Home Theater n00b needs speaker help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Home Theater n00b needs speaker help

I've been researching here and on various other sources for quite some time in order to try and get a handle on my home theater project. Unfortunately I feel like I'm no closer to knowing what sort of speaker selection I should utilize. I'm also hoping to try and grab some deals as we approach the holidays.

For background, we are finishing out a bonus room that will also have a 110" projector screen at one end of the bonus room. The bonus room is quite long and rectangular but this "theater" portion will only be in about the first 1/3 (approximately 200 sq ft) of the room. This bonus room is an open, rectangular layout. There is no drywall installed yet and we have already wired up speaker wiring, HDMI, and electrical wiring through studs. My intention is to use in-wall LCR speakers around the screen as I like the cleaner look of in-wall units. I also don't have to worry about in-wall speaker leak-through as this bonus room is above a garage.

My intention for a receiver is to use the Yamaha TSR-7850 which I'll be purchasing from Costco. I also intend to use a 7.1 or 7.2 setup and have already purchased four Yamaha NS-IC800 8" speakers for the ceiling area just in front and just behind the seating area. The seating area is about 14' away from the projector screen.

My desire is to have LCR speakers that will provide clear audio for talking in movies. It's probably on the low end of the spectrum but I'd say my budget for the LCR's is probably around $500 to $800. Honestly I'm leaning towards just using some Polk 265-RT's for the left and right and a Polk 255C-RT for the center, but I'm also concerned about going too cheap and not getting the clear audio that I'd like.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Revel in walls would be a much better choice IMO and they fit under budget.

You could definitely do three W383’s across the front with the help of a dealer.
IslaTurbine likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7481 Post(s)
Liked: 5708
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaTurbine View Post
For background, we are finishing out a bonus room that will also have a 110" projector screen at one end of the bonus room. The bonus room is quite long and rectangular but this "theater" portion will only be in about the first 1/3 (approximately 200 sq ft) of the room. This bonus room is an open, rectangular layout. There is no drywall installed yet and we have already wired up speaker wiring, HDMI, and electrical wiring through studs. My intention is to use in-wall LCR speakers around the screen as I like the cleaner look of in-wall units. I also don't have to worry about in-wall speaker leak-through as this bonus room is above a garage.
Best would be using an AT (acoustically transparent) screen so that you can put 3 identical bookshelf or tower speakers behind it, ideally with a false wall as in pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT screen with 3 towers behind.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2644084   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT screen with 3 towers 2 subs behind.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2644086  
elusiveis and IslaTurbine like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately an ATS isn’t in the plan as I may need to be using an ALR or similar type of screen due to ambient lighting constraints in the area. If an ALR ATS exists, I’m sure it would probably blow up my budget.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9390 Post(s)
Liked: 6473
Quote:
I've been researching here and on various other sources for quite some time in order to try and get a handle on my home theater project. Unfortunately I feel like I'm no closer to knowing what sort of speaker selection I should utilize. I'm also hoping to try and grab some deals as we approach the holidays.

My intention for a receiver is to use the Yamaha TSR-7850 which I'll be purchasing from Costco. I also intend to use a 7.1 or 7.2 setup and have already purchased four Yamaha NS-IC800 8" speakers for the ceiling area just in front and just behind the seating area. The seating area is about 14' away from the projector screen.

My desire is to have LCR speakers that will provide clear audio for talking in movies. It's probably on the low end of the spectrum but I'd say my budget for the LCR's is probably around $500 to $800. Honestly I'm leaning towards just using some Polk 265-RT's for the left and right and a Polk 255C-RT for the center, but I'm also concerned about going too cheap and not getting the clear audio that I'd like.

Thoughts?
Three Revels..

Two W263 for left/right and one W253L for center runs $650 at Crutchfield. Even less with New Audio United.
IslaTurbine likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #6 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

How about recommendations for a sub?
post #7 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 475
For sub check Rythmic, HSU, Monolith THX subs, and SVS. RSL has a nice 10" sub but doesn't go as low as the rest.

Or DIY Most bang for the buck. Lots of choices.
Check the DIY section if you have the means to cut wood etc.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

Your sub budget would be good to know.

If low budget then this refurbished Infinity R12 is decent.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity...SABEgL7rPD_BwE
post #8 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies. Sub budget would be $300 or less.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This Klipsch is on sale at best buy for $249. Should work well

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
post #10 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting that you post that as I was just looking at that sub. The specs (and price) seem to favor the Harman just a tad, no? Refurb doesn’t bother me.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Infinity is a good sub and probably has the edge on the Klipsch. A few users here have them and really like em.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Interesting that you post that as I was just looking at that sub. The specs (and price) seem to favor the Harman just a tad, no? Refurb doesn’t bother me.
I'd get the Klipsch.

The (Infinity) SUB R12’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3-dB point is at 31 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 26 Hz.

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...kmlMD3ScFXG.99

The one Klipsch subwoofer review I found from the same source actually had the Klipsch sub, (the R8SW), perform better than its specs and it had quite flat frequency response vs the Infinity.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...iew-test-bench
IslaTurbine likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pioneer SW-8MK2 sub? Someone else has recommended getting two of those instead of one Klipsch. Their opinion is that is was a much better bang for the buck purchase to get a solid 7.2 setup.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3295 Post(s)
Liked: 3193
Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Pioneer SW-8MK2 sub? Someone else has recommended getting two of those instead of one Klipsch. Their opinion is that is was a much better bang for the buck purchase to get a solid 7.2 setup.
Skip the Pioneer sub, all 2 of them

Go Infinity or Klipsch, even if you start with 1 sub
IslaTurbine likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #15 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 01:44 PM

I would also look at the JBL Studio 550P sub -- on sale
https://www.jbl.com/SUB+550PBK.html?...gaAl23EALw_wcB
IslaTurbine likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #16 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I would also look at the JBL Studio 550P sub -- on sale
https://www.jbl.com/SUB+550PBK.html?...gaAl23EALw_wcB
I bit the bullet and grabbed two of these.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I bit the bullet and grabbed two of these.
Real good choice -- good call

----------------
Who AM I
post #18 of 19 Old 12-10-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

One more gut check needed. I have two of the JBL 550P’s but have found two Elac Debut DS10.2 for a good price. My in-wall LCR’s will be Elac as well. But I’m thinking of sticking with the JBL subs as they appear to be a fair amount more powerful than the smaller Elac’s. Thoughts as it pertains more towards home theater use as opposed to regular music listening?

I know in a perfect situation I’d try them out side by side but I don’t have that luxury right now. FWIW, I was going to go with the Revels for in-wall LCR’s but found a great deal on Elac D61 for LR and DC51 for the center.

Last edited by IslaTurbine; 12-10-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
One more gut check needed. I have two of the JBL 550P’s but have found two Elac Debut DS10.2 for a good price. My in-wall LCR’s will be Elac as well. But I’m thinking of sticking with the JBL subs as they appear to be a fair amount more powerful than the smaller Elac’s. Thoughts as it pertains more towards home theater use as opposed to regular music listening?

I know in a perfect situation I’d try them out side by side but I don’t have that luxury right now. FWIW, I was going to go with the Revels for in-wall LCR’s but found a great deal on Elac D61 for LR and DC51 for the center.
The 29lb Elacs are 100 watts and ported with 35hz extension spec the 50lb JBLs are 300 watts and sealed with 28hz extension spec.

JBL and Elac sub reviews have shown neither are prone to "fudging" on their specs.

All things being equal a ported sub offers 40 percent higher SPL potential but here the JBL has three times the power so I'd keep the JBLs.
IslaTurbine likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page