Suggestions for 5.1 home theater set up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dargent0628

post #1 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Suggestions for 5.1 home theater set up

Hi guys, I am a newbie with not much knowledge on the systems. As of now I went to world wide stereo shop and the rep over their has given me this package klipsch front two book shelf speakers $360, one center channel $360, two rear book shelf speakers $360, one sonance sub woofer $280 and denon 2500h receiver $349.99..everything inclusive of taxes it came up to $1790.00. I have seen online this onkyo 5.1 set up without receiver for $699 sksht993thx

Third option is the crutchfield is having svs 5.1 set up without receiver for $999.00
Could you please suggest what should I go for? Any other suggestions better than this is also fine for me.My budget is around $1500-$1800 and I majorly watch movies,sports and play my xbox. I want the best clarity and bass. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3469 Post(s)
Liked: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodvulise View Post
Hi guys, I am a newbie with not much knowledge on the systems. As of now I went to world wide stereo shop and the rep over their has given me this package klipsch front two book shelf speakers $360, one center channel $360, two rear book shelf speakers $360, one sonance sub woofer $280 and denon 2500h receiver $349.99..everything inclusive of taxes it came up to $1790.00. I have seen online this onkyo 5.1 set up without receiver for $699 sksht993thx

Third option is the crutchfield is having svs 5.1 set up without receiver for $999.00
Could you please suggest what should I go for? Any other suggestions better than this is also fine for me.My budget is around $1500-$1800 and I majorly watch movies,sports and play my xbox. I want the best clarity and bass. Thank you all.
You have a few options.
If you just want a one stop shop for an all inclusive 5.1, an HSU hybrid 2 package (Hybrid 3 if you have a larger room or open concept floor plan since subs see the entire open space) comes with a much (by far) better sub than any big box store package. This setup will easily kick your a$$ during the movie. Adding a 2nd sub would take it up another level.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html

Chane A2.4 across the front with A1.5's for surround duty and an HSU sub. Will also sound great and has the potential to play louder if that matters to you. Not the nicest looking speakers, but will sound much better than they look. Website appears to be down at the moment.

There are other excellent options aswell.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. Will these have dolby atmos ? Would a receiver with Dolby atmos is enough to get that feel or do I need to buy special dolby speakers for it. Is Hsu better than klipsch and svs. Sorry for some noob questions .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Also I am not only looking in particular for package. I can go for splits set up with diff brands for my 5.1
post #5 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

How big is your room? How far from your screen do you sit? Are you set on standmount speakers or would you consider towers for the front? Any space/positioning limitations for any of the speakers? How big can the center be? How loud do you listen to movies/music?

Your front LCR and subwoofer are most important and you should spend the majority of your budget there. Surrounds need not be expensive nor even match your LCR speakers--you can save money there. Are you going to mount the surrounds or have them on stands? I would advise getting a receiver with 7.2 capability because you may want to expand down the road.

If the majority of your usage is movies, sports and gaming you should aim for speakers with a more forward presentation and yes, Klipsch has that sound signature. But there are lots of others. If you are set on standmounts you should shop the Crutchfield site, because you can audition speakers in-home (ALWAYS recommended!) with only a $10 return shipping fee. This way you can compare several speakers against one another at really no risk.

For the subwoofer, since you are a big movie watcher you probably want to go ported instead of sealed--more visceral impact. Plan on spending at least $600 or so for quality. If you skimp on the sub you'll just regret it later.

Anyway you can easily put together a fine system with your budget.
alwaller likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

I shop at WWStereo in Ardmore and they also carry SVS. I’d also ask them about KLH. You are in a nice price range to get a quality setup. Look at their website under home theater systems.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650

Last edited by pappaduke; 12-01-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked: 5675
Quote:

You need to pin down WHICH Klipsch speakers the WWS guy quoted you for. They have a "Reference" line which is pretty crappy, and a better "Reference Premiere" line which is less prone to the notorious Klipsch "brightness" tendencies.

The $350 for the Denon receiver is a good deal. I'd pass on the Sonance sub. And I'd steer clear of ANY Onkyo package. Ditto with SVS, they have poor price-to-performance ratio esp. for an internet-direct company...the $999 SVS package is probably for their Prime Sats not bookshelf system, both of which I'd run like hell away from unless you know you like "bright" speakers.

If ordering unheard, the 3 safest (being "neutral" not "bright" or "warm") and highest-value brands IMO would be Chane, Emotiva, and Ascend.

If you want the peace of mind / insurance of having a free return shipping option, look at the Level 3 speakers from HTD, as well as the CG23 from RSL.

For your sub, I'd look at the Hsu VTF-2 or VTF-3 depending on your total cubic feet (include all contiguous spaces not just the listening area); SVS does have the PB-12 on sale for $500 shipped, which is one of their (very few) outstanding values.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #8 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Worldwide stereo guy has given me the quote for these products
Klipsch RP400CE center spkr ebony $330
Sonance i8 impact sub 284.80
Klipsch RP400ME book spks ebony 707.56 for two pairs
Denon avrx2500h receiver 7.2 for 349.00
Total $1772.00
We will be sitting 5 ft away from the screen.
My room is in basement and I am looking for hooking the speakers to walls and I dont want the floor standing ones as it will occupy the space and also out of in ceiling options as I have to make holes. Please suggest me if the worldwide guy option will provide me the best output and sound quality. What I am looking for is the best and quality sound with dolby atmos feature. Thanks again for your suggestions.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Worldwide stereo guy has given me the quote for these products
Klipsch RP400CE center spkr ebony $330
Sonance i8 impact sub 284.80
Klipsch RP400ME book spks ebony 707.56 for two pairs
Denon avrx2500h receiver 7.2 for 349.00
Total $1772.00
We will be sitting 5 ft away from the screen.
My room is in basement and I am looking for hooking the speakers to walls and I dont want the floor standing ones as it will occupy the space and also out of in ceiling options as I have to make holes. Please suggest me if the worldwide guy option will provide me the best output and sound quality. What I am looking for is the best and quality sound with dolby atmos feature. Thanks again for your suggestions.
I know you're only 5 ft from your front, but personally I wouldn't be happy with 4" woofers for home theater. This package:

Chane A1.4 x 4 + Chane A2.4 = $940 +HSU VTF-2 $539 = $1479 (or RSL Speedwoofer, which I really liked! for $399.00 = $1340)

and a 7.2 receiver from Denon or Yamaha for around $300 from Accessories4Less (refurbs but totally reputable/reliable...)

You can also go smaller/less expensive for surrounds. It's great to timbre match, but it's really only super important for the front LCR.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

As I said I am a newbie..is chane a quality sound speakers ..do they come in book shelf and are there any offers now on those system. Do I need yo buy separate dolby atmos speakers for the dolby experience? And I have been seeing this IMAX feature does it have any impact on sound quality. Thank you!
post #11 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
out of in ceiling options as I have to make holes...with dolby atmos feature.
If you can't ceiling, that kind of kills the point of Dolby Atmos. There ARE tower speakers that stick "Atmos modules" on top, to reflect the height sound off the ceiling. I haven't heard those demo'd but feel skeptical as an acoustic engineer. I feel that for movies and gaming the sound priority is:
1) REALLY good L/R
2) Then a good subwoofer
3) Then the center channel
4) Then the surrounds (though to paraphrase what @Dargent0628 said, you can stick inexpensive surrounds in the back which will give a lot more effect than NO surrounds, so maybe this is priority 1.1 like how could you go wrong with these, an AMT tweeter at FORTY DOLLARS a pair and supposed to be decent https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-651).
5) Then another subwoofer! POW! BOW! ZOW!
Expanding past 5.1 to 7.1 and 9.1/Atmos/etc to me makes ZERO sense until the basic 5.1 setup is very very good.

As for other general comments, 3-way center channels avoid "Venetian blind" dispersion hot spots, though they are somewhat more expensive. But if you DO run a center, so much dialog goes there that you don't want to cheap out. Woofers aren't woofers until they are AT LEAST 5" or more like 6.5" really, even if you have a subwoofer it's still better to have size to reproduce midbass well. For the subwoofers, here's another crazy deal
https://www.monoprice.com/search/ind...oofer%2C+Black
At this price, even with shipping, you could stick half a dozen into your room for the price of a "serious" sub. Another big deal is half price
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-120sw-subwoofer
I haven't heard this thing but at least it meets my idea of a sub-12" or larger woofer, and 300+ watts of power. There are other fine subs from Hsu and others, albeit at more of a price which could eat up your budget.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
As I said I am a newbie..is chane a quality sound speakers ..do they come in book shelf and are there any offers now on those system. Do I need yo buy separate dolby atmos speakers for the dolby experience? And I have been seeing this IMAX feature does it have any impact on sound quality. Thank you!
Definitely visit their website. The speakers I listed are bookshelf speakers with really good dynamics. Lots of love for them on this forum. You can search the forums for threads that discuss them. And read reviews.

Yes you need two more speakers for Atmos. Overhead is best but there are Atmos modules that you put on top of your front speakers that "bounce" the sound off your ceiling. I tried it--not impressed at all. I hung two small Polks at the wall/ceiling juncture a couple of feet in front of my listening position. Much much better.

I don't know anything about IMax of THX certification.

You can ask for all the advice in the world but nothing will compare to listening to different speakers to find out what appeals to you. In-home is by far the best place to audition speakers. Crutchfield has a no questions asked return policy and charges only a flat 10 bucks to return any bookshelf speaker. Have fun in your search!
post #13 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked: 5675
Quote:
Chane is excellent bang for the buck and yes they do have bookshelves (A1.5) but they are way too bulky and heavy for wall-hanging, in addition to being rear ported.

Your best bet IMO would be to get smallish SEALED or FRONT PORTED cabinet speakers that are easily wall mountable.

Best options would be:

1. Ascend 200SE x 5, $722 shipped
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

2. NHT SuperOnes x 5, $655 shipped (use BLK19 code to get 25% off)
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/106...t-super-series

or

3. RSL CG23 + 4 x CG3, $740 shipped --- RSL does offer free return shipping so this would be the zero-risk option.
https://rslspeakers.com/products/new...enter-channel/
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-bookshelf-speaker/

For the sub, get a Hsu VTF-2 or VTF-3 depending on your room size (be sure to include all adjacent open spaces, not just the listening area).

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #14 of 18 Old 12-01-2019, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
You can wall-mount the HTD Level Three speakers and center
https://www.htd.com/Products/Speaker...three-speakers

Polk T15 for surrounds -- can be wall mounted
https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T1...IKX0DER&sr=8-3

Add your Denon 2500 receiver

Then pick your sub

----------------
Who AM I
post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Since you are able to go to WWSTEREO I would go back and listen to the speaker brands that they are suggesting. No one here can truly tell you what sounds the best. I don’t knock any speaker brand, but I will mention what sounds good to me. I’ve been shopping there for about 8 years and they will stay within your budget and not be pushy. Highly suggest going in for a demo.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #16 of 18 Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9349 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
You have an EXCELLENT retailer near you in World Wide Stereo so before branching out to hard/expensive to return options for your very first 5.1 system, start there and let your ears decide, not "some guy on the internet."

Klipsch RP are a solid choice but the new JBL Stage speakers would likely work just as well for your needs at a lower cost allowing you to get a better subwoofer which, along with the center, is the most important speaker in a 5.1 system.

A pair of Stage 130s with 5.25" main drivers are for the fronts, a pair of Stage 120s for the rear, add in the dual 5.25" Stage A125c center and you are now at $595 with speakers you can physically return within 60 days for free if not happy.

Add in the SVS Pb12 NSD, (unless the cabinet is too large), for $500 direct from SVS (with free returns if not happy) and you are at $1095.

With the very nice Denon 2500 you are at $1424.

Zero financial risk for you and if not happy with one piece of the pie simply tell us what you did not like and move on from there as WorldWideStereo will continue to have attractively priced options throughout the holiday season BUT get the SVS sub right away, (free returns), as they go FAST as they are only offered once or twice per year as loss leaders.

Here it is compared to the PB1000 from SVS which is always at $500.

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

Geoff A. J., California
post #17 of 18 Old 12-03-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wink

Quote:

My suggestion is to work with Crutchfield specialists and let them advise you on a complete system. Tell them how much you want to spend and let them provide you with the details. You have many years, hopefully, to learn/upgrade your system. You will receive a lot of dubious suggestions on the "best" and what is technically neat but you may not want to go there, yet. Make a baby step and grow with the hobby.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyora View Post
My suggestion is to work with Crutchfield specialists and let them advise you on a complete system. Tell them how much you want to spend and let them provide you with the details. You have many years, hopefully, to learn/upgrade your system. You will receive a lot of dubious suggestions on the "best" and what is technically neat but you may not want to go there, yet. Make a baby step and grow with the hobby.
Elac debut 2.0 speakers, when on sale, offer some great performance at low prices. The Elac 5.2 L/C/R can be found surprisingly inexpensive when on sale. Definitive Technology has some sets with good sound that come in small boxes. ID includes Chane, Emotiva, & Ascend and you can't go wrong with these companies. Great products at reasonable prices. Don't skimp on sub or avr as they will likely do well for you thru several upgrades. You can do well in both these categories for around $500, maybe less if you shop the sales around the holidays. Many, many options and everyone will have opinions, both pro & con about all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page