Thoughts on Episode Signature series speakers for surround and atmos? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thoughts on Episode Signature series speakers for surround and atmos?

I'm looking at making some changes to my surround, and rear speakers, and adding atmos. My surrounds are currently Paradigm Atoms, and the rears are Paradigm ADP-170s. I want to make my surrounds flush mount, and am looking to do the same for the rears so they match. The installer I'm working with is recommending Episode Signature series speakers which I'm not familiar with at all. ESS1300T-Point6 for the ceiling, and then ESS1300T-IW6 for the surround/rears. There are optional backer boxes that are made just for these speakers to prevent sound escaping the room which I would get as well.

Anyone have any experience or input on these?

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Episode are one of the highest margin speakers on the market. I ask for a different brand or find a different installer.

They aren’t good and there are much better speakers out there for the money.

Find a dealer that will also discount your system.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks, I was surprised how little info there was out there, even with regards to reviews online. What are some good suggestions for ceiling and in-wall surrounds? I'd like to keep it around $150 each if possible, and it's important that I prevent sound leakage from the room by either a closed back or by building a backer box for it.

Home Theater: Marantz SR6012, Fronts: Paradigm Titans, Sides: Paradigm Atoms, Surrounds: Paradigm ADP-170, Sub: RBH I-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7432 Post(s)
Liked: 5674
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride View Post
Thanks, I was surprised how little info there was out there, even with regards to reviews online. What are some good suggestions for ceiling and in-wall surrounds? I'd like to keep it around $150 each if possible, and it's important that I prevent sound leakage from the room by either a closed back or by building a backer box for it.
For surrounds and in-ceilings, $150 apiece is unneeded unless you plan on doing multi-channel music listening. This is all you really need, and I frankly wouldn't even worry about sound leakage since they do such a tiny % of the HT output anyway (5-15% tops):
https://www.amazon.com/Micca-M-8C-Ce...dp/B002YPS6T6/
https://www.amazon.com/Micca-M-8S-Sp...dp/B003JOPWHK/

Put your money into your sub(s) and front 3 where it actually matters...the center does 70-80% of the output and 99% of the dialogue.

If your installer will only work on speakers that he orders directly, ditch him for one who is not such a blatant greedy slimeball.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 3181
DCM on close-out pricing

The price is for 4 speakers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-Angled-...cAAOSwTfNco6~5

The price is for 4 speakers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-In-Wall...IAAOSwTYZdi9lP

For 2 speakers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-In-Wall...0AAOSw7OZdi9h5

----------------
Who AM I
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride View Post

At $150 each you aren’t giving your installer much help. I see why they recommended Episode now.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page