• 1 Post By nodoubt
  • 3 Post By butie120

post #1 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Which JBL center speaker?

Trying to still cash in on the great JBL BF and CM deals. Considering getting the Studio 530's as FLR and looking for best matched center. Question is of the 3 center channels they off which would sound best with this set-up. The three are 520c (dual 4"), A125c (dual 5 1/4") or A135c (6, 3"). I know at regular pricing the 520c is a little more expensive and matches to the 530's Studio line but read that some believe it sounds a little "thin". Since center is probably the most single important speaker I want to get it right. I currently use a Polk set-up all around with big CsI 5 center (dual 6.5") which works great. Would using the Polk not be very good because of completely different design and size? Also can I mix a front JBL sound stage with other manufacturer surrounds or would that be a problem?

TV: Samsung UN65JU7100
AVR: Yamaha RX-V683
Sony UBP-700 UHD, Apple 4kTV, Direct TV
5.1.2 Speakers: Front - Polk RM30, Center - Polk Csi5, Surround and Height (4) - Polk OWM3, Sub - Martin Logan Abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 3183
You can always buy the JBL 520 Center, as it has free return shipping, there is a difference in the quality of drivers over the others -- no one can speak for your ears.

yes, you can use different surround speakers

----------------
Who AM I
post #3 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Plug: I have a single 530 for sale if you are interested. I have 3 matching 530's for L/C/R.

Advice: I believe they have free return shipping so if you don't want my 530 you can always try the 520c and see if you like it and return it if you don't. If you want a beefier center you could go with either of the 6 series centers as both have 6.5" woofers (one has quad 6.5" woofers).

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto400 View Post
Trying to still cash in on the great JBL BF and CM deals. Considering getting the Studio 530's as FLR and looking for best matched center. Question is of the 3 center channels they off which would sound best with this set-up. The three are 520c (dual 4"), A125c (dual 5 1/4") or A135c (6, 3"). I know at regular pricing the 520c is a little more expensive and matches to the 530's Studio line but read that some believe it sounds a little "thin". Since center is probably the most single important speaker I want to get it right. I currently use a Polk set-up all around with big CsI 5 center (dual 6.5") which works great. Would using the Polk not be very good because of completely different design and size? Also can I mix a front JBL sound stage with other manufacturer surrounds or would that be a problem?
The 520c should be just fine with the 530s. It's more the towers that it can't keep up with. Otherwise if you want a really beefy center I would go with the Infinity Reference RC263 over the cheaper JBL Stage models.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcan1 View Post
The 520c should be just fine with the 530s. It's more the towers that it can't keep up with. Otherwise if you want a really beefy center I would go with the Infinity Reference RC263 over the cheaper JBL Stage models.
Agreed. No harm in trying the 520c but I'd go with the largest center you can fit. I used an Emotiva C2 (which I still own) with my 530s and it was a fantastic pairing. I also owned the RC263 and tested it head-to-head with the C2 and for the $160 price it's a no-brainer to pick up and try; had I ordered that first instead of the C2 I likely would have kept it and been very happy, but I prefer the Emotiva just a bit more.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Agreed. No harm in trying the 520c but I'd go with the largest center you can fit. I used an Emotiva C2 (which I still own) with my 530s and it was a fantastic pairing. I also owned the RC263 and tested it head-to-head with the C2 and for the $160 price it's a no-brainer to pick up and try; had I ordered that first instead of the C2 I likely would have kept it and been very happy, but I prefer the Emotiva just a bit more.
Thanks but is there any timbre matching issue with using Infinity (or other mfg) as center speaker with the 530's? How are the 530's strictly for HT use as opposed to music?

5.1.2 Speakers: Front - Polk RM30, Center - Polk Csi5, Surround and Height (4) - Polk OWM3, Sub - Martin Logan Abyss
post #7 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 4204
I have owned the Studio 5's and the 520c is a solid center. I never experienced any compression or distortion from it at spirited levels. With that said, I would take advantage of the offer above on the single 530. The 530 can be oriented on its side if needed and will ensure all matching drivers across the front sound stage.

Theater Room: JBL M2 (3), JBL 708 (4), JBL 705 (4), Lexicon MC-10, 24" DSS subs (2), Dual 18" DIY subs (2), Sony VPL-HW55ES, 127" Seymour 16:9, Oppo

Living Room: Revel 228be, Onkyo TX-RZ1100, Cambridge CXN (v2), cheapo TCL TV.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Here are a couple of inexpensive speakers you should consider. They will both timbre match with your 530s just fine...and they will outperform those little 2-ways you're looking at. (Note: they're on ebay...I have no relationship to the sellers. Just look for LC1s, S-Center, or even better, an EC35 or LC2 if you can find one. They all will give you more performance of power and range, and at a cheaper price. Voicing of JBL consumer speakers has changed VERY little over the years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-LC1-3-W...cAAOSwr-hd1BVa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Studio-...AAAOSwgV1d3ChF

Good luck in your search.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Thanks but is there any timbre matching issue with using Infinity (or other mfg) as center speaker with the 530's? How are the 530's strictly for HT use as opposed to music?
No, you won't run into timbre matching issues with either the RC263 or C2 and the 530s are very good for HT. If that's your only application then you could save some money and go with Infinity R162s instead.
post #10 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
No, you won't run into timbre matching issues with either the RC263 or C2 and the 530s are very good for HT. If that's your only application then you could save some money and go with Infinity R162s instead.
Thanks for the great suggestions. I had forgotten about Infinity's (had them in my car years ago). The Reference 162's are certainly cheap enough and very good driver set-up for a bookshelf but how do they sound compared to JBL 530'2 or even similar Klipsch Reference (or Premiere) bookshelf's? Thank you.

post #11 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 3183
Quote:
How are the 530's strictly for HT use as opposed to music?
The 530 speakers are good for both Music and HT ... the JBL and Infinity and Klipsch have their sound (tone) signature, but none are a loser. It is a matter of preference, and the differences will not be major. Pick a couple and do a personal shoot-out, and pick your winner.

----------------
Who AM I
post #12 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am confused at all the statements on timber matching. The timber will not match on a compression driver speaker i.e. JBL 530 when paired with a ribbon or soft domed tweeter. Whether it matters or it "sounds fine to me" during movies/music is individual preference, but they will not be timber matched. Room correction can get them close to the point many won't care, but we should keep it factual for the OP.

Theater Room: JBL M2 (3), JBL 708 (4), JBL 705 (4), Lexicon MC-10, 24" DSS subs (2), Dual 18" DIY subs (2), Sony VPL-HW55ES, 127" Seymour 16:9, Oppo

post #13 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7436 Post(s)
Liked: 5677
Quote:
Also can I mix a front JBL sound stage with other manufacturer surrounds or would that be a problem?
Zero problem, unless you are in the odd habit of listening to music in upmixed surround mode. Otherwise, for TV/HT use "timbre matching" is just an old wives' tale when it comes to horizontal centers...if you can do 3 identical VERTICAL speakers, bookshelves or towers, that on the other hand does make a difference.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #14 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Zero problem, unless you are in the odd habit of listening to music in upmixed surround mode. Otherwise, for TV/HT use "timbre matching" is just an old wives' tale when it comes to horizontal centers...if you can do 3 identical VERTICAL speakers, bookshelves or towers, that on the other hand does make a difference.
Mixing compression drivers with other high frequencies drivers is far from an "old wives" tale.
Mudslide likes this.

post #15 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Mixing compression drivers with other high frequencies drivers is far from an "old wives" tale.
Either a speaker produces adequate voice clarity, or it doesn't.

Either it does so without unduly coloring the sound, or it doesn't.

Any center speaker that satisfies the above criteria, can go with any L/R speakers---tweeter type is irrelevant.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...if you can do 3 identical VERTICAL speakers, bookshelves or towers, that on the other hand does make a difference.
Quote:
Either a speaker produces adequate voice clarity, or it doesn't.

Either it does so without unduly coloring the sound, or it doesn't.

Any center speaker that satisfies the above criteria, can go with any L/R speakers---tweeter type is irrelevant.
Lets look at both your statements. I assume you agree with the vertical matching because an MTM designed speaker will suffer from comb filtering which colors the sound - true. However, driver material can cause colorization. Aluminum, beryllium, titanium, and in this case, the JBL Studio 5's glass composite Teonex compression driver. They sound different. Based on your last statement all speakers should sound the same if they reproduce the same said frequency. Do they? Where does the crossover come into play? Driver material, driver sizing, and the engineer making the speaker determine where the crossover happens. Now you have more variables. Cabinet construction and resonances can cause audible issues. Center channels do more than just voices. Do you use a center channel? Honestly, I would like to know. Have you ever owned a Studio 5 or another compression driver speaker? Have you mixed that with another speaker that was another driver type. I have owned the Studio 5 and used them in my living room with JBL Studio 2 surrounds at one point. Without golden ears, which I dont have, the difference is apparent. One is compression driver the other is not and neither are made from the same driver materials. Same manufacturer, but very different presentation/coloring.

I understand you are a proponent for nothing really matters as long as it produces adequate sound and its all marketing and "wives tales" from the evil capitalists going after your money or from misinformed enthusiasts with more money to spend than they have sense. I do applaud your efforts to help new people to the hobby. When you took a break they put out an APB looking for you on the Internet You are eagar and willing to answer questions - the forum thanks you. I agree most casual hobbyist/enthusiasts will probably not care if their speakers are decent enough. Many won't care if they aren't decent because it is magnitudes better than TV speakers or a Walmart soundbar. No harm no foul; however, others do care. Making blanket statements because you don't care and think the bulk of this hobby is a waste of money is misleading, not to mention - false.
Mudslide likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 12-03-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #17 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Lets look at both your statements. I assume you agree with the vertical matching because an MTM designed speaker will suffer from comb filtering which colors the sound - true. However, driver material can cause colorization. Aluminum, beryllium, titanium, and in this case, the JBL Studio 5's glass composite Teonex compression driver. They sound different. Based on your last statement all speakers should sound the same if they reproduce the same said frequency. Do they? Where does the crossover come into play? Driver material, driver sizing, and the engineer making the speaker determine where the crossover happens. Now you have more variables. Cabinet construction and resonances can cause audible issues. Center channels do more than just voices. Do you use a center channel? Honestly, I would like to know. Have you ever owned a Studio 5 or another compression driver speaker? Have you mixed that with another speaker that was another driver type. I have owned the Studio 5 and used them in my living room with JBL Studio 2 surrounds at one point. Without golden ears, which I dont have, the difference is apparent. One is compression driver the other is not and neither are made from the same driver materials. Same manufacturer, but very different presentation/coloring.

I understand you are a proponent for nothing really matters as long as it produces adequate sound and its all marketing and "wives tales" from the evil capitalists going after your money or from misinformed enthusiasts with more money to spend than they have sense. I do applaud your efforts to help new people to the hobby. When you took a break they put out an APB looking for you on the Internet You are eagar and willing to answer questions. I agree most casual hobbyist/enthusiasts will probably not care if their speakers are decent enough. Many won't care if they aren't decent because it is magnitudes better than TV speakers or a Walmart soundbar. No harm no foul; however, others do care. Making blanket statements because you don't care and think the bulk of this hobby is a waste of money is misleading, not to mention - false.
Like many AVS folks you are too fixated on ACADEMIC theory, which I suspect biases your listening habits and perceptions.

As I've said before on countless threads, the primary function of a center speaker is DIALOGUE. As long as it's NEUTRAL enough (no inordinate coloration), CLEAR enough, and TONALLY REALISTIC enough, anyone who's not micro-listening to their movies will be more than happy with the center regardless of whether it's the same brand, model line, or driver type.

The other fundamental point is, when watching movies/TV the EYES not the EARS are the dominant sensory input for the vast majority of people who are not hardcore enthusiasts and therefore do NOT micro-listen ... they are too busy enjoying what's happening on the screen to care. Good speakers simply enable and enhance that enjoyment by not blatantly screwing anything up.

Music listening is a different ballgame since it's 100% non-visual (other than personal biases/projections arising from knowing what brand/model speakers you're listening to).

To answer your other questions: yes, I have used dozens of different speakers for centers, some matching some not, some horizontal and some vertical. I currently use a Chane A2.4 center with a cheap pair of JBL Arena 170s in my HT setup; in the past year or so I have used that center with BMRs, before that the Emotiva C1 with BMRs, before that the C1 with "matching" Emotiva B1s, before that the C1s with Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s ...and guess what? ALL of those setups produced similarly satisfying results for HT. Over a decade ago I had 3 x Ascend 340s. There was nothing particularly special about either compared to the others.

No I have not owned JBL Series 5. Perhaps they are indescribably unique, magical god's gifts to audio, unknown to all non-JBL Series 5 owners who are not Floyd O'Toole religionists...so I will concede that I cannot comment on them matching or not specifically.

post #18 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where do you get that the eyes are the predominant sensory input for movies? Why in the world would studios spend millions of dollars on movie soundtracks and scores if it didn't have enormous value. They could triple their profits for goodness sakes. You ought to give them a direct call to inform them of their error You posted a dissertation on your subjective opinion. Thank you. We all know where you stand but that doesn't change objective fact. Driver materials, speaker design, speaker construction, etc color sound. By your own admission, colorization matters but to you only in a L/R stereo musical application - movies dont matter because the eyes are the most important. Your opinion is once again noted. I tell you what. You host a G2G on your system and invite guests over. I will have the same guests over on my system. Movies only since that is your argument. Lets see if they think it matters and if they think the eyes are the predominate sensory experience. People are not overly wowed by the projector and screen in my theater. They only get the goofy grin and adolescent smile when the audio takes them into another world they have never experienced before even at the theater. These same people have been to movies on huge screens but they all leave with similar comments. Wow - I have never "heard" a movie sound like that before. To feel a room pressurize and have a shot gun blast hit you in the chest is something that is very difficult to do in a large commercial cinema. To have things swirl around you in seamless transition from speaker to speaker has to be experienced. Sure, you can argue that is for hard core enthusiasts only. True, but what forum on we on again? My system is not the greatest, and I am not alone or special. There are many, many enthusiasts here who have built incredible systems. It has nothing to do with money, brand, or as you say the Dr Tool followers. One can find amazing performance for bargain prices these days across multiple vendors, shapes, and sizes. However, many have followed tried and true design guidelines that have yielded amazing results. Movies are equally an audio and visual experience. The extraction of that bombastic soundtrack that most never experience is the primary heartbeat here at AVS. Most come here to learn more about the audio piece of moves, not the video portion.
Mudslide likes this.

post #19 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 233
For fear of scaring off the OP with this discussion, I just want to briefly add that I recently bought a GoldenEar SuperCenter XL. It was already broken-in as I am the second owner. My entire current setup consists of JBL Studio 5's, and I've had everything from Monoprice HTIB satellties all around to HTD Level 3's and 2's to BIC FH6's...and I have a sordid history with mixing and matching. Now that my ears are trained to appreciate some sonic characteristics among different brands, I can say that a horizonal center (specifically the SuperCenter XL) does NOT pair well with the Studio 590 towers I have as L/R. The SuperCenter has a noticeably different sound (even with dialog), and that might be because I'm used to the 590's that have been up for most of this year.

Zorba helped me out a few years ago when I was starting out and sweating the idea of a mix-matched LCR. He talked me down form the ledge and ultimately I was fine - and even happy with - a varied front stage. But now? GoldenEar is no slouch of a brand, but it just doesn't work with the JBL towers. When playing a video game (in this case, Aassassin's Creed Odyssey) that has LOTS of dialog that is constantly moving around you, voices carry across the LCR and you can just tell that there's a different sound from L to C to R and vice-versa. The voices almost seem to be more present in the GoldenEar, perhaps more "full"? It's hard to describe, but this isn't a bad thing in of itself! I'm also not saying that the JBL's are coloring the audio in a negative way...they just have noticeable sonic signatures that do take you out of that scene or moment, even if only for a brief second. It should be noted that the two brands are using entirely different everything, from tweeters to woofers to crossovers.

Before the SuperCenter, I was employing a phantom center since the 3rd tower I want to use as my dedicated center channel is too big for the space at the moment

OP, this is one of those things that you can read for hours and hours on and still have NO frickin' idea what to do. You just have to try it out and see how you like it. I would say get the 520c, if only for matching aesthetics alone. I'm sure I'll be burned at the stake for that one
Molon_Labe likes this.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG 77" C8 - JBL 520/530/580/590 - PSA S3000i + S3600i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra - Apple TV 4K
385 UHD and counting...
post #20 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Where do you get that the eyes are the predominant sensory input for movies? .
This is so bleedingly self-evident that I won't even bother. Why don't you make the argument that music listening is actually visual too, that's why some people spend an arm and a leg for the prettiest speaker cabinets, the prettiest amps, power conditioners and amp cabinets and prettiest cables around? Some people blowing massive and needless sums of money on something surely PROVES that it must be good, right? Uh-huh.

Having large movie watching parties is an entirely different application than the 1-2 person viewing that most people do most of the time. Again, speculative/academic discussion.

I respond mostly to newbies who come to AVS to get better insight than what the idiots working at Best Buy or some snooty audio boutique shops are trying to sell them. Mostly they just want to be able to understand dialogue easily, maybe have some impressive boom-boom effects and lively detail/dynamics here and there. Are they trying to replicate the sound quality of an IMAX theatre or achieve a precise visceral experience of a cinematic gunshot? Hardly. Why should they? There are far better ways to spend one's hard-earned money not to mention time/energy.

Devoted enthusiasts with OCD tendencies and big budgets, heh they've never been my concern nor target audience...I happily leave them to their own devices, literally and figuratively.

post #21 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
OP, this is one of those things that you can read for hours and hours on and still have NO frickin' idea what to do. You just have to try it out and see how you like it. I would say get the 520c, if only for matching aesthetics alone. I'm sure I'll be burned at the stake for that one
Heh, I would actually agree with this advice. Especially seeing as how the 520C is only $140 right now and still has free return shipping...so there's nothing to lose.

@robusto400 - I would be curious to hear which you will prefer with the 530s, the 520 or your current Polk CSi5. Free return shipping = a no brainer to simply try it out for yourself.

post #22 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
I am confused at all the statements on timber matching. The timber will not match on a compression driver speaker i.e. JBL 530 when paired with a ribbon or soft domed tweeter. Whether it matters or it "sounds fine to me" during movies/music is individual preference, but they will not be timber matched. Room correction can get them close to the point many won't care, but we should keep it factual for the OP.

Thank you for bringing some sense to this nonsense. Timbre matching most certainly DOES matter for dozens of reasons I don't have time to elaborate but most have been stated by you following your post above. (I need to get to an appointment.)

OP, take if from a guy who has owned JBLs since the 1960's (still do), that you should seek a closely (timbre) matching center for max enjoyment of the home theater experience. Panning across the L-C-R speakers will show you what does or does not match. JBL has a "sound" and you should keep with that brand, matching actual speakers as closely as possible. (I gave you a few options earlier.)

Good luck with your search.
Molon_Labe likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.

Last edited by Mudslide; 12-03-2019 at 02:42 PM.
post #23 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand you are a proponent for nothing really matters as long as it produces adequate sound and its all marketing and "wives tales" from the evil capitalists going after your money or from misinformed enthusiasts with more money to spend than they have sense..
Quote:
Mostly they just want to be able to understand dialogue easily, maybe have some impressive boom-boom effects and lively detail/dynamics here and there. Are they trying to replicate the sound quality of an IMAX theatre or achieve a precise visceral experience of a cinematic gunshot? Hardly. Why should they? There are far better ways to spend one's hard-earned money not to mention time/energy.
Proof positive you are doing what I said. "There are far better ways to spend one's hard earned money, time, and energy?" How polite and thoughtful of you to tell people how to spend their time, money, and energy. Can you throw in some relationship, political, and parenting advise too? How do you know what their end goal is? You are overlaying your opinion, likes, and dislikes on others and making a myriad of assumptions along the way. You stated that colorization indeed mattered - your words not mine. I gave you objective, proven examples of specific things that can color the sound. Then you backpedal and say colorization only matters with the L/R channel and only with music - center channel need not apply because movies are a visual experience.

Now we have a post of forum member that followed your advice and went with a mix-matched center with a compression driver based L/R speaker. He can clearly hear the difference and that difference is enough to pull him out of the gaming "moment". Keep in mind, this is a well regarded center channel with a loyal following, so its not an issue of it being cheap, inferior components or construction. The center is quality and the L/R are quality but together they just dont mix. What is so difficult about this? Is he now part of the OCD group because he has ears that dont agree with you? Has he nothing better to do with his time, energy, and money than obsess about something that doesn't matter? So much for that visual only experience. Wait, are games different than movies? Sorry, but I am not sure where gaming lies on the Zorba home AV spectrum. Sadly, you now support his decision to go with a matching because its on sale and has a liberal return policy. In the end, what advise cost him the most wasted time, energy, or money?

On a positive note, Best Buy is hiring seasonal audio techs. Let me know if you need any references

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 12-03-2019 at 04:11 PM.
post #24 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Proof positive you are doing what I said. "There are far better ways to spend one's hard earned money, time, and energy?" How polite and thoughtful of you to tell people how to spend their time, money, and energy. Can you throw in some relationship, political, and parenting advise too? How do you know what their end goal is? You are overlaying your opinion, likes, and dislikes on others and making a myriad of assumptions along the way. You stated that colorization indeed mattered - your words not mine. I gave you objective, proven examples of specific things that can color the sound. Then you backpedal and say colorization only matters with the L/R channel and only with music - center channel need not apply because movies are a visual experience.

Now we have a post of forum member that followed your advice and went with a mix-matched center with a compression driver based L/R speaker. He can clearly hear the difference and that difference is enough to pull him out of the gaming "moment". Keep in mind, this is a well regarded center channel with a loyal following, so its not an issue of it being cheap, inferior components or construction. The center is quality and the L/R are quality but together they just dont mix. What is so difficult about this? Is he now part of the OCD group because he has ears that dont agree with you? Has he nothing better to do with his time, energy, and money than obsess about something that doesn't matter? So much for that visual only experience. Wait, are games different than movies? Sorry, but I am not sure where gaming lies on the Zorba home AV spectrum. Sadly, you now support his decision to go with a matching because its on sale and has a liberal return policy. In the end, what advise cost him the most wasted time, energy, or money?

On a positive note, Best Buy is hiring seasonal audio techs. Let me know if you need any references
Congratulations, you've found one person out of the hundreds that I've advised against your timbre-matching superstition who later came to question it. You must feel so vindicated!!! ROTFL

Your logical faculties seem to be overly challenged by the current discussion, so I shall say no more on the subject at the present time, since it's obvious that your cognitive frustration is leading you to resort to personal insults while clutching at whatever straws you can muster. Good night, and may you recover from your exertions in due time!

post #25 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
amen to that.
if a man cant hear the diff in the 2, he needs to be made to stick with a tandy AM radio for all his listening pleasures.......
post #26 of 28 Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Congratulations, you've found one person out of the hundreds that I've advised against your timbre-matching superstition who later came to question it. You must feel so vindicated!!! ROTFL

Your logical faculties seem to be overly challenged by the current discussion, so I shall say no more on the subject at the present time, since it's obvious that your cognitive frustration is leading you to resort to personal insults while clutching at whatever straws you can muster. Good night, and may you recover from your exertions in due time!

sure was peaceful and quiet while you were gone.
where was that you were at again?
Mudslide likes this.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-04-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
sure was peaceful and quiet while you were gone.
Genius always breeds violent opposition.

post #28 of 28 Old 12-04-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I’m not sure why you would not give the infinity reference speakers a try considering how huge of a sale they are having right now. I currently own the JBL studio 2 front and center speakers but ordered the infinity 162 and RC263 to compare. I will be receiving these on Friday and plan to post a review on comparing the two systems. I really like the idea of the Infinity center being a 3 way design so looking testing it out against the JBL 235C.
Zorba922, Soulburner and sigpig like this.

Speakers: Fronts- JBL 230, Center- JBL 235C, Surrounds: Fluance XLBP
Sub: PSA 15V
Processing: Onkyo 676
Video: BenQ 1080ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page