Is it an upgrade to go from Boston Acoustics VR3 to Infinity Reference 253 Speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By Madmax67

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it an upgrade to go from Boston Acoustics VR3 to Infinity Reference 253 Speakers?

In my current home theater setup I use an Onkyo-TXSR605 receiver with Boston Acoustics VR3 floor standing speakers, a Boston Acoustics center channel speaker, and an elemental design A2-300 sub. I bought my whole set up around 2009-2010.

I've been planning to do a big home theater upgrade next year before PS5 comes out with a new TV and receiver. I was going to leave my speakers be and simply add two reference speakers for 5.1, but I just saw the fantastic Cyber Monday deal where I can snag Infinity Reference RC253x2, RC263, RC162x2 for around 600 bucks. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I have the disposable income to make the purchase, but I'd only want to snag the deal if it actually makes sense. My set up is used exclusively for movies & gaming. Would I see a significant improvement over my current Boston Acoustic speakers if I went with the Infinity Reference range? Or would it be about the same/worse and not worth doing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 4318
The VR3's are 91.5-93 dB sensitive, 3 way with dual 7" woofers and measure fairly well.....I can't see the Infinity being an upgrade.....

So for a home theater setup, you will be getting a smaller cab, smaller woofers, lower power handling, and lower sensitivity. It sounds like a step in the wrong direction to me.

I'd upgrade the sub. Big time, your biggest area for improvement. Grab a Hsu VTF3.5 for a huge and drastic upgrade for your theater.
Lp85253, Zorba922 and drh3b like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The VR3's are 91.5-93 dB sensitive, 3 way with dual 7" woofers and measure fairly well.....I can't see the Infinity being an upgrade.....

So for a home theater setup, you will be getting a smaller cab, smaller woofers, lower power handling, and lower sensitivity. It sounds like a step in the wrong direction to me.

I'd upgrade the sub. Big time, your biggest area for improvement. Grab a Hsu VTF3.5 for a huge and drastic upgrade for your theater.
Thank you. That was a direct helpful answer. I will hold off on this purchase. I don't see any cyber monday deal for the Hsu VTF3.5, but I will keep that subwoofer in mind when next year rolls around and I'm ready to upgrade my multimedia room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2834 Post(s)
Liked: 4318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasabin View Post
Thank you. That was a direct helpful answer. I will hold off on this purchase. I don't see any cyber monday deal for the Hsu VTF3.5, but I will keep that subwoofer in mind when next year rolls around and I'm ready to upgrade my multimedia room.
Just don't expect a huge discount ever being offered on that sub. You get about as much bang for the buck with that sub as you can get. Occasionally you see $30 off or something but thats about it. I don't think there is enough markup for a drastic sale as with most retail items.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Just don't expect a huge discount ever being offered on that sub. You get about as much bang for the buck with that sub as you can get. Occasionally you see $30 off or something but thats about it. I don't think there is enough markup for a drastic sale as with most retail items.
There is a huge markup on speakers, sometimes 60-80% for towers, I would think subs can be easily 50%+

I have been a infinity fan since the 80’s, just love their speakers. That is love their old speakers.... not a fan of what they offer now. I did purchase 3 infinity 12in home subs, they are just kinda meh..... not bad, not great.... they were over half off if I recall (I think they are doing the same deal now, under $200 for the home sub). They are unfortunately a big box store brand now.

I have zero first hand experience with what you presently have and those infinity speakers, however for $600 for everything I would stay away.

What do you want to improve with your HT setup? Or I guess what are you missing?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
There is a huge markup on speakers, sometimes 60-80% for towers, I would think subs can be easily 50%+
Big box speakers and subs yes. More niche ID brands not so much.
drh3b likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page