Front Atmos Speakers in a Large Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-01-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Front Atmos Speakers in a Large Room

Hello! I've visited this forum many times in the past for its helpful reviews, but this time I have a question.

A few years ago I purchased a decent, cheap set of Pioneer speakers (the Andrew Jones series) that included front ceiling-facing Atmos speakers. The set worked well for me, but recently I moved into a larger house. At my last house my TV room had a flat 9' high ceiling. The room my TV is now in opens up to the second floor and has a slanted ceiling - at its lowest point it's 12' and at its highest it's around 15' 6".

Since moving I've noticed that all of my speakers need an upgrade to fill the space. My question is: are front ceiling-facing Atmos speakers even viable in an environment like this? I'm trying to figure out if I should even bother factoring them into my upgrade budget.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by distilld View Post
Since moving I've noticed that all of my speakers need an upgrade to fill the space. My question is: are front ceiling-facing Atmos speakers even viable in an environment like this? I'm trying to figure out if I should even bother factoring them into my upgrade budget.
Not that it couldn't work (never say never....), but it would be way more challenging than a flat ceiling would be, if not impossible to get it to work the way it is intended due to the bounce angles relative to seating relative to the rest of the set up! I myself would not try this approach unless I had a flat ceiling.

Visit the Dolby website if you haven't, and you'd like to know more:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...lby-atmos.html

From one of the Dolby documents available at that link:

Will Dolby Atmos enabled speakers work in my room?

Dolby Atmos enabled speakers can produce an incredibly immersive Dolby Atmos experience in many kinds of rooms. You’ll get the best sound if your ceiling is flat (not vaulted or angled) and made of an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall, plaster, concrete, or wood."

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page