Speaker damage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-02-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Speaker damage

Can you rule out speaker damage If you run a test cd with several test frequency’s and sweeps and all seems fine?

Momentarily obsessed with a slight crackling sound from one speaker , only when played louder than average with certain music but i hear it again if replayed ( no don’t do it) and i’m pretty sure it’s not in the recording

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Tv: Samsung QLED Q8F. Avr: Marantz SR7013. Front speakers : B&W 702s2. Center speaker : B&W Htm71s2. Rear: B&W 707 Sub: Jamo sw 2010. Bdp: Panasonic DMP-BD820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9364 Post(s)
Liked: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryballector View Post
Can you rule out speaker damage If you run a test cd with several test frequency’s and sweeps and all seems fine?

Momentarily obsessed with a slight crackling sound from one speaker , only when played louder than average with certain music but i hear it again if replayed ( no don’t do it) and i’m pretty sure it’s not in the recording

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Try swapping the left speaker to the right and vice versa and see if the crackling moves with the speaker or stays with the same location.

If it stays in the same location it could be a dirty volume control or similar on your receiver/amp, especially if it is an older unit without a remote.

Or simply a loose RCA cable or speaker cable.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Try swapping the left speaker to the right and vice versa and see if the crackling moves with the speaker or stays with the same location.

If it stays in the same location it could be a dirty volume control or similar on your receiver/amp, especially if it is an older unit without a remote.

Or simply a loose RCA cable or speaker cable.
Stays on the same side With swap L R , what worrys me? I hope my 702’s are not damaged

Receiver isnt a year old yet

I will swap speaker cables this weekend

Tv: Samsung QLED Q8F. Avr: Marantz SR7013. Front speakers : B&W 702s2. Center speaker : B&W Htm71s2. Rear: B&W 707 Sub: Jamo sw 2010. Bdp: Panasonic DMP-BD820
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Have you tried band limited pink noise? I once found a problem using that, sweeps did not reveal the problem. Issue was a loose wire on a crossover board and full range was going to the tweeter. By using band limited pink noise (the low freq band), I could hear it getting to the tweeter (should not have been passed to it if the crossover was working properly) and was causing it to distort. Tweeters can't handle LF below their crossover frequency.

Other thing you can do is to listen to the program material that is causing the problem on your speaker on other systems to see if you hear it in the recording.

Trouble shooting things that you can try and how to interpret the results:

Swap the L/R outputs of the source to the input of the AVR. If distortion moves to the other speaker, the cause is the source (recording or device).

Swap L/R speaker cables on output of AVR: if distortion moves to the other speaker, cause is the amp.

Physically swap L/R speakers: if distortion stays on the same speaker, cause is the speaker.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 12-03-2019 at 03:34 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Stays on the same side With swap L R , what worrys me? I hope my 702’s are not damaged

Receiver isnt a year old yet

I will swap speaker cables this weekend
By stays on the same side do you mean it's always on the left/right or did the same speaker make the noise when you swapped to the other side?

Because if it's the former, it's not your speakers. It's probably either the AVR/amp or the wire/connection/connector.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9364 Post(s)
Liked: 6451
Quote:
Sounds like a bad connection/amp failure.

Do you have another pair of speakers to try with the receiver?

Sounds like it still is under Warranty.

Your speakers are fine; it takes a lot to kill a speaker though I admit I did just that in the 70s when in college.

"Idiot with a volume knob" was the cause and the idiot was me!

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 7 Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

New speaker wire with no result, switched speakers: it moves with the speaker so i am positive its the speaker.

Its a distorted sound/slight crackling from the tweeter that i only hear when playing on 60-70 on my sr7013. I never play the **** out of it.

I have a song or two where you really can pinpoint this sound

I dont know what causes it, calling shop tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page