DCM TFE100 Floorstanders - Very good sound and dirt cheap right now - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuzz View Post
curious for myself. why are they "closeout" prices? why are they an outlier?
These DCM TFE and TP series speakers were made in around 2006. Pricedrightsales must have bought a bunch of new old stock, and are selling them at discounted (closeout) prices vs. the original MSRP. For example, the TFE100 MSRP was $800/pair, and Pricedrightsales is selling them for $250/pair.

IMO, at least based on my experience with the TFE100, they were a good value at their MSRP, so a tremendous value at the Pricedrightsales prices.

The TFE60 price is not as much of a deal vs. the original MSRP, although the couple folks on this thread really like them and consider them a great value.

If they dropped the TFE60 price to a similar fraction of MSRP, they would be ~$160/pair (vs. the current $225/pair)...and I would have already snagged them for another pair of speakers I don't need. I mean the 30 year Polk Monitor 7Cs in my garage can't last forever, right?

-
Lp85253 likes this.

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.

Last edited by adam2434; 02-10-2020 at 04:58 PM.
adam2434 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,944
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5719
My tfe60's and tp160 are on the way!
Bedroom setup will be full DCM, can't wait!
Now if somebody would just buy my def techs lol
zieglj01 and Abraxxas like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #243 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 7,572
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3483 Post(s)
Liked: 5316
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
My tfe60's and tp160 are on the way!
Bedroom setup will be full DCM, can't wait!
Now if somebody would just buy my def techs lol
Now you should contact Jeff at JTR and put an Orbit Shifter in your bedroom. This would make you, by far, the coolest guy on AVS.
subacabra and Deaf-Forever like this.
bear123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #244 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
jsb75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I would have really liked to take another shot at the tfe100’s . But the seller kinda implied that for both speakers to be defective something is happening after there shipped out, and if the next ones are defective they will not honor a return or refund. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way, the email made it sound like he thought I was full of it. Wonder if my issues were before he realized that there’s a good chance that a bunch of those speakers are no good
jsb75 is offline  
post #245 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Member
 
GordonGekko99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
These DCM TFE and TP series speakers were made in around 2006. Pricedrightsales must have bought a bunch of new old stock, and are selling them at discounted (closeout) prices vs. the original MSRP. For example, the TFE100 MSRP was $800/pair, and Pricedrightsales is selling them for $250/pair.

IMO, at least based on my experience with the TFE100, they were a good value at their MSRP, so a tremendous value at the Pricedrightsales prices.

The TFE60 price is not as much of a deal vs. the original MSRP, although the couple folks on this thread really like them and consider them a great value.

If they dropped the TFE60 price to a similar fraction of MSRP, they would be ~$160/pair (vs. the current $225/pair)...and I would have already snagged them for another pair of speakers I don't need. I mean the 30 year Polk Monitor 7Cs in my garage can't last forever, right?

-
2006, a long time to be sitting around in a warehouse.
GordonGekko99 is offline  
post #246 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko99 View Post
2006, a long time to be sitting around in a warehouse.
they have been produced *since * 2006 and just recently were discontinued..they haven't been sitting in a warehouse since anywhere near that long for most if not all units..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #247 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,944
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Now you should contact Jeff at JTR and put an Orbit Shifter in your bedroom. This would make you, by far, the coolest guy on AVS.
Lol Bear! Well I'm contemplating getting dual s3612 iPals to replace my s3601's in my main setup so maybe I'll save an s3601 for the bedroom!
Although the Rythmik lv12r holds its own up there I must say.
subacabra is online now  
post #248 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,944
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5719
Not to mention I'm totally new to these speakers and thread. I stumbled upon this searching for best bookshelf speakers for my bedroom setup.
For the price I figured I'd give them a try and so far I am not disappointed!
I feel like these are a hidden little gem, not just the TFE100's but the whole line.
This coming from someone running all PSA and diysg speakers in my main setup.
zieglj01 and Lp85253 like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #249 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Not to mention I'm totally new to these speakers and thread. I stumbled upon this searching for best bookshelf speakers for my bedroom setup.
For the price I figured I'd give them a try and so far I am not disappointed!
I feel like these are a hidden little gem, not just the TFE100's but the whole line.
This coming from someone running all PSA and diysg speakers in my main setup.
ziegl's only motive is his ears.. they need a change every couple of months.. i wish i lived near him , i'd be wearing a path to his door to grab his cast off sets.....edit : i take that back , i woulda quit after i snagged his revel's
zieglj01 and subacabra like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #250 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Member
 
GordonGekko99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
if your referring to Ziegl... he is a longtime hobbyist with no known preference brand wise.. about a weeks worth of looking at old threads would clear up any other notion...
I don't want to take any perceived or actual shots against Ziegl, I deleted my original post, if you can delete my quotes in your response I would appreciate it.

And for the record I believe Ziegl is on the level.
Lp85253 likes this.
GordonGekko99 is offline  
post #251 of 371 Old 02-10-2020, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko99 View Post
I don't want to take any perceived or actual shots against Ziegl, I deleted my original post, if you can delete my quotes in your response I would appreciate it.

And for the record I believe Ziegl is on the level.
completely fair... Ziegl is a good guy and deserves the benefit of the doubt...he does get juiced about a good speaker though

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #252 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,310
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
they have been produced *since * 2006 and just recently were discontinued..they haven't been sitting in a warehouse since anywhere near that long for most if not all units..
Bingo!
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #253 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 06:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My only skepticism is from him literally popping up in any DCM thread on the internet and him being very into them as if he is the company owner, lol.
Jash Plash is offline  
post #254 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,310
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash Plash View Post
My only skepticism is from him literally popping up in any DCM thread on the internet and him being very into them as if he is the company owner, lol.
Not an owner of the company, and never made one penny on any speaker that was sold -- I do not even know the personal name of the owner of PriceRight sales.

People can buy them or not buy them -- life goes on for me.
Lp85253 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #255 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,460
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash Plash View Post
My only skepticism is from him literally popping up in any DCM thread on the internet and him being very into them as if he is the company owner, lol.
You haven't been here long enough to say such things!! He has helped countless folks with great advice including myself and I have a great sounding system because of that and do own DCM's too. I can vouch for their great price/performance ratio. You are new and seem to be getting into things with longtime members. Is there an issue you have with AVS members?
zieglj01, Lp85253 and drh3b like this.
cocrh is offline  
post #256 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,210
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2481 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
You haven't been here long enough to say such things!! He has helped countless folks with great advice including myself and I have a great sounding system because of that and do own DCM's too. I can vouch for their great price/performance ratio. You are new and seem to be getting into things with longtime members. Is there an issue you have with AVS members?
i think the "Mr. Plash" may be getting the gist of things.. .. i can understand his cynicism..*but it is misplaced .. hopefully he will understand

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #257 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekko99 View Post
2006, a long time to be sitting around in a warehouse.
Hmmm, not for a speaker that was made in 2006. I don't know how the time could be shorter, without some type of warp in space-time.

Seriously, I don't know how many years these DCM TFE and TP speakers were in production (maybe a few years?). Mine might have been made in 2005 or 2006, but who cares? I knew these were an old/discontinued series going in. They are inexpensive speakers at closeout prices, they sound good for the money, and Pricedrightsales seems to be taking care of those with damaged speakers. Really not much risk at all here.

Having been around the block with dozens of new, closeout, and used speakers over the last 30 years, buying new old stock speakers from 2006 from a reputable seller is a lot less risky than other speaker purchases I've made over the years.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #258 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Member
 
ziol3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seeing how this thread has taken a turn, I'll just throw more fuel on the fire ->


My TFE60s and TFE100s sound better, to me, than my Polk LSiM703s, Infinity R162, Sony Cores, and Boston Acoustics A25 and M25s....


Make that what you will but the TFEs have replaced my entire living room LSiM setup. Though I will say - the bass heaviness is real. Originally set x-over to 60 and was VERY heavy. Changing to 90 to 100 seems to have helped a ton.
ziol3x is offline  
post #259 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This line of DCM speakers was initially released in 2006, they didn't make one batch and then quit. A friend of mine owns a mobile/home audio store and became a dealer for them after seeing them at a show somewhere that year and carried them for a number of years, which is where I ended up with most of mine. There are plenty of them that were manufactured more recently than 2006. I just sold my 2 TB1212 subs to a buddy at work for his first theater setup and he loves them, they are at least 10 years old and still rock hard. I have never had a problem with any of mine.
zieglj01 and Lp85253 like this.
Abraxxas is offline  
post #260 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziol3x View Post
Seeing how this thread has taken a turn, I'll just throw more fuel on the fire ->


My TFE60s and TFE100s sound better, to me, than my Polk LSiM703s, Infinity R162, Sony Cores, and Boston Acoustics A25 and M25s....


Make that what you will but the TFEs have replaced my entire living room LSiM setup. Though I will say - the bass heaviness is real. Originally set x-over to 60 and was VERY heavy. Changing to 90 to 100 seems to have helped a ton.
Wow, you like the TFEs more than LSiMs! Curious about what you like better about the TFE presentation?

And yes, I've also commented about the TFE100 bass heaviness...and I'm also crossing them over at 100 Hz in our gym system. Running them full range, I think they would need a lot of distance from walls to not sound bass heavy (or maybe some bass reduction via tone control or EQ).

I'd like to give the TFE60 a spin too, but have several other pairs of bookshelf speakers in stock and not being used.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #261 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pete7874's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,359
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
And yes, I've also commented about the TFE100 bass heaviness...and I'm also crossing them over at 100 Hz in our gym system. Running them full range, I think they would need a lot of distance from walls to not sound bass heavy (or maybe some bass reduction via tone control or EQ).
Would plugging the port help?

Granted, I'm sure it's just easier to apply higher crossover instead, if you're using an AVR.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
__________________________________________________
Samsung UN55B7100  Denon AVR-S740H  Chane A2.4  Dayton MK402X  Premier Acoustic PA120  Roku Premiere Plus  Squeezebox Classic  CCA
Pete7874 is offline  
post #262 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,310
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziol3x View Post
Seeing how this thread has taken a turn, I'll just throw more fuel on the fire ->
My TFE60s and TFE100s sound better, to me, than my Polk LSiM703s, Infinity R162, Sony Cores, and Boston Acoustics A25 and M25s....

Make that what you will but the TFEs have replaced my entire living room LSiM setup. Though I will say - the bass heaviness is real. Originally set x-over to 60 and was VERY heavy. Changing to 90 to 100 seems to have helped a ton.
Continue to enjoy your new audio adventure

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #263 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Good grief! I cant believe how wound up some people get over a set of speakers that cost less then 300.00 bucks! I'm a full fledged kool-aid drinker. I took @zieglj01 's recommendation to try a set of the ultra "cheap" TP series speakers out after coming here looking for recommendations for speakers in the 1K range. They sound great! I see the TFE series are having some, probably shipping, heartburn and that's a real bummer. All one has to decide is, if I stay out of the bar for 2 nights (1 for some of us) and use the money for a set of speakers, and don't like them, will life cease to exist? Or did I do my liver a favor and got some speakers that sound darn nice as well as saving myself money to go to my fancy wine addiction? These speakers are real. If you need to spend thousands of dollars to get the "right" sound that's perfectly fine. I'm not sure there is a need to come in here and question those that think they were worth every penny spent, and care to pass that info along to those that ask. I own a set of TP260's with the matching center. The LR are great. The center is almost great. I want more center output so that's a personal preference, not the speakers fault (I'm running the center +6dB currently). I'm deaf in one ear and cant hear out of the other so I need a little more output. (Thats a joke, just in case) The TP260's will rock with a bit of power and stay clean. Too clean for a 200+ pair of speakers in my opinion. Its a very small roll of the dice and the repair is apparently pretty easy for a result that sounds to be even better then the TP series I have. Feeling lucky, punk? I haven't looked if the TP260's are still available. I think the 160's are. Go that route and get a sub as I haven't heard any issues there. Or get out your wallet and spend more money and probably get better sound. I'm glad I rolled the dice. Thanks again to all that helped me out. You dirty buggers have saved me over two thousand dollars so far. How dare you!
Lp85253, subacabra, drh3b and 1 others like this.

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150

Last edited by Deaf-Forever; 02-11-2020 at 05:58 PM. Reason: grammar, always grammar, and fat fingered typing..
Deaf-Forever is online now  
post #264 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 19,310
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf-Forever View Post
G I haven't looked if the TP260's are still available. I think the 160's are. Go that route and get a sub as I haven't heard any issues there. Or get out your wallet and spend more money and probably get better sound. I'm glad I rolled the dice. Thanks again to all that helped me out. You dirty buggers have saved me over two thousand dollars so far. How dare you!
The DCM TP260 are still in stock

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is offline  
post #265 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 06:41 PM
Member
 
GordonGekko99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf-Forever View Post
Good grief! I cant believe how wound up some people get over a set of speakers that cost less then 300.00 bucks! I'm a full fledged kool-aid drinker. I took @zieglj01 's recommendation to try a set of the ultra "cheap" TP series speakers out after coming here looking for recommendations for speakers in the 1K range. They sound great! I see the TFE series are having some, probably shipping, heartburn and that's a real bummer. All one has to decide is, if I stay out of the bar for 2 nights (1 for some of us) and use the money for a set of speakers, and don't like them, will life cease to exist? Or did I do my liver a favor and got some speakers that sound darn nice as well as saving myself money to go to my fancy wine addiction? These speakers are real. If you need to spend thousands of dollars to get the "right" sound that's perfectly fine. I'm not sure there is a need to come in here and question those that think they were worth every penny spent, and care to pass that info along to those that ask. I own a set of TP260's with the matching center. The LR are great. The center is almost great. I want more center output so that's a personal preference, not the speakers fault (I'm running the center +6dB currently). I'm deaf in one ear and cant hear out of the other so I need a little more output. (Thats a joke, just in case) The TP260's will rock with a bit of power and stay clean. Too clean for a 200+ pair of speakers in my opinion. Its a very small roll of the dice and the repair is apparently pretty easy for a result that sounds to be even better then the TP series I have. Feeling lucky, punk? I haven't looked if the TP260's are still available. I think the 160's are. Go that route and get a sub as I haven't heard any issues there. Or get out your wallet and spend more money and probably get better sound. I'm glad I rolled the dice. Thanks again to all that helped me out. You dirty buggers have saved me over two thousand dollars so far. How dare you!

Think about it, when dealing with tower/floor stander speakers, especially if you have multiple stairs, it is not so much the money, but heck who wants to throw away $250, it is an annoyance to return them, and the other thing, has anyone dealt with FedEx Ground, why in God's name does any Ebay seller use that service.

If these things were on clearance at Best Buy, I doubt there would be this many posts on the topic but buying speakers on Ebay is not fun.
jebuzz likes this.
GordonGekko99 is offline  
post #266 of 371 Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Member
 
ziol3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post
Wow, you like the TFEs more than LSiMs! Curious about what you like better about the TFE presentation?

And yes, I've also commented about the TFE100 bass heaviness...and I'm also crossing them over at 100 Hz in our gym system. Running them full range, I think they would need a lot of distance from walls to not sound bass heavy (or maybe some bass reduction via tone control or EQ).

I'd like to give the TFE60 a spin too, but have several other pairs of bookshelf speakers in stock and not being used.

-
Sure! My take is as follows. I had the 703s as my LCRs for my setup (the Sony Cores were my surrounds). I never really did any AB testing or anything when I got them, I just assumed they were better than my Boston M25s I had so I just threw them in. Figured I hadn't bought anything for my living room in 5 years, and saw people saying the TFE was better than the JBL 5 series, so I figured why not. Let's see.

When they arrived I was curious if they really were these giant slayers so I put them side by side in my living room and started playing around for the weekend. Never did AB testing before, and no, I know it's not scientific, because even a few inch difference in a room can change the sound signature, but still figured I may as well try something. Switching back and forth through out the days, in pure direct, with the spl meter in hand, the differences though were quite interesting.

Listening to jazz, things like Brecker Bros, Dave Brubeck, Mingus and the like, the LSiM703 was crazy detailed in terms of mouth noise on the sax, fingers on the fretboard, etc. They REALLY were absolutely eerily strange to listen to in that regard. It was really cool, definitely a "WTF wow" moment when I heard a voice actors saliva mouth noise front, loud, and center in an anime scene with these speakers when AB testing some anime scenes. But everything felt... Flat. lifeless really.

Even pianos felt hollow when put next to the full body piano sounds the TFE were producing. I put on some orchestral music, some video game music, and like... To put it lightly, you didn't feel anything. Powerful vocals that were rich and filling the room with the TFE just kinda felt 'there' with the Polks. Almost filtered, thats how lifeless it felt. The speaker lacked any sort of dynamical range in my room it was like. It was odd. It was like most sterile speaker that wasn't commanding me at all. When any sort dynamical movement happened, it just happened and didn't move me at all. Musical build ups lacked anything as everything just sounded similar without any change or dynamics.

The TFE 60s, and obviously 100s on the other hand when the timpani drum or anything with range struck, it would fillllll the room with energy and power. Like there was still a hint of that detail that the LSiMs had, it just wasn't up front and in your face like those, but it was still there, which made me happy, but these had a more commanding presence in my room.

I kinda summed it up to a friend as the LSiMs felt like I was in the studio with the Pat Metheny, behind the glass, with a pencil on my ear looking at numbers. The TFEs felt like I was at the Blue Note in NYC with Pat Metheny jamming in front of me. And since this is a setup for games, movies, and music, I figured the highly detail, with lack of any body or richness in the sound, of the LSiMs just didn't work for me like the TFEs.

In the end I definitely see the purpose in the LSiMs. I guess thats why people say they are very treble heavy and have a harsh treble and upper mid range? I guess that is what might lead to that "detail rich" but lacking rich sound. After doing the side by side I did poke around online and boy do a lot of people complain about the treble and upper ranges of the Polks. Really this is just one of those personal sound signature things.

Though you made me drag out a 703 from the computer room and put it in the living room to test it again. Played The Praetorium Theme from Final Fantasy XIV and yeah.... yeah no, the LSiM703s in my living room do NOT do that any justice at all. It's almost comical how tame it sounds.
zieglj01 and Lp85253 like this.
ziol3x is offline  
post #267 of 371 Old 02-12-2020, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziol3x View Post
Sure! My take is as follows. I had the 703s as my LCRs for my setup (the Sony Cores were my surrounds). I never really did any AB testing or anything when I got them, I just assumed they were better than my Boston M25s I had so I just threw them in. Figured I hadn't bought anything for my living room in 5 years, and saw people saying the TFE was better than the JBL 5 series, so I figured why not. Let's see...
Cool, what matters is your ears in your room with your source material.

-

5.1 and 2.0 ch: Marantz AV7704/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Audiosource Amp Three x 2/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage and Dayton IO655 on patio. 2.1 ch: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2. 2.0 ch: Outlaw 975/Outlaw M2200 x 2/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED. 2.0 ch: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3. Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
adam2434 is offline  
post #268 of 371 Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 AM
Member
 
jebuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
whats the best DCM speaker?



the TP260 is priced at $260/pair vs TFE100 at $250?

good speaker brands: Revel, Power Sound Audio (PSA), Ascend, KEF, Emotiva, JBL, Tekton, SVS, Definitive Technoogy (DefTech), Paradigm, MartinLogan, Bowers & Logan, Klipsch (safe V shaped audio).

good subwoofer brands:
Rythmiks, HSU, SVS, PSA, Outlaw
jebuzz is offline  
post #269 of 371 Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,944
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked: 5719
Well look what showed up today
Lp85253 and cocrh like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #270 of 371 Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
David Biagas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf-Forever View Post
Good grief! I cant believe how wound up some people get over a set of speakers that cost less then 300.00 bucks! I'm a full fledged kool-aid drinker. I took @zieglj01 's recommendation to try a set of the ultra "cheap" TP series speakers out after coming here looking for recommendations for speakers in the 1K range. They sound great! I see the TFE series are having some, probably shipping, heartburn and that's a real bummer. All one has to decide is, if I stay out of the bar for 2 nights (1 for some of us) and use the money for a set of speakers, and don't like them, will life cease to exist? Or did I do my liver a favor and got some speakers that sound darn nice as well as saving myself money to go to my fancy wine addiction? These speakers are real. If you need to spend thousands of dollars to get the "right" sound that's perfectly fine. I'm not sure there is a need to come in here and question those that think they were worth every penny spent, and care to pass that info along to those that ask. I own a set of TP260's with the matching center. The LR are great. The center is almost great. I want more center output so that's a personal preference, not the speakers fault (I'm running the center +6dB currently). I'm deaf in one ear and cant hear out of the other so I need a little more output. (Thats a joke, just in case) The TP260's will rock with a bit of power and stay clean. Too clean for a 200+ pair of speakers in my opinion. Its a very small roll of the dice and the repair is apparently pretty easy for a result that sounds to be even better then the TP series I have. Feeling lucky, punk? I haven't looked if the TP260's are still available. I think the 160's are. Go that route and get a sub as I haven't heard any issues there. Or get out your wallet and spend more money and probably get better sound. I'm glad I rolled the dice. Thanks again to all that helped me out. You dirty buggers have saved me over two thousand dollars so far. How dare you! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Don’t say a word to me about drinking the kool aid!!! Hahaha.... I love these speakers and feel that I got a great value for the amount I paid... my only complaint is that black tfe100s are now back in stock after I was told they were all gone!! I went the cherry route and wish I had a full set of blacks to match the one black tfe60 I bought... oh well.... se la vie

My only reaction to all of this is buy them or don’t... everything isn’t for everyone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36540AE2-0DBA-4FF4-9D74-839FA197F19C_1581619431201.png
Views:	47
Size:	6.29 MB
ID:	2684530  

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || LG UBK80 || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160C TP160s
Vizio M70-D3 || Marantz SR6012 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160C TP260s TP160s
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 & Crown XLI1500 || Panasonic UB420 || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE60 TFE100s TP160s TD822Cs
David Biagas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off