How would you spend $2000 to $4000? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By callas01
  • 1 Post By joxr
  • 3 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How would you spend $2000 to $4000?

It's time for some new floor standing fronts and center with sub. The room is fairly large at over 22' x 30' and high ceilings. All tile and 20' of sliding glass doors. I have a Denon AVR 4800 - an older model that is rated at 125W/ch. We spend more time in theater mode but I pay more attention to sound quality in stereo mode. I was planning to replace the fronts, center and sub. Some good deals on SVS subs today.
Auditioning many speakers isn't easy where we live. We typically sit 15' from front wall and would like a wider sound stage as both my wife and I enjoy the 'sweet spot'. Previously I was able to find posts on speaker rec's for different price points but I'm having a hard time finding them today. Many of the speakers I listen to at stores like Best Buy sound too bright to me, I'd prefer a softer tweeter. How would you spend $2000? Does spending a little more offer significantly better sound? I see a lot of positive reviews of Elac Debut 2 but they seem too affordable to be real.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Probably go $1000 for two PB12-NSD’s.

Use the Denon.

$3000 for a pair of Revel F36’s and C25 Center.

Even cheaper with a dealer to discount it.

So you could possibly end up with $1000 for a nice steak dinner to enjoy with your new setup.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2870
If you have some good headphones, you can try out the speaker compare app at Crutchfield. For non-bright, non-fatiguing speakers, look at Wharfedale and ELAC. Another option is the Chane "A" series. You'll probably want to avoid lines like Klipsch, Polk, and Paradigm, or any speakers with a horn or metal-dome tweeter.

All that glass is going to create problems for you unless you have a nice thick curtain or fabric shades to cover it. Avoid plastic, wood, or metal coverings.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-29-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1895
Look at Emotiva. T1 and T2's close-outs
post #5 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Hard to beat the Revel Concerta2 series speakers (Revel F36’s and C25 Center).
post #6 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Buy some heavy blinds/curtains and a thick rug for the glass and floor, high ceiling could lead to echoing

Keep the Denon,

I’d skip the towers and get large bookshelf speakers and a center channel, plus a HSU VTF3 MK5 or ULS-15 sub over anything SVS,

For speakers... up to your preference but sounds like your room could be lively, so that would mean to me that neutral to laidback would be better in that room then something forward and aggressive.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #7 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked: 4480
A few suggestions for towers:

Revel F36..check with a dealer on this site for pricing
Kef Q950 https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-each/1.html
Focal Aria 926(sale on A4L) https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ut-pair/1.html
PSA MT-210T....much more home theater oriented, very high sensitivity.
Canton Chrono SL-596.2. https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ss-each/1.html

I would try to find a speaker with detailed measurements, as that's the best way to ensure you get a great speaker, or at least purchase from a company with a great track record of well designed speakers that measure extremely well.

You need *A LOT* of sub for that huge space. The PB12-NSD's would be a terrible option IMO as they have very low output above port tune....you will hit their limiters easily in that big space.

The *bare minimum* I'd consider for that space would be a pair of Hsu VTF3.5's. Outside of that, I'd lean towards one larger, more capable sub with the option of adding another someday if you'd like, so you don't have to start over, such as the FV18 from Rythmik
d-rail34 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 11-29-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard good things about the Revels - how do you find a dealer for them on this site?
I'll also look into the Emotivas, I'm not familiar with them.
How does a rear ported tower compare to a forward port? Rear facing ports seem to make placement more difficult.

Brian
post #9 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1885 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
There are a few dealers that sit around on AVS that you can contact for a good deal.

Generally port placement doesn’t matter due to the fact that the output from the port is producing wavelengths that are so long they are essentially omnidirectional.

But if you HAVE to squeeze your towers close to a wall the rear port won’t function properly so front port placement will aid, but not fix the less than optimal placement.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #10 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2931 Post(s)
Liked: 4480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjandmiho View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard good things about the Revels - how do you find a dealer for them on this site?
How does a rear ported tower compare to a forward port? Rear facing ports seem to make placement more difficult.

Brian
Concerning the ports, I'll *technically* agree that the rear port close to the wall can be an issue. However, if you are crossing them to subs and eq'ing below Schroeder as you should be doing, this is perhaps meaningless. Any excess energy around port tune from proximity to the wall is going to be eq'd down anyways....and if crossed at 80 there won't be much contribution from the port anyhow. Also, a benefit of a rear port is that it masks potential port noise vs firing straight towards you. Also, imo, a rear port has a cleaner look than a big hole on the front of the speaker. Now even crossed at 80 Hz, I think you will still get some contribution from the port, so you need a have a few inches clearance from the wall, but I can't imagine this would be a problem for most people(to keep a few inches).

I went through @Rex Anderson for my Revels, but there are a handful of Revel dealers on the sight....browse through the Revel thread and you will see several.......I wish I was familiar with a few more off the top of my head. You can also check to see if you have a Revel dealer locally.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:

Brian
Brian,

I know some dealers on AVS that aren’t as vocal but have great pricing. I see you don’t have enough post to PM so shoot me an email if inclined.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #12 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Probably go $1000 for two PB12-NSD’s.

Use the Denon.

$3000 for a pair of Revel F36’s and C25 Center.

Even cheaper with a dealer to discount it.

So you could possibly end up with $1000 for a nice steak dinner to enjoy with your new setup.
I think this is a really good recommendation, but would take the $1000 and use it for room treatments. If you send a drawing to GIK they will recommend the best treatments for your budget. Brightness is generally a room issue.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:

Brian
I’m with RayGuy, I think I’d avoid the metal and horn loaded tweeters. And stick with soft domes and ribbons.
Ascend, Salk, Dali, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber, to name a few.
RayGuy likes this.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #14 of 20 Old 11-29-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7684 Post(s)
Liked: 5841
Quote:
It's time for some new floor standing fronts and center with sub. The room is fairly large at over 22' x 30' and high ceilings. All tile and 20' of sliding glass doors. I have a Denon AVR 4800 - an older model that is rated at 125W/ch. We spend more time in theater mode but I pay more attention to sound quality in stereo mode. I was planning to replace the fronts, center and sub. Some good deals on SVS subs today.
Auditioning many speakers isn't easy where we live. We typically sit 15' from front wall and would like a wider sound stage as both my wife and I enjoy the 'sweet spot'. Previously I was able to find posts on speaker rec's for different price points but I'm having a hard time finding them today. Many of the speakers I listen to at stores like Best Buy sound too bright to me, I'd prefer a softer tweeter. How would you spend $2000? Does spending a little more offer significantly better sound?
$2K budget:
1. Emotiva T2 towers, $700/pair (originally $1K)

2. Emotiva C2 center, $400

3. SVS PB12 x 2 = $1000
(if you dislike the Batmobile looks of the Emotivas, substitute Chane A5.5 towers with A2.4 center, similar price range or less with Black Friday bundle discounts)

or if you have space for only one sub:
Hsu VTF-15H sub, about $990 shipped

The Chanes are quite neutral; the Emotivas will be neutral with a hint of warmth.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #15 of 20 Old 11-30-2019, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked: 3247
Revel, Focal Aria, Canton Chrono SL series

----------------
Who AM I
post #16 of 20 Old 11-30-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9544 Post(s)
Liked: 6585
Quote:
Auditioning many speakers isn't easy where we live. We typically sit 15' from front wall and would like a wider sound stage as both my wife and I enjoy the 'sweet spot'. Previously I was able to find posts on speaker rec's for different price points but I'm having a hard time finding them today. Many of the speakers I listen to at stores like Best Buy sound too bright to me, I'd prefer a softer tweeter. How would you spend $2000? Does spending a little more offer significantly better sound? I see a lot of positive reviews of Elac Debut 2 but they seem too affordable to be real.

Thanks,
Brian
Do you live near any of these folks?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping but not always on towers
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 20 Old 12-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Budget $4k. I'm also in the market to replace what I have today: Alex Jones Pioneer 5-speaker setup (plus two Atmos add-on speakers on top of the two fronts). I was considering the SVS Ultima 5-speaker setup with 4 Prime Elevations and two SVS PB12-NSD subs.

I just received SVS subs about a week ago.

Do I go with the SVS setup to have all SVS or do I get the 4 Prime Elevations with the Focal Aria setup on sale at Adorama right now? My listening is done from a separate receiver and Kef LS50s so this will be almost 100% for HT.

Interested in some thoughts from fellow audiophiles. This system will be all I get for some time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzub View Post
Budget $4k. I'm also in the market to replace what I have today: Alex Jones Pioneer 5-speaker setup (plus two Atmos add-on speakers on top of the two fronts). I was considering the SVS Ultima 5-speaker setup with 4 Prime Elevations and two SVS PB12-NSD subs.

I just received SVS subs about a week ago.

Do I go with the SVS setup to have all SVS or do I get the 4 Prime Elevations with the Focal Aria setup on sale at Adorama right now? My listening is done from a separate receiver and Kef LS50s so this will be almost 100% for HT.

Interested in some thoughts from fellow audiophiles. This system will be all I get for some time.

I went with the full Svs ultra setup and I’m very happy with them. I did towers instead of bookshelves.
tryzub likes this.

post #19 of 20 Old 12-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7684 Post(s)
Liked: 5841
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzub View Post
Do I go with the SVS setup to have all SVS or do I get the 4 Prime Elevations with the Focal Aria setup on sale at Adorama right now?
Focal Aria over SVS all day long.
RayGuy, tryzub and sigpig like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks to you both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page