 16 people over
bear123 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I did some quick measurements but I'm not too worried about the size, looking forward to it tbh cuz it's been a long time coming. It'll fit in the corner I have for it upstairs temporarily until I finish putting stuff together in the basement. I plan on rocking that **** for or Thanksgiving party - having 16 people over
You are going to blown away as you likely know!

Congrats.

My sister in law has an earlier version of the lowly VTF1 and even it was might impressive in sound and build quality.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page