Help with speakers for dedicated media room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By OldMovieNut
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By richard12511

post #1 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with speakers for dedicated media room

Hi

I am a newbie. I am building dedicated media room 15' x19'. Ceiling 10'.

Will be watching mostly movies.

No windows in media room.

Thinking of 2 rows of seating.

Screen size 120' - 150'

Would stream (I guess will need 4K compatible Roku, Fire TV and Apple TV) and use blu ray player.

Please help me decide -
Wall color.
Ambient light.
Seating distance.
Projector to screen distance, or placement possibility. I am thinking of overhead projector.

I have seen various packages from different vendors.

Can you help me choose one or even modify a package or create a new one.

The packages are as follows:

AWESOME VALUE THEATER
Enjoy the theater experience at home with a huge 110” projection screen. This theater features Klipsch Reference audio and an Epson Pro series 4K E-shift projector (free bulb and mount) and controlled with a universal remote. This includes a professional install for a pre-wired room. There is a lot of quality here for the money.
$5499

A STEP UP
This theater is the same great Klipsch Reference audio from package one but with added video quality with the upgrade to a custom hand built 120“ Slate screen from Screen Innovations giving you better contrast and color. Audio is upgraded to Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2. These are worthy upgrades to any theater package.
$7999

NO COMPROMISE THEATER BEST SELLER
This is our favorite one to sell simply because it hits a budget level that most people love but doesn’t fall short in performance. Here we add HUGE floor standing Reference speakers from Klipsch in Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2 and an Epson Pro 4K E-shift projector. This theater was designed to meet a budget but truly not compromise anywhere. It’s perfectly balanced in performance and budget.
$9997

THE GOOD STUFF
Now for the good stuff where we start getting into some real audio gear . This theater adds Audiophile grade speakers from Focal. Rock your room with clean tight musical sound from the Focal speakers and deep, perfect bass from JL audio …simply the best in subwoofers. The HUGE 133” Slate screen from Screen Innovations and 4K E-shift from Epson. This is a special system that has both Audio and Video upgrades that you won’t want to change for decades. You can even add an audiophile amp to the system to power the fronts if you want more power for your movies or music listening sessions. We thought of everything here to get you the best bang for the buck with luxury names.
$13999
------------------------------------------------------------------

$11K:
JVC PROFESSIONAL DLA-RS1000 REFERENCE SERIES 4K D-ILA PROJECTOR
(1) SCREEN INNOVATIONS 5TX120SL12 120" SLATE 1.2 WITH LED
(1) DENON AVR-X2500H HOME THEATER RECEIVER
(2) KLIPSCH PRO-16RW PRO SERIES 6.5" IN-WALL SPEAKERS
(1) KLIPSCH PRO-25RW LCR PRO SERIES DUAL 5.25" IN-WALL SPEAKER
(2) KLIPSCH DS-160W 6.5" 2-WAY IN-WALL LOUDSPEAKERS
(2) KLIPSCH DS-160CDT DESIGNER SERIES 6.5" IN-CEILING SPEAKERS
(1) KLIPSCH R-120SW REFERENCE 12" SUBWOOFER
(1) UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL MX-450 IR/RF HARD BUTTON REMOTE CONTROL WITH COLOR LC
ALL REQUIRED MOUNTING HARDWARE AND A/V CONNECTION CABLES

$11K
Screen - Screen innovations 135" series 5 ALR
Projector - Epson 4k PC 6050 (possibly 4050 depends on overall designs and costs)
Speakers - Klipsch CDT in-wall/ceiling or Revel (overall costs). Yours would be 9ch possibly 11 (again depending on design costs)
Subwoofer - SVS 10" Active
Receiver - Marantz
Universal Remote programmed for control
Lighting - Luton Z wave installation for control via phone or remote.
All wiring during construction and installation after move in is included. This includes 2 hour 46 point calibration of audio and video.
This is turnkey deal with only one price ever charged, I don't nickel and dime. Whatever is needed we get and I do.
Lifetime warranty on workmanship and of course honoring all manufacturers warranties.
Surge protection for projector and all electronic equipment in cabinet (clean power protection is included)
No charge for consulting.Nno design fees.
Pull extra wires during the wiring phase to plan for future additions. Those are coiled up in the attic/wall for future use and are out of sight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ther package for $ 8K
Projector
Sony VPLHW45ES 1080P Hi-Definition SXRD Projector

Screen
Stewart Filmscreen Cima Line 100″ Diagonal Screen. 16:9 Format

Speaker System
Paradigm Custom Series CI65IW In Wall speaker
Paradigm Custom Series CIC65R In Ceiling Speaker
Paradigm Cinema Series 200 Center Channel Speaker

AV Receiver
Onkyo TX-RZ620.2 5.2.1 Dolby Atmos Capable Receiver

Bluray Player
Sony 3D Wireless Bluray player, BDPS6700 with 4k Upconversion

Subwoofer
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer

Programmable Remote
Home Theater Master MX780, Programmable learning remote with Color LCD display

RF Receiver
Universal Remote MRF260 RF Receiver

Projector Mount
Chief RPMAU Universal Projector Mounting Bracket

Cables
WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 2 Meter, WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 9 Meter

Power Management
WattBox 10 outlet surge protector

Other package for $16.5K
Projector
JVC DLAX770R, Hi Definition 1080P Projector with E-Shift4 to support 4k

Screen
EF110H-PST Elite Prime Vision Polar Star Edgeless Screen with LED light kit, 110″

Speaker System
Paradigm Custom Home Series CI H65IW 6 1/4″ In Wall Speaker
Paradigm Custom Series CI C65R 6 1/4″ In Ceiling Speaker
Paradigm Millennia LP2 LCR On Wall Center Channel Speaker

AV Receiver
NAD T758V3 7.1 Surround Receiver with 5.1.2 Atmos Capable. 110 watts per channel. With Bluesound.

Bluray Player
Sony 3D Wireless Bluray player, BDPS6700 with 4k Upconversion

Subwoofer
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer

Subwoofer
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer

Smart Home Control Hub
Clare Cliq Mini CLIQ-MOSM-10

Bridge
Clare Controls Ethernet to IR IP2IR-P

Projector Mount
Chief RPMAU Universal Projector Mounting Bracket

Cables
WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 2 Meter, WireWorld Island 7 HDMI 9 Meter

Power Management
SurgeX SX1115RT Power conditioner. Rack mountable, remote on, 15 amps.

You can help me design it from scratch as I have zero knowledge. It's not built yet. You can help me choose package, change the package or create new one.

Budget $10-$12,000 for speakers, screen and overhead projector.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's a lot going on here. First, I'm not a Klipsch fan at all. They are very divisive, but I think there is much better for the money.

The first question: What is your budget. You list systems from 5,500-16,000.

Second question: how much plain audio and how much movie watching (percentages)?

Consider buying used speakers. I'm 57 and bought new speakers once, in my 20s. My current speakers are about 20 years old. You will get a much larger bang for your buck.

Wall colors should be dark. Ambient light can be sconces on a dimmer. Don't forget room treatment.

Seating distance: https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...r&entry_id=784
post #3 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked: 5675
Quote:
Originally Posted by palciparum View Post

If you're in the US, you can easily get a great system for 1/2 or even 1/3 of that budget.

And do NOT allow yourself to get suckered into the "you get what you pay for" salesman's favorite lie...for your room and usage, a $500 pair of speakers can easily provide the same level of enjoyment as a $5K pair. Just don't limit yourself to big brand names you already know that are carried by the big box or boutique stores. Best price to performance ratio usually comes from internet-direct manufacturers OR retail brands that are being clearanced ahead of a new model line update...do NOT be a sucker and pay full retail price at any brick and mortar establishment, and for the love of god do NOT let an installer order the stuff for you, that is the surest way of getting royally ripped off because they'll add THEIR markup to the already heft retail markup.

A couple of general points:
1. Don't fall for snake-oil cables. That's the oldest audio swindle in the book.
2. Don't fall for snake-oil power conditioners. That's the second-oldest one. You just need a decent surge protector, something from Tripp Lite will run you $40-80.
3. Since you're building your own room, see if you can do a false wall with an AT screen, so that you can put 3 identical speakers, vertically aligned, behind the screen for best results. (See photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT screen with 3 towers 2 subs behind.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2647186   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT screen with 3 towers behind.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2647188  

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Contact Triad and at least see what they have to say
https://www.triadspeakers.com/
bear123 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seditious3 View Post
There's a lot going on here. First, I'm not a Klipsch fan at all. They are very divisive, but I think there is much better for the money.

The first question: What is your budget. You list systems from 5,500-16,000.

Second question: how much plain audio and how much movie watching (percentages)?

Consider buying used speakers. I'm 57 and bought new speakers once, in my 20s. My current speakers are about 20 years old. You will get a much larger bang for your buck.

Wall colors should be dark. Ambient light can be sconces on a dimmer. Don't forget room treatment.

Seating distance: https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...r&entry_id=784
My budget is $10-12K

Speakers for media room will be for watching movies 100%.
I plan to get separate in ceiling speakers for living room, master bedroom and patio.

I don’t mind buying used speakers for media room but I have no idea what to buy. Can you recommend brand and Model No what and how many speakers to buy for media room?

Who will install it as I don’t know how to?

Thanks
post #6 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Quote:

If you're in the US, you can easily get a great system for 1/2 or even 1/3 of that budget.

And do NOT allow yourself to get suckered into the "you get what you pay for" salesman's favorite lie...for your room and usage, a $500 pair of speakers can easily provide the same level of enjoyment as a $5K pair. Just don't limit yourself to big brand names you already know that are carried by the big box or boutique stores. Best price to performance ratio usually comes from internet-direct manufacturers OR retail brands that are being clearanced ahead of a new model line update...do NOT be a sucker and pay full retail price at any brick and mortar establishment, and for the love of god do NOT let an installer order the stuff for you, that is the surest way of getting royally ripped off because they'll add THEIR markup to the already heft retail markup.

A couple of general points:
1. Don't fall for snake-oil cables. That's the oldest audio swindle in the book.
2. Don't fall for snake-oil power conditioners. That's the second-oldest one. You just need a decent surge protector, something from Tripp Lite will run you $40-80.
3. Since you're building your own room, see if you can do a false wall with an AT screen, so that you can put 3 identical speakers, vertically aligned, behind the screen for best results. (See photo)
Where do I buy speakers from reliable internet site or clearance

What and how many different speakers including brand model etc to buy to build media room with Dolby atmos

Who will install it for me?

Can someone provide me details or make a package for me with brand name model etc for everything. Thanks a lot.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Someone suggested 7.1.4 Dolby atmos. But I wed to know what receiver what speakers brand model etc
post #8 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Spend your money on speakers. Not electronic. You may have enough budget for Tannoy dual concentric speakers all around. Tannoy makes very good speakers, and the best albums of past decades were mastered with them. For whatever reasons, this brand is not too popular here in the US and you can find very good discounts and closeouts. New in-wall and on-wall Tannoys are going for 25 - 40% MSRP on Ebay.

Last edited by agent.5; 11-29-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Where do I buy speakers from reliable internet site or clearance

What and how many different speakers including brand model etc to buy to build media room with Dolby atmos

Who will install it for me?

Can someone provide me details or make a package for me with brand name model etc for everything. Thanks a lot.
You only need an installer for the in-ceiling Atmos speakers.

With freestanding speakers, whether they be towers or bookshelves on stands, you absolutely do NOT need to pay someone to install or set up---there are tons of online resources including videos that can teach you how to do that yourself, it's hardly rocket science. Anybody with half a brain can do it, it takes maybe 30-45 minutes one time only, a get-set-and-forget-about-it process.

Buy all your cables and interconnects from Amazon using Mediabridge or Monoprice generics, this is all you need.

For your subwoofer I'd go with a Hsu VTF-15H, currently on sale, around $1K shipped.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

For your speakers you can look at RSL if you want everything to be from the same brand, since they make both freestanding and in-ceiling speakers. Call them up. They also give very good advice over the phone, service before & after the sale is excellent. I'd just do CG25 x 3 for your front stage and 2 x CG5 for surrounds.
https://rslspeakers.com/

The receiver, this 9 channel Denon is all you need if you're sure you're going to go Atmos and I would recommend 5.1.4 rather than 7.1.4
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X45...dp/B07GH5GS5T/

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #10 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 4318
For a nice, dedicated home theater for 100% movies, I would absolutely go with some type of high efficiency, home theater oriented speaker. This is the wrong place for low sensitivity, full range hi-fi speakers. You have a chance to do it right the first time here and not start with the wrong tool for the job. I'd look at JTR, PSA, Triad, etc. Contact the companies. JTR might be a little out of budget. Your lack of knowledge is going to be an issue....its not easy to learn all the ins and outs of all the options available and make a well informed decision with absolutely zero knowledge. JBL makes great home theater oriented stuff as well but can get pricey quick.

If you want behind the screen, in wall for surround, in ceiling for atmos, etc, an installer probably makes sense for you, as it doesn't sound like this will be a "plop 5 speakers down" type of setup.

Any company that is recommending an SB12 SVS sub for such a theater and budget, you should run away. Run far away.

I do think it would be worthwhile to contact a knowledgeable, reputable installer. Maybe reach out to The Screening Room @Rex Anderson , Triad @Dawn Gordon ,PSA @Tom Vodhanel , and JTR @Jeff Permanian
post #11 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
For a nice, dedicated home theater for 100% movies, I would absolutely go with some type of high efficiency, home theater oriented speaker. This is the wrong place for low sensitivity, full range hi-fi speakers.
It's just a 15 x 19' room, totally enclosed and he's not indicated that he's looking for ear-splitting reference levels.

Any speakers in the 90db sensitivity range like Ascend 340SE or Klipsch RP series would be plenty, unless he's a confirmed high-volume sound blaster.

PS. Didn't read the $11K packages carefully but you're right, their cheap-and-wimpy subwoofer recommendations are laugh out loud idiotic.
bear123 likes this.

post #12 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 4318
Quote:
It's just a 15 x 19' room, totally enclosed and he's not indicated that he's looking for ear-splitting reference levels.

Any speakers in the 90db sensitivity range like Ascend 340SE or Klipsch RP series would be plenty, unless he's a confirmed high-volume sound blaster.

PS. Didn't read the $11K packages carefully but you're right, their cheap-and-wimpy subwoofer recommendations are laugh out loud idiotic.
Ascend 340's might be getting closer to being a budget priced alternative in a theater with a $10,000+ budget for equipment, but the 5" woofers of the RSL's are like saying you need JBL4722's for desktop speakers. Not even close to the right tool for the job imo.

However, if I were going to spend over $10k on a dedicated theater, I'd have far better speakers than Ascend 340's. They have their place, but I'd recommend bigger and better for the OP.
post #13 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Ascend 340's might be getting closer to being a budget priced alternative in a theater with a $10,000+ budget for equipment, but the 5" woofers of the RSL's are like saying you need JBL4722's for desktop speakers. Not even close to the right tool for the job imo.

However, if I were going to spend over $10k on a dedicated theater, I'd have far better speakers than Ascend 340's. They have their place, but I'd recommend bigger and better for the OP.
The CG25s are 88db sensitive, far from disastrous if you ask me...again it comes back to the user's individual loudness preferences.

Whenever I see complete newbies posting such high budget numbers, I tend to assume that such numbers were suggested to them by some predatory/opportunistic salesperson, reading some ivory tower mercenary audio rag like Stereophile or WhatHiFi which loves to present this hobby as a high dollar one for advertiser reasons, or (equally likely) just a random number they came up with because it "sounds" appropriate relative to their other luxury home expenditures.

post #14 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I consider a pair of servo subs.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/

When it comes to speakers, size does matter. I bet these $70 a pair 8" on sale sounds better than those Klipsch quoted above

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/SP8II-.html?dwvar_SP8II-_color=White-USA-Current

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/SP8...urrent#start=1

Last edited by agent.5; 11-29-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
For a nice, dedicated home theater for 100% movies, I would absolutely go with some type of high efficiency, home theater oriented speaker. This is the wrong place for low sensitivity, full range hi-fi speakers.

What’s ear splitting reference level?

I went to a store and they suggested these packages. $10-12 K is for speakers, receiver, screen, over head projector, labor, wiring etc, the whole package. Hence I came to this forum for advice.

I would appreciate if someone can help me build a package - which speakers to pair with which receiver, projector and screen so that I am not taken for a ride. It’s for watching movies only.

I will take that package and look for someone to install it.

Someone suggested 7.1.4 Dolby atmos for theater like experience. Will that be too much?
post #16 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
What’s ear splitting reference level?

I went to a store and they suggested these packages. $10-12 K is for speakers, receiver, screen, over head projector, labor, wiring etc, the whole package. Hence I came to this forum for advice.

I would appreciate if someone can help me build a package - which speakers to pair with which receiver, projector and screen so that I am not taken for a ride. It’s for watching movies only.

Someone suggested 7.1.4 Dolby atmos for theater like experience. Will that be too much?
Regarding 7.1.4 --- almost all video content is still engineered for 5 channels, so adding 2 extra surround speakers plus paying an extra $500-1000 just to have 11 channels instead of 9 on your receiver is a dumb move IMO. Person who suggested it to you was probably a salesman or a home theater geek...most COMMERCIAL theaters are not even Atmos set ups, and most non-geek-hobbyists are plenty happy with a simple 5.1 or 5.2 system to be honest. So, be skeptical of wild claims and utopian standards.

Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone or tablet. See how many decibels you prefer to listen at. Most people are in the 65-75db range. "Reference level" means 85db and up...this is uncomfortably loud for most people, but is favored by the few diehards who are trying to simulate a movie theater experience...you know, most movie theaters are painfully loud, but the enormous amount of space (mainly, the 30ft ceilings) makes it much more tolerable than a home environment with typical 8-10ft ceilings and far less cubic feet.

Projector and screen, I'd say spend no more than $2K tops...$1000-1500 is plenty, and lots of folks are perfectly happy with 1080p PJs in the $500-800 range. Be wary of all the "latest and greatest must-have game-changer" sales gimmicks.

If you can do an acoustically transparent screen that would be the best way to go, pay a carpenter to build a false wall so you can put 3 identical dual woofer bookshelf speakers behind it on stands, like Ascend 340SE or Chane A2.4 ... the cost of the labor is more than made up for by the money saved by speakers that sound great but don't offer super-pretty cabinets, plus the positioning of the speakers (which is ESSENTIAL) will be pretty much optimal.

If you want ONE person to do all the homework for you and buy everything and install everything for you, of course you can do that, if you want to pay through the nose for it, to the tune of $11K for a so-so sound system as you have listed.

You've gotten plenty of suggestions so far, invest an hour or two googling them up and deciding for yourself. So, what you need to weigh is this: how lazy are you, vs. how much money do you want to keep in your pocket? The choice is yours.

Last edited by Zorba922; 11-29-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I see Klipsch having sale on their website for home theater systems including 7.1

Are these for media room? Will need receiver and in ceiling to make 7.1.4 Dolby atmos

https://www.klipsch.com/home-theater-systems

Any comments?

I also found ready made 7.1 speaker packages with suggestions for receivers

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best...heater-systems

Any comments? Thanks.

Last edited by palciparum; 11-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-30-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
What’️s ear splitting reference level?

I would appreciate if someone can help me build a package - which speakers to pair with which receiver, projector and screen so that I am not taken for a ride. It’️s for watching movies only.

Regarding 7.1.4 --- almost all video content is still engineered for 5 channels, so adding 2 extra surround speakers plus paying an extra $500-1000 just to have 11 channels instead of 9 on your receiver is a dumb move IMO. Person who suggested it to you was probably a salesman or a home theater geek...most COMMERCIAL theaters are not even Atmos set ups, and most non-geek-hobbyists are plenty happy with a simple 5.1 or 5.2 system to be honest. So, be skeptical of wild claims and utopian standards.

Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone or tablet. See how many decibels you prefer to listen at. Most people are in the 65-75db range. "Reference level" means 85db and up...this is uncomfortably loud for most people, but is favored by the few diehards who are trying to simulate a movie theater experience...you know, most movie theaters are painfully loud, but the enormous amount of space (mainly, the 30ft ceilings) makes it much more tolerable than a home environment with typical 8-10ft ceilings and far less cubic feet.

Projector and screen, I'd say spend no more than $2K tops...$1000-1500 is plenty, and lots of folks are perfectly happy with 1080p PJs in the $500-800 range. Be wary of all the "latest and greatest must-have game-changer" sales gimmicks.

If you can do an acoustically transparent screen that would be the best way to go, pay a carpenter to build a false wall so you can put 3 identical dual woofer bookshelf speakers behind it on stands, like Ascend 340SE or Chane A2.4 ... the cost of the labor is more than made up for by the money saved by speakers that sound great but don't offer super-pretty cabinets, plus the positioning of the speakers (which is ESSENTIAL) will be pretty much optimal.

If you want ONE person to do all the homework for you and buy everything and install everything for you, of course you can do that, if you want to pay through the nose for it, to the tune of $11K for a so-so sound system as you have listed.

You've gotten plenty of suggestions so far, invest an hour or two googling them up and deciding for yourself. So, what you need to weigh is this: how lazy are you, vs. how much money do you want to keep in your pocket? The choice is yours.
Thanks for the reply. I plan to buy speakers, overhead projector and ATS in my own.

Now I need to find carpenter and someone to help me install the system who won’t mess it up? That will be difficult part.
post #19 of 24 Old 11-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I plan to buy speakers, overhead projector and ATS in my own.

Now I need to find carpenter and someone to help me install the system who won’t mess it up? That will be difficult part.
I found word of mouth from friends is great way to find craftsmen. Let's face it,everyone has a "guy"they go to. If not,try Angie's list. Always get three estimates,and also get references. Sounds like a fun project!
post #20 of 24 Old 12-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

The 85 db reference level with 105 db peaks are only for dubbing stages and theaters. Its 78 db in small rooms. I hate it when the high efficiency advocates throw out the 85 db number to insist that you need high efficiency speakers for a HT. They also don't take into consideration the user's requirements. They also tend to grossly overstate the amount of compression that will occur at louder listening levels.

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
Zorba922 likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Download a free SPL Meter app to your smartphone or tablet. See how many decibels you prefer to listen at. Most people are in the 65-75db range. "Reference level" means 85db and up...this is uncomfortably loud for most people
This is really good advice. One issue I see with this is that the level one prefers to listen at depends on the efficiency and power handling capabilities of the speaker they're listening to.

I currently own 3 sets of speakers: Infinity Beta 20, JTR Noesis 210, and Revel M105. The Beta 20s and the M105s sound "too loud" at the levels the 210s sound perfectly comfortable at. My living room is 13' x 19' x 10, but it's also completely open to the kitchen on the left side, so bigger than the OP's room. All three systems are capable of reference level in this room, but the Beta 20s and M105s sound "very loud" at that level. I think most people underestimate the amount of compression/distortion present with most hifi speakers at reference level. It's something you really don't hear until you've heard them side by side with the alternative, at least it was that way with me. I bought the Revels after the JTR's, but I lived with the Infinity 5.1 system for 7-8 years before I bought the JTRs. I've always listened somewhere around reference level for music and movies, and on the Infinity system, it still sounded awesome, but guests were always asking me to turn it down. When I got the JTRs, it was like a "oh, that's what that's supposed to sound like" experience. The Infinity system sounded great at reference, but it's clear now that those speakers were distorting/compressing, and I just had no idea what I was missing.

So while I agree with "See how many decibels you prefer to listen at", you almost need a set of high efficiency and power speakers to properly determine that. Running that test on my JTRs would lead to completely different level than running that test on the Infinity or Revels. Running this test on typical hifi speakers isn't likely to lead to a "true" result.

I'm not sure what PSA return policy is. Do they have a demo period? Maybe someone with those type of speakers in the OP's area he could demo? If you have a good IMAX theater close by, maybe taking an SPL meter in there for perspective would be a good idea?

The other issue I see with this is that you can't just listen for a few minutes each at various levels to determine what you like for movies. Your ears will attenuate quite a bit over the course of a 2hr movie. What sounds good at first will probably be too quiet by the end of the movie. What might sound too loud at first might sound perfect by the end of the movie. You need to watch a good action movie at 75db in its entirety, rewatch the same movie at 85db, and then determine which viewing you enjoyed more.

I like you pointing out that one doesn't need to spend 10-12k(or anywhere near that) to get truly outstanding sound. Always good to save money if you'll be perfectly happy spending less. I think it depends on the person, though. I started with a $500 budget, lived with that for a year, moved to a $1,200 budget for 7-8 years, then I moved on to the JTRs. I bought the Revels for a smaller 2 channel system in my office, and I'm already looking at eventually getting either Salon 2s or M2s for my ultimate 2 channel system. I'm the kind of person that compromises based on price, only to eventually buy the true version of what I really wanted. I would have been better off just buying Salon 2s from the beginning.

10-12k is a lot to spend for a true "newbie". You might be perfectly satisfied with a 2-5k system and anything beyond that might be a waste. Or, spending too little now might lead you to doing what I did and spending more in the long run. What kind of person are you OP? Also, what sort systems have you heard? I wouldn't definitely spend some time trying to find systems to listen to before spending that kind of money on your first system.

If you really find that you want to spend that much money, I think you absolutely need to budget for 2 or more quality subs. It's more important than rear or side speakers imo. You might be able to swing a JTR system with that budget, but it would definitely be cutting it close. A good PSA system would definitely be within your budget. I've never heard PSA speakers, but they're as efficient as JTR and get great reviews here.

Last edited by richard12511; 12-01-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
I'm not sure what PSA return policy is. Do they have a demo period?

10-12k is a lot to spend for a true "newbie." Or, spending too little now might lead you to doing what I did and spending more in the long run.
PSA used to have free return shipping, but discontinued it after too many people were abusing it. They still have a trial period of course, like all internet-direct companies.

I did a similar upgrade path with my mains...went with $300-500/pair speakers for over a decade, then earlier this year sprang for some $1500 ones. My usage is about 90% music and 10% HT, and for music the quality difference is much more noticeable...and yet, as much as I do enjoy these much more expensive ones, I am not 100% sure I would still have bought them if I could do it all over again. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but I find that the 500% increase in budget resulted in maybe a 20% increase in noticeable improvement when used with a sub, and maybe 30-40% without the sub...and by all accounts, a 20-40% increase is exceptional, most folks say they only get around 10-20%.

So you're spot-on to ask of the OP, "What kind of person are you?"

It could be that I'm just an incorrigible cheapskate, lol.
richard12511 likes this.

post #23 of 24 Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
PSA used to have free return shipping, but discontinued it after too many people were abusing it. They still have a trial period of course, like all internet-direct companies.

I did a similar upgrade path with my mains...went with $300-500/pair speakers for over a decade, then earlier this year sprang for some $1500 ones. My usage is about 90% music and 10% HT, and for music the quality difference is much more noticeable...and yet, as much as I do enjoy these much more expensive ones, I am not 100% sure I would still have bought them if I could do it all over again. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but I find that the 500% increase in budget resulted in maybe a 20% increase in noticeable improvement when used with a sub, and maybe 30-40% without the sub...and by all accounts, a 20-40% increase is exceptional, most folks say they only get around 10-20%.

So you're spot-on to ask of the OP, "What kind of person are you?"

It could be that I'm just an incorrigible cheapskate, lol.
My parents retired a couple years ago and just built their retirement home this summer. I gave them the Revels in July to put in their new master bedroom. When I went up there last week for thanksgiving, they hadn't even hooked them up. I was really bummed, but my mom said they had forgotten because the $200 LG soundbar that they had "sounds great" . Indeed, everyone is different, and there's no need to spend thousands of dollars for something that won't increase your happiness.

PS: I hooked the Revels for them on Friday, and they both acknowledged that it sounded much better.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #24 of 24 Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
PS: I hooked the Revels for them on Friday, and they both acknowledged that it sounded much better.
The $64,000 question will be a month or two from now, if you go back to their house, somehow took out the Revels and hooked the soundbar back up without telling them...would they notice if they didn't know/see it?

AVS consensus would be a resounding "yes!" of course, but I'd be curious to put it to the test myself on some ordinary, non-enthusiast folks someday.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page