New HT Purchase - Am I considering buying junk? Would love to take advantage of CM - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By tuner1129
  • 1 Post By Mocs123
  • 1 Post By justin962
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 2 Post By justin962
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question New HT Purchase - Am I considering buying junk? Would love to take advantage of CM

Update: I pulled the trigger on a SVS SB12-NSD. Now am looking for a good LCR to pair with it.

Hi everyone!

Long time member, but first time finally owning a home with a dedicated HT room. I've promised myself for 15 years now that when I finally do not have neighbors that I'm going to invest in a sound system so I can enjoy it properly.

I've reached out to a friend that is deeper into this world for some assistance and he's helped me pick a few options that I'd love to run by you guys.

1) Budget: $850 - $1100 for a LCR, satellites, & receiver
2) 75% movies / 20% sports/gaming / 5% music
3) I have a projector and 120" screen
4) We have a 1.5 story home and I'm taking over the entire upstairs. I can provide pictures if needed. The wall with my projector screen is 17' long (120" screen on it) and 8' high. My couch will be approximately 12-13' from the screen and will have about 10ft of open space behind it.
5) I'm honestly new to this world and am a blank canvas. If it helps, I'm looking for a great movie experience, but I have nothing to compare to and will be easily satisfied.
6) Current items I'm considering:

From my research, I know the subwoofer and center channel are the two most important pieces, followed by matching towers, and then spend the least on bookshelf speakers. My friend has given me the following recommendations, but I would greatly appreciate if you have something different in mind for me. I'm pretty easily satisfied and care more about value & not get sucked into the law of diminishing returns, but I don't want to waste money on junk either.

Sub: Bought a SVS SB12-NSD
Towers: Polk T50 ($160/pair), Dayton Audio MK442T ($200/pair) Pioneer SP-FS52 ($300/pair) or BIC Formula FH-6T ($400/pair) or Polk Audio RTiA5 ($400/pair)
Center: Based off whichever towers above
Bookshelf: Open to suggestions as budget allows depending on above choices
Receiver: Haven't dived into them yet, but I imagine I'll need to be around the $300-$350 mark for something to push the above right?

THANK YOU so much for your help!
Justin

Last edited by justin962; 12-02-2019 at 02:47 PM.
justin962 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
If you are close to Iowa, I could make you a deal on some Polk 70's, 50's and a CS2....
lizrussspike is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
If you are close to Iowa, I could make you a deal on some Polk 70's, 50's and a CS2....
Unfortunately I'm in Austin, TX but I appreciate the offer!
justin962 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
tuner1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: So Cal Riverside
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin962 View Post
Hi everyone!



Long time member, but first time finally owning a home with a dedicated HT room. I've promised myself for 15 years now that when I finally do not have neighbors that I'm going to invest in a sound system so I can enjoy it properly.



I've reached out to a friend that is deeper into this world for some assistance and he's helped me pick a few options that I'd love to run by you guys.



1) Budget: $1250 - $1500 for a 5.1 & receiver

2) 75% movies / 20% sports/gaming / 5% music

3) I have a projector and 120" screen

4) We have a 1.5 story home and I'm taking over the entire upstairs. I can provide pictures if needed. The wall with my projector screen is 17' long (120" screen on it) and 8' high. My couch will be approximately 12-13' from the screen and will have about 10ft of open space behind it.

5) I would appreciate some good clean bass, but I'm honestly new to this world and am a blank canvas. If it helps, I'm looking for a great movie experience, but I have nothing to compare to and will be easily satisfied.

6) Current items I'm considering:



From my research, I know the subwoofer and center channel are the two most important pieces, followed by matching towers, and then spend the least on bookshelf speakers. My friend has given me the following recommendations, but I would greatly appreciate if you have something different in mind for me. I'm pretty easily satisfied and care more about value & not get sucked into the law of diminishing returns, but I don't want to waste money on junk either.



Sub: A budget Dayton, BIC Formula F-12 ($210), Bic Acoustech PL-200 II ($260) or SVS SB-1000 ($500)

Towers: Polk T50 ($160/pair), Dayton Audio MK442T ($200/pair) Pioneer SP-FS52 ($300/pair) or BIC Formula FH-6T ($400/pair) or Polk Audio RTiA5 ($400/pair)

Center: Based off whichever towers above

Bookshelf: Open to suggestions as budget allows depending on above choices

Receiver: Haven't dived into them yet, but I imagine I'll need to be around the $300-$350 mark for something to push the above right?



THANK YOU so much for your help!

Justin
I would suggest getting the 1 up the SB100. SVS has a special on there SB12-NSD. Its $400 now which normally its $680 which saves you $100 and you'll get a better subwoofer. I bought 2 just in case I want to put one in the kitchen and 1 in the workshop

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
justin962 likes this.
tuner1129 is online now  
post #5 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Acoustically transparent screen? Are you open to DIY? Have a look at dyisoungroup.com and I'd go with the HT-10's for L/C/R and HT-8's or Volt 6's for surrounds.

I'd go with a VBSS and Behringer NX1000D for the sub. That should run you a little less than $500 but you could add a second VBSS later for under $170 as it would use the same amp. That's a big room, so you will really want more than one sub eventually.

For a receiver, the HT's are easy to drive and you should have no problems finding a receiver in that range to push them. Costco has a Yamaha unit on sale. Accessories 4 Less has good deals on refurb units.


IMO you are going to want to replace a receiver every 5-10 years due to changes in technology. Speakers are good for 20+ years and are the better value for your dollar.
justin962 likes this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Mocs123 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner1129 View Post
I would suggest getting the 1 up the SB100. SVS has a special on there SB12-NSD. Its $400 now which normally its $680 which saves you $100 and you'll get a better subwoofer. I bought 2 just in case I want to put one in the kitchen and 1 in the workshop

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it!
tuner1129 likes this.
justin962 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Acoustically transparent screen? Are you open to DIY? Have a look at dyisoungroup.com and I'd go with the HT-10's for L/C/R and HT-8's or Volt 6's for surrounds.

I'd go with a VBSS and Behringer NX1000D for the sub. That should run you a little less than $500 but you could add a second VBSS later for under $170 as it would use the same amp. That's a big room, so you will really want more than one sub eventually.

For a receiver, the HT's are easy to drive and you should have no problems finding a receiver in that range to push them. Costco has a Yamaha unit on sale. Accessories 4 Less has good deals on refurb units.


IMO you are going to want to replace a receiver every 5-10 years due to changes in technology. Speakers are good for 20+ years and are the better value for your dollar.
Thank you for the advice! I think my wife would appreciate me not going down the DIY route while I'm still DIY'ing our kitchen and have the bathroom next in line, haha! I appreciate the guidance on the receivers & where to shop! I'll definitely take a close look at Accessories 4 Less

Last edited by justin962; 12-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.
justin962 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,695
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 4318
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the first thing I would do is return the SVS sealed sub and get a sub better suited for home theater. The SB12 is the lowest output sub ever tested on data-bass and rolls off pretty hard in the mid 20's. It's not bad for a music sub for a small room or office. If you really want to stick with SVS, I'd definitely go with one of their ported options, but you'll get better bang for your buck with Hsu and Rythmik among others.

However, if you do want a small sealed sub, I'd look at the JBL550P which is on Black Friday/cyber Monday sale until the end of today. Reg price $599 sale $189. Yes its a 10 inch and is "rated" not quite as low as the SVS but I'd be surprised if it rolled off as fast and didn't perform as good or better. It looks like it has quite a beefy driver. I'm soooo tempted to get this for my workout room.........

For reciever, I really like Denons 3x00 series..it will eat up a good chunk of your budget but you get the highest level of Audysey...XT32, along with subeqHT which is probably one of the best sub eq systems out there. It will set up and eq dual subs.

For speakers, here are a few recommendations that I think will be much better than the choices you listed:

Ascend CBM170 and or Ascend CMT340 for LCR, so 3x CBM170 or 2x CBM170 + the 340 for center, etc.

The best bang for the buck out there currently is possibly the DCM speakers on blowout on eBay. Nice bookshelves for around $85/pair(reg 299 or 349), towers for around $250/pair, and a 7 channel setup with towers for $399 before discount.

Here's a link to the 7 channel setup:
https://pricedrightsales.com/product...30190322483236

Discount code BFCM2019 for 10% off, free shipping.

Last edited by bear123; 12-02-2019 at 06:10 PM.
bear123 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,976
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
For a tight budget, my clear preference would be DCM, they are not easy to trump even at higher prices ... the prices are low because they are on clearance ... DCM has good clarity and detail and dynamics for Movies/TV and music.

DCM TP260 towers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...0AAOSwSBddcosb

DCM TP160C
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...wAAOSw6ZVdcU0I

DCM160S Bookshelf
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...oAAOSwh0ldcRTR

Denon 2500 receiver
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-Receive...1&rps=1&sr=8-8

You need a good ported sub, and you will be set ... your call, but I would keep DCM on a short list
justin962 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
For a tight budget, my clear preference would be DCM, they are not easy to trump even at higher prices ... the prices are low because they are on clearance ... DCM has good clarity and detail and dynamics for Movies/TV and music.

DCM TP260 towers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...0AAOSwSBddcosb

DCM TP160C
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...wAAOSw6ZVdcU0I

DCM160S Bookshelf
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-...oAAOSwh0ldcRTR

Denon 2500 receiver
https://www.amazon.com/Denon-Receive...1&rps=1&sr=8-8

You need a good ported sub, and you will be set ... your call, but I would keep DCM on a short list
Thank you for taking the time to help. I hadn't heard of DCM before, but am definitely looking into them now.

How would you compare the TP260C's you linked vs the TFE100's for my use case?

In addition, I'm starting to regret going with the SVS SB12-NSD due to your comment and the user above in saying I should look for a ported sub. Would you agree with the person above's assessment as well? Thanks!

Last edited by justin962; 12-02-2019 at 09:05 PM.
justin962 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,839
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin962 View Post
(snip)

In addition, I'm starting to regret going with the SVS SB12-NSD due to your comment and the user above in saying I should look for a ported sub. Would you agree with the person above's assessment as well? Thanks!
The general recommendation for home theater is a ported sub. Will generally play louder and lower than a sealed sub with the same sized driver. The ported sub's box will be larger, though.

The Monoprice Monolith 10 (https://www.monoprice.com/search/ind...lith+subwoofer) may be a better choice than an SVS PB12-NSD, even though the SVS has a 12" driver. The Monolith is on sale (10% off, direct from Monoprice, with free shipping).
bobknavs is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,976
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin962 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to help. I hadn't heard of DCM before, but am definitely looking into them now.

How would you compare the TP160C's you linked vs the TFE100's for my use case?

In addition, I'm starting to regret going with the SVS SB12-NSD due to your comment and the user above in saying I should look for a ported sub. Would you agree with the person above's assessment as well? Thanks!
The TFE100 towers is a higher level/quality speaker over the TP260 towers ... and the center would be the TFE60C, and only black is available for the TFE60C
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...B/193098253336

The sub I would look at if you want to exchange it, is the SVS PB12-NSD
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb1...saAlFLEALw_wcB

This is the Ebay seller's home website where the prices are a little better ... The TFE100 towers will be cherry finish, as there is only 1 single TFE100 in black
https://pricedrightsales.com/pages/s...lts-page?q=dcm
justin962 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The TFE100 towers is a higher level/quality speaker over the TP260 towers ... and the center would be the TFE60C, and only black is available for the TFE60C
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...B/193098253336

The sub I would look at if you want to exchange it, is the SVS PB12-NSD
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb1...saAlFLEALw_wcB

This is the Ebay seller's home website where the prices are a little better ... The TFE100 towers will be cherry finish, as there is only 1 single TFE100 in black
https://pricedrightsales.com/pages/s...lts-page?q=dcm
Thank you! Would you say the PB12-NSD > PB-1000 and the Monolith?

Last edited by justin962; 12-02-2019 at 09:40 PM.
justin962 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,976
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin962 View Post
Thank you! Would you say the PB12-NSD > PB-1000 and the Monolith?
The SVS PB12-NSD is a $769 sub that is being sold for $499 special price -- and the sub will hit 20 hz .... the Monoloth subs are also nice, if you want to spend for it
justin962 likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
justin962's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
The SVS PB12-NSD is a $769 sub that is being sold for $499 special price -- and the sub will hit 20 hz .... the Monoloth subs are also nice, if you want to spend for it
A sincere thank you for your help. I've swapped the sub for the PB and bought the DCM speakers you've recommended. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this.

One final question - Do you feel the Denon 2500 is worth the extra $50 over the 1500?

Happy holidays
tuner1129 and zieglj01 like this.

Last edited by justin962; 12-02-2019 at 10:10 PM.
justin962 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 18,976
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin962 View Post
One final question - Do you feel the Denon 2500 is worth the extra $50 over the 1500?

Happy holidays
Yes, I would do the Denon 2500 .... enjoy the audio adventure

----------------
Who AM I
zieglj01 is online now  
post #17 of 17 Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
tuner1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: So Cal Riverside
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin962 View Post
A sincere thank you for your help. I've swapped the sub for the PB and bought the DCM speakers you've recommended. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to walk me through this.



One final question - Do you feel the Denon 2500 is worth the extra $50 over the 1500?



Happy holidays
Good move

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tuner1129 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
help a n00b , recommendations

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off