5.4.1 setup speaker recommendations - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 61
5.1.4 speaker recommendations

Hey Folks,

Setting up a 5.1.4 system, currently only have the sub (HSU) from a previous setup. The system will primarily be used for movies, sports. Any music would be for parties etc. not typical sit and listen to music type experience. That being said, I'd like music to sound good too .

The setup is shown in the attached diagram. Essentially 12.5' feet from the TV, and 10.5' width between L/R speakers. The trick to this setup is that it's not a dedicated HT room, it's essentially a corner of finished basement, so open on the left and back (facing the TV).

Looking at a budget of $3k for the speakers, but willing to move slightly if warranted. I have a Onkyo TX-RZ830 to drive the system.

For the LCR, I'm looking for in-wall or on-wall. Concerned book-shelfs would be too bulky - will stick too far at from the wall. This room is a family room and with kids on the younger side, floor standing speakers and speaker stands are out,.

Ceiling speakers would be traditional round in-ceiling.

Surrounds would be bracket mounted, as there is no wall on the back/left corner (but there is a column I can attach to (shown as small circle in the diagram)

Thanks for any thoughts you can give.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement-finish-speakers.png
Views:	15
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2648648  

Last edited by ReD-BaRoN; 12-02-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 1434
I’d recommend Revel speakers as they have very fine in wall and in ceiling speakers.

They also have some lower profile speakers which come with mounting hardware for the surrounds.

A good choice all around. And an even better choice as you can get a dealer to give you a great discount, ending up with a $4000 system for $3000 or something of the like.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Take a look at Triad Speakers.

We use Triad speakers exclusively. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...w-bronze4-lcr/

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I’d recommend Revel speakers as they have very fine in wall and in ceiling speakers.

They also have some lower profile speakers which come with mounting hardware for the surrounds.

A good choice all around. And an even better choice as you can get a dealer to give you a great discount, ending up with a $4000 system for $3000 or something of the like.
Thanks Russdawg,

Any pointers on dealers I should be checking out? I'm in the metro-west Boston area.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post
Take a look at Triad Speakers.

We use Triad speakers exclusively. Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...w-bronze4-lcr/
Thanks Dawn,

Any thoughts on the room layout? My concern is that I'd be wasting money on good speakers, because the room layout will be working against me.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Is there any way you can cordon-off the space with heavy curtains? That would help quite a bit.

Something like this: https://www.moondreamwebstore.com/so...BoCVzMQAvD_BwE

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page