Ar Martin Logan Motions ok for my AV receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ar Martin Logan Motions ok for my AV receiver

Hi forum, I am shopping for an upgrade of my L/C/R in a 5.1.2 surround system.

I am considering the Martin Logan Motion 40s, paired with the Martin Logan Motion 30 Center.

Since these are rated at 4ohm nominal, I am concerned they are not a good choice for my AV receiver which is a Yamaha TSR-7850

When I calledd Yamaha, one rep said, no you can't use 4ohm speakers with this recceiver - then I was disconnected, called back, and a different rep said, yes you can use them as L/R only.

Other stuff I read makes it sound like since speakers impedence load varies by content played and the burden on the receiver will vary based on volume and channels actually being driven, all those things together make this difficult to gauge.

Basically with a budget of ~$2.2k these look good, but if you think they aren't a good match for my receiver, any other suggestions are welcome.

Brak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3470 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakhole View Post

I am considering the Martin Logan Motion 40s, paired with the Martin Logan Motion 30 Center.

Since these are rated at 4ohm nominal, I am concerned they are not a good choice for my AV receiver which is a Yamaha TSR-7850

When I calledd Yamaha, one rep said, no you can't use 4ohm speakers with this recceiver - then I was disconnected, called back, and a different rep said, yes you can use them as L/R only.

Other stuff I read makes it sound like since speakers impedence load varies by content played and the burden on the receiver will vary based on volume and channels actually being driven, all those things together make this difficult to gauge.

Basically with a budget of ~$2.2k these look good, but if you think they aren't a good match for my receiver, any other suggestions are welcome.

Brak
Your AVR can drive them, but will get hotter as the volume rises. You could just get an inexpensive Emotiva A-500/5175 which be more than enough. There are countless speaker options so if you listened to and liked the ML Motion series, don't let Ohm ratings get in your way.
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-5175

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Brak
The first Yamaha rep has integrity,
the second Yamaha rep wanted you to buy a new receiver in a few years,
not realizing the odds that you would switch brands.

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9349 Post(s)
Liked: 6441
Quote:

Brak
Your receiver is just fine and best of all if for some reason you want more power adding an inexpensive outboard amp is easy for the fronts as your receiver has pre outs for that.

While I love my Martin Logan LX16s in my secondary room along with the Motion 8 center, and they aren't hard to drive, a new speaker by Wharfedale offers advantages to Martin Logan as they have larger AMT tweeters and are a 3 way vs 2 way design.

Assuming you have a quality sub and don't mind getting stand mount speakers vs the Motion 40 towers, consider the Wharfedale Evo 4.2s at $1000/pair with $10/box returns within 60 days if not happy from Crutchfield.

Available in 3 finish colors and with the Evo 4.C center you are at a total of $1800 for a front three of 3 way speakers.

While the 4.2s are 4ohm, the center is 6ohm so even less of a total load than the Martin Logans.

If you needed more power the Emotiva A150 stereo amp is $319 with 150 watt/channel into 4 ohms...this is their everyday price should you need to buy one in a month or so.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:

Brak
I've been using Motion 40's and an SLM XL center for over 6 years - no problems. Put one of these on your Yamaha if it gets warm -

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...ar-exhaust-17/

And driving the main L & R speakers with a 2 channel amp is always a good option.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-06-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Your receiver is just fine and best of all if for some reason you want more power adding an inexpensive outboard amp is easy for the fronts as your receiver has pre outs for that.

If you needed more power the Emotiva A150 stereo amp is $319 with 150 watt/channel into 4 ohms...this is their everyday price should you need to buy one in a month or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I've been using Motion 40's and an SLM XL center for over 6 years - no problems. Put one of these on your Yamaha if it gets warm -

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...ar-exhaust-17/

And driving the main L & R speakers with a 2 channel amp is always a good option.
Thanks for the great responses. Not loving the finishes or overall look of those Wharfedales...wish they still did the deep cherry Revas, I'd be all over those - sadly Walnut is in.

Craig (nice name, mine too) - that fan is really cool...pun not intended. Didn't know that was a thing.

The external amp is something I am seriously considering, particularly since these ML Motions and most others I might consider are 4-6ohm rated (like the Aperion Grand towers or the Ascend Sierras). That Emotiva amp looks nice. How do you think it stacks up to this Niles SI-2100? It is on a big sale at Crutchfield.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Thanks for the great responses. Not loving the finishes or overall look of those Wharfedales...wish they still did the deep cherry Revas, I'd be all over those - sadly Walnut is in.

Craig (nice name, mine too) - that fan is really cool...pun not intended. Didn't know that was a thing.

The external amp is something I am seriously considering, particularly since these ML Motions and most others I might consider are 4-6ohm rated (like the Aperion Grand towers or the Ascend Sierras). That Emotiva amp looks nice. How do you think it stacks up to this Niles SI-2100? It is on a big sale at Crutchfield.
I might spend a little more for something like this - http://www.parasound.com/2125-v2.php

A great amp will last many years. Practically forever !
post #8 of 8 Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9349 Post(s)
Liked: 6441
Quote:

Buying from Crutchfield with their excellent inexpensive return policy is always a good idea so give that Niles a try and let us know what you think.

I've use a Niles switcher for decades and found it of high quality and dependability.

Functioned exactly as advertised but the quality of execution was above my expectations.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page