Kef Inwall Speakers - Need help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Kef Inwall Speakers - Need help

I don't know much about speakers and I am hoping to get some help here. I recently upgraded my home theatre system and even after spending decent amount of money, I am still not quite happy with how everything sounds. I think there is some clipping with sound and at times, the subwoofer doesn't sound right as well. Do I need to get a new receiver and/or amp? My room size is approx 15x15

LCR - Ci4100
4 Height Speakers - Ci200QR
Surround - Ci160TS
Dual SVS SB-2000
Onkyo NR787
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-22-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 816
I couldn't find if the Onkyo has any kind of room correction, do you know if it does? Those 4100 have 3 4" drivers, kind of small but they should be fine as long as you're not cranking them too loud. Do you have a pic of your setup? You don't happen to have a mic you can measure the response with in REW? That would be the biggest help because subjective terms of sound quality are kind of hard to help on but the first thing to experiment with is the crossover frequency, I'd try 80-100-120Hz to see if there are any big differences.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-22-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
I couldn't find if the Onkyo has any kind of room correction, do you know if it does? Those 4100 have 3 4" drivers, kind of small but they should be fine as long as you're not cranking them too loud. Do you have a pic of your setup? You don't happen to have a mic you can measure the response with in REW? That would be the biggest help because subjective terms of sound quality are kind of hard to help on but the first thing to experiment with is the crossover frequency, I'd try 80-100-120Hz to see if there are any big differences.
Crossover was set by as per the recommendation from someone from svs. I will try changing the crossover and see if it makes a difference. I spoke to someone from KEF yesterday and they recommended to buy a new receiver since onkyo 787 is only 100w. I have a one sub in the front and another one in the back of the room. Onkyo came with audyssey so I do have a mic. I am not sure what KEW is.

Crossover
CI4100 70
CI 200QR 50
CI 160ts 120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Crossover was set by as per the recommendation from someone from svs. I will try changing the crossover and see if it makes a difference. I spoke to someone from KEF yesterday and they recommended to buy a new receiver since onkyo 787 is only 100w. I have a one sub in the front and another one in the back of the room. Onkyo came with audyssey so I do have a mic. I am not sure what KEW is.

Crossover
CI4100 70
CI 200QR 50
CI 160ts 120
Ok well 100W is plenty but the problem is it's hard to know how much it's putting out with all channels driven. I think the bigger issue is the integration with mains and subs, not all agree with this but I think your mains and surrounds should all be the same crossover, this is so your bass is seamless around the room. 80Hz is the absolute lowest I would go and I think you might like it better at 100Hz or so. Are you subs in the corners? 1 in the front left/right and other in the opposite rear corner? That would be a good start. I don't know if you can use an Audyssey mic with REW, if it's USB you should be able to but it's a free software that you can use to see your response in your room, with Audyssey you don't really know what it's doing.

With REW, you could compare crossovers to see what blends the best. WIthout it you can still do it you'll just have to go off your ears and what sounds the best.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-22-2019, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Ok well 100W is plenty but the problem is it's hard to know how much it's putting out with all channels driven. I think the bigger issue is the integration with mains and subs, not all agree with this but I think your mains and surrounds should all be the same crossover, this is so your bass is seamless around the room. 80Hz is the absolute lowest I would go and I think you might like it better at 100Hz or so. Are you subs in the corners? 1 in the front left/right and other in the opposite rear corner? That would be a good start. I don't know if you can use an Audyssey mic with REW, if it's USB you should be able to but it's a free software that you can use to see your response in your room, with Audyssey you don't really know what it's doing.

With REW, you could compare crossovers to see what blends the best. WIthout it you can still do it you'll just have to go off your ears and what sounds the best.
Thanks.. I am going to try changing the crossover to 100 and see if it helps. One of the subwoofer is located in the front left inside the cabinet and the other one is located in the back on the right hand side. I will look into buying a mic and researching REW. thanks so much for your help.
aarons915 likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-22-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2837 Post(s)
Liked: 4324
What is your listening level for movies and how far are you from the speakers?
post #7 of 12 Old 11-25-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
What is your listening level for movies and how far are you from the speakers?
Distance is approx 10-12 feet away. I like to watch at a loud volume 70 or so.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-25-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Distance is approx 10-12 feet away. I like to watch at a loud volume 70 or so.
Volume 70 doesn't hold any meaning that others will understand. I recommend you setup your AVR to list volume in terms of reference level....so -20 would be 20 dB below reference, -10 would be 10 below, 0 would be reference level(very loud).
post #9 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Volume 70 doesn't hold any meaning that others will understand. I recommend you setup your AVR to list volume in terms of reference level....so -20 would be 20 dB below reference, -10 would be 10 below, 0 would be reference level(very loud).
I will set it to ref level
post #10 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yamaha 2080 is on sale on amazon and I am getting a good deal on yamaha 3080 from a local store. Should I go with 3080 for my setup or save some money and buy 2080? Please help
post #11 of 12 Old 11-27-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yamaha 2080 is on sale on amazon and I am getting a good deal on yamaha 3080 from a local store. Should I go with 3080 for my setup or save some money and buy 2080? Please help
Not that familiar with Yamaha's AVR's so no idea. Hardly any power difference so you just have to look closely at all the features and see if any matter to you if any are different.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-28-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Crossover
CI4100 70
CI 200QR 50
CI 160ts 120
I am a KEF dealer and design/build theaters for a living, so I have some insight to lend.

Whoever told you to do that at SVS is a goofball and just saying nonsense stuff to send you on a wild goose chase to get you off the phone - or, they have no idea what they're talking about in relation to your equipment. Here is how to fix your bass....

- With those speakers, SET THEM ALL TO 80hz or "small". This is a no brainer. Since you have subwoofers, that is the correct setting from Dolby per original AC3 design/coding.

- The idea of "reference" volume with those speakers should have never been mentioned and is irresponsible & reckless with your hearing and equipment as the receiver is going to not have enough headroom to pull that off effectively, nor can the speaker system. Unless you have a very very small room, that speaker setup (as a system) cannot play THAT loud without damaging them and/or sounding horrific.

Breaking that down further...

The fronts you have are very nice speakers and, if properly powered and in the correct sized room, can be a great front stage. Those are fine for your room size.
The in-ceilings you have can do similar as above.
The in-walls are your weakest link (speaker wise), and are going to struggle in comparison to the other models you have.

- The receiver is just ok, unless you really want to get very very loud in that room. But, honestly, if you were going for that... you have the wrong speakers to start with. Changing the receiver probably won't result in a significant change unless you have something seriously setup wrong and a new one is going to come without those settings messed up... or, as mentioned above, you are trying to go too loud and are clipping the amp and you're hearing that distortion.

Going by your dimensions, your room is a square.... the kiss of death for sound. That physical issue is #1 problem and will make things, especially bass, hard to get perfect. Try this process below....

- Put a subwoofer at your main listening position and crawl around the room. Where the bass is best, that is where you put the first one. Do the exact same thing for subwoofer number 2. THIS will give you the best placement.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by PrestigeAudio; 11-28-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers