Sonus Faber Venere vs. Others - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By N.REED

post #1 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Sonus Faber Venere vs. Others

My wife and I like the design of the Sonos Faber Venere speakers but I can't really find how their sound compares to other speakers in their price bracket. We are concerned that on their cheaper lines of speakers which we can afford, all the money went into the design that the speakers won't be that good. The Venere line, which looks like it recently ended and has some models being sold off cheaply. Does anyone actually recommend these speakers. How would they compare below if you have experience with any of them.

Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 or 2.0 bookshelves vs. Kef LS50, Revel M105, M106, Focal Chora, Arai, Monitor Audio Silver, Dynaudio Emit or Evoke etc.

Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, 3.0, or S Floor standers against Revel F36, F206, Forcal Chora Ara, Ascend Acoustic Towers, Kef Q750, ELac Uni-Fi UF5, etc.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1510

I’ll only comment on what I’ve heard, but the Sonus Fabers I heard were very dark (could be interpreted as warm) and laid back. Not a super lovely presentation and were missing quite a bit of detail.

The Ascend towers, dare I say, are much closer to perfection. They have a balanced sound from their flat listening window, much better quality bass, which even extends lower than the much larger Sonus Faber towers, a smooth sound all the way throughout the audible range. Not much to complain about. The midrange came off as a little strong when compared to something like their Sierra 2Ex which are also great speakers, but their midrange is tipped down just a bit, so that makes sense.

The Revel Performa3 would be the closest thing to the Ascends, but the Kef Q series is out of its league. Recently the Sierra 2Ex beat out the much better and more expensive Kef R3 in a blind test.

I can’t comment on the Focals, but many people like them. I think someone has a thread going comparing the Aria 936’s and the Sierra Towers.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I’d listen if you could... hence everyone seems to love the ls50’s . I opted for the dynaudio excite x14’s over them. Just saying its a preference but really try to hear them first. Glad i did..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 550
IMO, Sonus Faber makes outstanding speakers, including the Venere line. If they are on sale since they are being replaced, grab them. Of course, go listen to them since only you can determine which sound best to you. For music especially, you can't beat Sonus Faber (they are very musical, and very detailed). Depending on your budget, I would go with any of the floor standers.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #5 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 55
One thing is for sure, most other speakers are not in the same league aesthetically.

I know some people don’t care, but looks are important - especially if the speakers being compared are close in performance...

C8 65” LG OLED, Anthem MRX720, ATI 1505 multichannel amp, APPLE 4K TV, DIRECTV, Dynaudio Contour 30, Contour 25c and Contour SR, JL Audio e112 (2)
post #6 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
IMO, Sonus Faber makes outstanding speakers, including the Venere line. If they are on sale since they are being replaced, grab them. Of course, go listen to them since only you can determine which sound best to you. For music especially, you can't beat Sonus Faber (they are very musical, and very detailed). Depending on your budget, I would go with any of the floor standers.
Sonus Faber makes beautiful speaker cabinets but I don't care for the way they sound and some of the measurements I have seen show they are not neutral.

Look at Revel for good sounding speakers that measure well and have very nice cabinets.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 11-27-2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Sonus Faber makes beautiful speaker cabinets but I don't care for the way they sound and some of the measurements I have seen show they are not neutral.
I disagree. Which is why it is so important for everyone to go listen for themselves. What one person likes, another may not.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #8 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
You are welcome to disagree with me, you like they way they sound, I don't. I prefer speakers that measure flat on and off axis. I haven't seen any Sonus Faber speaker measurements that look that way. I have not heard their entire line of speakers or seen measurement data for all of them, but I worked in a high end store that sold them, so I have heard a few of them and read some reviews that have measurements.

Listen to as many options as you can but look at measurements if you can find them and think it matters, I think they do.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post

Look at Revel for good sounding speakers that measure well and have very nice cabinets.

I think the Revels are great, but not comparable in the looks department

C8 65” LG OLED, Anthem MRX720, ATI 1505 multichannel amp, APPLE 4K TV, DIRECTV, Dynaudio Contour 30, Contour 25c and Contour SR, JL Audio e112 (2)
post #10 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3112 Post(s)
Liked: 2900
The only way to know what you like is to listen. Some folks like cold analytical speakers, others like warm musical speakers. What do you like? The only way to truly know is to listen to as many speakers as you can. Cull the "herd" down to a couple of options, then demo in your home. Any other process invites a mistake and money not well spent.

Make yourself up a demo list and listen to each speaker using the same list at the same volume (download a dB meter to your phone if doing it by ear is intimidating). Try to use a wide variety of music, male and female vocals, live club, large orchestral, something bassy (like the Count).

The process is an iterative one. First learning what is is you like in a sound signature, then finding speakers that fulfill those criteria. Speakers are a very individual choice.

Here's one opinion:

https://www.whathifi.com/sonus-faber/venere-s/review

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-28-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.REED View Post
I think the Revels are great, but not comparable in the looks department

Looks are actually subjective. Sound isn’t.

I happen to think they don’t look all that great, especially that model.

Meanwhile, Revel makes speakers that measure flat on axis that will score higher in blind tests when compared to speakers that measure up like these Sonus Fabers.

Looks change a lot of how we perceive sound. Look at the speaker cable and interconnect industry.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #12 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Looks are actually subjective. Sound isn’t.

I happen to think they don’t look all that great, especially that model.

Meanwhile, Revel makes speakers that measure flat on axis that will score higher in blind tests when compared to speakers that measure up like these Sonus Fabers.

Looks change a lot of how we perceive sound. Look at the speaker cable and interconnect industry.

Right. Looks change how we perceive sound. Exactly.

Revels sound good. They measure great in anechoic chambers. What happens if you place those speakers in a very dead room and cut the room correction off at a lower frequency? Point being that different rooms will influence the sound a lot.

They are not the end all be all of HiFi. Other good speakers exist.

They spend lots of money and time designing speakers that appeal to blind listeners in controlled tests. Understood. I often wonder if those blind listeners are volunteers off of the street, or are people who are in the industry or professionals who listen to speakers for a living.

I like the Revel sound. I also like how many other speakers sound.

I don’t care for how they look, which is subjective. But I think more people than not would agree that the SFs look nicer.

Last edited by N.REED; 11-27-2019 at 07:35 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thanks everyone. Unfotunely, I don't have the chance to listen to any that are in my budget and would need to order them online. There is one dealer by me who carries Sonus Faber speakers but they only have the higher end models that start at $8K. The pair they played sounded great to me, however, I don't know if the sound would be nearly as good in my budget and without the super nice front end they had hooked up to drive them. From what I can tell, the lower end speakers that I can afford (Venere Line) are made in China where the higher lines are made in Italy. I would hope that with being a premium brand who also is a part of McIntosh, Sonus Faber would have pretty high minimum standards and even their cheaper speakers would be quality.

I guess I will need to try to find some of the measurements for the speakers. I think the measurements could indicate if too many corners were cut in their cheaper lines.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuilder View Post
Thanks everyone. Unfotunely, I don't have the chance to listen to any that are in my budget and would need to order them online. There is one dealer by me who carries Sonus Faber speakers but they only have the higher end models that start at $8K. The pair they played sounded great to me, however, I don't know if the sound would be nearly as good in my budget and without the super nice front end they had hooked up to drive them. From what I can tell, the lower end speakers that I can afford (Venere Line) are made in China where the higher lines are made in Italy. I would hope that with being a premium brand who also is a part of McIntosh, Sonus Faber would have pretty high minimum standards and even their cheaper speakers would be quality.

I guess I will need to try to find some of the measurements for the speakers. I think the measurements could indicate if too many corners were cut in their cheaper lines.

Look at their Sonetta line. Made in Italy and replaced the Veneres. Still affordable.

RayGuy likes this.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuilder View Post

The one thing that may be an issue with the SFs is the WTW design on their center speakers if anyone in your audience will be sitting close to the center speaker and off axis much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page